Home
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE are we doing this again - 03/09/20
Checked several of the big online ammo sellers today and while there is plenty 22lr in stock there seems to be more of it out of stock. At the stating line but did not hear the gun fired.

How does this hoarding ratio of 1 costco TP per brick of 22lr sound?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: are we doing this again - 03/09/20
Seems we're all too easily panicked into shooting ourselves in the foot with this hoarding mentality. I bartered for enough .22 RF during the last go around of this insanity that I shouldn't need to buy any in the near future.
It has been interesting, shows us how quickly the supply chain can tighten up.
Posted By: dubePA Re: are we doing this again - 03/09/20
In Walmart yesterday, always mosey on back to see how their 22 ammo stash is holding up. Oddly, they have plenty of 22 ammo locked up in the case, but the shelves that are normally stocked with 12 and 20 gauge "100 packs" of what many use for clay birds, were all but empty.

They have been keeping a pretty good supply of 22 fodder all winter, including the Federal 550 bulk packs.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: are we doing this again - 03/09/20
Didn't do it the last time. Still working on some bulk Winchester and Fed (in a pistol) I picked up at Whatamart back about 2009. Learned my lesson about crap ammo and have resisted the temptation to pick up any more. Now I look for good deals on good stuff that shoots well in my guns. Have plenty of not just that, but a good bit of also-rans that function well, but weren't accuracy stars in my rifles. In my handguns, with me doing the shooting, it's all "match grade".
Posted By: killerv Re: are we doing this again - 03/09/20
dang, just checked brownells for cci standard, out of stock
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: are we doing this again - 03/09/20
DubePA: Thanks for the reminder on the Federal 550 packs of hollow-points.
About half of all my 22 Rifles (and a couple pistols) are sighted in with this perky, pretty accurate and very lethal ammunition!
I am traveling again this weekend and will stop in and pick some more up.
Come on spring.
Hold int the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: centershot Re: are we doing this again - 03/09/20
Bought 3 of those 550 packs at walmart in Boise for 16.97 each last weekend. Hard to pass up for that.
Posted By: Buck720 Re: are we doing this again - 03/09/20
Folks need to stop this is what caused issues with ammo before. I call it hoarding!
Posted By: cruzerbotz Re: are we doing this again - 03/09/20
Seems like other ammo also. I have a good amount of 22, but wanted some Federal 50 gr WMR. Non at Outdoors Limited. Also wanted some Hornady Black 223 in 75 gr. None of that either.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: are we doing this again - 03/10/20
Just what is an old retired guy to do if not stand at Walmart's door and buy up all the .22 ammo ?
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: are we doing this again - 03/10/20
Apparently TP is also being hoarded.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: are we doing this again - 03/10/20
Originally Posted by Buck720
Folks need to stop this is what caused issues with ammo before. I call it hoarding!

BS! Democrats caused the shortage last time. mad
Posted By: gemby58 Re: are we doing this again - 03/10/20
Originally Posted by killerv

Got 5 cases off midway last week with free shipping and my bday discount $228.69 a case

Got 5 cases off midway last week with free shipping and my bday discount $228.69 a case
Still got 60000 rounds of federal auto match for 3.5 cents around if anyone intetested, its bulked packed 60000 round box packed in 500 round bags.
Posted By: dubePA Re: are we doing this again - 03/10/20
Myself and several other ol' goats at our gun club, were accused of hoarding the last two times you couldn't find 22 ammo on the shelves. It started when one guy was handing out ammo to any doofus that showed up at the range with a kid and had one crummy 50 count box of ammo to shoot. A few members asked me where he'd gotten "all that ammo". Told 'em it's cause Dan orders it by the case, always did.

Then I handed the crew that does our youth 22 program a mess of practice ammo and drew the ire of another member. He insisted I sell him some, if I had enough to give it away. Nah, ain't happening. If I get on a serious 22 Jones, can burn up hundreds of rounds in one range trip, with four or five rifles..

It ain't hoarding, if you've spent most of your adult life normally having thousands (and thousands) of rounds of assorted 22 ammo on hand. Ain't been a time in the past 50 years, that I didn't have multiple thousands of rounds of 22 in the cupboards. Plinkers need to get with the program and buy ammo when it's available. They'll be happier and I'll be happy not having to listen to them babble..
Posted By: shootAI Re: are we doing this again - 03/10/20
On the wholesale level seeing a run on 9mm practice ammo and now 45. A little in 22LR and low base shotgun. 9mm is bad right now

SGAmmo has some in stock.
Originally Posted by gemby58
Still got 60000 rounds of federal auto match for 3.5 cents around if anyone intetested, its bulked packed 60000 round box packed in 500 round bags.

FTF only or did you get something figured out for shipping to make it feasible?
Posted By: Redneck Re: are we doing this again - 03/10/20
Try here:

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rimfire-ammunition/22-lr-ammo
Posted By: gemby58 Re: are we doing this again - 03/12/20
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

FTF only or did you get something figured out for shipping to make it feasible?

