Home
The 'girls' in the family have successfully destroyed the last two ATVs we gotten over the past five years or so. While I'm working on getting them going again my wife decided to buy a new one. So we're going to get a carbureted Yamaha Grizzly. I was thinking about getting the 550 since it is fuel injected, but it apparently doesn't do well if the battery isn't kept up and I already know what happens to ATV batteries in winter. Besides, it doesn't have the option of a pull start. So we're going with the 450 instead. The dealers I've talked to say the belt works out okay and typically lasts several thousand miles. So, you guys that might run Yamaha autos (or other brand autos), how true is this? After running many, many thousands and thousands of miles on standard gear shifting transmissions, am I going to be disappointed?
Never had a single problem with the belts on two Suzuki Eiger's ('03 and '05), '07 King Quad, or my '06 Yamaha Rhino.
I have no advice specific to an ATV, but Yamaha (and many other companies) have been making belt drives for motorcycle engines that stand up to WAY MORE power than we are talking about in an ATV. It really is quite mature and reliable technology in motorcycles, and I can't see why it would not be so in an ATV.

Nobody I know of has had any belt problems in any Yamaha. I know of one bent tie rod in a Raptor -- but the owner was jumping it a lot, and I think that was the good Lord sending a sign for him to stop that nonsense! smile

John
For slow going pulling a trailer belt drives can be a issue heavy machines need a little momentum. Tough to do in our big mud. I have a Polaris 6 X 6 and find I need to ride it like a
snowmachine try to keep it rolling all the time. Going down hill much prefer a manual tranny. I reduced the sprocket on my
rear wheels and clutched it to engage sooner, seems to help but
I am the primary rider.
The only belt issues I've seen were on Polaris Rangers, usually when high range was used when low would be called for. Water entry in the belt case is a potential problem, though.
www.atvconnection.com

They just did a write up on the belt system.Yammy came out on top.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
www.atvconnection.com

They just did a write up on the belt system.Yammy came out on top.

Interesting site -- I will pass it along to my ATV crazy friends.

Thanks for posting the link.

John
Regarding battery problems - are you able to put a trickle charger type system on them and keep them plugged in all winter? I use them for my Miata and motorcycle with no battery issues after a long and ugly MN winter.
Mark

Your a snowmobile guy..You should no all about belts and machines out and about. grin

I have a belt driven UTV..I am not to worried about it using snowmobiling as an example..We both know what can happen and go prepared,right...

Jayco
Ron, You're right about the snowmachines and I tend to get lots of miles on any belt I run on them even though it takes all of two minutes to change one if you work really slow. Then again, I also know it is possible to smoke a snow-mo belt in less than 10 miles if something isn't right in set-up or operation. And since even the dealers tell me a belt change isn't a simple ten minute deal on a Yamaha ATV, I am curious what people who run them have experienced.
Mine has never broke so I can't tell you on my Yamaha belt driven UTV but I doubt it is not something I can't fix in the field with an extra belt and some common sense.

Jayco
Belts have come a long way with some of the newer synthetics. How many new cars or trucks still use timing chains? Darn few.
Yamaha probably has the best belt system there is. I'd not worry about it. The Griz 450 is also one of, if not the most reliable machine made. You didn't make a bad choice, you made a great one!
I've run the older Yamaha snowmachines and an old 350 four-wheeler that went many, many years, changing hands several times. Recently we took apart one of the last models of two stroke snowmachines they built (other than the Bravo which still exists in their line-up, at least in Alaska.) As ever I was, that snowmachine quite impressed me in a number of ways in terms of quality engineering. I don't expect less of the new wheeler when the big Cessna drops it off in the next week or two. I guess part of the reason I am looking for the anonymous reassurance is that I also made the decision and purchase sight unseen. I am no rubber burning belt twister when it comes to the snow vehicles so the ATV should work out well it sounds like. You guys have given me what I was hoping to hear. I let it you know what I think after I've had a chance to give it a workout.
The only issue I have seen with belt drives are when they get water inside the the belt cover. The machine is basically dead in the water until you drain out the water and let it dry, that would be my only concern about a belt drive. I know the 450's were prone to breaking front axles but maybe they got that issue cleared up by now.
Get a Honda. No belts.
I have a 9 year old Polaris 700 sportsman that's on its original belt. Never had a single issue with it, even when I have submerged the machine in mud/water.
The 450 has a drain in the belt case for water.Just like the 700 Griz
A quick question for those in the know, does the belt case have a breather tube like the Hondas have for their diffs and carb?
yes. they have an intake (mine is in the air box) and an exhaust (also routed high on the machine). the primary has fins cast into it so the clutch housing has air going through it to cool stuff.
I dont have issues, with belts on my Polaris 6 X 6 unloaded. Loaded heavy in big mud pulling a trailer it will have issues!
No momentum and stuck will burn a belt quick! Most people will not see that kind of use on there wheelers, much prefer a convential drive over a belt in those conditions. Best to let
others pull my trailer in those conditions, and I am in lo range!
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have a 9 year old Polaris 700 sportsman that's on its original belt. Never had a single issue with it, even when I have submerged the machine in mud/water.

