Home
I have had a hunting ATV for years that I have moved around with a trailer. Now I also have a travel trailer and can not pull both at the same time.

To take both, I am trying to locate and buy another ATV that will fit into the bed of my 2016 F250 standard bed Super duty. I have a step (factory) in the tailgate and have 79" clear in the bed to work with.

Manufacture's wheel base data has not been useful as it does not translate to overall length considering front and rear overhangs, etc.

Does anyone have any real world info that would help me narrow my search for an ATV that would fit my needs?

Thank you.
Unless you just want a new atv (tell the truth now), take a look at these overhead ramps. They're made for UTV's but work just as well for atvs. To be honest, loading one like this would scare the hell out of me.
Or, you can load the atv from the side with the right ramps.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]
[Linked Image from offroadingpro.com]
Originally Posted by mjac
I have had a hunting ATV for years that I have moved around with a trailer. Now I also have a travel trailer and can not pull both at the same time.

To take both, I am trying to locate and buy another ATV that will fit into the bed of my 2016 F250 standard bed Super duty. I have a step (factory) in the tailgate and have 79" clear in the bed to work with.

Manufacture's wheel base data has not been useful as it does not translate to overall length considering front and rear overhangs, etc.

Does anyone have any real world info that would help me narrow my search for an ATV that would fit my needs?

Thank you.

I had a Polaris Sportsman 500 for years that would fin the bed of my F-350 long bed.
It might be worth looking at this one. It may give you enough room:

https://www.titanramps.com/carriers/atv-carriers/raised-atv-utv-truck-bed-rack/332022.html

I've used bungie cord to keep tailgates up when hauling an ATV that was too long to allow the tailgate to close.....close to closing but couldn't. The cord from latch to latch on the back kept the tailgate up against the back tires.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Unless you just want a new atv (tell the truth now), take a look at these overhead ramps.

I have been found out! lol
Thanks
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I had a Polaris Sportsman 500 for years that would fin the bed of my F-350 long bed.

Yeah I had a 150 long but the 250 is a crew cab/standard bed and I thought it would be just right at the time. Oh well. Thanks
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yeah I had a 150 long but the 250 is a crew cab/standard bed and I thought it would be just right at the time. Oh well. Thanks

Nope. I had one of those too. You got to leave the tailgate open and let your rear tires rest there. And then, of course, strap it in.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
It might be worth looking at this one. It may give you enough room:

https://www.titanramps.com/carriers/atv-carriers/raised-atv-utv-truck-bed-rack/332022.html

I've used bungie cord to keep tailgates up when hauling an ATV that was too long to allow the tailgate to close.....close to closing but couldn't. The cord from latch to latch on the back kept the tailgate up against the back tires.

The machine I currently have rides partially on the TG so I cant lift it anywhere closed. If I go to a smaller machine, strapping the TG closed like you did may work. But a call to Titan ramps on Monday may change the game plan! I may be able to keep my current machine. I'll see how much room is to be gained by their ramps. Many thanks for the link.
Problem solved. Polaris 570, fits with tailgate up and no other mods required.
Thanks all.
i have aCF moto 1000 cc machine. it "fit" in my f150 Super crew, with the rear tire on the tailgate. mine is the 5.5 bed. i would think something along the size of a 500 cc machine would fit in a crew cab 6.5 foot bed
Originally Posted by gitem_12
i have aCF moto 1000 cc machine. it "fit" in my f150 Super crew, with the rear tire on the tailgate. mine is the 5.5 bed. i would think something along the size of a 500 cc machine would fit in a crew cab 6.5 foot bed
What does your rear axle weigh? You might want to beef up that tailgate. Take a close look at the hinges. They aren't very strong for carrying much weight.
Yamaha Kodiak 450 is smaller than the Polaris 570 in both length and width, plus most would say it is a far better machine than any Polaris.
I am no engineer but me thinks that if you are loading with ramps, at some point you have most if not all the atv weight on the tailgate. So when completely in and the rear wheels are still on the tailgate that weight is something less than when it was being loaded?
For me it's now a mute point because the machine I now have allows me to fully close the tailgate after I have ramp loaded.
Thanks again for your hints and suggestions.
I got the old lady a Honda Rubicon for her birthday last year, thought it looked huge next to my old Kodiak 400. Fit in her standard pickup truck bed just fine, but bed is 8'. I'm a Honda guy, owned them since the early 80's/3 wheeler days. Do yourself a favor, get a Yamaha Grizzy 700 and be done with it! I only got her the Rubicon because no Griz in stock last Feb. MUCH more user friendly machine.
I'm going to do some measuring to see if this rack would allow me to close my tailgate. I have a long bed Dodge. My Razor is about 4" too long to close it so I have to tie it shut. This might get enough angle to allow me to close it.

