Home
Posted By: blairvt CZ 457 - 02/06/19
I just realized the 457 is completely different than the 452 series. How does it stack up? I'm a big fan of the 452.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: CZ 457 - 02/06/19
Zero experience with one, but from a looks standpoint, its hideous in comparison to a 452. I bet it will shoot though.
Posted By: jk16 Re: CZ 457 - 02/06/19
Do a Google search- there are Videos Pictures and descriptions all over the place.

Except for the bolt head design (extractor etc ),Magazine and interchangeable barrel feature (same barrels as the 455) the rifle is entirely different than the 452 &455 actions
It solves every issue folks had with the 452s .The 457 has a US style Forward to fire safety ,Lower bolt lift for lower scope mounting, fully adjustable trigger and no tin can style bottom metal.
Posted By: JDinCO Re: CZ 457 - 02/06/19
Some old guys on RFC seem to think the world has blown up and the 527 is the example of the end of the industrial age. Other than those old farts, the 527 series is being fairly well received. I don't have one, but seriously looking at an American.
Posted By: jk16 Re: CZ 457 - 02/06/19
Originally Posted by JDinCO
Some old guys on RFC seem to think the world has blown up and the 527 is the example of the end of the industrial age. Other than those old farts, the 527 series is being fairly well received. I don't have one, but seriously looking at an American.

The 527 is a centerfire.

This thread is about the new 457 rimfire .
Posted By: JDinCO Re: CZ 457 - 02/07/19
Was waking up when I typed, meant the 457, sorry you got peeved.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: CZ 457 - 02/07/19
Originally Posted by jk16
Do a Google search- there are Videos Pictures and descriptions all over the place.

Except for the bolt head design (extractor etc ),Magazine and interchangeable barrel feature (same barrels as the 455) the rifle is entirely different than the 352 &455 actions...

Not familiar with the 352 action...did you mean 452?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: CZ 457 - 02/07/19

I tried to like that site, but had to give it up.

I picked up a SS 455 in .22 and like it a lot, and might someday like a .17 just like it. A SS 457 would work too, if they ever get around to making one. The wheels at CZ-USA grind pretty slowly, it seems. Probably have to endure several "final edition" 455s first.
Posted By: whitearrow Re: CZ 457 - 02/07/19

I picked up a SS 455 in .22 and like it a lot, and might someday like a .17 just like it. A SS 457 would work too, if they ever get around to making one. The wheels at CZ-USA grind pretty slowly, it seems. Probably have to endure several "final edition" 455s first.
[/quote]
have you had a chance to shoot yer 455 stainless? how did she shoot? i'm about to scope mine up since the rings finally arrived and see how mine does, after a quick breakdown to adjust trigger nut and confirm grub screw torque of 44"lb, maybe in a couple weeks when i get a couple days off work.
Big Ed
Posted By: centershot Re: CZ 457 - 02/12/19

Except for the bolt head design (extractor etc ),Magazine and interchangeable barrel feature (same barrels as the 455) the rifle is entirely different than the 452 &455 actions
It solves every issue folks had with the 452s .The 457 has a US style Forward to fire safety ,Lower bolt lift for lower scope mounting, fully adjustable trigger and no tin can style bottom metal.

Sold a 455 in 17 HMR, bought the new 457 in 17 HMR - other than the wood not being as nice on the 457 I find it superior in every way. Will be getting another in .22 as soon as I can sell my 455 Varmint.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: CZ 457 - 02/12/19
Just a bit. Seems to like MMs pretty well, among commonly available ammo. When the weather breaks, I'll get some "good" ammo to try in it. Mounted a Trophy XLT 4-12 AO originally intended for my Air King on it. The trigger is perfectly usable as-is. Was going to replace the bottom metal with a DIP unit, but for some reason the SS crap looks better than the blued crap. The buttplate is very slick, but some grip tape fixed that. Haven't futzed with the bedding, the barrel screw torque, or any of that other RFC anal-retentive stuff; just screwed on the scope and shot it. Great little rifle, and a bargain.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: CZ 457 - 02/12/19
Just bought a new heavy-barrel 457 .22 LR, and still have the same model 455, so am going to do some comparisons for a magazine assignment. Will know a lot more as soon as the damn polar vortex subsides!
Posted By: kragman1 Re: CZ 457 - 02/12/19
Looking forward to that Mule Deer.
Please post whatever you're allowed here for us to enjoy.
Posted By: kandpand Re: CZ 457 - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just bought a new heavy-barrel 457 .22 LR, and still have the same model 455, so am going to do some comparisons for a magazine assignment. Will know a lot more as soon as the damn polar vortex subsides!

