Home
Posted By: Lw308 .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
What would you call ideal barrel length for a .22lr? I see 16.5" to 24"? I'm wanting to buy a nice wood/blued keep sake rifle and I want to know what barrel length. I plan to buy a CZ.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
More of a preference decision and how it handles for you. I have a heavy barrel 22 inch that is a tad muzzle heavy but I live with it.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
I second the above. I've got 16" to 24" barrels on various 22s and like/dislike them all for various reasons.

If you are looking for highest velocity, I seem to recall reading that optimum velocity occurs around the 18" mark. Not sure if that was with high velocity or standard but it is what I recall. I've only put two of my rifles over a chronograph and the velocities were pretty close. That might be expected as the one had a 20" barrel and the other 21". Other factors making the comparison difficult was different brands of ammo, different chronographs, different times of the year, and probably differing distances from the chronograph.
Posted By: Lennie Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
16" will normally give almost all the velocity you will get from a 22.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84827

From my chrono testing, out of a 6 7/8" Ruger mark 4, ten rounds of CCI mini mag 22 LR averaged 1161 FPS. CCI's advertised velocity for mini mags is 1235 FPS which is not much more than I was getting out of a 6 7/8" barrel.

Out of the same Ruger, Federal Target averaged 1098 FPS and Federal Champion averaged 1099 FPS.
Posted By: Muffin Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
Posted By: Windfall Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
From that second chart Muffin, it sure looks way more dependent on the barrel itself than the length of the barrel. I'd read the same thing as Woodmaster8 that anything much over 18" caused drag with a LR because the powder charge was all used by that length. Honestly, I think that lots of you guys get way too hung up on velocity. What possible difference does it make if you get 1,200 or 1,150 fps? A longer sighting radius for irons or less noise from a longer barrel trumps 50 fps to my way of thinking.
Posted By: deflave Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
16" is the best in terms of size vs reward.

However, if I was going to have something built as a keepsake I would go 21".

When using the right ammo the become every bit as effective as a suppressed 22LR.

The 16" really shines when shooting out of a window. But other than that there's no massive advantage.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
Lw308: I know I am losing some velocity in my Remington 40-X rimfire Rifle with its 27" heavy barrel but the added mass while under field conditions makes it one of my favorite Colony Varmint Hunting Rifles.
Some of my Small Game/Varmint rimfire Rifles have barrels as short as 18" and I have them in lengths on up to the aforementioned 27" - so for stability afield I say longer and heavier - for "fuel efficiency" and handling shorter helps.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: local_dirt Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
Originally Posted by Lw308
What would you call ideal barrel length for a .22lr? I see 16.5" to 24"? I'm wanting to buy a nice wood/blued keep sake rifle and I want to know what barrel length. I plan to buy a CZ.

I think you'll be happy with that choice. I sent this 452 American to Marlon at Triple River Gunsmithing to do this to mine.

Cut barrel to 18"
Recrown barrel
Thread barrel using 1/2 - 28" pitch
Add knurled cap
Trigger job

One thing you may find out of the box, some of them have notoriously crappy triggers. Mine did. Marlon took care of that at a very reasonable price.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Certifiable Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
Nice rifle dirt
Posted By: 30338 Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
Mine is 18" with a 4.5" or so suppressor making it 22ish. Its pretty handy.
Posted By: DollarShort Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/10/20
20' is about ideal for a hunting rifle that is handy and balances well for me. 24 plus inches is much quieter, and 16 inch is long enough for full velocity.

My "keep-sake rifle" is a Marlin 39M. But it's no safe queen and has been through countless briar patches and barb wire fences.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/11/20
For pure accuracy sake, the best barrel length is one where the tightest spot in the barrel is at the muzzle. The way to determine this, either in a blank or finished barrel, is to remove a lead bullet from a round and push the slug down the barrel with a rod and feel for the spot of most resistance. So long as the tightest spot is at a legal length, mark the spot and cut and crown there. This is how custom gunsmiths who build the best shooting match rifles determine the length of their finished barrels. I've slugged a few custom match barrels and it's not unusual to feel loose spots in the barrel where there is little resistance. You don't want those loose spots at the muzzle.
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/11/20
Ballistically-speaking, I remember seeing a report where about 18 to 18 1/2" of barrel will get all the velocity you can get out of a 22 LR round. After that, the bullet can actually start to slow a tad as it traverses more tube. But really, we're talking a .22 LR here. A few FPS here or there matters not for anything I intend to do with a .22. For a "keepsake" rifle, it has to feel good to you, and it has to make you smile every time you look at it! For me, that would probably mean a 20 or 21" barrel for the kind of rifle you're talking about.
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/11/20
Ballistically-speaking, I remember seeing a report where about 18 to 18 1/2" of barrel will get all the velocity you can get out of a 22 LR round. After that, the bullet can actually start to slow a tad as it traverses more tube. But really, we're talking a .22 LR here. A few FPS here or there matters not for anything I intend to do with a .22. For a "keepsake" rifle, it has to feel good to you and it has to make you smile every time you look at it! For me, that would probably mean a 20 or 21" barrel for the kind of rifle you're talking about.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/11/20
My most accurate 22 has a 29" barrel. Also weights 13 pounds. For a walk around rifle I like 21 to 24 inch barrels. Depends on the rifle, these lengths seem to have the best balance for myself. A suppressor might change that with more weight forward, so a shorter barrel could balance well.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
I remember seeing a report where about 18 to 18 1/2" of barrel will get all the velocity you can get out of a 22 LR round. For me, that would probably mean a 20 or 21" barrel .

