Home
Posted By: ironbender How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/03/21
Ours are doing very well. Fat and sassy.

Yours?
I can't say anything about horses, but my llamas are overweight. We haven't had enough snow to cover anything. The problem with llamas is that you need to feed them grass hay. They'll get way too fat on alfalfa and it's too rich for their digestive systems. Something that's getting popular here for horses and llamas is teff hay. It's a semi-tropical annual grain that originated in the middle east. It's lower in sugars and a few other ingredients and is good for horses. They seem to love the stuff. It grows very well here in so. Idaho but probably wouldn't do well farther north. It has to be reseeded every year and they only get 2 cuttings but horse people say it's worth the effort. The market price is the same as other grass hay. The 1st cutting has the grain head on it and is harvested green. It regrows once with leaves and stems. Both cuttings are supposed to be very good feed. I just bought a ton for the llamas and they're eating it like candy.
The farmers who grow it usually have horses and grow it for themselves, selling the extra. I've bought it twice and that was the case both times. it probably isn't economical to grow if you don't feed it yourself.
Same, fat and sassy. Done a little riding but lately, the snow/mud has slowed things down. The next week looks promising, though.
I’ve heard of the text hay on here. Not grown nor available here.

We keep a good eye on condition especially in the winter. Using THIS SYSTEM we aim for a 5 during winter and 6-6.5 in winter. I’d call our boys at 6.5-7 right now.

Don’t mind them bring a bit chubby this time of year. Always worry “what if” they get sick and go off their feed. I like to see some margin.
Hay burners, that's what they are doing know.
Originally Posted by ironbender
I’ve heard of the text hay on here. Not grown nor available here.

We keep a good eye on condition especially in the winter. Using THIS SYSTEM we aim for a 5 during winter and 6-6.5 in winter. I’d call our boys at 6.5-7 right now.

Don’t mind them bring a bit chubby this time of year. Always worry “what if” they get sick and go off their feed. I like to see some margin.
It's very susceptible to frost. We can't plant it until June. They say to not plant until the soil's at 65F. It grows fast, though. It germinates in 3 to 5 days and the 1st cutting is at 45 days. I have a little bare patch out here that I was going to seed in grass this spring. I think I might plant teff instead and when it's belly deep I'll let them graze if off just to see what happens.
Mules are so hairy, I can't tell but they get way more feed than they need
Posted By: Robster Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/04/21
Fat and happy, despite the snow and cold!
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Mules are so hairy, I can't tell but they get way more feed than they need

Yup. Not like summer when one can assess condition visually!
Originally Posted by Robster
Fat and happy, despite the snow and cold!

Fat and happy February is a good thing.
It’s coming boys!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It’s coming boys!

It is coming,but still two months away for me.Going to ride their mules down to Phantom Ranch at the Grand Canyon the1st of April
Posted By: byron Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/05/21
My horses are doing great! We always try to take them into winter a little heavy. This winter has actually been pretty mild, so it's been easy to keep them looking good. Was a little worried about one of the weanling Morgans we bought last year. The ranch we bought them from runs the mares and foals way up on the Owl Creek Mountains their first year, and the mare was apparently not making enough milk so the filly was a bit behind. Plenty of good hay (grass/alfalfa) and mineral supplement and she picked right up, has put on lots of weight and size.
My horses are having a very good winter, I'm sure mild by your standards. They all have good sound feet and my wet weather spring is flowing well enough to not ice up too often.
It’s coming boys!

It is coming,but still two months away for me.Going to ride their mules down to Phantom Ranch at the Grand Canyon the1st of April

That should be a great trip! When we did the Red Rock Ride last year, there was a big fire on the north rim (where we were to ride) that prevented that. Got rescheduled to another, but different ride that day.
That pic is my daughters old boy Hank. Taken in June, so yeah, a ways off.
Mine are long haired and slightly plump at -10 degrees
Thanks, guys.
Simply too much gas-burning talk here. 😉
Posted By: byron Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/07/21
Thanks, guys.
Simply too much gas-burning talk here. 😉

Speaking of horses, didn't you buy a horse hear a few years ago (A blue roan?). I think you bought him down here in the lower 48. How did he work out?
Correct. Funny thing, he’s far more blue roan in the summer- very silvery. Winter, he’s more bay roan looking.

He’s my wife’s mount. He’s working out pretty well. Really looking for one with more training, but it is what it is.

He is very willing, personable, and tries. My wife had gotten pretty good as a backyard trainer.

