Home
Posted By: Greyghost First with a 1,000 - 08/31/01
I bought my 2001 Polaris with a 500 H.O.. Yamaha's coming out with a 660 in their 2002 Grizzly. Polaris is coming out with a 700 in their 2002 Sportsman. Who do you think is going to be the first with a 1,000? And do you think it's really necessary? Heck might as well just go out and buy a Jeep C.J.<P>Phil
Maybe I'm missing something that is obvious, but I sure don't see any need for the bigger ATVs. Understand, I'm not knocking someone else's choice, it is their money and more power to them, I just don't see the advantages and I see several disadvantages. Like you said, if you want a jeep or a car, get one.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: First with a 1,000 - 08/31/01
Cat, my ATV is about the right size. I can't see going any bigger, and maybe should have went smaller. But if that 700+ pound beast ever fliped, or rolled over on a leg. It would be like trying to climb out from under a full dress hawg.<P>Phil
I have been fooling around with ATVs for a few years and I don't want a big one. I guess it would depend on what you use them for. I want a small one that I can thread through the brush. Only problem is the real small ones that I like don't have 4 wheel drive and you need that in the swamps. I have been able to drive several different sizes and types that belong to friends of my boys. The most useless POS to me is a Mule. Too big to get off the road with and not big enough to really haul any thing in. I'd like to have something like a low motor cycle with training wheels. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>BCR
Posted By: Greyghost Re: First with a 1,000 - 08/31/01
Hey Boggy, Arctic Cat has got 4x4's in the 250, the 300, 375, 400, and 500 too. Not just the big ones. Also in both automatic, and the older standard shift. But the 375 just comes in the automatic. These are all trail models, not the race type. I've heard they got a pretty good reputation too. This is just thumbing thru a ATV magazine, and looking at one of their ads.<P>Phil
Posted By: badger Re: First with a 1,000 - 09/02/01
Boggy,<P>I sometimes think that I could have gotten by with something smaller than my Foreman 400 too, the Honda 300 4X4 seems ideal & their reliability & toughness isn't an issue. The 300 will go where mine won't (small gaps between trees in the woods etc) but now that I have the 400, I'll stick with it. No other complaints. It will be interesting to see the ATV market in 5 years. Will power steering, cruise & A/C be options??<BR> [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img] badger
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: First with a 1,000 - 09/03/01
I've got a Honda Rancher 4x4 ES which is the follow on to the 300 fourtrax. To me it's the perfect hunting setup. It goes anywhere I want to go, hauls out anything I want to haul and is reliable and easy to ride. I guess it's human nature to want to go faster an bigger but I can take my rancher into places that others have a hard time getting into. I just don't see the need for anything bigger for a hunting quad.
Posted By: J. Calhoun Re: First with a 1,000 - 09/05/01
I don't own one, but have used the polaris 6x6, and I must say, if ya wanna haul some stuff into the woods, it's quite a machine. It is definetly not as manuverable as the 4x4, of course. But if you want to haul out your camp and a moose too, it is really the only choice, unless you go to something bigger yet, but most of those have roofs and windshield wipers!<P>John
Posted By: JohnLab Re: First with a 1,000 - 09/08/01
I have a polaris 250 explorer 4x4 and it can go places the big ones can't. It has plenty of power, too. Just make sure to get the extended warranty because with polaris you need it.
© 24hourcampfire