Home
Posted By: wabigoon A pony for Gilbert? - 03/24/23
Shetlands can ornery, what about a Welsh?
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/24/23
Sure why not? How old/big is Gilbert. Maybe wait a couple of years and get a horse?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/24/23
Gilbert is six.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/24/23
My cousin-in-law used to raise Welsh pony's for her kids and sale. She liked them for her kids.
Thanks all.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/24/23
Usually with a Shetland the kid is too small to control it and when he does get old enough, he is too big for it. They get spoiled because the kid is too young to know what to do. It is not the fault or the breeding of the pony. There are some good ones out there, but are few and far between. I had one for my kids, but it had been through a few families before then and did well.

Myself, I started riding a welsh pony when I was about 9 years old and did so until my middle teens.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/24/23
A big problem with Shetlands is that they're too small for a knowledgeable rider to break them. They all end up being half assed broken by kids who don't know how. The breed wasn't developed for riding. They were bred to be draft horses to use in English mines where full sized horses were too big for the job.
Posted By: ironbender Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Sure why not? How old/big is Gilbert. Maybe wait a couple of years and get a horse?
Solid advice.
Thanks all. I leanin' tword a horse.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/25/23
I’d 100% get a horse. Moving my 7 year old daughter from a pony to a horse was one of the best things I done. I also ride the horse too and so far that has helped with the horse trying to get away with stuff. So far so good.

My 7 year old isn’t as confident and brave as her younger sister. Something that helped her a lot was working her horse from the ground in the pen then riding in the pen. Then when she was comfortable I’d open the pen and let her go. Now she will tear out and go anywhere but we will use the pen to start some. I think it’s good for both of them.

I sure hope everything goes well for you and y’all have a wonderful time.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/28/23
What about a mule?
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/28/23
Not a mule expert (except for packing) but I think a mule's brain is a harder match for a kid unless you spend a LOT of money.
Posted By: ironbender Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/28/23
4 wheeler.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 03/29/23
As long as the mule is broke, broke, broke. I sure don't know why, but most GOOD mules like little kids. Might be because the mule is looking down at them and they present no threat.

Breeding mules, the most important attribute of a mule is disposition. The jack and mare will sure enough pass it on to the mule foal. A good dispositioned mule is a pleasure to have and you can do about anything with, one with a sorry disposition you will cuss it's entire life.

Mules are like dogs, they have that strange ability to judge a human, good or bad. One person will get along famously with a mule, another one, the mule will never trust. Kids more than likely have not developed that presence.

I had a team of mini mules. Horse mule and a molly.The molly was friends with everyone, the other not so much. However, if a couple little kids went into the corral, both would be right there wanting attention. I sold that team to a pastor that had a sort of petty zoo. He told me later, that those two were always the favorites.

I don't condone letting little ones around any equine unsupervised, but I have seen mules step carefully around youngsters. Some little kids seem mean from the get go though and I would not trust them with my dog.

Problem being, horse, pony, or mule, most people won't spend the money to get good one.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 04/01/23
I rode double with my dad at age 4 and by myself at 6. Give him a little while and a good horse will be money well spent.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: A pony for Gilbert? - 04/01/23
I learned to ride a big horse at 6. I just needed to climb up on something to get on. It didn't take long before I was riding just fine.
© 24hourcampfire