Home
Posted By: kragman1 Craziest shot with a rimfire - 02/23/19
I once made an incredibly lucky snapshot on a rail with a shotgun but never anything like it with a .22
I have an uncle who would sometimes get rabbits in the brush with a 10-22.

Anyone have any stories to share?
I shot a dragonfly in flight with my Nylon 66 then went through ½ brick of ammo trying to do it again...

I'm still trying.
Lighting a self striking match at 25 yards with a BSA Martini model 12. It was a fun shoot... I was the only one to do it.
I once shot at a bird sitting on the edge of the ice on the Colorado river with a Marlin Mountie and Wildcat ammunition. By the time the bullet got there it had jumped into the water and the bullet landed in the snow close to where he had been sitting. This was repeated a few times and each time he returned to the ice after the bullet had landed. My brother in law suggested shooting while he was in the process of jumping back onto the edge. I fired when he could not be seen at the spot where I thought he would be. We were both surprised when the bird jumped onto the exact spot my bullet landed and killed himself. I recall counting seventeen 39 foot rail lengths on a long sweeping turn to where he expired. Somewhat over 200 yards I'd guess.
Me and boy used to shoot .22 LR at dirt clumps in the tilled field below the house.......sitting with a lean on the apple tree or prone over a sandbag.....at 300+ yards. Remington Model Five (Zastington) with a 3-9 ....... amazing how you could hit a coffee can sized clump with boring regularity. Boy was better at it than me.

Shot a chuck (and not a big one) at a lasered 280 yards first shot with a 592M a few years back. I'm certain the rifle is quite capable of farther. I just need to take the time and do it this summer.
Shot a bat once....not a baseball bat.
Posted By: m1919 Re: Craziest shot with a rimfire - 02/23/19
We like blasting eggs at 300 yds.
Threw our sleeping bags out on the ground after a rabbit hunt in the desert one evening. Woke up in the morning and a jackrabbit was making his way across a trail about 150 yards away so I picked up my Marlin 60 with open sights and let one fly. Dropped him with one shot right in the head..... nobody else would believe me because they were still sleeping..... wink
My buddy tried to shoot a hole in my shovel; the bullet ricocheted and hit him in the knee. He bounced around for 20 minutes. Looked like he wanted to piss himself smile
I once shot a bird out of the sky while it was in flight.
Originally Posted by deflave

I once shot one out of the air that was not in flight.
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by deflave

I once shot one out of the air that was not in flight.

So have I.
My late uncle once shot a flying pigeon out of a flock at 100 yards. He aimed at the lead one and killed one back in the pack. When they retrieved it, it was hit in the neck. "Aw, I was aiming for his eye", said my uncle.

My favorite shot was a starling I picked off a dried cornstalk at about 75 or 80 yards. Nothing magical about the shot, but the terminal effect from the Stinger was very satisfying. It turned that bird into an empty, feathered-covered skin.
Snake swimming in my pond, it was about 60 yards from the back porch. They swim like an S and the only thing that doesn't seem to wiggle is their head. Thought I would try a shot before it hit the bank on the other side. Head shot did it in. Then while it was tossing and trashing around we seen the water boil underneath it and something came up and grabbed it and pulled it under. Snake was about 3 feet long and we didnt even know we had a fish big enough to eat something like that.
Originally Posted by m1919
We like blasting eggs at 300 yds.

There is a game called mini Palma y'all might want to look into.
Dropped a crow out of the air once. Distance? I don't know, 50 yards maybe. Proof to my skeptical buddies was the trail of blood drops in the pristine snow for 50 feet that culminated in the dead crow laying there.
Shot a crow off a fence post from 220 yards with a Ruger MK II target. Factory iron sights. Have killed many running rabbits and several flying birds with a .22 rifle.
Almost forgot about, arguably, the best (horseshoe up the arse) shot of my life...……….

Shot a groundhog at 75-80 yards with a CCI Stinger outta my $49 chrome plated Jennings J-22. Probably the equivalent of shooting a groundhog at 3 miles with your deer rifle. grin
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Almost forgot about, arguably, the best (horseshoe up the arse) shot of my life...……….

Shot a groundhog at 75-80 yards with a CCI Stinger outta my $49 chrome plated Jennings J-22. Probably the equivalent of shooting a groundhog at 3 miles with your deer rifle. grin

Certainly you blew away the smoke from the end of barrel? grin
Posted By: micky Re: Craziest shot with a rimfire - 02/23/19
I head shot a running rabbit once. Tried several other times and I'm not sure my shots were in the same county.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Craziest shot with a rimfire - 02/23/19
When my kids were about ages 6 and 8, I was having them shoot a .22 at a steel spinning target. To add to the spinning target shooting, the kids set up two McDonald's figurines that came in their happy meals to shoot at for a "challenge target".

