Home
I have a CZ 452 with a Simmons 22 Mag scope-which works well until I attempt to shoot in low light. What would be a good scope for hunting and one that would perform well in low light situations? I would be fine with a fixed 4 or variable. I like the size and weight of the Simmons and would like something sized similarly.

Thanks
Find a used Leupold used 4x or 6x, send it back for a parallax adjustment if so inclined. Heavy duplex mebbe?
I actually just bought a Leupold 4x but it was meant for a 30-30 lever. I do like it however and I can see how it would be a good fit. I did not even think about it as a good fit for the 22 until I read your post.

Thanks!
You might consider a red dot. Millett makes the SP-1 which has a 3MOA dot. Have three, one on a .22, another on a 77/44 and #3 for a wildcat CF I use.

Some 50 yard load work for the .30 Sneezer:

[Linked Image]

Self explanatory:

[Linked Image]

And some plinking with the .22:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I have a like new Leupold matte 4x rimfire (fine crosshair).
It's a short scope and looked perfect on my Anschutz 184.
Sold that rifle though, so thought I'd put the 4X on my 10/22 build.......but it wears a Titan stock and the scope looks too short (I put a 2-7X on it, looks better).
Ran alum Burris rings on 184, and the 10/22 wears Signatures, so no ring marks on scope.
Sits in factory box............on my kitchen island.
Two things will allow you to shoot in low light. Good fully multi coated lens, and an appropriate odjective lens size for the magnification power setting you wish to shoot at that will allow proper exit pupil size. The previous mentioned use of a 3-9 Leopold with a factory readjusted parallax setting will definitely get you there. A nice VX3 readjusted should give you everything you want and then some.
The Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9X40 with BDC. They're $119.00 and are deadly on the killing fields.

[Linked Image]

Clark
Are those pro staffs parallax set for rimfire?
Yeah. There are two versions. The rimfire version is $119. The regular is usually $170 or so.

I am not even sure what prompted me to try one but I'm glad I did. Any gopher 125yds and under is fugking dead with those two rifles. The BDC is awesome.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
Yeah. There are two versions. The rimfire version is $119. The regular is usually $170 or so.

I am not even sure what prompted me to try one but I'm glad I did. Any gopher 125yds and under is fugking dead with those two rifles. The BDC is awesome.

Travis

What fps is the BBC set up for? They look like stingers in the box
An associate gave me a Leupold Vari-X ll 3-9 X 40, which I shipped back to the factory for a parallax adjustment to sixty yards. I mounted it on a Winchester Model 190, where it has served very well. It fits the rifle well and even looks good. I like having the 40 MM objective, too.
I have a Leupold 4X rimfire on my 452. It's a nice fit for that model IMO and 4X is fine for my needs which are seldom over 50yrds.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gemby58

No idea. But I've used a variety of speeds and it seems to be workable with all of them.

Good eye by the way. That was a bulk pack of Stingers.

Dave
The old Burris signature Mini 3-12 with target knobs and paralax adjustment down to 10 yards has served me well for many, many years, fine duplex. I put a strip of automobile pen striping material on the target knob and marked the yardage to 150 yards. We mowed down ground squirrels.

10/22 Ruger with a 40x barrel, chamber re cut to a match chamber.
The Leupold 3-9X EFR or an old VX3 3.5-10X 40mm AO or the 4-12X VX2 40mm AO.........would be excellent choices IMHO.
The old VX2 was friction knobs though, and maybe the old EFR. I can't remember on it.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by gemby58

No idea. But I've used a variety of speeds and it seems to be workable with all of them.

Good eye by the way. That was a bulk pack of Stingers.

Dave

Love those Stingers, I have 34 cases to burn up. Have a Remington 581 with a Leupold 4x12 that will shoot one hole at 50 yards, many many squirrels died by that rifle
I got a VXsumpin 1-4x20 shotgun scope that I like pretty well on my 883. It's a good fast action hunting scope with a fat crosshair, and the closest thing to open sights with it dialed down on 1. HUGE field of view.

But I'm likin' the looks(and price) of that Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 as it would be a better target scope with more zoom and a more precise reticle.