JB,

Please let us know what magazine and what issue. I am in the market for a quality 22 rifle.

Thanks
Posted By: fourbore Re: CZ 457 - 02/14/19
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I tried to like that site, but had to give it up.

I bet dollars to bagels, you never see a 455 final edition. Those who like the 455 are all lined up to buy the 457. They dont care about 45xyz, all same. The 452 and 453 "true believers" never got in line for the 455. I have one 452, 453 and 455. The 453 was IMHO, the best 22 ever produced by CZ or Brno. The 452 was a great gun and a good lower cost alternative to the 453. My 455 did not shoot as well as either and I learned the benefit of the easy swap 455 barrel system. But swapping a bad shooter is less desirable than an accurate rifle right out of the box. I consider 1 moa to be excellent accuracy for this class of 22. I was spoiled with excellent in my 452 and 453.

I do like my 455. I found one with exceptional wood. if not for the stock, I would not have got that. And in the end it was a money pit to bring it up to par. Others are fine. Such is luck of the draw. my friend got a good 455.

The 457 is a whole new modern rifle. It should be a winner and not suffer from comparison to the 452. The 455 was hurt by to many point by point comparisons. The 457 is simple a new gun and has to stand on its own merit and how well CZ does on execution. They, CZ, needs to focus on good barrels. We will see.

I like that sight.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: CZ 457 - 02/14/19
The "final edition" remark was really just a wisecrack.

I had a 453 that was very accurate, and a looker, but sacrificed it in pursuit of my SS 77/22 RSI, so far a once in a lifetime opportunity. In spite of its virtues, for some reason I found the trigger position on the 453 awkward in the field too; just a personal quirk. It would put five RWS SSHPs or Aguila Rifle Match into the .4s at 50, and sometimes even a bit better.

As I get older, I may migrate a bit into more target shooting and acquire more .22s. A 457 might very well find its way here, SS or not; maybe that Hummer I need.
Posted By: whitearrow Re: CZ 457 - 02/14/19
yes the "final edition" was deff a shot at CZ and folks won't understand unless they have followed CZ rimfires for the past 5yrs or so. CZ kept saying this is our last shipment of 452 americans...................for like 3 yrs and multiple shipments. then the CZ-452 american "final edition" came out and still more 452 americans have floated over on the boat from the czech republic. as much as i'm a CZ fanboi i just don't trust what they say anymore about the last shipment and such.
Big Ed
Posted By: cisco1 Re: CZ 457 - 02/14/19

I think I have all the CZ's I need.

As for RFC...there are about 5-8 cliqueeee know it all . Mostly silly dipchit braggarts and fulla themselves moderators.

A little bit of good info. If one kicks through a garbage dump one can occasionally find something to take with.
Posted By: kragman1 Re: CZ 457 - 02/14/19
So I got to handle a 457 Lux today, and I was pleasantly surprised by the stock.
Yes, it's still a hogback but it has different proportions than my 455 Lux does and it seemed much more "scope height". Without being the wrong height for the sights (which had zero play in them BTW).
The wrist felt good, just a little on the slender side, probably feels just as good with gloves on.
Really nice long barreled rifle setup. Would love to see one in a quality weatherproof stock with pillars or a block.
Posted By: Oldschool65 Re: CZ 457 - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Zero experience with one, but from a looks standpoint, its hideous in comparison to a 452. I bet it will shoot though.

What's hideous about this?

