Home
Yup - no surprises in the 1st two results and no point in dragging them out.
I did think the Browning would have gotten a little more respect though.

So the big one, Winchester vs Marlin. Please explain your choice when you vote.

I don't think is easy, and I wouldn't look sideways at either choice and I'm really interested in the results.
I have owned a 39A for years and would never think of selling it. I have never owned or even fired a 9422 so I can`t really compair the two. I do like the looks of the Marlin over the Winchester if that counts for anything.
I currently own both. A 1976 Winchester m94/22 22LR and a lovely Octagon barreled 1897 built in 1899(same gun as the later m 39 basically).

My first ever rifle was a m9422 and I did consider the Marlin at the time. Over the last 30 years I have owned a half dozen of each.

In the m39s I have owned both 39 Mounties , A models and Texans .They shot well but no better across the board than the 92/22s.

My vote after 40 years of giving both a fair shake is still the m9422.
Between the Marlin and Winchester in 22lr, it would be the 9422. In 22 magnum, the nod goes to the Marlin 1894M......
I've heard of the magnum Marlin but never seen one.
I'm sure they're pretty rare. Anyone know how they shoot?
Have owned both I like the Marlin better. Still own my 1968 Mountie. First gun I ever bought new.
Originally Posted by kragman1

I owned one in the late 1980s. With irons or a scope it shot no better than average m9422M. Pretty much a 2 moa gun( thats 1inch at 50 yards) like most 22 magnums:)

And like the m39s I have owned ,working the action feels like dragging a sled over a pile of rocks compared to an m94/22. Or a Henry for that matter.

Even the action on my 118 year old model 1897 is not as smooth as a m94/22.

So far

Winchester 3
Marlin 2
Have had two 9422's, both gone now, and currently own a 1949 vintage Model 39 with a Lyman peep sight. The Winchesters are/were more nicely finished, lighter and a bit handier. Couldn't say on mechanical accuracy between them, never benchrest tested any of them. Trigger pulls are all about equal - the Marlin breaks very cleanly at about 4 pounds and I don't remember the Winchesters as being particularly great nor bad.

But when it comes to shootability from field positions, IMO the Marlin wins, especially when all rifles are equipped with peep sights. The longer sight radius provides a tad less aiming error and the extra weight out front really steadies it in the hand. The pistol grip places my finger to the trigger just a leetle better as well. I like pretty but put the greatest value on a rifle's ability to let me put shots on target.

So let's update the score to:
Winchester 3
Marlin 3
Marlin for me too. I have a 39AS and a 39TDS. The TDS is about the handiest little deal around when I put it into a takedown case from Skinner sights, which is also wears one of there peep sights.

I did own a 9422 in .22 magnum and had no complaints until I had to buy the ammo.

Marlin 4
Winchester 3

Mine is a very fine shooter. I don't think any of the recent 22 leverguns handles or feeds ammo better than the 94/22s however. My Marlin 22 Mag has to be run correctly or it bobbles; the 94/22s never.

The 94/22 is a magnificent design if you care about such things.

94/22
My 9422 even cycles CB shorts for fun in the basement.
Do the Marlins handle them too?
KM
Pretty sure they do.
I think that was one of the improvements made to the 1897 models vs the 1892 about 25 years before it became the m39..
Well, they're even on the feeding shorts thing, and even at 4 to 4.
Looks like we need more votes to sort this out.
Kragman, I really don't think this little internet poll here is going to "sort out" much with regards to which is "better";)

Both guns have their attributes ,failings, detractors and fans.

Both are beautifully made Classics we will likely never see made in the USA again.

At least if the corporate weasels at Cerberus and FNH have their way.
Originally Posted by jk16

I owned one in the late 1980s. With irons or a scope it shot no better than average m9422M. Pretty much a 2 moa gun( thats 1inch at 50 yards) like most 22 magnums:)

And like the m39s I have owned ,working the action feels like dragging a sled over a pile of rocks compared to an m94/22. Or a Henry for that matter.

any tricks for cleaning up the 39 action?

I have one and thats my only gripe. I love my 39 and cant compare to a Winchester so my vote is Marlin.

Growing up... the only person I know who had a wichester was the rich dentist kid.
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by jk16

any tricks for cleaning up the 39 action?

I have one and thats my only gripe. I love my 39 and cant compare to a Winchester so my vote is Marlin.

Growing up... the only person I know who had a wichester was the rich dentist kid.

Well, I darned sure wasn't a rich kid..:)
I saved up $200 to buy my first .22 and even though I wss sure it would be a lever action, it was sort of an agonizing choice.. The History of the Marlin 39 going back to Annie Oakley's M1891 or the relatively "new" Winchester m94/22...

As to slicking up a m39 action , yeah I guess someone who knows what they are doing could stone and debur some of the parts inside the gun without making it unsafe or unreliable. However-the point of my comment above was a lot of it is LL Hepburn's basic design..I mean Jeezus- if 118 years of hard use won't smooth up an action -nothing will!