Each figurine was about 2 inches tall and 1 inch wide. We set one up at about 25 yards and the other at 45 yards, but they were not in line with each other. The far target was about 10 yards to the left of the first target and 20 yards further out. My youngest son shot at the 25 yard figurine, hit it, and the ricochet off of it hit the further target. Both targets were hit with one bullet on the first try.

I'm pretty sure we could have shot a wheelbarrow of ammo and never repeated that hit.
I shot a feral cat just to the right of its left eye at about 40 yards. Ruger Mk II pistol. I immediately named the gun “Headshot.”

P
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Certainly you blew away the smoke from the end of barrel? grin

……..spun it around my index finger twice and slid it back in my pocket...…..just like I did it 3 times already, that day...…. Yep. grin
Back in the teenage days in the late '60's a buddy of mine took down a flying pheasant with a borrowed .22 bolt gun ( don't recall the make) while the bird was flying by hanging the gun out of the car window. Range was a good 50-60 yards with the bird going from right to left. Bird went down like a rock. As I turned around to look at him in disbelief the smile on his face was priceless. We retrieved it and it was a perfect head shot. He wasn't even an accomplished shooter and didn't own a gun at the time. What are the odds of that one?
Threw an empty 50rd box into a canal. When it was about 15yds away I shot under it, jumping it straight up. As it stopped at the top of its travel I shot it out of the air.
I played it cool like I did that all the time but put the gun away. Ruger Standard Auto.
When I was 15 I was standing by the river with my Marlin 25 when a wood duck landed in a tree across the river from me.
I took a shot(about 75yds, open sights) and dropped the duck. Ok, now what? I didn't have a boat and the river was too deep to wade. I ended up walking a mile downriver, the back up the other side to retrieve my duck.
4 miles for one lousy duck, but I was taught not to waste, so........
Shot a duck flying over one day... a few years ago, I shot skeet with a 22... I could hit one out of about 15 going away.
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Shot a duck flying over one day... a few years ago, I shot skeet with a 22... I could hit one out of about 15 going away.

Are you a guy, or a girl, or both?
I thought I had seen crazy until mtcurman set up his Anschutz heavy barrel with a 10X SWFA It has the dope chart out to 550 yards. Yes, a .22 will kill prairie dogs out at 500. Just stinkin nuts. Last time I was out with it, Nash and I were getting enough hits past 400 to make us believers.
That IS crazy. I probably couldn't do it with a centerfire...
kragman, that is what makes it crazy. I have little luck hitting past 400 with centerfires myself.

Just pulled his rifle out to have a look at that dope chart on the stock.
drop at 250 yards---79 inches or 8.8 mil okay, I can see that. But then out at 500yds it reads, 472 inches or 26.2 mil. just plain crazy.
Originally Posted by Downstream
I thought I had seen crazy until mtcurman set up his Anschutz heavy barrel with a 10X SWFA It has the dope chart out to 550 yards. Yes, a .22 will kill prairie dogs out at 500. Just stinkin nuts. Last time I was out with it, Nash and I were getting enough hits past 400 to make us believers.

Maybe 1 in 10 with no wind at all

Maybe 1 in 10 with no wind at all
[/quote]

1 in ten is indeed just about right. Wind is never still here though, rather than dial for it you watch your hits and hold into it best you can, dogs will usually tolerate a few misses with the 22s while yout try drop a hit on em.
When I was a teenager I was driving around on a ranch that I was considering trapping. Saw some mallards on a pond 1/4 mile away. They were in a line swimming aimed my BL22 a few feet over and fired. All of them but one flew. Drove down to the pond and he had drifted to the bank. Hole through his head right behind the eye.
Same day saw a coyote way off on a hilltop. Aimed 4 or 5 feet over his back and let one fly. Hit him too but didn't kill him. But he hopped around and howled before running off.

My cous and I used to shoot sparrows off the turd hearse with .22 pistols.

We aimed for the beak......when you knock the beak off a sparrow ... it just sits there.
A bunch of us were up north for a guys weekend and we were shooting clay pigeons from a hand trap. I had a new Winchester 101 12 gauge that often as not was not firing the first shot (before I sent it in to get fixed) and I was the next up to shoot. I told the guys that it might not fire and asked who wanted to back me up? Bob said that he would and took out his .22 pistol. Sure enough, click from that 101 and I heard that .22 handgun go off and he broke the clay pigeon flying out about 40 yards. He coolly holstered the gun and walked into the cabin. I'm sure with some kind of a smirk on his face like he did that all the time.
Next level is when you learn that 22 rimfires work underwater fully submerged or not.
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Next level is when you learn that 22 rimfires work underwater fully submerged or not.