Attached picture 20190108_105745-1612x1209-403x302.jpg
Posted By: RBO Re: CZ 457 - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Oldschool65

No kidding. I was handling the new 457’s the other day and seriously the wood on them puts the 452’s to shame. I see a 457 royal in my future.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: CZ 457 - 02/17/19

Agree. This thing is going to eat the lunch of American-made .22 bolt guns, especially since the 77/22 is out of production, and costs a bunch more when it's available. The US companies seemed to have just rolled over on this market.
Posted By: kragman1 Re: CZ 457 - 02/18/19
I think its going to eat the T1x's lunch too. Just so long as CZ doesn't start making manufacturing shortcuts to keep up with demand.
Case in point - I looked at a new 455 trainer yesterday that had a mild ring of slivers and burrs at the distal edge of the chamber. Oooops.
I can tell you that the one I own didn't have anything like that when I bought it new.

FYI, I've handled 2 457's so far and both had scratchy bolt travel.#1 was bad, #2 pretty mild.
But I think a quick stoning on the edges of the slot on top of the bolt body would make it disappear.

To my surprise, the tweaked stock (still a hogback but the comb height now works well with sights AND glass) on the Lux may make it a better "sporter" than the American. Personal preference will vary of course. I can see plenty of people buying both.
Posted By: 700LH Re: CZ 457 - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by cisco1

I think I have all the CZ's I need.

As for RFC...there are about 5-8 cliqueeee know it all . Mostly silly dipchit braggarts and fulla themselves moderators.

A little bit of good info. If one kicks through a garbage dump one can occasionally find something to take with.

Completely agree with the RFC assessment.

There are some very knowledgeable fella's over there too.
Posted By: fourbore Re: CZ 457 - 02/19/19

I got to handle a 457 trainer this weekend and I was not impressed. I was fortunate to find a 452 Left hand and several 455 on the same rack. I am not one of those folks who had any ISSUES with the 452. I like the safety mounted on the bolt and my mind was fully capable of dealing with the operation. I had no problem mounting scopes on either the 452 or 453. I cannot speak to the new 457 trigger. No dry fire allowed. My 453 is a set trigger and can be set down to the ounces or unset to break at 2 pounds. The min spec for the 457 trigger is 2.25 pounds. The 452 trigger can be tuned for a good break or shot as-is. The new bottom metal does not look as good as the fine polished and blued bottom on the 452. The 457 and 455 have an ugly plastic spacer in the magazine well when setup for 22lr. The DIP bottom metal is a very elegant solution, the 457 bottom stuff is not so pretty. The new 457 blue is a dull finish that may not age as gracefully as the fine (real blue) on the 452LH. Now not all 452 were highly polished and finely blued. The Americans were.

The new 457 bolt has a funky design where the firing pin rides along the outside of the bolt. It does not look as robust as the traditional setup with a striker that runs inside the bolt. You can see photos over on rim fire central. BTW, I have learned a lot over there. No one forum is for everybody and personalities and all that. members come and go. I drift aroud from forum to forum spreading good cheer where ever I go. ... Yea- Kidding I guess. Old curmudgeon is more like it.

The 452LH remains the last remnant of the once glorious CZ rimfire lineup.

Posted By: Big Stick Re: CZ 457 - 02/19/19
CZ are Goat Fhuqks,plain and simply,wearing schit mags to boot.

Nothing redeeming in any of 'em.

Hint...............
Posted By: kragman1 Re: CZ 457 - 02/19/19
Fourbore -

I'm don't know much about the new striker, but I don't like the open slot for it at the the top of the bolt, and wondered if the whole firing pin design suffers from some unseen compromise too. I really hope not.

FYI, the finish isn't blue it nitride, which is an old (and effective) metal treatment that bonds the free electrons in the steel with inert nitrogen so they can't bond with anything else. Which means it can't rust. Its shallow and it just doesn't look like good bluing but that's the way they went.
The purist in me wants them to keep making 452's but I recognize the improvements too. I had to use a very specific scope and very specific rings to put glass on my Lux. Made me wish I had stuck to my guns and bought an American, but I got it done.

I have played with the new trigger. Very good for a production gun. I'm sure your 453 is better, but to me its an improvement over a stock 452/455.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: CZ 457 - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by kragman1
Fourbore -

I'm don't know much about the new striker, but I don't like the open slot for it at the the top of the bolt, and wondered if the whole firing pin design suffers from some unseen compromise too. I really hope not.

