Home
Posted By: snowboardguy Ruger American Rimfire - 02/14/20
What's the overall consensus on these? I have a few ruger 77 rimfires that I like but I was thinking about adding an american model in either 22 mag or 17 hm2. I'm a fan of the rotary mags but not sure about the trigger on these, are they essentially the same thing as the savage accu-trigger? Would like to hear some real world opinions on them.

Thanks.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/14/20
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
What's the overall consensus on these? I have a few ruger 77 rimfires that I like but I was thinking about adding an american model in either 22 mag or 17 hm2. I'm a fan of the rotary mags but not sure about the trigger on these, are they essentially the same thing as the savage accu-trigger? Would like to hear some real world opinions on them.

Thanks.

I bought my first m77//22 in 1985. I have also owned an American.

Here is my opinion-

1)Overall ,the American action is more user friendly out if the box than the m77 rimfire.

2) The acccuracy of the Ruger Americans out of the box is just as good as any m77 rimfires from any era.

3) The American has a better safety design(tang).

4)The Anerican has a MUCH more versatile scope mounting setup.

5)The American action is more rigid and is also tighter toleranced.

6)The American takes 10/22 mags- not 77/22 mags .

7) The American It has a lower bolt lift with more clearance for the scope bell.

8)The trigger design IS BETTER than the Savage accutrigger in that you can remove the tab safety from the Ruger trigger snd it still functions. It is fullly adjustable and MUCH easier to get a good pull weight than in the stock m77/22 triggers.

9) The stock bedding arrangement on the Ameican is much better than the m77. The barrel channel pressure point setup is horrible on the m77s. It induces a lot of action stress and the easiest way to get a m77 to shoot better is to properly bed the action and float the barrel

The only area I can say the old M77 rimfire is superior to the American is stock styling. The m77 shows Rugers origional Leonard Brownell inspired American classic styling.

The American stock is a mere handle ,designed by a commitee of tasteess marketing twits that obviously don't mind making a decent rifle look cheap and ugly.

BTW. I don't dislike the m77 rimfires. They are great guns once the trigger and bedding assorted out.

Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/14/20
I bought one a year ago in 17HMR and that thing is a tack driver. My grandson was popping pdogs out 150 yards with no problem at all.
Posted By: drover Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/14/20
JK16,

You gave a good summation of them.

Sample of three here -

#1 chambered in 22 LR at 50 yds one shot 3/4" to 1" five shot groups..
#2 chambered in 22 LR at 50 yards shot 1" to 1 1/2" five shot groups.
this was with various ammo including some mid-grade match ammo, inadequate performance from both of those IMO.

#3 chambered in 17 HMR at 50 yds shoots 5 shot groups with all touching - sub-1/2" consistently, at 100 yards 5 shot groups sub 1" as long as it is calm.

The 22's went down the road - the 17 HMR still lives here.

drover
Good stuff here.

JK16, I didn't realize the 77/22 and 10/22 mags were different. I could have sworn I've used them interchangeably in the past, guess I was mistaken.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/14/20
Good stuff here.

JK16, I didn't realize the 77/22 and 10/22 mags were different. I could have sworn I've used them interchangeably in the past, guess I was mistaken.

they are just different enough to screw everything up ...
my son has one, its pretty fun to shoot. My only gripe is it feels a little bit cheap. I guess there is CZ if you want the old school feel, but I hate the mags on the CZ's. Ruger defiantly has a huge advantage there.
Posted By: Bill in NE Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/15/20
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Good stuff here.

they are just different enough to screw everything up ...

I came to find this to be very true.
I bought a nice used 77/22.
Durn thing wouldn’t chamber a round unless I pushed up on the magazine.
I sent it to Ruger with a note.
They sent me a correct magazine and an explanation that I was trying to use a 10/22 mag in a 77/22.

I always knew I was ignorant, but this was a surprise to me.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/15/20
I think the RAR action is really better made than many of the classic rimfires that make us get all misty-eyed like Rem 580-series, old Marlins, the cheap old Winchesters, etc. Mine seems pretty solid. Apparently some have issues with extraction, but what the problem is a mystery to me. Mine works perfectly. JB just mentioned this a day or so ago.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/15/20
Shoot 77/22’s and RAR regularly. Like them both very much. Some of the 77/22’s have been tweaked by Randy at CPC. He does great work. RAR’s haven’t needed any help I can’t provide so far.

