Home
Posted By: humdinger pick two.... - 01/06/20
I'm slowly reducing my gun population before I build my retirement house in a few years and i'm debating which 2 of 4 you guys would keep...

Rem 121 pump - fair shape. No scope mount
Marlin 39A - fair shape, Peep sight now, scope able
CZ 452 sporter with leupold rimfire scope
Ruger 77.22 target grey SS laminate stock

Keep which 2 and why please

(I have no children to give them too so I don't need too many guns)
Posted By: WiFowler Re: pick two.... - 01/06/20
Posted By: cruzerbotz Re: pick two.... - 01/06/20
Agree with WiFowler. Was close to saying the Ruger 77.22 instead of the CZ, but the CZ is probably more accurate.
Posted By: Port Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Keep the Marlin and Ruger.

Sell the CZ to me.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Keep all 4
Posted By: tmitch Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Sell the 121 and the CZ after you pull the scope off. Keep that for the Marlin if ya ever want to scope it.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
As there’s not a bum in the group I can’t help.. keep them all
Posted By: kragman1 Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Kinda depends on the shooting you do/would like to do...

The Marlin is a true field gun, the Ruger favors bench shooting and the CZ does both very well.
To me it would be the Marlin and the CZ.
But if you want a bench gun then look hard at the Ruger, because if it doesn't shoot like a top end rifle today you can drop a match grade into it at home for reasonable money. Can't say that for the others.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
If you sell the Ruger or Marlin, give me a heads up please.
Posted By: humdinger Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
OP again...

I'm seeing a pattern here.

I figure the Marlin will stay because its too fun to shoot and may not be built anymore. It was also my HS graduation gift to myself.

I suspect more deer rifles and shotguns will go before the 22s.

Should I make this more complicated?

Add in a rem 511 scoremaster single shot 22 to the mix. It was something my dad had, but its not sentimental. just fun.
Posted By: papat Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Keep 3. The CZ, 39 and 121. 121 because of the cool factor.
Posted By: m1919 Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Keep all five...then buy one more to celebrate retirement.
Bunch of Dang enablers you are!

I should have known that you would tell me to keep them all...

Oh... I own them all now so I shouldn't yell at you.

There is something to be said about having extra 22s around because they are cheap to keep and get more use than a deer rifle.

I better thin out the deer rifles shotguns first though.... which I am doing now.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Guns don't take up much room keep them all and buy a few more.. I have no kids either, but lots of friends with kids, and kids I knew that are now men and would like one of my weapons,,,
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Keep the 121 and the 77. Now that we have recommended every possible combination, what are you going to do?
Posted By: ClearAirTurbulence Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Originally Posted by humdinger

The Remmie because it is way cool and you want one rifle with iron sights. Yes I know you're nearing retirement. But think of all those guys who retired 100 years ago before scopes were common. Somehow they managed to keep shooting with irons and so will you. (And the Marlin would be easier to replace.)

The CZ because I presume it's lighter and you're nearing retirement.
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

The Remmie because it is way cool and you want one rifle with iron sights. Yes I know you're nearing retirement. But think of all those guys who retired 100 years ago before scopes were common. Somehow they managed to keep shooting with irons and so will you. (And the Marlin would be easier to replace.)

Reminton iron sights seem to be better than most.

I like the cz stock over the ruger because its checkered and easier to hold with gloves in winter plinking.

I'm not a squirrel hunter, but the cz would be easier to creep with than the ruger7722.
Posted By: 257James Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Originally Posted by WiFowler

This ^^^
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20

I agree.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
452 all day. Draw short straws on the remaining 3.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Tread slowly... YMMV but my rimfires will be the last guns I sell. Just too easy to shoot, no reloading and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

I have a couple of the CZ's, had the others except for the Marlin===> Keep the CZ 452, the Marlin and the Remington 121

All nice classic rifles and a variety of actions.

Sell the Ruger... (in spite of the heavier barrel the CZ will probably outshoot it) and the Rem. 5XX bolt single shot.

You know you could keep the Remington 5XX rifle and see how it shoots Quiets... maybe keep it sighted in for a specialty round like that? Out of that 24-inch barrel you would not need hearing protection with Quiets.

What rimfire Pistols/Revolvers are you selling?

Let us know which way you fly...