I had one of the first Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC centerfire scopes. And while it had fantastic glass, it was a bit blockier looking than the new rimfire version.
Probably still have to mod the bolt handle a bit to clear, but I think I'd like it for the old Marlin.

Either would be an excellent choice for the CZ too...depending on use.
On a non flat bolt handle Marlin I added the flat, and during bolt removal for cleaning would still bump the eyepiece.
Filed a little bevel at rear of receiver, and bolt block to help get it to turn down at the last second.
Worked.
Originally Posted by hookeye
On a non flat bolt handle Marlin I added the flat, and during bolt removal for cleaning would still bump the eyepiece.
Filed a little bevel at rear of receiver, and bolt block to help get it to turn down at the last second.
Worked.

Yeah, I can't even take the bolt out with that little 1-4 on it. But thanks to it's forgiving eye relief I can work the action without contact.

Was thinkin' a double bend and a flat if I had too. But that receiver bevel might come in handy!

Thanks for the tip!
You're welcome:)

I had a Redfield (Leupold made Revolution) on a .22 mag Marlin bolt.
Used Burris steel .22 rings.

The bolt handle would ding the scope (removal or cycling- can't remember).

Mine was older and did not have the flat at the curve of the bolt handle for clearance. So I made the flat. Still bonked when removing bolt for cleaning (I remember that).

Solution was to bevel low side of bolt groove in receiver, right at the back.
Then I put a bevel on the lower front corner of the bolt handle "lug".
Just a small 45 degree deal at each spot.

This allowed me to rotate the bolt down a bit as it exited the receiver.
I'm using a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 w/AO on my Ruger 77-22.
Tempted to move my 4-12X AO VX2 to the 10/22 build ..........but it works well on my 700 .243win.
No chucks around anymore, just yotes..........thought about getting a reg 3-9X for the Rem
Really need a 3-9X EFR for the 10/22 but am a cheapskate.
Now I'm thinking about getting the centerfire version of the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 for my old Marlin 60 that will be used as a 100 yard target gun. It's a 100 yard parallax, and also has 1/4 inch 100 yard click adjustment versus the 1/4 inch 50 yard adjustment on the rimfire versions. The rimfire versions all have 50 yard parallax, except the Rimfire II 4-12x40 has 75 yard parallax.

The regular Prostaff, and the original Prostaff Rimfire( pre Rimfire II) are listed by Nikon as having 98% light transmission, which is fantastic and more than ANY other scope that I remember.
Also they have the Euro-style fast focus eyepiece, which I would prefer for a target rifle.

The Rimfire II, while still a really nice scope(and less expensive than the original Rimfire), is supposed to have around 92% light transmission.
Also has the slimmer ocular with the American style multi-turn and locking focus adjustment. And I think a little lighter weight. It's a more appropriate hunting scope in my view. Also, the smaller ocular would give more room on a bolt action.

The Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC is on sale now for $189(about twice what I have in the 60). The Nikoplex reticle model is the regular $219. The Rimfire II 4-12x40 is $139, and weighs about an ounce less I believe.

I'm mainly looking at the 4-12x40 over the 3-9x40 because I want to mount it low and the extra length should help to clear the rear sight on the 60.
i still like the clearidge rimfire 3-9x. japanese optics, clicks work and dont need tools, adjustable parallax. the SWFA 6x is awesome its just ... huge.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Tempted to move my 4-12X AO VX2 to the 10/22 build ..........but it works well on my 700 .243win.
No chucks around anymore, just yotes..........thought about getting a reg 3-9X for the Rem
Really need a 3-9X EFR for the 10/22 but am a cheapskate.

I originally bought my VXII 4-12 AO for my Annie 22 lr. It's been used on 3 different center fires and killed several deer. Every time I bought a new rifle and didn't have funds to scope it ,I stole that VXII off my Annie for a while.
Magnification is your friend in low light conditions assuming that the scope gathers the maximum light that your eyes can use.
A conquest 4x would be a great bet. Have one on my 452. Though concede the 4x leup posted above would be the tidiest size, and the weaver or Nikon the best bang for the buck.
© 24hourcampfire