He fits in well with our outfit.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Mine are fat and sassy but getting legged up for shed season!
Had to put a 2nd tank heater two days ago. One 1500 W would not cut it. High today so far is 8 degrees, looking at -6 Sunday night.
Lack of water is the most significant cause of colic in equines in the winter
Posted By: byron Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/13/21
Correct. Funny thing, he’s far more blue roan in the summer- very silvery. Winter, he’s more bay roan looking.

He’s my wife’s mount. He’s working out pretty well. Really looking for one with more training, but it is what it is.

He is very willing, personable, and tries. My wife had gotten pretty good as a backyard trainer.

He fits in well with our outfit.

When you say you're looking for one with more training, what are you looking for?
Sorry. Meant that in the past tense. Not currently looking.
Had to put a 2nd tank heater two days ago. One 1500 W would not cut it. High today so far is 8 degrees, looking at -6 Sunday night.

I have a retired 15 cu ft chest freezer as my water tank. There is a hole in the lid to drink through. Its pretty beat up and plan to build a new on this summer.

I have a sinking 1500W heater in it. Never have had ice in it (if the heater was plugged in). Gotta think it doesn't cycle all that much.
Posted By: byron Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/13/21
Well shoot and here I was getting all excited that I have a mare I ride that might like it in Alaska. grin
Originally Posted by byron
Well shoot and here I was getting all excited that I have a mare I ride that might like it in Alaska. grin

Ha ha. No mares here either!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/14/21
I have a 25+ year old QH gelding. He is not wintering well. His feet have always give him problems, and it's gotten to the point where he can hardly get around on dry frozen ground. I have given thought to putting him down, but can't. He started doing this last year, but when the grass came out, he slicked up and was getting around pretty good.
What’s the foot problem?
Posted By: BobMt Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/16/21

I got tired of dicking around with water heaters.....checked around and went with a bar bar a waterer ......has never frozen even down to -40..

doesn't use electricity...other than your well has to work......bob
Posted By: JamesJr Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have a 25+ year old QH gelding. He is not wintering well. His feet have always give him problems, and it's gotten to the point where he can hardly get around on dry frozen ground. I have given thought to putting him down, but can't. He started doing this last year, but when the grass came out, he slicked up and was getting around pretty good.

That's a good story. I bought this horse from a friend, when he was about 20. All I knew about the horse was that he was dead broke, and anyone could ride him, which he was. He's as bombproof as they come. After the deal was done, I was told that I needed to keep shoes on him, because his feet got a "little tender" at times.

I use the same farrier as the previous owner used, so he knew the horse well, and told me that he was of the opinion that the horse had gotten foundered at some point, hence the tenderness in the front feet. Anyway, if we were doing a lot of riding, I'd keep shoes on him, and during the times we weren't, I'd let him go barefooted, and it's worked pretty good. This winter though, he's gotten pretty sore footed, although it seems to come and go. I think the biggest thing wrong with him is his age, as he's at least 26.
He’s getting up there.

A horse that’s foundered in the past, sometimes needs pads when shod. Also, if you have a place to put him to dry out his feet might help so soles are not soft. Turpentine helps to harder the sole too.

Eventually, it’s time to go to Nome.
Picked up 100 bales for the dependents yesterday. Bought it back in the fall from a buddy over the mountain and he kept it in the barn for me. This should keep 'em fat and happy until June/first cutting time.

I’m so happy with my little kubota and round bales!

Posted By: Ralphie Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/23/21
Mine are doing well. I do have a 28 year old sorrel gelding that I'm starting to wonder about. He did pack out half of two different elk this fall and did ok. Going to be tough, he raised my kids. The roan my daughter is on in the first picture has already moved on to greener pastures.

Posted By: 44mc Re: How Are Your Hosses Doing? - 02/24/21
good stuff Ralphie keep them kids on the hay burners
Love those pics of your kids riding. Gettin it done!

We still have my daughters old paint/QH gelding. He. Is an old 24; missing teeth. He is on Alaska Mill old timer, beet pulp, and rice bran, with a squirt of corn oil. He’s real good making green spitballs out of hay. But, he’s in pretty good shape for the shape he’s in. I won’t pack him anymore though.
We’re still feeding my wife’s old gummer, deaf and gonna be 36 years old this year. Old sucker would probably still buck if you saddled him.
This is the only one I have handy of the girls from a couple of years ago:

© 24hourcampfire