Home
Posted By: jonesmd4 Ivers Johnson .22 - 10/03/17
I picked up an Ivers Johnson .22 Supershot Sealed Eight a couple of weeks ago from my LGS. It's a double action top break eight shot revolver. They were made between 1947 and 1954. There's not much finish left. It's mostly brown, but it locks up tight and is well timed. I just got a chance to shoot it for the first time last week. What a hoot! I was surprised by how accurate it is. The sights are pretty small for someone who's about the same age as the gun is, but I'm happy. Groups were about as good as I can shoot any handgun. They were about three inches low and the screw holding the sight was stuck tight (go figure!). I put some Kroil on it later and broke it loose and made an adjustment guess. I'll be sure to take the proper screwdriver with me next time. I've never owned a top break before. I was surprised by how easy and fast it is to load. The box of 325 Federal bulk was more than half empty before I knew it, and the barrel was almost too hot to touch! I hadn't expected to do any more than function test it. I was actually at the range to sight in a couple of deer rifles. Next time I'll bring a bunch of different .22 loads and see what it likes.

Mike

Attached picture Ivers Johnson 22 (2).JPG
Posted By: moosemike Re: Ivers Johnson .22 - 10/03/17
Very cool!
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Ivers Johnson .22 - 10/03/17
I like stuff like that, those and the H&R Sportsman were pretty good guns, though S&W and Colt overshadowed them. The first handguns I ever shot belonged to my uncle, who had an H&R Trapper 7-shot .22, and an H&R in .32. Neither were much to look at, but they were fun to shoot. Add to them, the old High Standard Double Nines and variants, and there were some pretty good wheelguns available for those who couldn't afford a Smith or Colt.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Ivers Johnson .22 - 10/04/17
i have my dads sealed 8. he bought it right after ww2 for a snake gun. it has some timing issues and needs a good gunsmith to go over it one of these days.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Ivers Johnson .22 - 10/04/17
I saw a sealed 8 about a year ago, neat looking gun, but it also had the timing off and I passed on it.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Ivers Johnson .22 - 10/04/17
Awesome old shooter
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Ivers Johnson .22 - 10/04/17
My grandad had a sealed eight, not the Supershot, single action, pull the cylinder pin, push out the cylinder and use the pin to punch out the empties. Not a fast reload but you get there. Rear sight was a V-notch on the hammer. Successfully squirrel hunted with it as a teen.
© 24hourcampfire