How far can you hit a fish ??
grin
About two feet, or so I have heard ..........
Kragman1: I remember distinctly from 65+ years ago when my maternal grandfather asked my older brother to go shoot some Ground Squirrels and Rock Chucks behind the ranch garden.
I begged to go along even though I was just 5 or 6 years old.
Permission granted and off my older brother and I go - he was doing all the shooting and eventually the Ground Squirrels around the garden were killt or sacred't off.
My brother was shooting Grandpas pump action 22 with exposed hammer - Model 62 Winchester I believe, when along comes a Raven flying and squawking seeing blood and remnants of Ground Squirrels there on the ground had its attention.
Older brother aims up at the flying Raven and with his first shot kills it cleanly!
I even remember the "thump" it made when it hit the ground.
Brother was 10 or 11 at the time.
He was even surprised by this nifty shot.
I have repeated that "feat" numerous times since then but that shot stills stands out in my memory.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Craziest shot with a rimfire - 02/24/19
Well mine just happned today. I’m sure plinking as a kid there were shots made that I don’t remember but this is the most recent. It’s funny I went to bed thinking about this thread last night. Remembering how much I loved plinking as a kid, so I decided to take the GF plinking today. As she was plinking away at cans, bottles, and anything else we could find, she asked what the bdc reticles were in the scope on my CZ. Keep in mind we had 50mph gusts today, super windy. As I was explaining the hold over bubbles I picked out a popcan 100-125 yards away. I said “watch the can”. Off hand in high wind and not really having a clue where to hold I let a 40g CCI rip. Low and behold the can flipped up into the air lol.

No way I could do it again. 100-125 yards doesn’t sound like much I’m sure but given the circumstances.
I had my first HMR zero-ed in at 100 yards, but I was still in my first box of ammo (it was scarce in 2002) and had a crow land about 180 yards out into the field. I wasn't really sure where the bullet would hit, but tried a shot anyway. The crow took off squawking to beat hell, but only made it to the timberline when I heard him crash into the tree branches and hit the ground. I was pretty happy with that little rifle (and still am happy with it). Later, with a different scope on it, I hit a prairie dog at 250 yards, first shot. It tipped over and kicked for awhile. Last time I ever shot at something that far away with that tiny little bullet, though. Not enough azz behind it for those distances.
Offhanded a crow about 50 years ago...maybe halfway down a 20 acre field so maybe 220 yards, with a heck of a Wisconsin cross-wind blowing. I remember holding over the crow about 30" and maybe 2' into the wind! I was using a Remington 121 pump with a Weaver A4 if memory serves me right on the scope (could have been the B4), likely shooting Remington Golden bullet Hi-speed solids. The crow flopped around for a bit but was dead when I made it through the snow/ice/mud of that blustery March day. Maybe my best rifle shot ever!
I shot a groundhog with a 7.5" barrelled single six at 115 yards once. Hit him right in the chest with a Winchester power point and he just keeled over.

I've shot a few crows out of the air with both 22 rifles and handguns but missed many,many more
112 yards , ranged, with a 22 lr from a Rem. 510 22lr made in 1940, 4x scope. Rem subsonic lr ammo G-hog facing me on all four feet with some wind. Thought i was shooting Win PP ammo, my go to 22lr ammo. On shot hit the g-hog in the dimple below the neck between the front legs, DRT.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ckat Re: Craziest shot with a rimfire - 02/26/19
A friend of mine had a beautiful, tiger-stripe stocked 10/22 when I was a kid. He let me shoot it one day at the deer lease (I was 10 or 12 at the time,) and I couldn't seem to miss. A meadowlark was perched in the top of a mesquite about 120 yards away, and I popped off, "I bet I can hit him in the head."

I will never forget his response. "If you can hit that thing in the head, I will [bleep] in my pants!"

Well, I did, and he didn't; but it was a lucky shot that made for a lifetime memory... We still laugh about that time to this day.
Back in the olden days, a Leupold 1.5-5 was pretty good for wing shooting with a 10/22. Stingers of course. That's all I'm saying.
My dad shot a a deers head a long way off many years ago.
The bullet was supposed to drop and scare the deer our of the field.
She just dropped.

