Home
Hey folks! Here are the links to some of the trail horses I'd like to look at. These two geldings are mature and well-practiced at packing folks around:

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-565512

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=20129367&cat=106&lpid=3&search=

This little mare is priced very low--but she's actually the closest to where I live and I feel she's worth a look. She won't win any beauty contests, but she looks tough!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=20129837&cat=106&lpid=4&search=

This mare is not really in the mold of the others--but I've added her to the list because she fits the qualities of my "dream" horse and wanted your opinions of her. Perfect conformation and bloodlines. Young though, and the ad says she requires an "experienced" rider. In this case, however, I don't think that the seller is using that phrase as code for "wild as a March hare" and untouchable--just saying that she's young and sensitive. What are your thoughts?

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-529723

'Dream horse' and 'mare' don't fit in the same sentence.
Huntsman, I'd usually agree with you absolutely on that, but a few of the mares I've helped start these last four months of my apprenticeship have really changed my mind. Plus, the little mare I rescued and broke in for my little sister three years ago is the sweetest tempered equine I've ever known:
[Linked Image]

That's me on my little sister's mare, Eclipse. Trust us, we named her that well before we knew there'd be a stupid book about a vampire with "Eclipse" in the title.
I prefer a smaller horse and the 1st one is too big for me.

I'd prefer the other gelding, as I generally prefer a gelding over a mare, but I have had good of both. At present I have a molly mule as my main ride, but I sure wish she had come out of her mama with different plumbing.

Of the two mares, the gray seems better and you can't beat the price. I'd put the age/experience ahead of a 4 yr old.

The bay mare sure seems to have alot of doing for just a 4 yr old which I would be leery of.I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the breeding of the bay.Of course blood lines give an indication of how a horse might perform, but in the end,it's all about the individual horse.You can get good or bad out of them, no matter the breeding.I'd say something might not be right with the bay mare if they are giving her up and selling as a trail horse.I just get suspecious when I see a horse advertised such as that.However, if the price is right and she is close.I'd go look at her

Of course as with any horse offered for sale, what the seller says and what the horse does is usually a little bit if not a lot apart. In addition, the buying price of a horse is always the cheapest part of horse ownership.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I agree with this as a rule, but there are exceptions, of which I had one. Ruby the wonder horse died last June at 30.

But, every horse is an individual. That first horse looks tall in the photo, but I know very few people that actually measure their horses height or tape their weight, let alone get them on a scale. I think all that has to be taken with a grain of NaCl.

I know horse prices have dropped down there in America smile with the economy and lack of hay last year from heat and drought. I would look very closely at any $650 horse, but that gray "sounds" good.

If it was me, I'd look, but not be in much of a rush - BTDT. It usually doesn't work out well.

1) too tall
2) sold
3) possible
4) too young
Originally Posted by saddlesore
In addition, the buying price of a horse is always the cheapest part of horse ownership.

Oh, so true!
Well I'll be the odd man out. I don't mind at all riding a mare. Yes they can have "a moment" at times but then so do I!!!:o) I personally would like a younger horse so that the opportunity is available for more time w/ the horse if all works out. And I prefer a taller horse as I have to do a LOT of cross country travel & get tired of playing w/the sagebrush. Good luck w/ whatever route you choose.
Cheers

+100
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Well I'll be the odd man out. I don't mind at all riding a mare.

I don't mind riding mares either, including my own.
Like I said, re: mares - there are exceptions.

To wit: Ruby The Wonder Horse. All ya had to do was ask.

[Linked Image]
Thank you all so much! I especially liked IronBender's succinct list, that was too funny! And, you're absolutely right--buying a horse is the cheapest part of owning one. The little black mare in the photo only cost 200 dollars, since the elderly owner was just trying to give her away and retain some dignity. I'd say that--over the last three years--the farrier, board, and vet bills have added up to a good deal more than that.

I had made plans to go see the bay 15 year old gelding, but he got snatched up a bit too quickly. I am on to the gray mare. If she is as good as the seller claims she is though, I don't think she'll last long either.

Any tips on specific questions I should ask before or after the test ride? I have the horrible habit of falling in love too easily, especially if I'm having a good time. With horses, of course--not with people smile
Ruby was such a pretty girl. God rest her smile
Originally Posted by SedonaMare
Thank you all so much! I especially liked IronBender's succinct list, that was too funny!

