Home
Posted By: mistem Savage B-mag???? Feedback - 01/17/20
I’m interested in purchasing a 17 wsm ... undecided if it will be an over priced Ruger 77/17 wsm or a Savage B-mag. If you own a Savage ... tell me the pro’s and con’s. Thanks
It's not that the Ruger is overpriced, it's that the B-mag is a cheap, steaming, POS......

There are NO 'pros'.....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, what he said,
Posted By: mistem Re: Savage B-mag???? Feedback - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22
It's not that the Ruger is overpriced, it's that the B-mag is a cheap, steaming, POS......

There are NO 'pros'.....
. Thanks.... I’m a firm believer in buy once, cry once
Posted By: shootAI Re: Savage B-mag???? Feedback - 01/17/20
Started with Bmag. Ended up with 77/17. Hate the rear locking lugs and their POS magazine. It shot well. Only good I can say about the Bmag. Hard pass for me
I wanted a 17wsm but after handling a bmag in person there was no way I was going to buy one. I decided to buy a TC Contender carbine length barrel instead (21"). Turned out to be extremely accurate and nearly as much fun and damage inducing as my 17 hornet. In fact, I liked it so much I had another one custom made in a shorter, lighter version for easier packing. Not sure that helps you any, but another option to consider.
Posted By: Old_Man Re: Savage B-mag???? Feedback - 01/22/20
I bought a B Mag 17 WSM when they came out. Big mistake. Savage replaced the entire rifle once, the first couldn't hold 5"@100yds. The replacement wasdn't much better, and the stock seemed made of used gallon milk containers. Put a Boyds laminate stock on it, glas bedded, and did,t see any improvement....I have Boyds on another .17 and it's great, so it's not the stock.

For a rifle to be an honest 300yd varmiter it has to be MOA or better, the B mag isn't.

I have a .22 magnum, honest 100 yd varmiter, and a .17 HMR that my longest head shot is 238yds (range finder verified). My advice is forget the B Mag, go for an HMR or 17 Hornet, or take a chance on the Ruger .17 WSM if you have to have one.
Posted By: mistem Re: Savage B-mag???? Feedback - 01/22/20
Thanks.... looking for a 77/17 wsm or hornet
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14492249/ruger-77-17wsm#Post14492249
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Savage B-mag???? Feedback - 01/22/20
Another manufacture of bolt action rimfires has been questioned any number of times about bringing out a 17WSM. In short he said it was not likely. The 17WSM is based off a 27 cal nail gun cartridge. An industrial cartridge that doesn't have the same QC as rimfire ammo. Based upon such a wide variation in ammo quality, there was no way he'd venture into the 17WSM.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Savage B-mag???? Feedback - 01/24/20
If I wanted more .17 than a Hummer, I'd get a Hornet. Since my "need" for one was targets, I got a cheap Mach2. Half-inch rise over 100 yards works fine for me. The non-standard case and need for a powerful primer strike keeps some makers out I believe.

Have a real Hornet and a .223 if anything needs killin'. Still might get a Hummer for the accuracy if my Mach2 doesn't pan out. Still a work in progress.
© 24hourcampfire