Home
Have had one for 40 years now. Got it as a little feller. Man, what a great little shooter. It has probably 50,000 rounds on it. Anyone else have one?
I've got one that a previous owner put target sights on as some sort of half-a$$ jury rigged target rifle, #17517xx, assembled in 01/77 (BO).

I had one that used the action to put together a sporter comtour barrel 17HMR barrel from GM I wanted a 17HMR with a better trigger pull without spending money on an Anschutz.
Don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh, but I have a 581 I got for Christmas in 1967.
Had a left hand 581 back in the early 80's, that was a nice rifle. Nowadays I have a 510P single shot with the factory peep sight. It's not some great Classic Age Better Than Everything Else That Came After It rifle by any means but it's still a slick little shootin' iron. Light weight and that long barrel and sight radius lets you wring a lot of accuracy out of it

I find that it's actually more rewarding to shoot deliberately in "make each shot count" mode than spraying the landscape with a semi-auto. Of course, it is a bit slow in rolling the can mode. wink

[Linked Image]
I have a scope on mine, and it is pretty darn accurate, more so than the average .22. When in college in Dillon, mt, in the 90s, I kept track one spring. I shot 10,000 rounds in about 6 weeks on gophers. Bricks of federal hollow points were $10 a brick. The best I ever shot was 72 gophers in a row without a miss. All with my single shot rifle. My schooling suffered a bit.
My first rifle was a Model 511, got it when I was about 12 or 13, over 60 years ago. It was very accurate. I donated it to the youth marksmanship program at my range some years ago.
I do not have the 580, but do have a 510, made in 1940. I have owned that rifle for 30 years and it is a my favorite 22 lr, for G-hogs, light accurate and just feels good in my hands. I will not sell it.
Back in the early 80's it was possible to pick up 580's from hock shops and gun shops for around $50.00. I built four of them into Standard Rifle Smallbore Silhouette rifles - I would remove the barrel and send the action to Remington and have them install a 540 (target model) barrel, they charged $60.00 for the service which included return shipping. I would then install the newly barreled action into a Fajen Silhouette stock which, if I recall correctly, cost around $60. I would modify the trigger to make it into an adjustable trigger myself. Ending up with a very competitive Smallbore Silhouette rifle for under $200. They were all good shooters being competitive with any rifle on the line.

Rather than spend a lot of time on finishing the exterior of the stock I would just sand it to a fairly smooth finish and then spray paint with a rattle can, they usually got some odd looks because this was before painting stocks was popular like it is now. I finished one just a couple of days before the Canadian Nationals and not having time to even sand the stock and anything handy except some matte black paint I painted the stock with that. That gun was so ugly that they gave me an ugliest gun award for it.

If you are at a silhouette match and see one built like that there is a good chance I built it.

drover
A 580 was my first rifle. I still remember the day my father said "you need your own rifle" and took me to the local gun shop. I looked at several and took home a brand new 580. Still have it.
I have 2 or 3. One new in the box.
I received one as a gift back in 1973. Excellent rifle, accurate. and the best trigger I've seen in a while. I gave it to one of my grandsons about 3 years ago.
No I do not have a Rem 580, but would not mind bit owning one. Ihave never found a used one when out looking for single shot 22 lrs.
I have a Rem 580 that I would sell if any one is interested let me know.
I have one...Made in April 1975. Most accurate 22LR I have ever owned.
I saw a few of them built as "sleepers" in silhouette, regular stocks, bedded, triggers tuned, there was one guy that won a national championship with one quite a few years ago. Saw a few of them converted to centerfire too.
I own 2. parents bought it new for me 50 years ago. I reshaped the stock and cut the barrel to teach my kids to shoot. when they grew up I restocked it back to adult size in a full stock pattern with a fancy piece of maple. the other one is a 17 mach 4 in a nice claro stock. it is just a shrunk down 788 action and both of mine are accurate.
The trigger pulls could be lighter, but there are ways to fix these, but I always thought the locking lugs were one of the keys to their accuracy. They mini locking lugs just look cool too...
I currently have 2 of the 581’s. Have owned a half dozen or so, only one wasn’t a shooter. I also had a 582, but never shot it. Sold it to a guy looking for a twin to give to his kid. Can be picked up for sub $200, and a bargain at that price.
No 580, but I do have a 582 that just shoots ridiculous little groups and squirrels just seem to fall out the trees.
I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if I could find one in good shape.

StarchedCover
I have a 580, but I don’t use as much as I should. I have a 2x 7 weaver scope riding on top of the little rifle.
I own several of the 580's and 581's they are well made and most shoot as good as any 22--I also have one that is VERY-VERY accurate. The barrel has been cut ,2nd action screw added,bedded and a trigger job it shoots every bit as good as the two 541's that I own

Jim
My parents surprised me with my 580 for my 8th birthday. That was 26 years ago. The wifey bought me a nice fixed 4x Leupold to put on it 2 Christmases ago. The rifle is a reliable and accurate shooter. I’ll never get rid of it.
© 24hourcampfire