Home
Posted By: FieldGrade New 10/22 - 10/11/18
Brownells recently had em on sale for $199 OTD so I picked up a Carbine.
Course I immediately took it home and turned that $200 rifle into a $300 rifle with a set of Tech peep sights and the usual trigger kit, modified bolt release and synthetic buffer.
It's just for plinking on my little 25yrd range out back where I shoot my handguns so the peep sight's perfect.....it has two apertures for 25 and 50 yrds. They're pretty slick but I didn't realize that I needed one of their wrenches until I had the sights. They're cheap though....I have one on the way.

I shot a couple of mags of bulk Federal first....they were some jamming sonsabitches so naturally I thought "oh great, here we go" but then I tried some CCI SV and Mini Mags (2 mags each) and it ran flawlessly. Kinda wierd for a 10/22 ....they usually feed everything.....but that's fine with me.....I've got a butt load of CCI on hand.

Here's a link to the Tech Sights for those that aren't familiar with them.

https://www.tech-sights.com/ruger-products/

[Linked Image]

Posted By: jk16 Re: New 10/22 - 10/11/18
Even a 10/22 will not feed and function 100% with [bleep] ammo, which the Federal HP bulk pack stuff usually is. Their Automatch bulk is OK but that HP stuff sucks.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: New 10/22 - 10/11/18
Yea.....I'm finding that out.
I ran across a good deal on Fed a while back so I picked up a couple of bricks.
It seems to function is a couple of other auto's I tried it in but I get a lot of duds.
I'm down to about 50rnds and won't be buying any more.
You're right about the Auto Match though.....it's flawless in my MKIV and Browning 1911/22.
Walmart keeps a pretty good supply of it so I go through a lot.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: New 10/22 - 10/16/18
i have a leupold 4x rimfire just waiting for me to get a 10/22 carbine for it.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New 10/22 - 10/16/18
Federal Game Shok 38 gr. HP ammo is very accurate and deadly on game. One of my favorites.

CDS on this 39 is set up for that round.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jk16 Re: New 10/22 - 10/17/18
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Federal Game Shok 38 gr. HP ammo is very accurate and deadly on game. One of my favorites.

CDS on this 39 is set up for that round.

DF

[Linked Image]

No doubt, but not the same thing as their 36g HP bulk packed crap discussed here.

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New 10/22 - 10/17/18
Yeah, I don't buy that stuff. Some of the W/W bulk stuff has been less than stellar.

I don't plink and burn thru ammo enough to need or want cheap bulk stuff.

DF
Posted By: jk16 Re: New 10/22 - 10/17/18
Yeah, I don't buy that stuff. Some of the W/W bulk stuff has been less than stellar.

I don't plink and burn thru ammo enough to need or want cheap bulk stuff.

DF

I don't blame you..

Most of what I shoot is the goid stuff as well.
Posted By: Kp321 Re: New 10/22 - 10/17/18
Life is too short to waste time on cheap 22 ammo! I go through around 7000 rounds of 22 per year and have limited myself to CCI SV, Federal Automatch, Aguila, and Eley. Others I shoot with have had very good luck with CCI Blazer which is about the same price as bulk boxes from other manufacturers. If you watch the sales at Palmetto and Target Sports and are willing to buy in large lots, premium ammo is as affordable as the bulk c**p.
The high velocity Aguila Super Extra shoots as well as CCI Mini-Mags for a lot less money.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: New 10/22 - 10/18/18
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

My 4X Rimfire sets on a Mannlicher stocked 10/22

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Kp321
Life is too short to waste time on cheap 22 ammo.

