Home
I have a 1990 Honda Fourtrax that still runs great. Any problem with running synthetic blend 10-40 in it?

anything but.......

'Energy Conserving' spec'd

as per pic

for the two quarts it takes...

just buy Honda or Yamaha motor oil

[Linked Image from destinationautogroup.files.wordpress.com]

Energy Conserving oils has additives not suited for wet clutches
I had a feeling about that. I had asked someone to pick up a couple of quarts as per owner's manual but that's what they got
BTW the book does call for 10-40 for general use. Don't see that much anymore.

Thanks

My Kawi SxS......uses semi syn oil.....10w-40

Branded Kawasaki....4 qt jug for $23

JASO MA specs are wet clutch suitable

[Linked Image from content.kawasaki.com]
My Polaris RZR calls for Polaris PS4 oil. Supposedly it has an extra additive that protects the lifters and isn't found in the Mobile 1 that many use. Amzoil is supposed to have the additive but it costs more than the PS4. Or so they say. The problem is getting GOOD information about what's what. It's very difficult to find out if this is true to just BS to sell oil.
Been using Valvoline 4 stroke oil in my machines for about 8 years now and i've got a buddy that's been using the Shell Rotella T in his Rhino since the day he's owned it, it does not have the energy conserving additives in it which is what will toast your wet clutch. I'm probably going to switch to that since I do my oil changes about every 30 hours or so.
I tried Castrol 4T synthetic in my 03’ Foreman and it was harder to shift (foot). I went with Honda HP4 synthetic and it’s smoother / easier shifting. At least in my head.

No more than you’re going to change it, I would stick with Honda lube.
It's down now for what is apparently a valve sticking open. First real trouble in thirty years. Oil hadn't been changed yet.

By the way, I appreciate all the responses. Thanks.
Posted By: K22 Re: Synthetic blend i old Fourtrax - 09/19/20
I have a 1988 Foreman I bought in 1987 and the Honda oil is all I've ever used in it. Zero problems so far.
if its running great why change it up, i always go with the honda oil.
If it’s running good with what you’ve been running why change it. I have a Polaris Ranger and a 570 Sportsman. I run Amsoil in them with no problem. I will say my usual Amsoil dealer was out of Amsoil when I changed the oil in my Ranger last so I used Mobil 1. I could definitely tell a difference in how the engine ran. For some reason the Amsoil seems to run a little quieter than the Mobil 1. I have Amsoil to do another oil change, I just need to get off my butt and do it.
© 24hourcampfire