Home
Posted By: GSPfan Cooper 17 HMR - 03/08/18
I'm looking for a high end 17 HMR and considering one of the offerings from Cooper. Does anyone have any experience with one?
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/08/18
I have a Cooper model 57 Custom Classic that is absolutely a tack driver
Posted By: drover Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/08/18
I had a Cooper Classic 57M in 17 HMR and it would easily shoot 5 shot 1/2" groups @ 100 yds on a calm day, a friend has a Cooper 57M Varminter in 17 HMR and his shoots the same. A sample of two but both are great.

The only reason I still do not have mine is because I am underwhelmed with the 17 HMR.

p.s. - I was just looking a Cabelas flyer that has boxes of 50 17 HMR ammo for $9.99

drover
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/09/18
Had a Cooper 57 LVT in .17 HMR. It shot good, not as good as this Annie 1717.

Cooper went down the road, Annie's still here.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MLF Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/09/18
I don't have one but my hunting partner has 5 Coopers, one is a .17HMR, they are all tack drivers and well built. Another friend in Washington State sold his Anchutz to get a Cooper and his shooting club members are following suit.
I like Coopers, have a .22LR Classic with 2-7 Kahles rimfire scope that's a keeper.

This particular Annie outshot the Cooper. Some things I like about the Cooper better, but kept the Annie, traded the Cooper.

DF
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/09/18
I have a Cooper 17 Mach 2. It’s a great rifle in a great chambering.
Finding ammo?

DF
Posted By: Rolltide Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/11/18
I have 57-M Varminters in 17HMR and 22LR. Both shoot exceptionally well and will hang with my Anschutz, Sako's Volquartsen and KIDD.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/13/18

I've got a Cooper custom classic in 17 HMR.

It's a GREAT shooing rifle!

My best five shot group, at 30 yards has all five 17 cal. bullets in the same hole.

Virgil B.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/13/18
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

I've got a Cooper custom classic in 17 HMR.

It's a GREAT shooing rifle!

My best five shot group, at 30 yards has all five 17 cal. bullets in the same hole.

Virgil B.

What ammo?

DF
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/14/18
Hornady 17 grain.

It always shot the best groups in my Cooper, and a Ruger 77-17 that I had before the Cooper.

Virgil B.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/14/18
CCI TNT 17 gr. ammo shot best in my Annie. The Horn 17 gr. did good, just not as good.

DF
Posted By: shootAI Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/22/18
My cooper 17’s shoot exceptional but my cooper Mach 2 is maybe the most accurate gun I have witnessed. My anschutz is very nice but can’t group with cooper’s. I would highly recommend if in your budget. I have a classic and a LVT. I much prefer the classic for most situations. My coopers prefer A17 ammo over anything else. The CZ’s and Annie like the hornady.
Posted By: Vasquez956 Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/24/18
Man I wish I could afford a Cooper. I would probably get a Mach 2 tho. Sweet lookin rifles.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 03/25/18
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Finding ammo?

DF

If that was directed at me-ammo is not a problem. I bought 2 cases of Eley when it was cheap. I found 1k rounds of ammo both last year and this year. I’m good on the Mach2.
Posted By: centershot Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by drover
I had a Cooper Classic 57M in 17 HMR and it would easily shoot 5 shot 1/2" groups @ 100 yds on a calm day, a friend has a Cooper 57M Varminter in 17 HMR and his shoots the same. A sample of two but both are great.

The only reason I still do not have mine is because I am underwhelmed with the 17 HMR.

p.s. - I was just looking a Cabelas flyer that has boxes of 50 17 HMR ammo for $9.99

drover

Cliff's in Boise has a used Cooper 22-250 - test target is just one tiny little hole. Beautiful rifle in one of the best ever varmint calibers. (Just in case you have $1750 burning a hole in your pocket)
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 04/09/18
I have the Varmint Extreme in 223, 22-250 and 25WSSM all are excellent rifles which is the biggest reason I would look at a Cooper in 17HMR
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by centershot

drover

Cliff's in Boise has a used Cooper 22-250 - test target is just one tiny little hole. Beautiful rifle in one of the best ever varmint calibers. (Just in case you have $1750 burning a hole in your pocket)

Those factory groups are not at 100 yds. Check it out. Still pretty good.

IIRC, they are shot on an indoor range, less than 50 yds. That rifle will probably do 1/2" at a hundred, maybe better.

They don't specify yardage. To me, the implication is 100 yds with a center fire rifle, 50 yds with a rimfire.

DF
The do use an indoor range but all my Cooper varmint rifles will make one ragged hole at 100 yards.
Originally Posted by GSPfan
The do use an indoor range but all my Cooper varmint rifles will make one ragged hole at 100 yards.

Yeah, they are great shooters. I was just wanting to make a truth in advertising statement, although it's more implication than anything specifically stated.

I was under the assumption of 100 yds. with centerfires until I found out otherwise.

DF
IIRC their target states its an indoor range and shot at 35 yards.
Posted By: drover Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 04/09/18
Actually the indoor range at the old Cooper facility was a bit less than 50 yds, the indoor range at the new facility is a true 50 yds. I have been in both of them at both the old and new facility and can vouch for the yardages.
Both rimfires and centerfires are shot at 50 yds the centerfires are guaranteed to shoot 1/2" 3-shot groups at 100 yds. I agree since the yardage is not stated on the test targets most people assume that it was shot at 100 yds.

drover.
I like Coopers, have had several.

It's wouldn't take much extra ink to print 50 yds on each target...

DF
I agree. Wouldn't it fall under truth in advertising vs vague assumptions. I'm playing with a Montana Varminter (I thought I ordered another Varmint Extreme) in 220 Swift. I could have sent it back but didn't want to wait for the replacement. prairie dog shooting is just around the corner.
Posted By: centershot Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 04/10/18

drover

I'm aware that the test target is shot at ~50 yards. Still the target attached to that rifle is exceptional. Chances that this rifle will bughole at 100yards are very good.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Cooper 17 HMR - 04/10/18

drover

I'm aware that the test target is shot at ~50 yards. Still the target attached to that rifle is exceptional. Chances that this rifle will bughole at 100yards are very good.

Probably be a bughole, just twice as large, all things being equal.

DF
© 24hourcampfire