Uh. OK.......
Posted By: OldRooster Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/12/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
I remember seeing a report where about 18 to 18 1/2" of barrel will get all the velocity you can get out of a 22 LR round. For me, that would probably mean a 20 or 21" barrel .

Uh. OK.......

?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/12/20
don't pay any attention to 'reports'....... go with the gut feeling, and ignore the report that you are so interested in telling all about.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/12/20
don't pay any attention to 'reports'....... go with the gut feeling, and ignore the report that you are so interested in telling all about.

Gotcha. I bought a CZ 452 varmint from a member here, 20”. I haven’t had one that short before. This thread is interesting. I’ve wondered about how the length might/might not affect 22lr performance in a rifle.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/12/20
I prefer 22" barrels on my .22 RF rifles, looks the best balanced and shoots well.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/12/20
I prefer a 16 1/2, with 5 inches of suppressor to get that 'look'.....
Posted By: Sheister Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/12/20
On some rifles, I prefer to leave them as original as possible and Iook for the handling balance of the rifle. My Win target rifles are too heavy to carry in the field much, but the 28" barrels are great at the range. My 69A's came with 25" barrels and will stay that way as they handle fine and are as accurate as I need them to be.

I have to admit aesthetics do affect how I determine my barrel length, since I don't worry too much about a few feet of velocity loss/gain.. I've never personally cared for the look of a short (16-18") barrel and I don't hunt with my 22's in places where a couple inches of barrel length is going to make me feel like I'm trapped in underbrush, so I prefer 22"-24" barrels for the overall balance, forward weight for offhand shooting, and aesthetics... I put more weight into stock design, trigger, sighting options, and other factors to be honest...

It has been reported here many times that a 16-18" barrel will probably get all the velocity you can wring out of .22- including Stick's testing method including hacksaw and video testimonials- but to me there is more to a rifle than what the highest velocities are. YMMV...

Bob
Posted By: gemby58 Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/13/20
My 16" Tikka T1X makes a very nice truck gun, nice balance. Like it better than my 20", thinking of selling the 20".
Posted By: micky Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by gemby58
My 16" Tikka T1X makes a very nice truck gun, nice balance. Like it better than my 20", thinking of selling the 20".

Where did you get a 16"? I didn't think Beretta imported any.
Originally Posted by micky

Friend of a friend that works for Tikka, picked mine up at the great eastern sport show in feburary
Originally Posted by micky

picked mine up at the great eastern sport show in feburary
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/14/20
Barrel length,is factored by balance/handling,not velocity. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Stock style/material and barrel contour,are of course THE driving factors,just as they are in centerfire. Typically however,in a Rimfire chop,velocity does increase. Secondly,I've yet to see accuracy suffer,if only because rigidity is increased in The Chop. I'll happily let others fret a nonsensical "tight spot",as I've happily chopped alotta High Zoot Target Rifles(Anschutz 54's especially). Hint.

Long barrels' sole role,are as a Tuner Host a dat's it...unless one is gunning Irons expressly and then the distance betwixt front/rear Irons,are in fact your friend. Not my jam and it's a GREAT move to Chop more than halfa foot of spout off same,to improve balance/handling,though the velocity increase doesn't suck either. Hint.

Hummers and Whizzums follow suit,in that a chop,will often increase velocity there too. Hint.

I'd MUCH rather drive a S/S RAR,over any/all things CZ,if only due the magazines alone. Mainly because I shoot both. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

18" being a nice place there. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint...................
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/14/20
small twig: I had hoped your absence was permanent!
Damn you are back - and as arrogant and ignorant as always.
You detract!
HINT!
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VarmintGal,

I rather enjoy your Whining CLUELESS Fhuqking Stupidity...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The only thing you "shoot",is your mouth and Imagination. Hint.