Basics ma'am!
For the verticaly challenged ,those tall horses can be a challenge themselves. grin
and it's a long way to the ground....

Don't you keep a step ladder in camp, Vince? smile
Originally Posted by ironbender

As huntsman eluded to, it's not the getting on that's a problem it's the unexpected getting off. grin
Of these, my pick for you would be the gray mare. She's the solid one to get you going now, but she does have some age on her. The little bay roan mare is a prospect. Mares vary widely on disposition. I gave one away last year that I really liked except she was a walking estrogen festival. Then they are some mares that act like geldings. Because of the price, I would take a look at the gray mare. With horses you want to hold your money together. Should she not be a perfect fit you can likely turn around and get your money back.
Of course, you could be like the woman from Wisconsin who is in the news. She embezzled more than $30,000,000 from a town of 17,000 in order to be in the horse business. She had taken some $3,000,000 in the past year. Good criminal talent -- hers faded -- seems to be the key for success in the horse business these days.
Originally Posted by maarty

As huntsman eluded to, it's not the getting on that's a problem it's the unexpected getting off. grin

It's not only the getting on, and the possibilty of falling further but throwing that darn saddle up there for 10-15 days in a row in the dark, in the cold,in the snow.

I had a really nice 16hd walker mule that I finally sold becasue of that. My 6'-2 hunting pard had an identical one as he always wanted a tall mule.He now rides a1 3&1/2 hd mule and the tall one stays home.
Since the gelding is sold,I"d go with the gray mare.13 yrs old doesn't bother me. She still has 8-10 good years in her, maybe moere if treated right.Just make sure she is 13 and not older.Some sellers will fib a little once they are smoothed mouth.
I've taken that gravity-assisted voyage. cry

The other thing is when an uninitiated person sees some draft breed and asks, "would'nt you like to have that horse to pack"?

I tell them only if they lift the panniers up there and pay the feed bill! grin
If you go see any of these, tell them not to catch them up before you get there.
4 yo mare might be good but I'd pass if I weren't experienced.
Look for easy. I'm thinking you don't need a project.
Good luck.

Anyone who's ever ridden a horse for more than a few minutes has taken that voyage.
Originally Posted by maarty

Anyone who's ever ridden a horse for more than a few minutes has taken that voyage.

That's why I decided I like horses that are 15 hds better than those that are 16. I had a 16 hand QT and it was along way to the ground. As far as mares I'll take geldings all day everyday. I have a nice looking Kentucky mtn horse mare but she is a knucklehead and the wife rides her ONLY. I don't bother to and I won't let anybody else on her.
I might ad that every mare I've ever ridden along with has pissed me off one way or another.
Chicks don't like you? smile

my Ruby was a little bit of a man-hater because of previous experience. She required some adaptation on my part to forge a relationship.
I ride a mare. Actually getting ready to buy another.
This geldings vs mare thing is horseschitt... No pun intended.

If the work from the get go was quality there shouldn't be issues. Now I realize them chicks have chemical things to deal with. So, modern science has helped us out

Regu-mate.

However, owning a horse is no like owning a cat or a dog. You work with a horse and then come back a month later and expect to have the same horse? Having a horse, a 1000# +/- animal the has more power than you can humanly control and you expect it to do what you tell it, how you tell it when you tell it... if you only spend time with it occasionally? You expect this magnificent beast to listen to your feet, knees and hips and some leather pieces attached to a piece of metal you put in it's mouth...and you only have time to teach once or twice every other week? You dog or cats get more attention than that and how well trained are they?
The horse brain isn't like many. The left and right don't communicate back and forth or vice-versa. You have to teach the left and right independently. Repeatedly and often...

Having a horse is building a relationship if you don't have the time don't have a horse. It is a commitment nothing more nothing less. Much to that!

15 hands of over 16... who needs to fret 4".

Too many are fixated on looks, size, color... what about the foundation, abilities, bone structure, confirmation, feet and lines. They matter way more than the wrapper.

One needs to ask yourself when buying a horse. Why is it for sale and why so cheap?