I swear the rimfire forum's getting as bad as the optics forum.
After half a century of shooting rimfires I don't need a lecture ammo. I know a little bit about quality 22 ammo.......
The federal was on sale so I tried some and passed my results on....that's all.
I can assure you it won't happen again though.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New 10/22 - 10/18/18
So much can be done with the 10-22. This one has a Volquartsen barrel, Hogue stock, Jard trigger group, topped with a 1.5-5x20 Leupold.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: New 10/22 - 10/18/18
Jk16: I am a user and admirer of the Federal 36 grain H/P bulk pack ammo - I have been using it in SEVERAL of my semi-auto and bolt action 22's on small game and Varmints for many years now.
It is accurate and lethal on said targets - I do on occasion endure a FTF (fail to fire) with this ammo but that is a very minor (trivial) inconvenience.
This past year, alone, I went through eight 550 and 525 bulk packs of the stuff (over 4,400 rounds!) while afield.
The accuracy and performance and the savings on this ammo keeps me using it.
In fact, of recent, I have been buying the 550 bulk packs of this Federal H/P ammo at Wal-Mart for $19.97 a carton!
Thats 3.6 cents a shot!
Your contention is in no way convincing me to quit using this ammo at all.
Maybe you are over sensitive?
I Varminted with at least 30 different Hunters this year on predominantly rimfire safaris/shoots.
About 1 out of 7 or 8 of those "Hunters" when they had a "misfire, fail to feed or fail to fire" with rimfire ammo would literally "go off", themselves - I mean they would become personally incensed on those rather rare occasions when a 22 L.R. round did not perform "perfectly" - I don't know (nor do I care!) if they noticed my laughing at them!
Work the friggin action I would snarl at them and get on with it!
In short I do not expect a bulk offering of 22 L.R. ammo at 3.6 cents a round to be "perfect"!
I do expect that the Federal 36 grain H/P bulk pack ammo to work just as well next season for me as it has for the last MANY seasons.
Anyway I disagree (based on more than 80,000 rounds down the tubes!) that Federal 36 grain bulk pack ammo is [bleep]!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Judman Re: New 10/22 - 10/18/18
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

After half a century of shooting rimfires I don't need a lecture ammo. I know a little bit about quality 22 ammo.......

[Linked Image]

I really like those!! Need to pick me up a Mannlicher
Posted By: deflave Re: New 10/22 - 10/18/18
Originally Posted by Judman

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I really like those!! Need to pick me up a Mannlicher

I love those. No idea why but I do.
Posted By: Boxer Re: New 10/22 - 10/19/18
Dude Lickers suck heavy ass and from every angle...especially when wearing Reupold and Blued Walnut. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

AMT soundly whooped Ruger many moons ago,by actually offering a S/S 10/22 and Mk/22 Pistole receiver/frame. Have their(AMT's) 10/22's in both Pinch Lock and Threaded Barrel,along with rear "lug"(which I always remove).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Have better than a dozen and have BT/DT and have ALL of the T-shirts and then some. Hint.

The OP's Iron Sights are a fhuqking joke too. The ammo "R&D" equally fhuqking hilarious!

It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

You've been led to water.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: New 10/22 - 10/19/18
F U C K Y O U needle dick.

Keep talking chit while hiding behind that key board you F U C K I N G runt..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: New 10/22 - 10/19/18
So much can be done with the 10-22. This one has a Volquartsen barrel, Hogue stock, Jard trigger group, topped with a 1.5-5x20 Leupold.

DF

[Linked Image]

I recently sold my 10-22, in favor of my A17.. The A17 is so much more consistently accurate.
Posted By: Shag Re: New 10/22 - 10/19/18

Never mind Boxer my friend. Hes got awesome stuff and knows his stuff. But pleasing him is a epic waste of time.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: New 10/22 - 10/19/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: killerv Re: New 10/22 - 10/19/18
They are fun, have had my share of them. All I have now is a heavy barrel target I built and a sporter model. LGS had a nice mannlicher stainless the other day on the used rack but it had already been an expensive month with a ruger compact in 260 and a remington 541t

For some reason I want the m1 carbine model. Looks like it would be fun.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: New 10/22 - 10/19/18
10/22s carry some freight OK, but I've never gone down the dress'm up road. Under the banner of American made fodder this one shoots CCI SV OK and Win. Power Points quite well. Rest of it might make a fair pattern for buckshot out of a 12 bore at 30 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beyond that I've very little use for .22 ammo manufactured here in the USA. Don't shoot it by the ton, don't mind spending some extra jingle when I do.

Well, there is one exception. The Contender with the short match chamber seems OK with the CCI CB shorts. The strings below were shot in order starting with a clean barrel.

[Linked Image]

Otherwise? Ammo from Europe mostly groups 5-10 shots in one hole out to 50 in several of my rifles. Wolf, SK, Norma though not quite as consistent. Have not tried anything else, don't see the need. Pic below was crafted by my 513S at 50 yards using Wolf MT.

[Linked Image]

If your mileage varies I'm OK with that.
Posted By: K22 Re: New 10/22 - 10/19/18
Wow DigitalDan. I like that one. Walnut and all. You've had that one awhile.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: New 10/22 - 10/20/18
Yes I have. Most of my guns are old as dirt.
Posted By: deflave Re: New 10/22 - 10/20/18
Dan,

Have you ever done the 22 Short conversion thing in a 10/22?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New 10/22 - 10/20/18
Originally Posted by deflave
Dan,

I had one, a Volquarsen 10-22. It had a heavy SS barrel, chambered and twisted for .22 Short. It had an aluminum bolt, modified clip. I got all kinds of .22 short ammo. It shot OK.

