Home
Posted By: JPro SxS project coming along - 09/25/20
So I waited about 10 years before I finally bit off on a SxS/UTV for myself, with my ATV being a 2005 Honda Rancher 4x4. My Tacoma has effectively done dual-duty for years and it shows the wear and tear for it. I figured it was time to buy something.

Picked up a new Kawasaki Mule FXT Pro this summer and am trying to make it into what I need for a work/hunt machine. Very impressed with the 6 person seating that can convert to a long-bed, as well as the 3cyl engine and the ride quality. I put on a 4" Highlifter lift kit this week, along with some new 14" wheels and 28x10 ITP Blackwaters. ITP has treated me well so far and they are USA tires (8ply radial). Ride quality remains good, even after the lift. I'm at 200 miles thus far. Digging the ground clearance now, as it was a bit too low in factory form.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For those of you with experience, do you prefer the flip-up windshields with struts, or the flip down with a hinge? There are some far better options out there these days than what is on my father's 2011 Polaris Ranger. Several hunting buds have gone the flip-up route. Coatings are good, but I'm trying to sort out which windshield offers better durability in the long run. Super ATV makes some good units, as does Seizmik. I hear that the solid windshields with vents can be not quite airy enough for our dusty and dry summers. Any insight is appreciated!

Posted By: gaswamp Re: SxS project coming along - 09/26/20
flip down windshield. is that mule liquid cooled?
Posted By: JPro Re: SxS project coming along - 09/26/20
Yes, liquid cooled and EFI.
Posted By: Torqued Re: SxS project coming along - 09/26/20
Nice looking sxs there. I have a 1 piece lexan windshield on my sxs. It's about to become a fold down. The next windshiled will be d.o.t
Posted By: gaswamp Re: SxS project coming along - 09/27/20
hows the noise level and heat level in the cab
Posted By: JPro Re: SxS project coming along - 09/27/20
It's relatively quiet, much like my buddy's P1000 Honda Pioneer. A lot better than SxS units of old. Sound levels have come a long way.

As far as heat goes, it's good, as the motor is under the backseat area, so the driver catches very little. Kids don't complain either. I think it's a pretty well-sorted machine.
Posted By: badger Re: SxS project coming along - 09/28/20
Looks like you're on the edge there WRT CV joint angles. Not unreasonable to expect to replace CV boots on a more frequent interval, simply because you're working them harder. Not sure about CV joint life, as some are more robust than others. Good looking machine though.
Posted By: JPro Re: SxS project coming along - 09/28/20
I'd have preferred a 2-3" lift kit, but nobody makes one. This one is about 3.5-3.75". Some companies call them 2" kits, as they move the mounting location by 2" or so, but they all result in 3.5-4.5" of actual lift.

After doing a lot of reading online I couldn't find CV angles being an issue, even though a lot of people were asking before buying lifts. The common consensus is that the geometry looks less-than-ideal, but failures are uncommon due to the size of the joint. The kits have been around since 2016 or so. Will keep an eye on it though, as they will indeed be getting worked harder than before.
Flip up vs flip down comes to if you want to open it on the go. I like the flip down for trailering but you have to stop and get out to move it on the trail. So for a short water section where flip ups temporarily close it, we get a little wet.
© 24hourcampfire