No matter what the horse seller says any we purchase go back to training from square one. Yours should too. Doesn't hurt to schedule a showing and show up very early.

Jus sayin'
Cocadori.
Although there is alot of truth in what you post, good training or not,it has been documented many times over that geldings are more stable on temperment as a general rule. Inducing drugs into the equation should not be necessary.There are times when a mare is more desireable. Such as leading a pack string of mules, which generally bond very quickly to a mare horse.For a person using a horse once a week or less,it probably does not make a difference,but if you are making a living off a horse, or just using one a lot, that little bit of snottyness or worse that mares can sometimes get into during the heat cycle can be very irratating. I don't want to have to go find the drug to stop it when she comes in heat 1/2 way thru a long 5-6+ day trail ride or hunting trip.

Take a hundred mares and a hundred geldings with all the same breeding and training and you will get a higher percentage of stable animals out of the geldings, but may very well get several good mares out of the lot and a few jugheads out of the geldings.

As for the 15 hd vs 16 hd, that 4" can and has made a difference to many. A 15 hd animal is doable for me,but 16 hd is over the top as I am only 5' 5". I really prefer 14hd. Can I get on/off and ride a 16hd animal? Sure I can. However, my comfort zone means a lot to me. In addition when out bush whacking and trying to find a way to get to and pack out an elk in heavy timber,the smaller animal is a lot easier to negotiate thru the timber, and if I need to pack that animal, that extra 4" to heft a heavy pannier or elk quarter makes a big difference on the side of a mountain.

If heigth did not matter we would not spend as much time as we do breeding animals for specific purposes. ie. big tall thorobreds for jumping and little ponies for pulling coal/or carts out of mines in the past.

To me the best color is broke, but if I had my druthers between two animals with the same training and everything else being equal I would buy the one that I favor a certain color. Just as I might buy a vehicle in a certain color.

There is no sense in buying a horse and then going down the road and saying "Gee I wish this horse was shorter or taller", or " I wish this horse was black instead of sorrel"

If we limit ourselves to a very narrow set of parameters,we will never find the perfect horse,but it does not hurt to have preferences. For instance, I would never buy a 16 hd horse for myself, and I would buy a blue roan over a sorrel, but would take the sorrel if it was a better horse, but would not by a belgium for a saddle or pack horse.

It's all moot to me as I ride mules,but will ride a horse if it meant I had to walk otherwise. grin
Funny thing I've noticed, women will not put up with a mare acting witchy; they get right after them. Men are much more likely to show patience with a mare in her moment.
Much easier to work with 2 lbs of brain than 1000 lbs of muscle.

Gotta get their head first.
Why a horse is for sale and why so cheap (if that's the case) is always a good question to ask, but we are in the buyer's market of all buyer's markets. As concordi said, show up early, and, when possible, use the horse for a few days, but I have never seen a time when so many really good horses could be found for almost nothing. Yes, you have to sort through a lot of rejects to find the gem, but there are lots of people out there who simply cannot afford to keep a horse any more, or have to cut down on the number they own, and they simply want their horse to find a good home. You will recognize these people because they will ask you (the buyer) as many questions as you are asking them.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Funny thing I've noticed, women will not put up with a mare acting witchy; they get right after them. Men are much more likely to show patience with a mare in her moment.

That's because we have to get use to putting up with witchy women all our lives.
and the same 2 lb. brain, can be adversely affected by hormones, either mother dearest or mare......
and when the hormones kick in, it's sometimes easier to wrassle that extra 1000 lbs, than deal with the 2 pounder......
I'd have to go look at the young mare. Neighbor here had an own son of Peppy San Badger and he was one of the best cow horses I've thrown a leg over. Rode several of his colts too and they were all athletic, smart and easy to work with although one had a cold back but he got over it easy enough after a few crow hops.. Just a guess here but she probably was used in the cutting arena and couldn't stay in the money.

A big plus is she has probably been handled and dragged to town a lot so that alone can add some needed maturity.

She is bred well.

She ain't too tall.