My 39 Marlin out shot it, same ammo. I was so disappointed, I sold the barrel, bolt and mag, got a steel bolt and a .22 LR bbl, turned it into a .22 LR

DF
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: New 10/22 - 10/20/18
Originally Posted by deflave
Dan,

No. But I thought about it a lot. Then I got the short barrel for the Contender and never looked back. Had an old Rem 572 for quite a spell that did excellent work with shorts. Nephew has it now. Nailed 19 Muscovy ducks with it out in the back yard using CBs. Neighbors never heard the first shot.
Posted By: Rolltide Re: New 10/22 - 10/20/18
It's hard to have a 10/22 and not have fun with it!
Posted By: NoZombies Re: New 10/22 - 10/20/18
I used to have a fair bit of fun wasting ammo with this one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: New 10/22 - 10/20/18
Since this has turned into a 10/22 love fest (and rightly so IMO), hier ist wieder mein Altschules Zehn/Zweiundzwanzig Gewehr. Immer noch Schießfreude...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Since this has turned into a 10/22 love fest (and rightly so IMO), hier ist wieder mein Altschules Zehn/Zweiundzwanzig Gewehr. Immer noch Schießfreude...

[Linked Image]

Now that’s nice.

What’s the story on that one?

DF
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: New 10/22 - 10/20/18
Uh oh, now you've done it. That's like asking a grandfather to show you pics of his grandkids. wink

Easiest just to link to the full write up.

RJ Renner 10/22 Rhinelander
Thanks for the link. Super.

DF
Posted By: BGunn Re: New 10/22 - 10/21/18
Ordered one of these at LGS last Friday for a project starter.

Stainless gun w/ bull bbl...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: New 10/22 - 10/21/18
Yea.....I'm finding that out.
I ran across a good deal on Fed a while back so I picked up a couple of bricks.
It seems to function is a couple of other auto's I tried it in but I get a lot of duds.
I'm down to about 50rnds and won't be buying any more.
You're right about the Auto Match though.....it's flawless in my MKIV and Browning 1911/22.
Walmart keeps a pretty good supply of it so I go through a lot.

Charlie, I find the Automatch to be about the best of the inexpensive stuff. Runs well in all my guns. Not to say i don't get a dud once in a while with them, too. But, it's not enough to be a big annoyance. They are just about right for letting younsters get their jollies blasting away with a 10/22 and MK II or III.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: New 10/22 - 10/21/18
I'm a fan of the mannlicher stocked 10/22s, particularly the stainless/laminated version that was a special order for Wal-Mart about 20 years ago, the 1022KRBIBBZ..

Recently, I bought a couple of 10/22s with the copper mica color modular stocks from CDNN for around $220 per, this is Ruger's # 21139. Of all of the non-mannlicher style stocks that Ruger has put on the 10/22s from day one of production, I like the fit/feel of these modular stocks the best.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: New 10/22 - 10/24/18
Picked up a 10/22 takedown at a local grocery getting out of the gun business sale this past spring, SS for about $250. Put an elderly 3x Leupie on it and it seems to shoot pretty well with most everything I ran through it. Nothing was off a bench and did not pretend to really sight it in. A beer can at 40 yards was not able to dodge the abuse, off-hand.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: New 10/22 - 10/26/18
Originally Posted by Shag

Never mind Boxer my friend. Hes got awesome stuff and knows his stuff. But pleasing him is a epic waste of time.

We can live without him. No need to be rude all the time.
Posted By: Redhill Re: New 10/22 - 10/27/18

Our family has customized around 6-8 10-22s over the years and the all seemed to take the same road. Hogue overmolded stock, Elysium 16" match bull barrel, some handwork on the triggers and a economy scope on them. Our sons would run about 5000-7000 rounds per summer through them and they all seemed to be very accurate and would run quite well on almost all kinds of bulk ammo with the exception of Rem Golden Turds.

The FTF rate on the Turds was probably around 4-5% which was very high and annoying, especially when shooting at a running jack rabbit. That was the only ammo that I would not buy even when the rimfire ammo scare was on under Obama. All other brands seemed to work just fine. Some of those rifles ended up with 20000-25000 rounds through them and each would leave with a son when he got married and are still being used with who knows what round count now.
Posted By: BGunn Re: New 10/22 - 11/02/18
Originally Posted by BGunn
Ordered one of these at LGS last Friday for a project starter.

Stainless gun w/ bull bbl...

[Linked Image]

This one came in, and I picked it up last night.

