Home
Posted By: Zengela Yellow Jackets - 08/10/17
Remington Yellow Jackets, can't find them. OK guys, I admit I'm not a 22lr super guy like some are here. But, they are my favorite flavor. As a youngster I loved them. Always wanted the Stinger but couldn't afford them. This was Pre Viper years. Now I still like them. I know regular Rem Golden's and Thunderbolts are crap so what is your take on current Yellow Jackets?
Posted By: KenMi Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/10/17
I have had better results with Mini-Mags. But, like everything, every gun is different. Some shoot the cheapest stuff as well as the match ammo. It all depends.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/11/17
I use to shoot those yellow jackets a lot back in the 80's and early 90's and had decent results with them. Haven't seen a box of those for sale in I don't know how long. I think I still have a full box laying around here somewhere. But that's all I have left from many moons ago.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/11/17
I tried them way back when, but think Stingers are better, and they can be found.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/11/17
Yellow Jackets were the best 'red-misters' I could lay my hands on in my youth. Stingers had the speed edge, and neither were the most accurate, but YJs had the terminal performance edge so they were what I used.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/11/17
The "other" Remington rimfire ammo that I did like were the Vipers.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/11/17
Originally Posted by Zengela
Remington Yellow Jackets, can't find them. OK guys, I admit I'm not a 22lr super guy like some are here. But, they are my favorite flavor. As a youngster I loved them. Always wanted the Stinger but couldn't afford them. This was Pre Viper years. Now I still like them. I know regular Rem Golden's and Thunderbolts are crap so what is your take on current Yellow Jackets?

There are obviously exceptions, but I think that most .22 LR ammo that currently costs less than $0.10 per round is really only useful for plinking and doesn't have the standard deviation consistency necessary to truly test the accuracy of a rifle or the skills of a shooter.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/11/17
Haven't shot a YJ in decades, but back in the 80's and 90's those things really did some damage. Back then, I'd buy 5000 rounds a year for ground squirrels.

In my old Rem 582 they shot pretty darn well. Actually quite a bit better than the Stingers.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/12/17
I've been trying to locate Yellow Jackets for the last few years; not at ridiculous prices, but like they're-still-in-production prices. Haven't seen any for sale in quite awhile. Last time I was wringing out some untested ammo in my relatively new 10/22 Kidd barrel, I shot up my last two boxes doing accuracy testing. For 5 shots at 50 yards, my average was .84" based on 20 groups. I don't think that's bad at all, and it offers a pretty cool fun factor for blowing stuff up with a .22 LR.

Matter of fact, looking at the numbers, it beat out: CCI Mini Mag HP & SGB; Remington LR HV HP & Subsonic HP; and WW Powerpoint.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/12/17
Another option for those who seek more thump out of their 22 would be Velositors. They group acceptable to good out of most rifles I have shot them in. Not 1/2" @ 50 yard good but easy 1" or under at 50 yards.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/12/17
Yep, my 10/22 averages .80" groups with Velocitors at 50 yards, and while they seem to be the hardest hitting load of all I've tried, and it is pushing a 40 grn HP at extra high velocity, it doesn't have quite the same explosive effect on the light stuff that a Yellow Jackets does. But the Velocitors are a favorite of mine.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/12/17
Yea if explosive effect is what a guy wants then the Velositors tougher bullet is not going to be as entertaining.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/12/17
Those are pretty good, just not quite up to the claims of CCI. Most tests I've read show them about 100fps or so over regular HS, with a heavier bullet usually. In general they shoot about like MMs, which is okay.

Stingers have shot very well in general, but have had more fliers than most, and kill stuff very dead. Been a while, but I remember they really made starlings pop.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/12/17
CCI stingers are back on most shelves again.
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/12/17
Exploded a lot of squirrels heads with yellow jackets. Always shot good out of my old Remington pump.
Kinda wish I still had that thing.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/13/17
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
CCI stingers are back on most shelves again.

Love stingers for killing, got to like them, i got 40 cases of them
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/13/17
What was the solid nosed TC version of the Yellow Jacket called?

ETA: Vipers!
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/19/17
Bought a case of both stingers and Yellowjackets years before the O slithered into office.. Still have quite a few of both.. The shoot fine in my 513Match and CZ.. Excellent red misters as someone pointed out.. I like them both in the guns that shoot them well.. But CCI's shoot fine in everything.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/19/17
Yellow Jackets have always been more accurate in my rifles than Stingers. The only exception to that was an old Remington 512. That rifle loved Stingers.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/20/17
I was really into Stingers and Yellow Jackets until I bought my first .22 WMR. After that, there wasn't much point so I went back to the normal 1,200 fps rounds.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/20/17
I have tried pretty much all the hyper fast stuff. Stingers were the original and work well but the case is .010" longer and leave a ring in the leade of your rifle and can affect accuracy for the regular LR stuff. They have never been particularly accurate for me either. I have killed a lot of prairie dogs with Yellow Jackets. My all-time favorite hyper speed 22 LR is Aguila Super Maximum. I have NOT been able to locate any for quite a while. It is on par with the accuracy of any of the high velocity ammo I have tested. It is great stuff if you can find it.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/20/17
My parents used to buy me a case of yellow jackets for Christmas every year. I loved them. Why you guys using them on such small critters????
Posted By: Ella Re: Yellow Jackets - 08/21/17

I was a fan of YJs while they could be got. Got better accuracy than stingers, shot pretty flat. Good .22 killing ammo.
© 24hourcampfire