She however is a mare but as others have pointed out there are exceptions. I had a mare bred pretty close to the way she is back in the early 90's and I wish I had a hundred more like her. You just never know...
Cocadori.
Although there is alot of truth in what you post, good training or not,it has been documented many times over that geldings are more stable on temperment as a general rule. Inducing drugs into the equation should not be necessary.There are times when a mare is more desireable. Such as leading a pack string of mules, which generally bond very quickly to a mare horse.For a person using a horse once a week or less,it probably does not make a difference,but if you are making a living off a horse, or just using one a lot, that little bit of snottyness or worse that mares can sometimes get into during the heat cycle can be very irratating. I don't want to have to go find the drug to stop it when she comes in heat 1/2 way thru a long 5-6+ day trail ride or hunting trip.

Take a hundred mares and a hundred geldings with all the same breeding and training and you will get a higher percentage of stable animals out of the geldings, but may very well get several good mares out of the lot and a few jugheads out of the geldings.

We ran 70 horses and 10 mules. We were about 40% Mares. Never had issues. We had performance horses ( reined cow ) we had one mare that got regu-mate.

Our picket animals we mares. Never had to lead a string with em. Our pack strings coulda cared less who led em. We did have our point animals and drag but they never cared who was leading. Just who was picketed.

Never had one "in season" while hunting. The ones in season on pack trips might squeel every now and again but nothing that ruined their work ethic.

Not sure about you but I don't know that many making a a living of a pony these days. I'm in talk with a few right now with some big outfits in SW MT , NV and UT and they never specified gelding or mare. But they are much more concerned about build, smarts and the initial ground work.

I realize that my opinions and experiences won't make a hill of beans difference on what sex horse anyone buys. I'm just growing weary of this "gotta have a gelding cause mares have issues" way of thinking. So many "horse people" have this ingrained in them that they have been fools and overlooked exceptional horses cause they were a mare. And still do.
Yup. I'll overlook an exceptional mare for an exceptional gelding anytime, ingrained fool that I am....
ALthough a small sampling of ones I have owned myself, my wifes barrel horse was a witch of a mare.Of three mollies I have raised and owned, one, when in heat hated bad weather and seemed to think I caused it. Another would not walk 10 yards without having to stop and pee and did not want to work. The one I have now doesn't want to work when in heat.Generally though,the geldings have not had those problems.

Problems I have had is when I have my stock on high lines or hobbled out with other guys stock and they are mares,there is always a problem of domance issues with the mares kicking, sqealing, generally fighting etc. Not so much with geldings.Definitely those mares in heat will tend to kick out more in a lined out situation when another horse has tendancy to stick thier nose up the mares butt.

Big lot numbers some folks will not notice it as much, but when you are in the 2-3's type of deal, a witchy mare can be real irratating.

I have led a few pack strings and typically lead with my mule and mules in the string. But if one is leading all mules and wants those mules to stick around camp, a mare horse hobbled or picketed out will keep them there a lot easier.Switching out leads in a big outfit,the mules get to where they don't care, but if a fellow wants or only has one string of a few mules and leads with a horse,those mules,if run all the time will sure get buddied up to the horse,and it seems a mare even better. If a fellow is packing horse,they are too dumb to care.

It's not a big problem,but if I was looking for one or two horses,it would be a deciding factor in my purchasing strategy.
[Linked Image]

Damn mustang mare.... probably worth nothing... except she'd work a gelding to death, leave em in the dust and never look back...

jes' sayin'
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

That's because we have to get use to putting up with witchy women all our lives.

Which was my next observation. When I noticed women will not put up with it from a horse, I started watching women with other women. They never pull that crap with each other. Women don't put up with it; only us men are dumb enough to.

Theres mares that are good horses, and geldings as mean as any horse. I never let my mares run with the geldings because I was worried they'd cripple one. For me personally, I'd take a good gelding.
Like Okie, I'm a big fan of the Little Peppys. Some of the best horses I ever rode.
Funny people are mentioning paper when it's not really necessary to trail ride or work the hills with "paper".

We fancied Quixote when we worried about paper. For the stuff indoors.
Oh, I'm not saying there are not some darn good mares out there, in fact a lot, but I figure I had to put up with all that female stuff with my wife for many years and I sure don't have to with a horse or mule.

Of course Sedonamare is excluded from this. No offense intended towards that young lady.
Yup. I'll overlook an exceptional mare for an exceptional gelding anytime, ingrained fool that I am....