[Linked Image]

Threw the scope on quick so I could function test the gun, and it seems to have a lot of potential.

Ruger seems to have stopped production of this Model (M# 1234) with the stainless barrel.

https://www.impactguns.com/Semi-Aut...-Extended-Mag-Release-736676012343-1234/
Posted By: swampkid Re: New 10/22 - 11/28/18
That is a sweet looking 10/22.What kind of ammo you using?
Posted By: BGunn Re: New 10/22 - 11/28/18
Starting out with some Norma, or Federal bulk, but I have some Lapua “L” I want to try also.
This whole project started out with me buying my 11 year old grandson one of the stainless 10/22 Takedowns. We were having.contests that included at least one reload.
With me using a Marlin 39, he was always kicking my butt, now I’m looking forward to evening things up a little 😀.

It is a nice gun. As soon as the deer seasons over and the weather clears a bit, I’ll get some bench time in.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: New 10/22 - 11/28/18

[Linked Image]

Jim, with all respect, what is the German speak for "You Suck"?

Pretty piece of art that is, hope you are worthy.

DD
Posted By: saskfox Re: New 10/22 - 11/28/18
They are a great rifle and quite accurate with their preferred ammo.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: New 10/22 - 11/29/18

[Linked Image]

Really Cool! Was this done on a factory stock?
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: New 10/22 - 11/30/18
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

[Linked Image]

Jim, with all respect, what is the German speak for "You Suck"?

Pretty piece of art that is, hope you are worthy.

DD

Since this is with all respect, my best guess would be "Sie saugen!". But you're a good guy so you can use the familiar, "du saugst!" wink
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: New 10/22 - 11/30/18
Yes sir. That started out as a used factory walnut Sporter stock, I got it pretty cheap off of gunbroker since it had a lot of dings and wear. It cleaned up pretty good, though. wink
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New 10/22 - 12/03/18
Oh my...someone schlepping Schit Riggin',is rather Tender.

What were the "odds"?!?

Hint.

Laughing!.................
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: New 10/22 - 12/09/18

Elevation work like a Garand ?
Posted By: hookeye Re: New 10/22 - 12/09/18
I did this one, shoots sub .5 at 50 yards w SK match.
Stock is OK for bench but I don't like the vertical grip for other.
Need to change the stock.

[Linked Image]

Saw one of the new Ruger custom shop rigs yesterday, not too shabby.
This '67 liked CCI Blazer.
All it got was a Volq hammer and it was .75 at 50 yards w the cheap crap.
[Linked Image]
This '67 was a friggin shotgun.
Horrible.
Overton stock not inlet right, huge forend pressure.
Reworked and it did way better.
[Linked Image]
Too bad nobody makes a walnut fingergroove stock like the old sporters.
That to me the best 10/22 stock.
They should have done the 50th anniv model in stainless, w a black synth version of that stock (checkered).
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New 10/22 - 12/09/18
I like the old walnut, checkered 10-22 stocks. This one has a complete trigger job using Volquartsen and Clark parts including a Brownells trigger stop.

Really quiet with the can.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: swampkid Re: New 10/22 - 12/14/18
Looks like the same stock i got on my Deluxe 10/22.Great stock.
Posted By: Fugawe Re: New 10/22 - 12/15/18
Originally Posted by hookeye
This '67 liked CCI Blazer.
All it got was a Volq hammer and it was .75 at 50 yards w the cheap crap.
[Linked Image]

Still looking for an early beavertail stocked one.
Now that's a good red squirrel!
I consider them all to have a severe lead deficiency.
Little bastards.
Posted By: hookeye Re: New 10/22 - 12/29/18
That one was factory checkered, king of a big deal in the 10/22 world.
Not mint but too nice for me to risk afield.
Went to gunshow today and got a smooth fingergroove, '71 model.
Little chip up top, some scratches.

The ol lady goes "you could make that look like new if you wanted".
Told her I'm leaving it.........it's a hunting gun.
Hammer swap after we get back from the movies.
Posted By: hookeye Re: New 10/22 - 12/29/18
And yeah, the little red kinda ask for a semi auto.
Posted By: hookeye Re: New 10/22 - 12/30/18
The '71 just picked up

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hookeye Re: New 10/22 - 12/30/18
Tear it down, clean bbl and put diff hammer in.
Then try to find a Leupold 4X (M8 or Compact) for it.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: New 10/22 - 01/02/19
Good grab on the new toy Charlie. Some mighty fine lookin 10/22s in this thread. Even yours Larry!

Happy New Year all!
© 24hourcampfire