Home
I've been meaning to refinish this rifle for a old time now. It was my first gun. The stock was refinished prior to me owning it. The blueing was pretty good but some of the screw were buggered. On the metal parts like the handstop rail, bottom metal, and screw I tried to match blueing by mixing KG Gunkote blue and Satin Black. The stock I stripped and refinished with Chem Oak from Brownells. She looks brand new. I can't wait to try her out tomorrow at the range at work. The old finish was a bitch to remove. I even glued the safety indictors in with epoxy!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice job on the refinish, the stock looks great. While my HS rifle team had Winchester 52's and Springfield 1922 M2's I sometimes shot the Mossberg 144's and did about as well with them as with the 52's and M2's. For more of a utilitarian type rifle they shot very well in my experience.
Imagine me being left handed what a bitch shooting prone. I moved on to an Anschutz 1813L but Ill always love this rifle.
I used one of those for a couple years when I first started shooting competitively. Shot pretty good for a cheap rifle. Not quite as good as the Winchester 52D I went to later but still pretty darn good.
Nice work Brian !!
GREAT JOB ON THAT GUN!
Nice!!!
I like that a lot, very nice.
Looks good.
good work!
I won a few postal matches and a couple of trophies shooting the 144US in high school. I need to get one.

Nice.
We kept them in a couple of tall, school lockers in a classroom. Probably about 10 of us students had the combo to the lockers. Times they have changed.
Very nice. Let us know how you do at the range
Nice work. Mine (cmp) is a tack driver
Excellent!
Next I'll post the Kimber 82 Government I'm in the process of restoring.
Originally Posted by bhoges
Imagine me being left handed what a bitch shooting prone. I moved on to an Anschutz 1813L but Ill always love this rifle.

I had a left handed mod. 144. It had an aperture site and someone carved a squirrel on the for end. Shot lights out but I sold it for an Anshutz. Was always worried I would lose the magazine.
I had one of those for many years. Bought it off the President of a gun club that I was a member of when I was stationed in Nebraska. I removed the Lyman 48 peep and replaced it with a scope and for many years it was my primary squirrel rifle. Yes it was heavy but it was very accurate. I shot that rifle a lot in competition too.

About a year ago I sold it off because it was replaced by my CZ-452. Even though I bought the CZ about 15 years ago I still kept that 144 around for sentimental reasons.
We had several 144s for our high school rifle team. I shot a Winchester 52, and there were a couple 40Xs, too, but mostly Mossbergs. Mossbergs or not, we usually cleaned the clocks of the JROTC teams we shot against. (It was the singers, not the song, we had excellent coaches, they had NCOs who were assigned the job "in addition to other duties").

The Mossbergs in my fellow shooters hands would beat those Anschutz rifles packed by those JROTC kids virtually every match.
Good job!
Outstanding!!
You did a really nice job refinishing the old Mossberg.....I too am a big fan of Mossbergs and have 151s, 42s, 46s, 146s, 144s, and probably a few others I’ve “forgotten”. The one thing they have in common though is they all are very accurate. One of the 42s I have is just as accurate as a couple of rifles that I paid about 10-20X the price I got the Mossberg for - have used that rifle in some competitions and beat Anschutz, Winchester, CZ, Cooper, etc.....man does that piss some people off😄

PennDog
Well done sir!
Excellent!

Mike Holmes
Nice job of work. Something to be proud of.

I too had brushes with infamy when shooting one of those as an adolescent. It inspired me to save my nickels and buy my first rifle with my own money (a M52). Funny thing, I loved shooting that Mossberg and bellyached to my old man to buy me one. I thought my pleas fell on deaf ears but lo and behold there was a long box under the Christmas tree. (Shades of "A Christmas Story"- perhaps it's why I like that movie so much.) But unlike Ralphie my dream wasn't entirely realized- inside the box was a Mossberg, sure, but rather a bottom of the line semi-auto. It was, and remains, a fun gun to shoot but wasn't the target rifle I really wanted. My first lesson in taking responsibility for my own dream realizations.

Kids today need more .22's and fishing rods and fewer digital games.
© 24hourcampfire