Home
Posted By: DUCKBRX CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/18/20
Anyone have any recommendations on a really good custom rimfire builder?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/18/20
Ed La Pour has done some custom work on my Winchester M/52 and Springfield 1922, mostly metalsmithing and rust bluing. I have been well pleased with his craftsmanship, pricing and delivery.
Posted By: drover Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/18/20
Originally Posted by DUCKBRX

What type rifle are you thinking of having built - sporter, benchrest, NRL, you will be better served by specifying since a lot of smiths specialize.

drover
Posted By: Oldschool65 Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/19/20
Joe Chacon
Posted By: cooper57m Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/19/20
Originally Posted by drover

What type rifle are you thinking of having built - sporter, benchrest, NRL, you will be better served by specifying since a lot of smiths specialize.

drover

This^. I know an excellent rimfire benchrest gunsmith and a very good general gunsmith that can do action work, barrel threading/chambering/metal work etc. but who do not do stock work other than bedding. Whatcha thinking about building?
Posted By: DUCKBRX Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/19/20
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by drover

drover

This^. I know an excellent rimfire benchrest gunsmith and a very good general gunsmith that can do action work, barrel threading/chambering/metal work etc. but who do not do stock work other than bedding. Whatcha thinking about building?

Looking to put together a rifle for the kid needs to weigh under 8.5 lbs. . Going with Anschutz or voodoo action?
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/19/20
Custom stock work included in your list?
Posted By: DUCKBRX Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/19/20
Mcmillan or Ag composite.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/19/20
Seems like vudoo checks all of your boxes- spendy, but I doubt you’ll regret it.

Give them a call and let them know your criteria. Their customer service is second to none.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/19/20
Originally Posted by robertham1
Seems like vudoo checks all of your boxes- spendy, but I doubt you’ll regret it.

Give them a call and let them know your criteria. Their customer service is second to none.

^^ This
Posted By: drover Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/19/20
They have an excellent website with rifles, weights, stock styles and good pictures of their various builds - that would be a good place to start.

drover
Posted By: cooper57m Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/20/20
I've heard good things about Vudoo but never shot one and never saw one in benchrest matches. They are popular in Precision Shooting Matches. If you are interested in benchrest matches (IR50/50, ARA) then you will want a custom benchrest rifle (either new or used) purpose built for those compeitions. My favorite action was the Stiller/Holeshot 2500X action and I used Gordon Eck as my gunsmith. The Turbo action is also a great action to build on. For a benchrest rifle the McMillan Edge is a good stock. As for barrel, just ask your gunsmith what he prefers or what has been working for him lately. I had good luck with Shilen barrels and MullerWorks are good (if you can find them). For a new build expect to pay in the $3,000 - $3,500 range depending on components used/spec'd.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/21/20
Vudoo has a benchrest version in the works.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/22/20
John Langley

PM me if you want his phone #

One of the very best!!!

Oh you enabler! smile smile
Posted By: robertham1 Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I was literally in tears when I heard about the special shipping accommodations were requested recently.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I was literally in tears when I heard about the special shipping accommodations were requested recently.

I know nothing! smile
Posted By: 1941USMC Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 03/22/20
Check with Blake Gann in Stoneville , NC . Gann’s custom guns. Top notch
Posted By: Ky221 Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by Razorhog
John Langley

PM me if you want his phone #

One of the very best!!!

I call and pick his brain often. He’s about a 20 minute drive from me, I haven’t had him do any rimfire work other than triggers on my 452s, but I know know he puts together some quality pieces
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 03/24/20
Brian Voelker is really good. I have his contact info should you need it.
Posted By: Sheister Re: CUSTOM RF. Smiths - 03/25/20
The best work I've seen in a while are the Canyon Creek Customs. Absolutely gorgeous custom work and incredibly accurate pieces. And you will pay accordingly.... wink

Bob
© 24hourcampfire