[Linked Image from titanramps.com]
Originally Posted by gitem_12
What does your rear axle weigh? You might want to beef up that tailgate. Take a close look at the hinges. They aren't very strong for carrying much weight.

the hinges werent the problem. the tailgate didnt stand up to the weight of loadng the machine. i bought a 5x8 trailer
Good thread, my f150 has a 8 ' box that is not the problem . Finding a reasonable price atv is...mb
Could you mount a hitch on the back of the travel trailer?
Loading, on the trailer, or in the truck. Have any of you ever had a boo boo here. A high rate of ATV accidents happen this way.

I couldn't count how many times I've loaded. But after dark with a heavy dew & a slick ramp with wet tires was one for me to remember.

A couple of these pics of hauling solutions give me the willies.
Originally Posted by overmax
That's not legal in many states. Plus, some TT's don't lend themselves to being tow vehicles.

Not on my tt. The bumper is paper thin not warrented for such. Private triple tow is also illegal in my state.
Putting a hitch on a TT usually involves mounting it to the frame, not the bumper. Those bumpers aren't designed to carry any weight. It might not even be strong enough for a hitch carrier.
This ^^^^^
Understood, I have a couple of friends who have mounted a bumper/hitch to the frame of their tt. One pulls a sxs on a trailer behind his the other pulls a pontoon boat behind his.
Putting a hitch on a TT usually involves mounting it to the frame, not the bumper. Those bumpers aren't designed to carry any weight. It might not even be strong enough for a hitch carrier.

The bumpers are designed to carry a tube that carries crap.....literally.....
I’m pretty sure a Honda Rancher or a Yamaha Kodak 450 would fit. Both great machines.
Understood, I have a couple of friends who have mounted a bumper/hitch to the frame of their tt. One pulls a sxs on a trailer behind his the other pulls a pontoon boat behind his.
Here's a good article on towing 2 trailers including a list of states where it's allowed. There's no date on it so laws might have changed. In general, the western states allow it but the eastern states don't. At least some states require an RV doubles endorsement on your drivers license. Also, as far as I know, no states allow 2 bumper pull trailers, only a 5th wheel pulling a bumper pull.
DOUBLE TOWING

Here's a good article on towing 2 trailers including a list of states where it's allowed. There's no date on it so laws might have changed. In general, the western states allow it but the eastern states don't. At least some states require an RV doubles endorsement on your drivers license. Also, as far as I know, no states allow 2 bumper pull trailers, only a 5th wheel pulling a bumper pull.
DOUBLE TOWING

Probably not allowed in your state of ID. Sure as hell not allowed in OR. Looks like something they would do in Arkansas or Missouri though, but those guys also do their cousins...so there's that..
Have you looked at the new Honda Pioneer 520? Supposed to be designed to fit in the bed of a pickup.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
DOUBLE TOWING

Probably not allowed in your state of ID. Sure as hell not allowed in OR. Looks like something they would do in Arkansas or Missouri though, but those guys also do their cousins...so there's that..
Yes it's allowed in ID.
Snowbirds planning a trip south for the winter with 2 trailers have to plan their route carefully. In the west, OR, WA, and WY don't allow it. ID, MT, CA, NV, UT, and CO do. You might have to go way out of your way to keep it legal.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Another ridiculous projection from carpetbaggers... at least the people of AR and MO are capable of fueling their own vehicles.
Originally Posted by tzone
I’m pretty sure a Honda Rancher or a Yamaha Kodak 450 would fit. Both great machines.

I have a 2018 GMC 2500 with the 6’ 5” bed and the tailgate will not close on my 2016 Honda Rancher. Also, I love my Honda Rancher
I have a healthy aversion to steep quad/atv ramps to load up.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Yamaha Kodiak 450 is smaller than the Polaris 570 in both length and width, plus most would say it is a far better machine than any Polaris.