My experience with both is good. Rolling the dice between the two out of the box I’d go RAR. Not going be the best looking to my eye but certainly plenty functional and accurate.

Rob
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/15/20

Just ordered a SS .22 LR thru Sportsmans Whorehouse.

Hope it's a shooter.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I think the RAR action is really better made than many of the classic rimfires that make us get all misty-eyed like Rem 580-series, old Marlins, the cheap old Winchesters, etc. Mine seems pretty solid. Apparently some have issues with extraction, but what the problem is a mystery to me. Mine works perfectly. JB just mentioned this a day or so ago.

Mine also worked flawlessly. It was on par with my Mossberg chuckster 640KD in terms of real world accuracy. These are great little rifles. 2 of my buddies loved mine so much, that they went right out and bought one for themselves. They also bought the 22WMR. One uses his religiously on yotes. Works like a champ. I also hate to admit it, but my other buddies RAR 22WMR outshoots mine, and mine isn't a slouch:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 79S Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/15/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Mine also worked flawlessly. It was on par with my Mossberg chuckster 640KD in terms of real world accuracy. These are great little rifles. 2 of my buddies loved mine so much, that they went right out and bought one for themselves. They also bought the 22WMR. One uses his religiously on yotes. Works like a champ. I also hate to admit it, but my other buddies RAR 22WMR outshoots mine, and mine isn't a slouch:

I cannot find one up here to save my life. I want a 22 mag, great for ptarmigan.
Originally Posted by 79S

I cannot find one up here to save my life. I want a 22 mag, great for ptarmigan.

You'll probably enjoy this video then. The guy is pretty serious about rifle shooting. Has LOTs of videos. As someone once said, "It's pretty easy to see who shoots"!

Posted By: Certifiable Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/15/20
All three of my American rimfire predators (22,HMR,22mag) shoot, extract, and function perfect.
Just for fun I dropped the 17 in a Boyd’s and it does jazz it up some, but it wasn’t necessary
Posted By: driftless Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/15/20
Have two both feed and eject fine. One will miss fire more then in should primer hits are to far off the edge of the rim more to the middle.My CZs will out shot them by A good amount and the bolt does not lock down on safe. It could be me but the bolt always ends up open hunting. The mag release is in the way and easy to hit when handing rifle in the field.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/15/20
Between my buddy, me, and a nephew, we have five RARs, and all of them, five of five, have given us extraction problems. We keep them clean, bolts and bores, and still they work for awhile, then, when you want them to work, they quit. I gave mine away to family members I don't see very often, and who won't use them very much.

I REALLY liked the package (mine were the Predator variation), it's perfect for hunting and bumming around, but if the danged things need scrubbed every little bit, to me, it's not worth having. They shot pretty good, about like my worst-shooting CZ, which is still tolerable. I LIKE the rifles, I just wish they worked better.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Between my buddy, me, and a nephew, we have five RARs, and all of them, five of five, have given us extraction problems. We keep them clean, bolts and bores, and still they work for awhile, then, when you want them to work, they quit. I gave mine away to family members I don't see very often, and who won't use them very much.

I REALLY liked the package (mine were the Predator variation), it's perfect for hunting and bumming around, but if the danged things need scrubbed every little bit, to me, it's not worth having. They shot pretty good, about like my worst-shooting CZ, which is still tolerable. I LIKE the rifles, I just wish they worked better.

Im hearing a lot of good things about the cz's. I will say they arent perfect, having back asswards safeties and bolt throws that make mounting a scope a pain in the azz. A good buddy of mine bought one about 8 years ago, and i had to listen to him griping of such problems. Accuracy was awesome, yet hes having issues of split necks and poor extraction. I know where a beautiful cz 22 magnum is and they want $400.00 for it. Its tempting at that price, but from what ive seen not worth the headache.
Originally Posted by 79S

J, maybe look for a savage 93?

Now THAT'S funny!