Bless your heart for Whining though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................
Posted By: 44mc Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/14/20
varmint. splinters just took time off to bang his sister
44empty,

Didn't mean to horn you up,as you strolled down Memory Lane. Mebbe knock it out of the Park and extoll on how that one time at Band Camp,you stuck a flute in your poosy...you "lucky" kchunt? Hint. Congratulations?!?

BEST bang for the buck. Hint.

18" LW Clark Hummers. Hint.

NIB Annie 54 1717D HB. Hint.

54 CHOP(again). Hint.

I'll save bandwidth,if only because the surface ain't scratched and your Insecurities are very WELL founded. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Posted By: RJM Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/15/20
For me it is the balance more than the actual barrel length as was said anything over 16"s is just dragging the bullet down.

At one point I had CZ 452s in 17", 21" and 28" that I chronographed. The 17 and 21 were almost the same...the 28" I believe was 30 fps slower...all were superbly accurate. I ended up keeping the 17" because it just balanced so nice and was factory threaded for a suppressor. Inletted the stock for a Timney trigger unit and now it is about as perfect .22 bolt gun as I have ever had.

I have several other bolt action .22s but if was to keep just one it would be the 452...

Bob
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/15/20
If anyone wants a break from the 'tardery, this is a very good read.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8711043/m/3411005852
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/16/20
RamJam,

Comparing multiple rifles,in multiple barrel lengths,"quantifies" absolutely NOTHING...though multiple times. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I chop alotta spouts,both Rimfire and Centerfire,with those Realities crushing alotta Wives Tales on the average. Hint.

CZ "splendor"(PUKE). Hint.

Luckily,Bob does it right. hint.

More Turd Polishing. Hint.

The Boyd's S/S RAR is where it's at. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

PaulBurnedHard,

Kudos on the Sweet "Satisfactions" that must be your's,as you "get" to Google from your Couchbound Kchunt,while I'm shooting wares that exist. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now you can you've "seen" an AMT. Hint. LAUGHING!

Though in fairness,I've not Chopped a Rimfire barrel longer than 28.5" or a centerfire longer than 30". You REALLY "get after it". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for doing the best you can,with what INCREDIBLY little you "have" to "work" with...you "lucky" kchunt.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................
Posted By: Sheister Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/16/20
Stick, looks like you need to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner.... smile

Bob
Posted By: Lw308 Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/16/20
I prefer a 16 1/2, with 5 inches of suppressor to get that 'look'.....

I put a 16.5" threaded barrel on my 10/22 and a Magpul hunter stock and VQ trigger and reciever guts. Fixing on buying a muffler next!
Posted By: centershot Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/16/20
I think 20" is ideal for a .22lr.
Posted By: Lw308 Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/16/20
18" being a nice place there. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint...................

[/quote]
Oh hell yeah. So you would pick this rifle over the CZ?! This would mate good with all my 10/22 magazines floating around. That Boyds is sexy. I just put my TC Compass. 223 in a PRO varmit, super impressive for 182 dollas.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/17/20
Bob,

I actually have a few 'Sonics and one NIB yet.(grin)

Too many 10/22's and too many rounds,in too many places...so it's hard for me not to yerk a receiver and trigger group,then throw it in a cover of Saw Gas. What adds difficulty to the fray,is gunning in Monsoons,as ALL the ingredients are present to essentially fill a receiver with wet cement. Keep it fluid and your GTG.

I'm also embarrassed to "confess",that I've a NIB Bore Scope too. Laughing!

Sore from streamside pursuits and was "only" off on my Biological Clock and the day's time,by 5 fhuqking hours. Oh howwwwww I fhuqking love Flinging a Spring!

Hint...............(grin)

Lw',

The ONLY fhuqking thing CZ can bring to the table in comparison,is hurt fhuqking feelings. The RAR trounces 'em,in all aspects,which very much includes magazine feed/function and commonality. Hint.

Though in fairness,I only like and horde OEM 10's,despite the fact I'm guilty of having 'em all.

Hint.....................
Posted By: DollarShort Re: .22lr barrel length - 04/17/20
I like the 18" on the Ruger American too. The compact with sights, in 22 mag(8323) felt just right in the store. The Williams sights are pretty quick to point. I even like the short low comb stock insert for a pack/survival/boat gun. But would rather have stainless, although only available without sights that I saw(8352).
Don't really like the centerfire Ruger American so well, but have been eyeing the little 18" 22 mag since they came out.
© 24hourcampfire