FYI, the finish isn't blue it nitride, which is an old (and effective) metal treatment that bonds the free electrons in the steel with inert nitrogen so they can't bond with anything else. Which means it can't rust. Its shallow and it just doesn't look like good bluing but that's the way they went.
The purist in me wants them to keep making 452's but I recognize the improvements too. I had to use a very specific scope and very specific rings to put glass on my Lux. Made me wish I had stuck to my guns and bought an American, but I got it done.

I have played with the new trigger. Very good for a production gun. I'm sure your 453 is better, but to me its an improvement over a stock 452/455.

FUNNY schit!...............
Posted By: avagadro Re: CZ 457 - 02/20/19

Agree. This thing is going to eat the lunch of American-made .22 bolt guns, especially since the 77/22 is out of production, and costs a bunch more when it's available. The US companies seemed to have just rolled over on this market.

Don't know about that I drank some kewl-aid and got a RPR rimfire. Damn thing shoots better than any $350 rifle has a right too. Has some quirks, but accurate little thing. NOT Cooper accurate, but for $350 ..... ?

with 30 moa bases and a 20x SS MQ .... she does hit [bleep] mo' better than my shakin' ass has a right to ask.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: CZ 457 - 02/27/19
The local fun shop has 3 457s An American, an American Varmint, and an MTR, the big, fat, awkward clubby stock everyone's oohing and ah-ing about. I liked the 457 American a lot, but it sure seems longer than necessary. The 24" barrel is two inches longer than the 452 American's, and almost four inches longer than the 455 American's. I guess it's quieter, which is always a good thing. The one I looked at was smoother than my 452 by a long shot, and as good as my 455s.

I dunno if I'll buy one, I have four CZ rimfires already, but I thought it was pretty nice. The scope mounting options seem a lot better (it's D-ed and T-ed, and has the 11mm rail, too). I'll mull it over and decide sometime this weekend. The wood was stained VERY dark, but still had some good figure hidden under that stain. I have a spitload of magazines that will work in it already, and am sitting on a bunch of ammo, too. Come to think of it, I have three or four scopes taking up shelf space, too. Gotta check on rings....................................those 11mm rings don't grow on trees.
Posted By: jk16 Re: CZ 457 - 03/01/19

I rhink CZ increased the barrel length due ro the shorter reciever so , maybe they thought 22" was too stubby ??

Also given their current drive for parts commonality, they may be using the SAME barrel on both the Americans and Lux/Trainers instead of using different barrel.lengths (22 and 24.5")?

I am wiith you , though. I think 22" was about righr.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: CZ 457 - 03/01/19
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The local fun shop has 3 457s An American, an American Varmint, and an MTR, the big, fat, awkward clubby stock everyone's oohing and ah-ing about. I liked the 457 American a lot, but it sure seems longer than necessary. The 24" barrel is two inches longer than the 452 American's, and almost four inches longer than the 455 American's. I guess it's quieter, which is always a good thing. The one I looked at was smoother than my 452 by a long shot, and as good as my 455s.

I dunno if I'll buy one, I have four CZ rimfires already, but I thought it was pretty nice. The scope mounting options seem a lot better (it's D-ed and T-ed, and has the 11mm rail, too). I'll mull it over and decide sometime this weekend. The wood was stained VERY dark, but still had some good figure hidden under that stain. I have a spitload of magazines that will work in it already, and am sitting on a bunch of ammo, too. Come to think of it, I have three or four scopes taking up shelf space, too. Gotta check on rings....................................those 11mm rings don't grow on trees.

Talley steel rings are very handsome I think. Have a set of high ones on my 455 SS.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: CZ 457 - 03/01/19
Originally Posted by avagadro

Don't know about that I drank some kewl-aid and got a RPR rimfire. Damn thing shoots better than any $350 rifle has a right too. Has some quirks, but accurate little thing. NOT Cooper accurate, but for $350 ..... ?

with 30 moa bases and a 20x SS MQ .... she does hit [bleep] mo' better than my shakin' ass has a right to ask.

I'm glad you're happy with yours and that it's a shooter, but I wouldn't be seen with that oogly little spud at a cockfight. And in the woods; NFW. The squirrels would laugh themselves out of the trees. Don't mind me, I'm just an old bitter Luddite.
© 24hourcampfire