So what's you best guess; tight chamber that gets crudded up, or build-up on the extractor?
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/15/20
Snowboardguy: I very much enjoy my Ruger American Varmint, rimfire, Rifles!
I own three of them.
One is in 17 HMR (heavy barrel, blued, laminated stock) and the other two are in 22 L.R. (one in the heavy barrel blued with laminated stock and one in stainless with a custom stock).
I also own some Ruger 77's in 22 L.R. and 17 HMR for long term/first hand comparisons.
I am more than happy with the accuracy of my Ruger Americans - I have top quality scopes on them and use better 22 hollow-point Hunting ammo in them and Hornady V-Max ammo in the 17 HMR (so keep that in mind).
The triggers on my three Ruger Americans are very pleasing to me and very conducive to accurate shot placement - including afield.
I am NOT the type of person who would own/take a savage Rifle out in public so I have NO large amount of experience with the "savage" Accu-Trigger. I have a few uncouth friends who are able to look past the aesthetics of the savage line and I have on rare occasion shot their "rifles", with the Accu-Trigger! Similar I would surmise in that regard.
I wholeheartedly recommend the Ruger American "Varmints" - I have not warmed up to their "savage-like", plastic stocked, sporter barreled, standard model.
Best of luck to you if you decide to try one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VarmintGuy, Thanks for the reply. I feel the same way you do about the savages, never warmed up to them. I'll have to see if I can find an RAR locally to check out.

Kind of liking this one.

[Linked Image from images.coreware.com]
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/16/20

Now THAT'S funny!

So what's you best guess; tight chamber that gets crudded up, or build-up on the extractor?

Probably the extractors, I kept a boresnake in a side pouch, and used it about every fifty rounds or thereabouts, and it didn't help. I DID include boresnakes when I gave the rifles to my nephews, I'm not heartless. Chambers didn't seem tight at all, mine were .22LR and .22WMR, my buddy has a .22LR and a .17HMR, and my nephew had bought one for his now ex-girlfriend in .22LR. I think Ruger needs to re-design those extractors, I'm not the only one who had issues, RFC is rife with others who had the same complaint.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/16/20
SnowboardGuy: I have not seen that model, that you depicted, myself!
I like it.
I am sure you will like one if you buy one.
Again best of luck to you when you get one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If CPC offered bolt work for the RAR I'd feel a lot better about taking a chance on one.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/16/20
Ratsmacker: I simply must ask - are you using the correct ammunition in those 5 (five!) Ruger Americans?
Because I, and my batch of high volume Ground Squirrel shooting friends, don't seem to have any difficulties along the line that you describe.
And I am sure I have run 4,000 rounds through my three RAR-V's myself - in 2,019 alone!
I don't understand?
By the way do you have any connection with CZ or savage arms?
Inexplicable and unbelievable.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ratsmacker: I simply must ask - are you using the correct ammunition in those 5 (five!) Ruger Americans?
Because I, and my batch of high volume Ground Squirrel shooting friends, don't seem to have any difficulties along the line that you describe.
And I am sure I have run 4,000 rounds through my three RAR-V's myself - in 2,019 alone!
I don't understand?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I know I never had one malfunction with mine. Flawless in operation. I trusted it so much that I shot against guys using Ruger 10-22's at our local golf ball shoots. It held its own very well. The only limitations there was speed, definitely not accuracy or function. I'd win about 60% of my matches with that rifle. Now that I shoot a Savage A17, I win about 99% of the time...These guys that have 5 buddies with RAR's, and all with extraction issues, sounds a little fishy to me... Just sayin...
Posted By: 79S Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/16/20
Originally Posted by 79S

I will give one a look, just want a good shooting 22 mag. I was looking at the Marlins about fell over seeing the prices now days. Seeing groups like your 22 mag is what I want for head shooting ptarmigan and grouse.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I will give one a look, just want a good shooting 22 mag. I was looking at the Marlins about fell over seeing the prices now days. Seeing groups like your 22 mag is what I want for head shooting ptarmigan and grouse.

J, I honestly can't say one bad thing about the RAR rimfire. I really like the Ruger rotary magazine. I'm glad they used that mag, instead of some cheap plastic crap like some manufactures try passing off as a suitable magazine. We all know the Ruger design is far superior with its flush mount and dependable operation. The reason I mentioned maybe looking at the Savage 93 is because I know you shoot left handed and they make a left hand model 93. I also shoot left handed, but like shooting right handed rifles off the bench. That allows for very quick manipulation of the bolt handle. One of the reasons I can almost keep up with the guys using Ruger 10-22's at the club's golf ball shoots. To be perfectly honest, the Savage rifles I've had generally out shoot the RAR rifles, but I've only had experience with the 22" model RAR's, not the predator models, which have a slightly heavier barrel profile. I think the OP would be very happy with the RAR, as I know I loved mine. However, with different rimfire shoots that I participate in I had to switch to the 17HMR and I also went to the Savage models, as they are know for their excellent accuracy. Here's a pic of 2 of my savage rifles and my RAR 22WMR:

Here's how my 93R17 shoots on a consistent basis. This target is actually a target that I shot at one of my clubs rimfire shoots. I believe it was a fall turkey shoot, where I walked away with 4 out of the 6 turkeys they were giving away that year:
That X-ring is only 1/2 in diameter....^^^^^

Also, here's how my Savage A17 shoots:

I actually sold my Ruger 10-22 Target model after I found out how well the A17 consistently shoots. Competing against 22lr 10-22's is like cheating when I'm using that rifle, but they say any rimfire can compete. The last competition was a bugger for the little 22lr's though, as whoever hot glued the strings onto the golf balls used too much and the 22lr's didn't want to take the ball off the string. The 17HMR, on the other hand, knocked them off with authority. If you are looking for something to head shoot ptarmigan's with, you may want to look into the 17HMR, as it has a slight edge in accuracy over the 22WMR. Good luck to you buddy and hopefully my post doesn't sway too far away from the OP's interest in the RAR rimfire rifle. Guys like varmintguy can hate savage all they want, but when it comes to downright consistent accuracy and precision, it's pretty hard to beat them....
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/17/20
BSA1917hunter: Its not that I "hate" savage Rifles its more that they are clunky, ill designed, ugly, garrish and don't re-sell near as well (quickly!) as other brands!
The entire "line" of savage Rifles (including centerfires as well as rimfires!) have NO interests from me.
PERIOD!
Never have, and I assume, they never will.
Indeed though I have shot a number of savage rimfires that shot quite well, indeed.
I have never denied that.
Nothing accuracy wise that would drag me away from my two Remington 541-T's, or my Kimber 82-G, or my Remington 40-X, or my Ruger American Varmints, or my Kimber H/S (Hunter/Silhouette), or my Winchester 75 Targets, or my Browning T-Bolt, or my Ruger 77/22's, or my Sako P-94S and a few others!
You see "life" is simply to short to Hunt/shoot/plink with an ugly, obtrusive, clunky, poorly designed Rifle (savages!)!
Oh and this - and I am not being critical, as I very much enjoy all of your recent posts showing the targets/accuracy of your Rifles but YOU never mention at what distance said targets are shot at?
It would inform/interest me much more if you would include or clarify at what distance they are shot at.
Long live the Ruger American line!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/17/20
I don't understand?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

What, pray tell, do you consider "correct ammunition? Yes, it matched the chambering markings on the barrel. I can read, and I know what ammo goes in what rifles.

For the .22 WMR, I used CCI and Hornady, mostly, as experiments with WW and Aguila didn't pan out,and caused a helluva lot of non-extracting. For the .22LR, I shot mostly CCI and Aguila, which have caused no problems in a dozen or so other .22LRs I own. As far as my buddy's rifles, he uses Hornady HMR ammo, and various inexpensive .22LR. My nephew complained about using having extraction issues with Aguila CB, or it's equivalent, a no-powder load he was using to kill vermin in his gated community.

On second thought, don't tell me what you consider "correct ammunitiion, you're a blithering idiot and I prefer to waste no more time with you.
For the price it's a good rifle in my opinion. To me it feels like a toy in my hands. I am moving over to the higher end market myself. If someone is looking for one in .22LR I would be willing to sell mine. I have shot about 100 to 150 rounds threw it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/18/20
I know it's been hashed over, ad naseum on other forums, but I sure would like to put a 'premium' 22 rimfire barrel with a match chamber on a a RAR RF Target or LR Target. Since no one is making barrels specifically for the RAR RF, it seems the consensus it to take a 'premium' 10/22 barrel, cut the shank off, turn the barrel down, rechamber and cut the extractor slot. Little bit more that I want to bite off myself.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/20/20
Why not just buy a premium blank in the contour desired and machine it as opposed to buying one already cut for a totally different rifle?
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
For the price it's a good rifle in my opinion. To me it feels like a toy in my hands. I am moving over to the higher end market myself. If someone is looking for one in .22LR I would be willing to sell mine. I have shot about 100 to 150 rounds threw it.

How's it shoot and how much??
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

How's it shoot and how much??