I'm far from a Polaris fan, but I will say they must have done it right with the Sportsman 700. Everyone I've seen has been abused and kept on chugging.

my o7 polaris 500x2 weighs 1000lbs and i haven't changed the belt yet. 1400 miles
Klikitarik,

Lots of Grizzlys here in WV. Rough country. I have two, an '05 660 with 2700 on the clock that has been rode hard and put away wet as well as a 2011 450 EPS.

In my limited experience belts have not been an issue.

Here's where you want to ask.

www.grizzlycentral.com/forum
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Klikitarik,

Lots of Grizzlys here in WV. Rough country. I have two, an '05 660 with 2700 on the clock that has been rode hard and put away wet as well as a 2011 450 EPS.

eek

That is on my really, really, really, want list. grin
i have a rhino 700. No issues with the belt. Just recently replaced the sheave with a machined sheavea dn greaseless rollers, with a heavier spring for the secondary, and a severe duty belt. Did the conversion myself in ab out an hour. Changed the whole response of the vehicle.
You will be fine with a belt drive.
I have a 07 450 Grizz, and have not had any problems with the belt. If you use low range at speeds under 10 mph you should have 0 issues.
I have an 08 Grizzly 700 EPS with 8200 miles on it and not one issue with the belt.
Klik,

I plow a 110 yard long driveway with my Polaris Sportsman 500 (2000) and have since 2001. Original belt was replaced when the seal in the belt cover was replaced last year, but the original is a good spare. It didn't need replacing. Water in the belt case has to come from a leaky seal or else the air intake which is on the side of the gas tank. Again - no issues in 12 seasons. Mine pulls moose out of swamps, across clear cuts, fire wood logs, tree length, trailers with soil for yard work -- name it, mine has pulled it, or pushed it with aplomb.
Originally Posted by xploridaho
I have an 08 Grizzly 700 EPS with 8200 miles on it and not one issue with the belt.

that's pretty impressive...

It's all good to hear. I know Hondas and know how rock-solid they once were. Our newest bike is a Suz 400 which we've run for almost a year and a half. It has 13,000 miles, many of them quite abusive which is why it's been crapped again. So we're running the old 98 300 Honda TRX presently. 30-40,000 is certainly low for a mileage estimate on that old rig. Much like the one before it, there is has been no reason to see the inside of the motor, something which certainly changed when the engines were turned transverse in the frames.

I guess the new rig - it's an EPS since they didn't have other models- will probably get a good workout. Hopefully I'll be able to report back in a year or so how it has worked for several thousand miles. Thanks for all the great input.
Finally got the machine on Saturday and run it for a few days. It's certainly a machine which feels different to ride, more stable, less bumpy with a load approaching 400 pounds than with only my 'scrawny' 210 pound frame on it. I'm still getting used to not moving my left foot. My brain is so accustomed to reacting to the engine rpm; I want to shift this rig all the time. Engine sounds do seem loud with an added whirring whine in the mix, presumably the fins on the clutch sheaves. I love the way engine brakes. It seems ideal for rough terrain; perhaps a bit less on the level would be nice. We're overdue for the first oil change with 250 miles on it, so I'm going to have to make an order. Then I can go hunting with it. This machine seems very solid. I have great confidence that it will do well.
Any pics of the new one Klik.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Any pics of the new one Klik.

Yeah, inquiring minds want to see.
I have a hunting spot that has settled this debate for years now. Over a hundred river crossings! and (lots of floating).. Never seen a Yamaha or a Polaris make it Yet! Seen them make it part of the way!!! Belts just don't hold up with prolonged water crossings. I watched a brand new Polaris not make it across it's "very first" water crossing without the belt slipping (dead in the Water). It had 3 miles on it!!

Hondas and "old school" 89'-02' King Quads will go ANYWHERE!!!
[Linked Image]

Two weeks old now, exactly 532 miles on the odo...

[Linked Image]

Not as keen on this rig for road use as compared to one of the geared tranny types, but it sure works well on the rough; nice seamless low gearing is perfect for whatever. Having always been a solid rear axle guy, I wasn't sure I'd like the IRS design, but I was fooled there as well. Works great; I had no trouble walking across this boulder patch without ever putting my foot down. (Oh, and the EPS works great. I didn't even think about what that would have felt like to negotiate with standard machines until I was already across and realized there had been no work involved on my part.) It feels very solid, not light and nimble like the Suzuki Eigers feel. This beast feels like it is firmly attached to the ground.
Good looking machine Klik.
© 24hourcampfire