Agreed.
Can't ride the papers and if you're just looking for a trail horse, anything that will carry grandma thru the desert will do. If you're going to use a horse, you're going to have charactistics you're looking for. Any breeder with an idea of what they were doing bred for a type; something with a sound mind, good athletic ability, maybe some size and stature etc. The Little Peppys represent what I'm looking for in a horse. They're cowy, all day horses. I don't know much beyond QH's, but what I really like is a horse with cow and race breeding. Little Peppys are all that. Every line in him goes back to a race horse, they just happened to be cowy too.
It use to be the QH breeders raced their horses. If they were fast they might make it to the ranch next, where they had to prove their worth again. If they were fast and cowy they might keep em and bred em. Pretty good program IMO. I like horse that have proven their worth.
AS far as bell mares and pack mules are concerned, I'm with saddlesore.
This isn't directed at anyone but a compilation of comments out of the threads regarding sedonamare's horse stuff. Keep in mind she's looking for a trail horse.

I still don't see why anyone here is talking performance or cow horses. Funny how it typically morphs into I have "X", breeding or I look for "y" breeding. For a trail horse? Guys are so eager to talk how well breed their horse is for "work" yet how many make a living off the back of their pony? How many take that pony an go win money off of it?

I also hear talk of shorter the better .. don't like tall stuff...I gotta wonder.
OK so look at the papered stuff everyone mentioning.. usually 15HH give or take a bit north or south. Ok great but last I checked they are bred thick and wide. Yet no one mentions how uncomfortable it is to ride a wide horse for any length of time. Getting up and down takes only a few moments. Sitting one lasts much longer. Also these ego breeders for the cow stuff have bred for looks and performance and with looks came small feet. Hardly ever see the papered ones for cow stuff have wide, thick, heavy feet. Yet, on the trail that's whats needed.

And why again are we braggin' on papered bred for cow stuff...?

Some jackass on here even bragged he has a pony that Secratariat is the grand daddy of.. really...? for trail stuff?

Sorry boys and girls you can take all the papered cowy stuff and use it for fire starter. I want a horse bred for the hills. One that can go all day. And by go I mean up and down and around the hills. Carry a load of mountain gear. Not for a few minutes here and there during the day. I want one that has smart feet and not for cuttin' bovine. But smart feet that get placed where and when they need to. When they are traversing, climbing and descending terrain or negotiating H2O in volume.

As afar as boy vs girl. I choose and pick according to the make up and mind set. No matter if it has and inny or an outty.

Ok.. I feel better now.
+1
I always liked Baxter Black's comment when folks are talking about thier pure breds: " Mine's out of Oklahoma by truck".

Each person has partucular needs and if that perosn is looking for 1 horse,they ought to buy one that fits those needs and suits thier fancy.

Running 70 horse or so,it might not matter, but when you are only buying one that you might own or use for 15-20 years,you ought to get one you can get along with.
When I brought my first gelding back I had to board him till I got my place fenced in. It was one of those show barns where the horses cork screw into the ground. They would tell me in a round about way how my horse was no good cause he cant do certain things. I would agree with them and tell them he is not fancy but he will get you in and out of grizzly bear country safe and alive under any conditions.
I much prefer gaited horses for general riding. QH's have their place and I have one left (one died of old age) and they are great for roping and barrels and cows and all that but for the trail give me a Walker or Racking horse anyday. Would like to have a Foxtrotter down the road too.
for 'trail' with no blowdown, those'll work.... And forget spending a long day at a trot.
Lot's a people will tell others what thier horse should do or not do when the truth of the matter is that the horse needs to do what you want it to do,not what someone else thinks it should do.

Gaited horses are nice, and will get you where you want to go, but where I ride mostly, I could not take full advantage of them as Huntsmans says.
I have a litte 13&1/2 hd fox trotter john mule.Probably does not weigh 800lbs and his front end isn't 15" wide.He's pushing 30 yrs old,and rides, packs and drives. I got him as a yearling and the fellow wanted to get rid of him.I didn't want him as I thought he would be too small a frame.So the fellow runs him into my trailer with a few other mules I bought and tells me if he amounys to anything, send him what I think he is worth.I sent him $700 a few years later.