Sent you a PM
Posted By: cznut Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/23/20
I have set up 4 of the RAR's in 22 lr for family and friends, scoped them, trigger job, the best one at 50yds would do about 3/4" average with mid grade target ammo, others about 1" average at that distance. What needs to be remembered here is that they are hunting or plinking rifles and not match rifles. The cherry picked groups you see posted are just that, they are decent rifles for the intended purpose.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/23/20
Not long ago, Brian Pearce did an article on a RAR his son bought. It wasn't up to snuff and was going to be sold off, but Brian suggested fire-lapping it first. That improved things a good bit, and the rifle stayed.
Posted By: driftless Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/23/20
My two RAR have very smooth bores viewed threw bore scope. They are one inch guns at 50 yards with best of ammo. I believe their chambers are to sloppy and they tend to rock in the stock. Rugers bedding block system is not so great.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I know it's been hashed over, ad naseum on other forums, but I sure would like to put a 'premium' 22 rimfire barrel with a match chamber on a a RAR RF Target or LR Target. Since no one is making barrels specifically for the RAR RF, it seems the consensus it to take a 'premium' 10/22 barrel, cut the shank off, turn the barrel down, rechamber and cut the extractor slot. Little bit more that I want to bite off myself.

Does that consensus include anyone that's actually done it? I ask because IIRC, I read that the barrel is press- or crush-fit into the receiver, which might make it difficult and/or expensive.
Posted By: se3388 Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/25/20
Mine (22 lr) has been great it is an average half inch (some better some worse) gun with most everything else under an inch (50 yds). CCI Standard Velocity shoots 3/8 to 1/2 inch. And I have shot a lot of brands through it.

Steve..........
Posted By: saskfox Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 02/25/20
Originally Posted by se3388
Mine (22 lr) has been great it is an average half inch (some better some worse) gun with most everything else under an inch (50 yds). CCI Standard Velocity shoots 3/8 to 1/2 inch. And I have shot a lot of brands through it.

Steve..........

Pretty much the same here. An honest 1/2 group at 50 with the CCI standard velocity. Solid and hollow point. I really like mine. A good rifle for the money.
Posted By: Mauser12 Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 03/04/20
Mine has been returned to Ruger three times for failure and eject, accuracy issues and a bad chamber. Ruger replaced the barrel during the last trip. I shot it today, still trying to get it to shoot with reasonable accuracy. I tried three brands of ammo today and the best it would do was about 5 inches at 50 yards using a bench and bags.The barrel is free floated. It has been restocked. Three different scopes and mounts have been tried. The trigger has been replaced. The machining on it is so rough that you could convince me that it was turned from a used Mac truck axle. The bolt feels like it is traveling across sandpaper. The first trip to the range the front sight fell off it. No thanks Ruger! I am moving on to another brand. I have a 60 year old J C Higgins 42DL that will out shoot the RAR every day using any ammo.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 03/05/20
Mauser12: I simply have a VERY hard time believing your "experience"!
Again YOUR "experience" is the EXACT opposite of MY experience (and I have NO "loyalty" or connection with Sturm Ruger & Co. what so ever!) with my batch of Ruger American Rifles and those of several of my friends that also own them!
I am chomping at the bit to get back afield this spring with my three Ruger American Rimfires - among the reasons I am so eager to do so are their accuracy, reliability, smooth function, and good handling (short stubby barrels!), flush mounted magazines and great looks.
IF.... there is ANY malfunction or "loss of accuracy" amongst any of them in the future I will immediately relay that to you, and the other CampFirers here on this forum.
And this, NONE of my Ruger American Rifles have/came from the factory with "front sights" so that "bizarre" affliction will certainly not befall me.
I shake my head - only thing I can think of is maybe YOU got a lemon (a rare one at that!) but that lame attempt at rationalizing the difference you have had with your lone Rifle and my and my friends experiences with our Rifles does nothing to alleviate your concerns.
None of my Rifles, nor those of my friends, "required" a trigger replacement like you say yours did - again I must invoke WTH?
IF... that Ruger American Rifle had poor machining and the bolt travel was as you describe it "I" would not have bought it to begin with.
That is also no solution for you but maybe a lesson learn't?
I once bought a Smith & Wesson revolving pistol, NEW, from a gunshop and that Smith & Wesson pistol had NO rifling in its 8 3/8" barrel!
The resulting difficulty of the bullet travelling down that "under-sized" barrel caused me some minor injuries and MUCH consternation.
I did not write off the Smith & Wesson Company over that instance - I owned many dozens of Smith & Wesson pistols prior to that and I have bought a couple dozen more Smith & Wesson pistols since!
By the way the "replacement" pistol the head of Smith & Wessons repair service sent me shoots as accurately as some Rifles in that caliber (17 HMR)!
I am tempted to suggest that you go try another Ruger American Rifle - look it over carefully before you buy it and go forth with a moderately priced and probably very accurate and reliable Rifle - try again.
But it sounds like that suggestion would fall on deaf ears?
Better luck in the future.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 03/07/20
I think I saw where Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has the American.22 on sale for $189. I have one for the girls to use for open sight practice and it's been a good little rifle.

