Home
Posted By: DigitalDan Pig shootin' ? - 04/17/19
What is your RF cartridge of choice and preferred platform for whackin' pigs?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/17/19
OK, so you fellas want an illustration, hey?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: killerv Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/17/19
Buddy and I drove up on one last year and all we had was a 22mag in the truck. Got out and put about a 30 min stalk on it, it was about 300 yards away when we started. He dropped it in her tracks with his little savage bolt gun at about 75 yards. About 150lbs. We found out a turkey load to the ribs with put them on their butts too while you get closer for a head shot....if a shotgun and turkey loads is all you have on you.
Posted By: JPro Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/17/19
My truck gun is a 243 with 105 Hornady HPBT's and it has worked nicely on some smallish pigs I've caught out in the open . I seldom fool with rimfire if pigs are about, because momma might be 200lbs + and 200yds+.
You ain't askeerd of big pigs are ya?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JPro Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/17/19
Askeerd? Well.........yeah, kinda! grin

I am a respecter of big pigs, when we are both on the ground and they are within spitting distance. From a vehicle or elevated stand is another matter.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/17/19
Last ones I killed back in the late 80's were grand dad's white hogs that ran about 700 lbs each. I used a Stevens .25 rimfire. Wish I had that rifle.

I guess it would be considered high fence hunting. grin
Had the pleasure of shooting one of the .25 RF some years ago, it's ashame none of the larger caliber RF rounds are in production these days. A .44 Henry would make me grin.
Posted By: savage2400 Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/17/19
357 max---70-80LBS porkers--any bigger and they aren't as sweet
Used to shoot them on the islands along Bird creek with my 22mag---just for you Dan
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/18/19
OK, we got CB Shorts, HP shorts, LR and .22 Mag. Any of you .17 jockeys poked Porky with your wee pills???
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/18/19
interesting what you can kill w a subsonic .22 lr placed well ...
Posted By: jk16 Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/18/19
I like Aguila Colibris..
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Subs don't deform much, placement is everything. When this learning exercise began I found that up to around 80-100 pounds or so that CB shorts would exit broadside shots in the neck, to include mangling the spinal cord. Pop'n flop every time. Standard HP shorts would shatter on the spine but still do the job. No exit.

The large pig above, bullet recovered about 6" behind the skull in neck muscle:

[Linked Image]

From the rear looking forward:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also found that the CBs were prone to straighter path wound channels than LR ammo....substantially. Typical range on the shots taken is around 20 yards, longest was measured at 38 yards as I recall.

Have yet to use HV RF ammo on hogs.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/18/19
Looks to me like you've discovered the secret and shouldn't need HV HP's.
I have but one gun that like HV stuff, that being the 10/22 with a distinct preference for WW Power Point.

[Linked Image]

All the rest like SV ammo from Yurp quite a bit.

[Linked Image]

Of course I don't buy short ammo from Yurp, just use the CCI fodder for the most part to include their CB stuff.

25 yard line, checking zero after a thorough cleaning. CB shorts aren't the best for precision but they are good enough in a short chambered rifle. I have never been able to find this level of precision in the CB Longs in a LR chamber.

[Linked Image]

The .22 GTC is showing promise, but I can't do this all the time. Being a CF round it is a bit off topic.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Pig shootin' ? - 04/19/19
I like Remington Yellow Jackets or Vipers out of a Winchester 52B.
Posted By: johnw Re: Pig shootin' ? - 12/19/21
Tag...
Posted By: EdM Re: Pig shootin' ? - 12/19/21
I am thinking my Brno will attend.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Pig shootin' ? - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Subs don't deform much, placement is everything. When this learning exercise began I found that up to around 80-100 pounds or so that CB shorts would exit broadside shots in the neck, to include mangling the spinal cord. Pop'n flop every time. Standard HP shorts would shatter on the spine but still do the job. No exit.

I also found that the CBs were prone to straighter path wound channels than LR ammo....substantially. Typical range on the shots taken is around 20 yards, longest was measured at 38 yards as I recall.

DigitalDan,

Your posts have got to be some of the most interesting and informative on the Campfire.
Thank you, sir.

Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Pig shootin' ? - 12/20/21
+1 you post some good stuff. On a side note, I've always planed to get one of those BRNOs, I know it's a subjective thing but IMO they've got a quality old school look.
Posted By: boomwack Re: Pig shootin' ? - 12/22/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Interesting topic, wish I found it earlier.

As far as varmints are concerned, I have put to the ground everything from coyotes on down to squirrels with both 22lr and the 22 mag... Some bang flops, some arguments, spinners and short death runs.... Skunks are incredibly durable, more so than coyotes I believe.

There is a few houndsmen here that are passionate cat hunters, as in bobcat and mountain lion, around here that use the 22 mag to turn off tree'd cats. With utter reliability..... Some lions have tipped the scales @ 170 lbs.

In those situations, those shots often can be measured in feet... 20 to 50ish.
© 24hourcampfire