Jerry
Posted By: sandcritter Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

Same.

The rem is a fun little gun to hunt or plink. Old school. Granted, am the nostalgic sort.

The CZ is a really decent modern sporter, suited to hunt plink or bench. Odds are, among the most accurate you have there.

I understand there are marlin fans and ruger fans, but am not hearing that you’re dedicated to any of those names, so, there you go.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20

+ 1000
Posted By: Redneck Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Originally Posted by tmitch
Sell the 121 and the CZ after you pull the scope off. Keep that for the Marlin if ya ever want to scope it.
That....
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Tread slowly... YMMV but my rimfires will be the last guns I sell. Just too easy to shoot, no reloading and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

I have a couple of the CZ's, had the others except for the Marlin===> Keep the CZ 452, the Marlin and the Remington 121

All nice classic rifles and a variety of actions.

Sell the Ruger... (in spite of the heavier barrel the CZ will probably outshoot it) and the Rem. 5XX bolt single shot.

You know you could keep the Remington 5XX rifle and see how it shoots Quiets... maybe keep it sighted in for a specialty round like that? Out of that 24-inch barrel you would not need hearing protection with Quiets.

What rimfire Pistols/Revolvers are you selling?

Let us know which way you fly...

Jerry

OP here again.... adding another gun to the mix.

I do have another 22 rifle. Its a westernfield (mossberg) bolt action single shot that has terrible sights and broken parts on it. No one wanted it when we stood in front of my dads gun safe dividing up his stuff so I took it. It must have been a barn gun.

$25 later I have replaced the broken parts and found a scope mount for it and its one of my most accurate 22s and I have it sighted in for subsonic rounds.

I didnt put it into the orgional decision process because it will be gifted away probable along with the 511.

As far as 22 handguns...

model 63 sw, 617 SW 6 inch
ruger mark 2 SS 5.5 inch bull barrel and a government SS bull barrel mark 2
Ruger mark 4 5.5 inch bull barrel blue.
ruger single six 6.5 inch in SS

I know the 617 will come with me for sure. some of the ruger autos will go.

What hand guns would you guys keep?
Posted By: 280shooter Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Sell the fair shape. Keep the good or better.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
OP here again....
As far as 22 handguns...

model 63 sw, 617 SW 6 inch
ruger mark 2 SS 5.5 inch bull barrel and a government SS bull barrel mark 2
Ruger mark 4 5.5 inch bull barrel blue.
ruger single six 6.5 inch in SS

I know the 617 will come with me for sure. some of the ruger autos will go.

What handguns would you guys keep?

Not trying to sound 'Campfirish' but I'd keep them all and if there are some that you never shoot... in time you could let them go.

Handguns don't take up much space and these all shoot the same round (not like you have to have ammo or reloading components for several different rounds). You could fit them all into a very small suitcase.

If I really felt compelled to thin them down I'd definitely keep the Smith's, I'd probably also keep the Single-Six (for a change) though it is my least favorite of the three revolvers. I'd also keep one semi-auto for variety.

The Ruger Mark 4 will need a Volquartsen kit for the trigger, expensive but worth it. I have a couple, they are really easy to take apart and clean. If there is any chance that you will get into suppressors (and you should) I'd keep it.

The Mark 2's had a better trigger out of the box (even though they could use a little work), I had a Mark 2 Govt. that I used for Bullseye and foolishly sold it... I felt it was the best balanced Ruger Pistol for offhand shooting.

I wouldn't be in a hurry on these, but I'm probably the worst person to answer this question... as 22's are my favorite and I really enjoy 22 handguns. Rimfires are just enjoyable and fun to shoot without the drama or cost of centerfires.

I can probably be of more help when You want to know what to pick up to replace what you sold.

Jerry

JWW,

We're on similar thoughts on the pistolas.
I have a Volquartsen kit inb the government so it may be the last one to sell. The mark 4 may go to a hunting shack kid and I bought it to see if it was better than my mark 2's

A bunch of these are used when I teach firearms safety so having a single action is to show a.. single action.

My goal is to get down to the items I really enjoy shooting and let the other stuff go so Im down to one gun safe when I move.

