Home
Posting this here as the small game section seems to cater mostly to traditional grayt and fox squirrel hunters who probably have no idea what an Abert’s even is.

Anyone know of a good area to look for them in New Mexico? Used to hunt them with a friend around twenty years ago and whom I’ve since lost touch with. But I have no idea where as I’m not originally from this area. PM’s welcome if you don’t want to post publicly.

Much appreciated. smile
Too cute to shoot IMO.

Actually, I've sorta sworn off squirrels since I got my crossbow as the seasons are pretty much concurrent, and I'd just as soon clean a deer as a squirrel.

You may be the first I've seen express an interest in them.

Anyway, they're just cute rats. Good luck. Squirrel hunting is a lot of fun.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Too cute to shoot IMO.

Actually, I've sorta sworn off squirrels since I got my crossbow as the seasons are pretty much concurrent, and I'd just as soon clean a deer as a squirrel.

You may be the first I've seen express an interest in them.

Anyway, they're just cute rats. Good luck. Squirrel hunting is a lot of fun.

They are cute as hell but if we only shot ugly critters we wouldn’t be doing much hunting would we? smile
Abert's have the pointy ears?

The only place I saw them was at Bandelier National Monument just out of Los Alamos.

Good luck, I wish I was still in NM to hunt them with you.

dd
Originally Posted by tdd4570
Abert's have the pointy ears?

The only place I saw them was at Bandelier National Monument just out of Los Alamos.

Good luck, I wish I was still in NM to hunt them with you.

dd

You would be most welcome... smile
I have seen huntable numbers at several places in the Gila National Forest, especially on the east side, and the same in the the northern canyons in the San Mateo Mountains west of Socorro.
Originally Posted by mudhen
I have seen huntable numbers at several places in the Gila National Forest, especially on the east side, and the same in the the northern canyons in the San Mateo Mountains west of Socorro.

Thank you Ben. I’m trying to find them as close to Cruces as possible. I have some ideas as to where to begin my search in the Gila NF, but at 3.3 million square acres, it may take a while to find them in good numbers.
Try asking national forest rangers or state fish and game.
We have them around here.Not as good eating as a fox squirrels. All they eat is pine bark and cone seeds. Taste about like chicory squirrels.
The fox squirrels will run them out or cross breed with them
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Try asking national forest rangers or state fish and game.

That’s the plan. I’ve already inquired loosely here and there and gotten some ideas but I need to head over to the local office and really pick their brains.
© 24hourcampfire