Yeah you pay the shipping, 3.5 cents is cheap, 500 rounds will cost you $17.50, the same price wal mart will sell you 325 round for
Posted By: ldholton Re: are we doing this again - 03/14/20
Only when stupid people panic and do stupid things. Think toilet paper about now damndest thing I ever seen
Posted By: ldholton Re: are we doing this again - 03/14/20

Can how much do you actually shoot a year.? I doubt you're going to give a truthful answer
I happily contribute to all the the .22 shortages
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: are we doing this again - 03/14/20
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by Buck720

BS! Democrats caused the shortage last time. mad

No they didn't. The people doing the hoarding caused the shortage. Subsequent events have proven the hysteria caused that panic to be groundless.
But this should help the ammo and gun companies get through the tough times of the last 3 years. Always a silver lining somewhere
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: are we doing this again - 03/17/20
SGAmmo announced they are not accepting any new orders due to overwhelming order volume.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: are we doing this again - 03/17/20
I was a the Cabela's in LaVista, NE, on Sunday and saw that the ammo shelves were almost empty of .22 LR, 223, 9MM, 45ACP, and 12 gauge.

I guess that some people believe that society is heading for serious meltdown.

I've got enough ammo to last for awhile. The Sandy Hook school shooting in 2012 taught me to keep a year or more of ammo inventory on hand.
Posted By: jk16 Re: are we doing this again - 03/17/20
Almost all of the panic ammo buying is for defensive centerfire calibers .

Walmart getting out of the 223 ,9mm and all other handgun ammo last fall has not helped things in terms of availabilty.

By their own figures , they represented 20% of the US ammunition market and were selling ammo in about 2,500 US stores..

Nornal stocking gunshops and online dealers were caught flat footed to take up that distribution slack left by Walmart's departure

The good news is that the profits for those new ammo sales are now goin to solid 2A supporters instead of the Corprofacist scum at Walmart and Dick's.

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: are we doing this again - 03/17/20
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
SGAmmo announced they are not accepting any new orders due to overwhelming order volume.

Knda figured that was coming, but still....
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: are we doing this again - 03/17/20
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I've got enough ammo to last for awhile. The Sandy Hook school shooting in 2012 taught me to keep a year or more of ammo inventory on hand.

+10 THIS ,YUP 260 you and I think the same. Damn after Sandyhook you would have thought most people would have finally figured out "that the days that you can go to a store any time and buy what you want, how much you want, and for what you want to pay are FRIGGING OVER" JUST that damn simple as long as the MSM media figures it can use the 1st amendment to start hysteria and panic AND IT'S THEIR RIGHT TO DO so . MB
Posted By: wahoo Re: are we doing this again - 04/15/20
a friend has been buying a brick at a time for years...has two gun safes full. I've never seen him at the range with a 22 rimfire.

he thinks after the apocalypse, bricks of 22s will be the only currency. he's serious.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: are we doing this again - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

+10 THIS ,YUP 260 you and I think the same. Damn after Sandyhook you would have thought most people would have finally figured out "that the days that you can go to a store any time and buy what you want, how much you want, and for what you want to pay are FRIGGING OVER" JUST that damn simple as long as the MSM media figures it can use the 1st amendment to start hysteria and panic AND IT'S THEIR RIGHT TO DO so . MB

Amen to that. I learned from the last time, and bought cases when the price was right (just last year). I wasn't hoarding, I was practicing common sense. When I can buy ammo on sale that my rifle likes for under $200/case, why not stock up? Sales prices are no more, currently, but I've got about 5 cases on hand right now.

It's a big day for me, at the rimfire range, when I shoot more than 300 rounds. These cases will last me a good while. I still try to make every shot count, just like when I was a kid. When I go home from a "big" day, I'm worn out. In the summer, I try to get to the range at least twice a week.

Growing up poor, I'm always mystified by the knuckleheads that burn up a brick a day, or more, doing what, exactly?

BTW, I know a guy, local to me, who bought out a sporting goods store inventory when they went out of business back in the 1980s, and he bought a half-million .22 rounds (yes, a 100 CASE pallet load) of Remington Mohawks (quite possibly my least favorite .22 ammo!) . He's still got 375,000 rounds of it, the poor guy, but he's in no danger from my ammo needs. He doesn't hoard, he buys smart,
Posted By: 22250rem Re: are we doing this again - 04/15/20
First time Bill Clinton got elected president there was a run on ammo. Remember it ? It wasn't even close to the last couple episodes and didn't last near as long. But it happened. That's when I learned my lesson. Always have a several years worth supply. I write the date on the box with a sharpie and use the oldest stuff first. Never came close to running out; even after Obama got elected.
© 24hourcampfire