I would be one of those folks. The Kodiak has been a superb machine with zero problems. It fits well in my pickup bed if I take out the tool box.
[b][/b]
Originally Posted by Morewood
I have a healthy aversion to steep quad/atv ramps to load up.
You mean like this? Driving it up there will develop your pucker power.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

I have a Polaris RZR 800 that will fit flat in the bed of my long bed pickup. The tailgate won't quite close so I have to strap it shut . When the front tires just clear the tops of the ramps, I lose sight of them and often get too far to one side. That makes really tricky to unload. I've often had to jack up the back and push it one way or the other a few inches to get around the wheel wells.

Thank you.

A Suzuki King quad 400 cc is 45" wide at the wheels and the 500 is 47.8 at the wheels. I have the 400 and want the 500 but I haul it in my pickup. With my 7' bed I need to have my tailgate down to get it to fit in the box. With an 8' bed you should be able to get the tail gate closed with the 400. I haven't measured the length on a King quad 500 yet so I don't know how it will fit in the 8' box.
kwg
I rented a 2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 last year for my elk hunt and it fit with the tailgate closed in a 6.5' bed of my 06 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. You couldn't fit much else in there, but the bike fit between the fender wells.
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I rented a 2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 last year for my elk hunt and it fit with the tailgate closed in a 6.5' bed of my 06 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. You couldn't fit much else in there, but the bike fit between the fender wells.
Any atv and the 50” Utv’s will fit between the wheel wells of any full size pickup. The length is the issue.
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Any atv and the 50” Utv’s will fit between the wheel wells of any full size pickup. The length is the issue.

That's why i mentioned I have a 6.5' bed length and could close the tailgate. A 700 Kodiak filled my bed, more than my old Polaris Sportsman 500 did. All the space I had left was the width of the fender well on both sides of the bed to the rails.

I have absolutely no experibce with any UTV of any size.
Originally Posted by gunzo
Loading, on the trailer, or in the truck. Have any of you ever had a boo boo here. A high rate of ATV accidents happen this way.

I couldn't count how many times I've loaded. But after dark with a heavy dew & a slick ramp with wet tires was one for me to remember.

A couple of these pics of hauling solutions give me the willies.

I have a friend who used a rack like in the second post. It flipped on him while backing out, but on the bed height ramps, not on the higher ramp in the bed.
I
Originally Posted by kwg020

Thank you.

A Suzuki King quad 400 cc is 45" wide at the wheels and the 500 is 47.8 at the wheels. I have the 400 and want the 500 but I haul it in my pickup. With my 7' bed I need to have my tailgate down to get it to fit in the box. With an 8' bed you should be able to get the tail gate closed with the 400. I haven't measured the length on a King quad 500 yet so I don't know how it will fit in the 8' box.
kwg

I have a Suzuki 750 King Quad and load it in the back of a 6 1/2 foot bed by using a set of steel ramps in front to lift the front end and get the 4 wheeler into the bed far enough to still close it he tailgate
This guy is one of the lucky ones. Stupid, but lucky.

Yikes. Strap the ramps to the bed.
A 5x8 utility trailer has been one of my better investments for loading virtually anything remotely large. If I can't lift it by myself, it doesn't go into the truck bed.
When I don't have a topper on the back of mine I still use ramps. I use a single fold, 1 piece ramp and run a ratchet strap to the drop hit to hold it in place. A 1 piece ramp and the strap is safer than 2 ramps...especially if they aren't strapped.

When I have a topper on the truck I use a 5x8 trailer. Like Windfall said, it's been a great investment for me....I had no idea how many things I'd use it for on the farm.
I had a pair of those folding ones, rated to handle 1500lb. My Razor weighs an even 1000 but one of the ramps broke a couple years ago. All 3 rails sheared off right next to the hinge as the rear wheels went over it. Luckily, the expanded aluminum held until I could get the Rzr all the way in the trailer. I now have a set of solid ones, rated for 2500lb.
We had a small trailer that had ramps on the front and back. Worked great. After you had the trailer hooked up you just dropped the front ramp onto your tailgate and drove thru the trailer and up onto the bed of the truck.
© 24hourcampfire