*Edit* Found the link: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/130219
Posted By: Lennie Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 03/07/20
Originally Posted by Mauser12
Mine has been returned to Ruger three times for failure and eject, accuracy issues and a bad chamber. Ruger replaced the barrel during the last trip. I shot it today, still trying to get it to shoot with reasonable accuracy. I tried three brands of ammo today and the best it would do was about 5 inches at 50 yards using a bench and bags.The barrel is free floated. It has been restocked. Three different scopes and mounts have been tried. The trigger has been replaced. The machining on it is so rough that you could convince me that it was turned from a used Mac truck axle. The bolt feels like it is traveling across sandpaper. The first trip to the range the front sight fell off it. No thanks Ruger! I am moving on to another brand. I have a 60 year old J C Higgins 42DL that will out shoot the RAR every day using any ammo.

Try working with amount of torque being applied by the bedding screws. If you need more help, Google will help.

https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/28287/torque-value-on-ruger-american-22-lr-stock-screws

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845377
Posted By: Lennie Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 03/07/20
Mauser12: I simply have a VERY hard time believing your "experience"!
Again YOUR "experience" is the EXACT opposite of MY experience (and I have NO "loyalty" or connection with Sturm Ruger & Co. what so ever!) with my batch of Ruger American Rifles and those of several of my friends that also own them!
I am chomping at the bit to get back afield this spring with my three Ruger American Rimfires - among the reasons I am so eager to do so are their accuracy, reliability, smooth function, and good handling (short stubby barrels!), flush mounted magazines and great looks.
IF.... there is ANY malfunction or "loss of accuracy" amongst any of them in the future I will immediately relay that to you, and the other CampFirers here on this forum.
And this, NONE of my Ruger American Rifles have/came from the factory with "front sights" so that "bizarre" affliction will certainly not befall me.
I shake my head - only thing I can think of is maybe YOU got a lemon (a rare one at that!) but that lame attempt at rationalizing the difference you have had with your lone Rifle and my and my friends experiences with our Rifles does nothing to alleviate your concerns.
None of my Rifles, nor those of my friends, "required" a trigger replacement like you say yours did - again I must invoke WTH?
IF... that Ruger American Rifle had poor machining and the bolt travel was as you describe it "I" would not have bought it to begin with.
That is also no solution for you but maybe a lesson learn't?
I once bought a Smith & Wesson revolving pistol, NEW, from a gunshop and that Smith & Wesson pistol had NO rifling in its 8 3/8" barrel!
The resulting difficulty of the bullet travelling down that "under-sized" barrel caused me some minor injuries and MUCH consternation.
I did not write off the Smith & Wesson Company over that instance - I owned many dozens of Smith & Wesson pistols prior to that and I have bought a couple dozen more Smith & Wesson pistols since!
By the way the "replacement" pistol the head of Smith & Wessons repair service sent me shoots as accurately as some Rifles in that caliber (17 HMR)!
I am tempted to suggest that you go try another Ruger American Rifle - look it over carefully before you buy it and go forth with a moderately priced and probably very accurate and reliable Rifle - try again.
But it sounds like that suggestion would fall on deaf ears?
Better luck in the future.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Another for the record, I encountered a shooter with a new rifle. The rifle was shipped a target showing a group under a MOA at 100 yards. His results were all over the target. After much examination, it was discovered that the rifle had no rifling. I would love to know how the sample target group, shipped with the rifle, made its way into box with the rifle. The target even had the rifle's serial number on it.

Humans can be humans. The people doing things at the factory may have been earning an A- grade. When I was in high school, it would have made my parents very excited and happy if I had brought home report cards with an A- average grade.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Ruger American Rimfire - 03/08/20
Originally Posted by WiFowler

That's kind of what I did to my old 77/22M. Went with a Walther 10/22 bull barrel, the 22l.r with tighter bore. Had the action and barrel threaded. Spec'd a tight 22Mag reamer by Pacific. The whole thing wasn't cheap but with Win 40JHP it shoots about like a match 22lr, and I couldn't be happier with it.
© 24hourcampfire