This mule never had a quit in him,hauled my butt over more mountains than I can remember, packed camp, gear, and elk in and out, hauled a milk wagon 9 miles twice a day when he went to the Amish to train for harness. You can't ever tell how they will end up that is for sure. He sure has gotten independant in his old age though.

Here's what he does.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
for 'trail' with no blowdown, those'll work.... And forget spending a long day at a trot.

Agreed.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
If you go see any of these, tell them not to catch them up before you get there.

That's a good piece of advice

Also see if they're able to just saddle them up and go off, some horses no matter how broke they are need to be rode down some.

See them ride the horse, as they're the ones used to riding it. It's good to ride yourself obviously, but don't expect the horse to behave always as good as for the person they're used to.

Check the teeth, study up on what to look at as far as hooves go and how what type of shape their in. A horse is as only good as it's feet.

Pastern angle(s), pigeon toed or splay footed. A lot of horses will naturally get a little pigeon toed as they age, but problem can occur if they're splay footed.

As far as mares vs geldings? I agree and disagree, we implant our mares we use every spring. Sure does keep the attitudes in check.

My trail mares been a Willywood mare, bought her as a weanling. She's eight this year, she's always done anything I've asked her to. She's acted up now and than, but up until this past weekend she's never once bucked.

Working her in the arena and she started in, wouldn't have been a big deal but when I went to pull her head in/up my right rein broke and threw my balance off. Took a quick visit to the dirt after that.

She got a little education after that and hopefully she doesn't do it again. The ground seems to be a lot harder and further away than it used to be.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Saddlesore,
Nice post. That John has earned the right to have three bells and a bob on his tail. I have had good luck with small mules for riding and packing. And small horses too.

I have never owned a mare, but had a great molly mule out of a Missouri Fox Trotter. She had an extra gear at the walk (flat walk) that made the horse people shake their heads. I never got her to gait at the trot, but she was smooth enough to sit for long periods. She would go into heat even though she was sterile. She was distracted but not that hard to control even around studs.

The most important (and most difficult) thing for a an equine owner is selecting the animal. Don't waste your time with animals that have serious flaws.
ppine.I found to get walker mules to gait,you have to work at it.I was succesful at getting them to trot on a hard surface like a hard dirt road, and then hold them in with thebit bit,while still asking them to trot.
Don't know if that was the correct method,but it worked for me.

Here is a big walker, molly mule I had years ago that went almost 16 hds. Way too tall for me.You can see my feet don't even come down to the bottom of her chest. I forget why I had my feet forward, it was 15 yrs ago or more.

[Linked Image]

They do more than just gait ya know. There are very few if any 1/4's that'll keep up.

Our will work, cattle drag a calf, pack a load and pert near take you anywhere poundin' mountains. When the trail allows they'll flat out and literally walk away from the 1/4's and such. All with no spine protruding through the back of your skull.
ppine.I found to get walker mules to gait,you have to work at it.I was succesful at getting them to trot on a hard surface like a hard dirt road, and then hold them in with thebit bit,while still asking them to trot.
Don't know if that was the correct method,but it worked for me.

Here is a big walker, molly mule I had years ago that went almost 16 hds. Way too tall for me.You can see my feet don't even come down to the bottom of her chest. I forget why I had my feet forward, it was 15 yrs ago or more.

[Linked Image]

yep hard surfaces help with the gait. There are ways to gait beside driving them into a shanked bit.
It they are relaxed and supple and naturally gaited they will gait. However, the gait comes from the hind end propulsion. So in order to help them find the hind end... loping them to relax will help the gait come around.

Ans SS.. you are on the money. If you drive em hitched to a stone bolt or anything for that matter for a few months. You'll see the gait come easily.
This walker mule I showed was a ground covering mule. My present halflinger mule,I started off rding her with my buddy who has a walker mule identical to the one I showed. My mule learned to keep up with him and now she is a ground covering mule also. At times,I wish I could slow her down some. I'm getting there as she ages. Found out,I just don't need to get places as fast as I use to.

An aside story. The fellow I bought that big walker mule from was down in NW NM, a fellow named Doyle Hill.He passed away several years ago, but he had a string of walker mares and 1/4 horse mares, probably about 20 each. He bred to his nice jacks and made some dandy mules. I bought several from him as weanlings and yearlings over the years which I raised, trained, and sold.

