Home
Posted By: OldHat Gun Recommendation - 08/13/19
I'm looking for a recommendation for 22LR rifle: (open to 22 WMR)
1) *Reliable*, don't care about the action but reliability is paramount
2) Stainless steel construction with synthetic stock, I want to be able to NOT worry about the weather.

This is intended to be a work gun which will be carried through very bad weather and take some abuse.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/13/19
Price point?
Posted By: jordan555 Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/13/19
Ruger 10/22 stainless and don’t worry they work.

What kind of work? What kind of abuse?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by jordan555

Gotta agree with that. As much as I dislike 10/22's I recognize their utility.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by robertham1
Price point?

Does not have to be cheap, but I don't want to pay for any "Collectors Edition" hoo-ha.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

What do you dislike about them?
Posted By: drover Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/13/19

This is the answer. They can often be found new for around $200.

drover
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

What kind of work? What kind of abuse?

Small game. Dropped in swamps and such.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by OldHat

Nothing I can verbalize. You know how some guns trip your trigger and some don't? That's the case here. Plus the older I get the more I look at my pile of utility .22's and think about flipping them to buy more target rifles. My days of dragging guns into inclement weather, swamps and such, are way behind me.
Posted By: andymick32 Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/13/19
Going to hijack the thread as I’m looking for similar gun for my son. Were the old Savage 93s good guns? I thought I remember reading such back in the day.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/13/19
Stainless .22, Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22, new or used.

Stainless .22 Magnum, Marlin XT-22MTSL, new.

Stainless .22 Magnum, Marlin 783S/883S/983S, used. These are the older version of the XT-22MTSL.

I don't think that you can beat the stainless tubular magazine Marlin bolt actions in .22 Magnum for a real all-weather working rimfire rifle. My friend Andy is a subsistence farmer/fisher/hunter whose primary everyday take it everywhere firearm is an old and worn 883S.

A stainless 10/22 is great rifle for small game but I've never dunked one in a swamp to see how well it copes with mud. Supposed to do pretty well in snow anyway.

I might also look at the stainless Ruger American Rimfire. It's a bolt action and comes in a plastic stock.
Posted By: Oldschool65 Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/20/19
Stainless Cz 455
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

A stainless 10/22 is great rifle for small game but I've never dunked one in a swamp to see how well it copes with mud. Supposed to do pretty well in snow anyway.

That's Big Stick's job, no?

I'd suggest there are a fair number of choices in the stainless/synthetic ilk, one only has to decide what action style they prefer. Ruger has good options. Always recall Dad's Browning auto with a smile, lovely piece is was and surprisingly accurate, but....the 10/22 is a working man's gun, more so in S/S. That said, I've a couple of friends that picked up S/S RARs awhile back and they are both stupid accurate with proper ammo. Ugly? Yeah, but.......
Old Hat,

The 10-22 with a stainless barrel will work for your purpose. Available in 22 LR only.

A better option 'I feel' if you actually drop it in some muck and need to disassemble and clean the crud out of it and is also available in 22 magnum is the Ruger American Rimfire in stainless synthetic, a bolt-action. Model 8351 in 22 LR and 8352 in 22 Magnum. You should be able to find them on gunbroker or better yet here at grabagun; https://grabagun.com/ruger-american-22lr-ss-syn-18-tb.html or https://grabagun.com/ruger-american-22mag-ss-syn-18-tb.html Plus $8 to ship it to your ffl dealer. They will run you a little more than a stainless 10-22.

Jerry
Posted By: Oldschool65 Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/20/19
The Cz gives you the option of adding other rimfire bbls.Not much more you can ask for.Very reasonably priced also.
Posted By: PAndy Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/21/19
I would look at a Savage or a Ruger American rimfire for inexpensive bolt action .22. I would also consider a stainless Marlin model 60 for an autoloader...if a tube magazine would suit the need. Mcarbo sprig kit will get the trigger under 4 lbs if desired.
Bolt actions are easier to clear if you get a dud round or misfire.
Posted By: papat Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/21/19

Nothing I can verbalize. You know how some guns trip your trigger and some don't? That's the case here. Plus the older I get the more I look at my pile of utility .22's and think about flipping them to buy more target rifles. My days of dragging guns into inclement weather, swamps and such, are way behind me.

Spot on. Been giving the hunting 22s to the sons. Target rifles stay here.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/23/19
Thanks everyone. I went with a stainless 10/22 with a nice camo synthetic stock.
Posted By: andymick32 Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/23/19
Thanks everyone. I went with a stainless 10/22 with a nice camo synthetic stock.

Would you mind posting a pic and what you paid? I’m interested in getting one as well.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Gun Recommendation - 08/23/19
Better keep one or two. Sometimes the muck comes to you.
© 24hourcampfire