Middle of summer, his uncle's farm. Straight as an arrow, must have had keys to the church,
Uncle Jake had a fit.
Hid the deer quick, to come back when it was dark.
When he went back, the old man had dug a deep grave and buried it.

Took him a long time to get out of that doghouse.

Did the same thing to a turkey but with a 20ga.
Saw a flock a long way off, laughed, said I'll scare them.
Fired a shot, they ran off.
Hunting rabbits, when they got to where the turkeys had been, one wss stumbling around.
Clubbed it and took it home. One BB, straight across both eyes.

Neither of these stories exhibit good sportsmanship or gun handling rules.
Instead, they are interesting, and reinforce "the never point at something you don't want to destroy rule".
Many years ago I had a Browning Lever action 22 lr...... my dad had several discarded car batteries, I proceeded to set one battery on it side.As a challenging target I paced off the 40 yards or so distance. Aiming at the right terminal with open sights and young eyes I fire a cci mini-mag down range. I was far enough away I couldn’t see where I hit........ but the shot just felt right. I walk up the the battery to find I had hit it perfectly. The lead terminal had a wound channel the looked as if a scoop of lead was removed and the interior of the cavity was washed with copper mini-mag. I knew it was more luck than skill and proceeded directly to the barn for a hacksaw to save my treasure and memory....I hadn’t thought about this shot for many years, until hearing a few other stories of lucky shots. Here’s a couple pictures of my luck[Linked Image][Linked Image]
I was going to sight in my savage 23 with iron sights for squirrel season, when I got out of my truck at the range a crow flew up in a tree at the hundred yard line.. I loaded a shell in and off hand aimed at the crow, when I fired the crow folded his wings tight to his body and dropped like a rock to the ground.. I checked him and had hit him in the center of his breast.. I was truly shocked.
flying coot from a moving car (young and dumb(me that is)) Every one in the car still talks about that shot 50 years later.
coot was matching our speed, the Plymouth fury was a stable boat of a ride. was like shooting a stationary target even at 40 yards.

best shooting was laying a dime flat on a fence post and skipping it off from 25 yards without leaving a mark on the post with my 22. wish i were young again!
Marlin model 101 single shot, back in the mid-70's. Please note-this is not something I have ever been very proud of doing, but it sure was one heck of a shot. And a true story(one or more members here may have been witnesses, but doubt they will ever admit being there to this day). We lived on a farm, and my father was caretaker for his boss's horses and one stubborn gelding pony. Every night it would break through the barb wire, to get into the neighbors sweet corn. Naturally I was the one summoned to retrieve it. After a few weeks of this pattern, it was getting old. One day a few of us were shooting up by the barn, and I made the remark I'd like to shoot that damn thing. As a joke, I took a one hand grip, pointed that 22 about ten feet over the pony, closed my eyes and shot into the air. I opened my eyes, the horse hit the ground, kicked once, and was graveyard dead. We later paced it at close to 300 yards. The friends there started scattering quickly, and yelling "you killed Star" ! I told them no way, maybe knocked him out....what are the chances of a bullet dropping ten feet, drifting another 5-6 feet left, and perfectly severing the spinal cord on a pony ? Apparently pretty good. A couple days later when people realized he was not sleeping, numerous game wardens and trooper's showed up. They figured it was shot from the road, and for 10 years I never told anyone any different. When they skinned back the neck to check the entry/exit hole out, and found that small 22 caliber hole in the neck and notified my father.....I could tell by the look he gave me he pretty much knew what the real story was. Ten years later in a bar it was the first question he asked me......did you kill that damn horse? He still don't believe it was an accident 40+ years later.
I will start by saying I was young and stupid...

I went to a friends house to visit. He had an old 22 LR and they were having trouble with robins messing with their garden. I took a practice shot with the rifle and the bullet at about 30 feet went 2 or 3 feet to the right of the point of aim. Then a robin perched on their TV antenna. With my friend and parents watching, I shot the robin off of the antenna. Open sites of course.

Then there was my Marlin semi auto that was made for Western Auto sales with a 4X scope. A friend and I had been out hunting ground squirrels by a lake and were waiting for your ride home. Out on the lake were a number of mud hens, a.k.a., coots. I would say the range was a good 200 yards. We had a discussion regarding the likelihood of hitting one. With a good hold over I hit my target on the first shot.
Posted By: RJM Re: Craziest shot with a rimfire - 03/04/19
About 1995 I was shooting .22 rifles with a friend at a local club. We had a bunch of clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm which was about 5 yards behind the target frames.

Was shooting sitting with a sling and it was not much of a challenge hitting the new birds, the small pieces were tougher.