My '97 had the crap used out of it before I got it. The bore was completelty shot out and yet it is complete and functions like a new rifle. Even the wood is still sound-no cracks. So, the old gal is currently being torn down and will be sent out to one of the best barrel men in the US for a top notch reline job. I am really looking forward to shooting it once it's done:)
I love them both, but I've only got the Winchester in WMR. I'd like to have a 94/22 in LR, but can't talk myself into the money they seem to bring. I have a couple of the Marlins and can't say anything bad about them...
39M ....
Marlin gets my vote but I sure wouldn't kick a Winchester out of bed if it came along.
6 to 4 Marlin

Let's see if the. votes shift again or if we have a winner...
I have several Marlins and they seem to be a little handier than the Winchesters. That being said the one I'm talking about is the Mountie. All of them shoot great. My Model 39 rifle is an older one made in the early 50's before microgroove came along. That Marlin came from the factory drilled and tapped on the barrel for a side mount. I know, people don't like that mounting system any more but it allows me to install a receiver sight and use it at the same time. It shoots better than I need most of the time and functions well. I kind of like the crunch crunch sound when you work the action, kind of like cocking an old model Ruger Blackhawk. My 1894 22 Magnum will shoot 1 inch groups with select ammo. Over the last few years my only problem is I haven't been able to select the ammo. That is looking up.

I have shot many of the Winchesters. They feel like a model 94 30/30 if that appeals to you, the Marlin 30/30's are more common around here and that has probably influenced me too. Never heard a complaint on a Winchester about function or accuracy and would buy one if they were priced close to the Marlins. Around there they aren't.

The Model 39 was a dream gun when I was growing up and the Winchesters were not even a gleam in an engineers eye. I add a bunch of points for nostalgia and go with the Marlins.
The Winchester is nice, I prefer the Marlin. And as someone posted, I was in the 39 Marlin business before Winchester came up with their gun.

This 39 has been a perpetual project gun since I was a teenager back in the '60's. I got a Fajen stock, fitted it, then checkered it. IIRC, the factory forearm was better wood than the factory stock, so it matched pretty well with the Fajen wood. This gun was at one time set up with scout scope mount, then tang sight for CAS (thus leather wrapped lever), now wearing a VX-2 3-9x40 CDS. Years ago, I did a trigger job, drilled and tapped a set screw ahead of the trigger which functions as a trigger stop. I smoothed the trigger, didn't like the sharp edged, honed the sear until it feels more like an Anschutz than the typical 39 Marlin. Notice how the bases are set up, one on the receiver, one on the barrel.

Like most Marlins, it's very accurate. Years back, I bought a Volquartsen .22 Short 10-22. It had an aluminum bolt, modified mag, SS bull barrel chambered and twisted for the Short. It shot well, but this 39 Marlin grouped the same .22 Short ammo tighter than the Volquartsen. Now, that really made me mad. I sold the Volquartsen barrel, aluminum bolt, modified mag, bought a Green Mountain .22 LR barrel, a steel factory bolt, turned that .22 Short Volquartsen into a .22 LR. My son still has that rifle.

I'm going to get ballistic tape for the Federal Game Shok 38 gr. HP, about my favofite .22 LR hunting round. I'm going to zero at 50 yds, run the tape in 25 yd. increments as far as one turn of the CDS will allow. It should be fun plinking at 200+ yds. This set up should be great for squirrels, will get a chance at them this Fall.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Model 39 IMV is the clear winner, I've had both. The 94/22 is a really nice rifle. These 2 stand way above anything else in a lever.....
I like the looks of the 9422's w straight stock.
Hate their sights though.
Scoped IMHO they look horrible.

Winchester wins in stock form, looks wise.

But if going optics, then a 39 wins...........and preferably a 39M.
Tough choice but slight nod to the Winchester today based on trigger and appearance. My answer may be different tomorrow. My 9422 is a magnum but have shot the LR version as well and they are just slick little guns. I really like my 39A as well and I have had great accuracy out of every one I have tried.
I've had three 9422M over the yrs. 75 yards and in, iron sights.........fun rigs on chucks.
Never thrilled with the iron sights but usable, with younger eyes.
Pops has a mag and reg still.

The ol'lady wants a 39M. I had one yrs ago and let it go...............she was rather grumpy about that.

Eh, I'm not really a lever gun guy.
Maybe a Savage 99F some day.

If I could get any .22 mag............... an H&K300.

Hunting buddy got his dad's 39A. Wears a Burris 2-7X. Has not experimented enough to find an ammo it really likes.
Upset him I think, my 1022 standard (1967) w Volq hammer...............outshooting it.

His 39A doesn't shoot anything horrible, seems to shoot OK with a variety...........but has yet to find what really lays em in there.

Marlin fur me.......this pic is my '54 if I recall........

Take down is easy.......cleaning is a snap........

Got into the '39s kinda late.......but along with this '54..

have a '66...'70 CL...'78....& '81...all 20" Mounties..

great little rifles......just sold a 94-22M.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I think the 39 looks better than the 9422, I have not owned a Winchester but shot my great grandfather's quite a bit, it was accurate. I bought a 39A new and sold it to fund a 52B, but bought a 39M to replace the 39A, I can't see how to improve on a Mountie.

I bought and sold an 1894M for a 400 profit, dumba$$ mistake now that I want one.
Both the Winchester 9422 and Marlin 39 are nice rifles and I could be happy with either. But the Marlin 39D is my 22 LR of choice and has been years.
This one has really grown on me...

[Linked Image]

I switched the original wood off from the more used LR to this Mag version..

[Linked Image]

.. then it was stolen. frown
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
This one has really grown on me...

[Linked Image]

Hey, don't you know you're supposed to keep those Winchesters looking pretty? You're not supposed to actually use one hard...

wink
I think it's pretty, and that ain't "hard". 😁
Klikitarik, I have a few safe queens and a few that have "character". That Winchester looks pretty to me too.
Winchester m94/22 - proven "Alaska Tough".. smile

But unfortunately ,not theft proof..:(
But unfortunately ,not theft proof...(

That absolutely sucks
© 24hourcampfire