Home
Posted By: beaglehunter hounds and mules? - 12/13/02
How do mules/horses handle hounds around?
<br>
Posted By: saddlesore Re: hounds and mules? - 12/14/02
99.9% of mules do not like dogs/hounds. They don't mix well, but can be taught to get along. Folks in MO, ARK and such use smaller mules to coon hunt sucessfully. But a dog running around in a mule corral is living on borrowed time. BTW, in reference to your other post, most field trial people who work dogs on horseback use walkers.
<br>If you are seriously considering using one to trail after beagle, I would suggest a horse. Hate to have one of your prize dogs end up flat.
<br>
<br>I had two mules that would work a dog in unison. They had it down pat and would kill any dog in the pasture, including mine.
<br>A good friend of mine had a mule trained to almost pushbutton. It killed his wifes dog. She said either the the mule goes or you and the mule goes. ( The mule went)
beaglehunter folks down here in east texas use mules to coon hunt as saddlesore said. Small mules also trained to jump fences where ever you hang a tow sack on the fence.
<br>Saddlesore is also right that mules don't like dogs and can get downright mean around them if not trained to tolerate a dog around its heels. I have seen mules kill baby calves too.
<br>If you are planning to use mules with beagles you need to train them well. As in coon hunting rabbit hunting occurs where there is woods around. You need to get your mule stump broke. It has been so long since I did it that I have forgotten how to stump break a mule. Ask saddle sore to tell you how as he probably remembers. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>BCR
Posted By: saddlesore Re: hounds and mules? - 12/14/02
Boggy. I'm not going to go there!!!!!!
© 24hourcampfire