Home
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859843529
I certainly would not pay more then that, but I'm not a collector. $1,500 seems top dollar to me.
That guy is fishing IMO. Condition would be poor to fair IMO. With the poor wood condition, metal isn't much better, and lack of sights, that isn't much more than a $800-$1000 gun, if a guy is generous. And that "rare" USMC nonsense is just more salesman malarkey. Nothing all that rare about the USMC versions....
The CMP sold a few of those with sights for about half of what he is asking. People commonly peel off the sights and sell them separately for 2-3. hundred dollars. $1000 is generous and $800 is probably closer. The stock has been messed with to steam the dings out of it.
I bought mine, which is in better shape, for $700.
Thanks guys, LGS, been through the first 10 day 'round' with NO bids, now on the 2nd..............

Is that 'groove' on the top of the comb, between the flutes...... 'normal'????
That's a relief cut to be able to remove the bolt.

Originally Posted by muffin
Thanks guys, LGS, been through the first 10 day 'round' with NO bids, now on the 2nd..............

Is that 'groove' on the top of the comb, between the flutes...... 'normal'????
They’re not quite 2X what it should be for a starting bid. I don’t see any pics that show a matching serial number etched on the bolt. The folks shipping the rifles/bolts shipped the rifles and the bolts separately and CMP didn’t necessarily match bolts to rifles. CMP found a bolt that headspaced properly and sold some with mismatched bolts. With that many photos, I would think they’d go out of their way to show the SN of the bolt if it matched. That would definitely warrant a question for the seller about the SN etched on the bolt.

I personally picked mine out at the CMP South Store and made sure it had a matched bolt.
Muffin: I absolutely LOVE my Remington 40-X in 22 L.R. And I have always been a big fan and proponent of Remington 40-X centerfire Rifles as well.
Having said that the Rifle in question I think is WAY over-priced!
I mean WAY, WAY over-priced for what it is (condition wise).
Your monies would be better invested elsewhere.
That is an OLD and retired military trainer or military competition Rifle - in other words it has lived long under more than likely hard conditions (high usage!).
My Remington 40-X in 22 L.R. is about 4,000 units of production "newer" than the Rifle in question and it indeed shoots extremely well - I love the light and crisp trigger and I love the shape and fit of the "marksman" style stock.
I also LOVE the massive and very long barrel (27" IIRC).
My Rifle shows NO sign of accuracy loss but it has been in my possession a long time and I knew the previous (original) owner.
It (my Rifle) has LOTS of barrel life left - I am sure.
I say look elsewhere, and indeed DO look, as I am sure you will be happy when you find a "nicer" (less well used!) Remington 40-X.
I think - but I am NOT positive - that Remington 40-X rimfires that were destined (ordered for) military service came with the rougher oil and unfilled pores type finish to the wood stock.
So if you see a Remington 40-X rimfire with a shiny, pores filled, shellac type finish it is most likely not military surplus.
Best of luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
That is weird of no pictures with bolt out of the gun
Thanks guys, I will likely pass on it, unless he'll take one of my $6-800 safe queens for trade................
© 24hourcampfire