Home
Hey all, first post.

I've read that the Single Six barrel will lead up quickly if you are only shooting long rifle rounds, because of a slight variation in the diameter of the lr vs. the wrf round.
Have any of you guys found this to be true?
No. I've owned over a dozen, both blued and stainless, and had no such problems.

Tom
Thank you, that's what I hoped to hear.
I have a Bearcat, but I think I'd like to add a Single Six to the mix.
Never had a Six lead.
I've owned one for almost 20 years and shot an uncountable number of rounds of all kinds of different manufacture out of it. Never had a leading problem at all.
ive had a single 10 and single six and no such issues with either.
no. that is something some people like to say to try to look smart .they are just showing their stupidity..my current one has a 9 1/2 barrel and does fine.
Never had a leading problem and have shot a bunch of various brands.
My single six convertible is the only 22 pistol I currently have and I have found that the barrel leads 22lr or 22 mag ammo. I just run the 22 mag cylinder as i carry it for close shots at G-hogs . The single six is in paired with the Savage 93 22 mag for longer shots. The 22 mag is a nice step up in power from the 22 lr out of a 5.5 inch barrel.
Bought my single six convertible used almost 3 years ago. Shoot mostly 22lr and never noticed leading problems. Perhaps because it gets cleaned after each use, and even when I'm just plinking with it won't get more than about 50 rounds through it. This coming year I'm planning on doing a lot more 22 mag. and I'm gonna chrono both the mags and the LR rounds and compare velocities from a 5.5" barrel.
I had a Bisley version that shaved lead like crazy. Would lead up and hardly shoot. Sent it back to Ruger twice, they finally changed the barrel and turned it into a nice revolver. Ended up selling it and buying a 617.
22250rem, I got about 950fps to 1100fps from the 22 lr and 1350 to 14050 fps or so from the 22 mag. 5.5 inch barrel ruger single six. I am carrying the CCI 22 mag 40gr HP load in the pistol. And the Hornady V-max 30 gr in the 22 mag rifle. Ii did chronographed both LR and MAG ammo. I
I forgot I had a single six.
the lead bullet of the 22lr obturates that .001 inch difference in bullet size and in 50 years of shooting the single six i have never had it lead up.
The early ones, reportedly, had a tighter bore than the later ones set up run with both .22 LR and .22 WMR.

This one is '56 vintage, flat gate version, second year of production. It has a great trigger and is about as accurate as my K-22.

Original hard rubber grips were broken when I got it, fitted this set of Ebony grips.

DF

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mini14jac
Hey all, first post.

I've read that the Single Six barrel will lead up quickly if you are only shooting long rifle rounds, because of a slight variation in the diameter of the lr vs. the wrf round.

Stop conversing at the gun counter and public range.

9 out of 10 is mentally handicapped.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by mini14jac
Hey all, first post.

Stop conversing at the gun counter and public range.

9 out of 10 is mentally handicapped.

Very unchristian like reply from you. I've come to expect more from your new you. wink I had one of the very early Single Six Convertible pistols. Simply a fine little revolver. I couldn't get it to shoot as I would like, didn't try too many different types of ammo than. Pre-Internet and mostly limited to what the local gunshop had on hand. One of the firearms I truly regret selling. As a matter of fact, only got rid of two since, regret both of those also. One a .243 model 788 I bought new and the other a .22 magnum Marlin I also bought new. Times where harder than on a recently married man making $2.75/hr wiring houses and had to let them go, so I thought. Would of been better to let the first wife go earlier as it turned out. I was and probably still am a slow learner. Be sure and keep that classic Ruger and enjoy it.
Delfarve: In a way I am happy to see you are getting back to "normal"!
Maybe all the sun (radiation?) is having a ying and yang effect on you's?
Hope you will stay "stabilized".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Delfarve: In a way I am happy to see you are getting back to "normal"!
Maybe all the sun (radiation?) is having a ying and yang effect on you's?
Hope you will stay "stabilized".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG,

We will always be brothers.

But sometimes, you're gonna have to admit that one of your brothers is an a-hole.

Travis
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

Very unchristian like reply from you. I've come to expect more from your new you. wink

I have faltered.
You're leaded up like a bad Single Six.
I did see a guy buy a new MK Ruger and it did lead up quickly.
He sent it back and they replaced the barrel.

So maybe the Single Six story is based off somebody having gotten a bad one?

I've had two .22 mags and both were fine.
Fam has owned a half dozen convertibles........no probs (old and new models).

Having shot a few, I'm more interested in the adj sighted Bearcat.
That thing is just too cute (and would be perfect on a trap line).
Thanks for all the replies.

I will not worry about this anymore. blush
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

Very unchristian like reply from you. I've come to expect more from your new you. wink

I have faltered fartled.

Fixed that for you
Ruger has just come out with a new22lr singleaction caller the Wrangler. It has a factory retail price of $250 so will be selling in stores for under $200 new. My only concern is that Ruger might NOT be making it. If they are it is a great buy. Wallacem in Ga
© 24hourcampfire