The smiths may be in my casket and then I will tell my hunting buddies they have to dig me up to get them. ;-)
Posted By: WiFowler Re: pick two.... - 01/07/20
Save ya the trouble. Sell me the 63.
Save ya the trouble. Sell me the 63.

Maybe... ;-)

Its a nice revolver for people like me that missed out on getting a 4 inch model 34 kit gun.

Just dont never ever do a taurus equivalent.
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Tread slowly...
Jerry

its on my 10=15 ish year plan.

see where gun ownership laws go in the next decade...
Posted By: DollarShort Re: pick two.... - 01/11/20
Had a 121 and it was my dedicated CBShort rifle. Sold it when I was simplifying/downsizing, as the action didn't feel nearly as strong as my 39M.
The 39 is my main squeeze 22s,l,lr, and seems to shoot everything well from CBShorts to Vipers or whatever hot load.
And I love a lever action 22. Nothing more classic not even a pump. But the 20" barrel on mine does make it a lot less stealthy with CB's than the 25" 121.
I do miss the quiet plinking with the 121 sometimes. But your 39A, which I assume has a 24" barrel, should come close to the 25" 121 in that regard.

For a second 22lr I like a semi auto. Who doesn't like to peel through a full mag of 22's now and then?

If I had a third... it'd be a bolt action sporter. I have a 22mag in this configuration. Feels like this rounds out my rimfire battery nicely, and I happened upon a large stockpile of ammo for it at 75% off. Although I'm always thinkin of a adding a lightweight/compact/chopped-down 22mag version for a walkabout/canoe/boat/pack/survival rifle.

I'd probably keep the Marlin and CZ from your group. Target gray does nothing for me.
Posted By: hunt_4646 Re: pick two.... - 01/11/20
Keep the CZ because of superior quality. Keep the Marlin because you will really regret getting rid of it.
Posted By: humdinger Re: pick two.... - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by hunt_4646
Keep the CZ because of superior quality. Keep the Marlin because you will really regret getting rid of it.

Were on similar wavelengths.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: pick two.... - 01/15/20

Hard to argue this.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: pick two.... - 01/16/20
I have a CZ 452 Full Stock with Leupold 6x scope, mint condition that I bought used a few years ago. - KEEPER!

I divested recently two 'safe queen' rifles and traded for a S&W M-42 target pistol .22 lr - KEEPER!
Also I traded in two rifles for a Tac-Sol Takedown Magpul Backpacker .22 lr - KEEPER!

I received fair prices for the guns I traded in - which enabled me to get firearms I would never have
otherwise considered or afforded.

Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: pick two.... - 01/16/20
Keep CZ and the 39 without even thinking about it.
Posted By: Stan V Re: pick two.... - 01/16/20
I'd keep the 121
Posted By: killerv Re: pick two.... - 01/16/20
I sure like the deer rifle feel of a 77/22 over the 452, I have both. If you don't have to have itty bitty tiny groups, keep the m77. I also have a 121 and it would be one of the first I let go, cool gun but nothing special, not in the model 61 win class.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: pick two.... - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Keep CZ and the 39 without even thinking about it.

Agreed

Jerry
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: pick two.... - 01/17/20
I would like to add on to my thoughts earlier. I don’t know what your financial situation is but if there are some close family or friends and they have kids, my not put a huge smile on someone’s face and gift it to them? You will be remembered for ever.
Just a thought.
Posted By: deflave Re: pick two.... - 01/17/20
I'm slowly reducing my gun population before I build my retirement house in a few years and i'm debating which 2 of 4 you guys would keep...

Ruger 77.22 target grey SS laminate stock

Keep which 2 and why please

(I have no children to give them too so I don't need too many guns)

The answer is no.
Posted By: humdinger Re: pick two.... - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I would like to add on to my thoughts earlier. I don’t know what your financial situation is but if there are some close family or friends and they have kids, my not put a huge smile on someone’s face and gift it to them? You will be remembered for ever.
Just a thought.

Im doing good financially, but I will use the funds raised to buy upgrades for the kubota tractor to develope my hunting land.

We set up our estate last summer and I realized I have a mess of gear to dea with and don't want to have a situation like my parents. I am already gifting and giving hunting shack kids great deals now... they two boys dont know they are going to inherit my hunting land,

I'll keep your suggestion in mind for the next generation of hunting shack kids
© 24hourcampfire