I had a Remington 40X Custom Shop repeater with a 2.5-10 Leupold scope and Winchester 40 grain SUPER-X ammo. Firing at shot at one of the new birds it didn't break but could see a hole... I told my friend not to shoot the bird... Went down later and found that the bullet was dead center... Still have the bird down stairs in the reloading room....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The one .22 pistol shot I can remember is with a 6" S&W Model 53 with the .22 LR cylinder in it. My girlfriend and I were walking along a pipeline . There were a half dozen starlings in a dead tree about 90 yards away. I took aim at one and dropped him stone cold dead...

...luck happens....

Bob
I was out hunting jackrabbits years ago in the fall with my old Browning T-Bolt scoped with a 4x Leupold. The rabbit #'s in Idaho were near a cyclical high that year and we had already shot a large # of bunnies that day. We were heading back to the truck when I saw a Jack making it's way across the sage in front of me about 50-75 yards away. I was just about ready to fire when it stopped behind a good sized sage bush. I waited a minute or two, hoping it would hop out and stop again for a shot. When nothing had happened, I got impatient and decided to fire a round into the bush to see if I could "flush" it out. Much to my surprise, when I fired blindly into the bush, the jack jumped straight up into the air several feet, dead when he hit the ground... perfect head shot! My high school buds just about came unglued!
Sitting on my friends back porch cleaning some guns after coming down from the hill shooting....

We could hear a golpher digging on the burm about 30 yards away. Stared started looking at the burm for a bit.... eventually saw a dandilion moving at a different rate than the rest of the wind blown grass. Golpher was underground munching on the roots. Grabbed the ruger mkII, stood on the bench to get a better angle. Guessed where the golpher would be at the base of the plant and shot. No more movement. Couple minutes go by and still no more movement or noise- maybe i hit him? Maybe just scared him? Got a shovel, dug right at the base of the daneilion in question and there was the dead gopher with a hole right in his ear.
High school, summer, four boys in a ski boat running up and down Chocolate Bayou south of Houston. We took turns water skiing, and trying to stay on a home made plywood "ski board." Just goofing around and having fun. As the sun started down behind the clouds in the west, we pulled in all the ski ropes and headed back up the bayou for the boat ramp. I had a cheap little .22 auto pistol with me--can't remember the make or model--but it was a classic Saturday Night Special.

One of my buddies straddled the bow as we headed back with the boat on a plane as fast as it would go. We passed a seagull leisurely flapping its way down the bayou a good 80-100 yards out. My buddy asked me for the pistol, and said that he was going to shoot it. We all hooted and hollered, and I handed him the short-barreled semi-auto pistol with a round in the chamber. He waved the barrel in the general direction of the seagull and pulled the trigger. The seagull folded up and smacked straight down into the water, never moving again as long as we could see it.
Shooting cottontails while they were running is where I seen some shots that looked impossible.But some how we made them.Lots of fun.
When I was a kid we were dirt poor lived off deer meat and rabbits 12 month a year. My dad put me on a stump and said he was going to chase a deer past me I had an old rolling block Remington single shot doe came by at 100 yds or so I did not know better so I put blade between her ear with lots of daylight showing above her head and fired, she dropped stone dead! I think I was about 6 or 8 then. My dad came by asked what I shot at I told him the story and he laughed but to humor me walked down to where I said she laid. His eyes looked like dish saucers when I got there.
Friend of mine grew up really poor. He has a 22 he said they shot more underwater than on top.
Shot fish to stun them in the creek on their farm. He wold also climb up in trees and shoot down at them when the fish came to the top addled they would jump in and grab them.
Friend of mine grew up really poor. He has a 22 he said they shot more underwater than on top.
Shot fish to stun them in the creek on their farm. He wold also climb up in trees and shoot down at them when the fish came to the top addled they would jump in and grab them.
Was walking out the back door with my 22,
saw a sparrow land on the firewood pile.
Offhand, about 50 yards, I took the shot, the bird flew away.

Mom's clothesline, between me and the bird, went "TWANGGG" and fell.
I still hear about that 35 years later.
I shot 2 cats off the barn with one shot. They were sunning themselves. I aimed for the head on the cat on the left, bang. A cat to it’s right, jumped and tore into the cat on the left.. in a split second they both slid off the barn, limp.

I guess the hollow point glanced or turned, lunging the cat on the right.
My best had to be a little over 100 yards on a dove off hand with a Marlin 39A.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Craziest shot with a rimfire - 03/17/19
Shot a rabbit when I was a kid that didn't make a hole.
Bullet went in one eye and out the other.
© 24hourcampfire