Home
Recently got a Ruger 10/22 with a stainless barrel threaded for a suppressor (maybe one day) with a cap on the threads that backs off under recoil.

I know I'm going to lose that cap in the weeds it if I don't do something. Thought about blue Loctite but I'm reluctant sometimes to follow my first impulses.

Would there be a problem with residue if I later wanted to put a suppressor on the barrel?
not if you clean it off.....
You could get a cheap flash hider if you wanted to increase the cool factor
Degrease and blue loctite.

Will never be an issue.

Travis
You just need it a little stuck on, not to the point that you need a pliers. Maybe just a little shellac or Elmer's white glue. Get all the oil off the parts and you can always work up to the Loctite option if the shellac doesn't work. What's the worst that can happen? So you lose the cap somewhere, it's not like you can't get another one from Ruger for a few bucks.
I'd clean and degrease it as much as possible, and rub some bar soap on the threads. That'll fill any voids, and keep it from working loose, and it's temporary. Nothing fancy, and you have the solution in your house already, and costs nothing.
Get that aluminum powdered grease for shotgun choke tubes.

Flave’s solution will need a propane torch to defeat blue Locktite. Needs 600*, IIRC. Tap it after heating it, it’ll come loose.

DF
Posted By: TWR Re: 10/22 threaded cap ejection - 11/10/17
Get a peel washer or even a crush washer used in timing flash hiders. Use man hands when you tighten it up.

I swapped my can out for a thread protector from time to time and didn't want to use loctite, a peel washer worked great.
Thanks, all.

A couple of these suggestions I never thought of. Blue electrical tape I thought of but these sound better.
Posted By: Kp321 Re: 10/22 threaded cap ejection - 11/11/17
Find a thin o ring at the hardware store that will fit into the thread relief groove on the barrel. It will keep the thread cap on yet allow easy removal.
We have a winner.

An o-ring 1/2"O.D. x 3/8"I.D. x 1/16" fits into that groove like it was designed for it. I turned the cap down finger tight and it stayed right there for 50 rounds at the range.

Slick little trick. Thanks Kp.
© 24hourcampfire