This walker mule I showed, a guy came and bought her and he was in a full leg cast with a broken leg when he rode her to check her out before buying her.She was that calm. He was a sight swinging that cast over her back. I think the walkers turn out a calmer dispositioned mule than quarter horse mule.At least all the ones I raised were.

Between walkers and 1/4 horse mules, the cowboys in AZ, NV, and NM would buy up Doyle's walkers as fast as they hit the ground as they could cover the ground faster than the 1/4 horse mules.They liked the mules to work cattle with as they could withstand that desert heat better than a horse and you didn't have to change them out at noon or the next day. To buy one off Doyle,you had to give him 1/3 down when he bred the mare,and he guaranteed you would get a mule. So you had to wait a year until it was born and then another 4 months or so until it was weaned to get your mule. You could buy a 1/4 horse mule right off though.

There is a Mexican fellow down near the old ghost town of Riley NM, SW of Belin near the Ladrone mountains that works his ranch entirely with those big tall walker mules.
Okie just mentioned he liked the Little Peppys which I strongly agree with. Peppy San Badger was for a time the cornerstone of the King ranch breeding program. King Ranch, one of the largest cattle ranches in the known universe, produced horses that had a job before it was even bred. Thats a horse bred for purpose. Theres no discounting the comfort of a gaited horse, but we can take the Little Peppys out of the sandbox only catagory. No horse has been bred for work more than them. I can't judge a horse over the internet, but I do know what I like in a horse. In that regard I'll offer an opinion and Little Peppys match what I like in a horse.
Richard.
You mentioned you liked the 1/4 horse with racing in the back ground.Would this be 1/4 horse with some TB in the back or straight 1/4 horses. As I undestand the appendix bred horses have more of the TB back ground,but it takes quite a few miles on them to settle them down.

I'm not really familair with them ,just asking out of idle curiosty to learn more.

I'd appreciate a tutorial on it, maybe in a new thread explaining the differences.

Thanks
Saddlesore, I'm no breeder, I just like race horse breeding mostly because it adds athletic ability, that and it is what the proven QH breeders did. I just try to learn from their success. I'm not cutting any new ground, I haven't the brains or the money; and certinly not the money to be brainless. Beyond a little bragging I have no real need for that kind of speed.
Once a horse in the regular QH registry, they're QHs along with their get if bred to another QH; but yes they usually have plenty of TB breeding in them. My experience with horses off the track is about all they know how to do is run, maybe turn left a little. I didn't get to ride but one, but my friend rode a bunch of Miss N Cash colts. Miss n Cash was by Dash for Cash. He said they were all pretty much good minded. I've only bred a few horses compared to real or big time breeders. I've also never had the funds to breed to the really big time race horses, they were well out of my league. But I look for it in a horse. I like them better already if they have some. I feel it gives them a little more substanse too. Like said elsewhere, I'm one of those guys that likes a horse about 15 -15.1 hands, east on - easy off. Another thing about QH breeders are a funny group. A lot of them breed for conformation. I've always held the opinion that if you breed for athlitic ability the conformation will come, and I like an athletic horse. Thats pretty much my involvement with race horse.
Originally Posted by Cocadori
This isn't directed at anyone but a compilation of comments out of the threads regarding sedonamare's horse stuff. Keep in mind she's looking for a trail horse.

I still don't see why anyone here is talking performance or cow horses. Funny how it typically morphs into I have "X", breeding or I look for "y" breeding. For a trail horse? Guys are so eager to talk how well breed their horse is for "work" yet how many make a living off the back of their pony? How many take that pony an go win money off of it?

I also hear talk of shorter the better .. don't like tall stuff...I gotta wonder.
OK so look at the papered stuff everyone mentioning.. usually 15HH give or take a bit north or south. Ok great but last I checked they are bred thick and wide. Yet no one mentions how uncomfortable it is to ride a wide horse for any length of time. Getting up and down takes only a few moments. Sitting one lasts much longer. Also these ego breeders for the cow stuff have bred for looks and performance and with looks came small feet. Hardly ever see the papered ones for cow stuff have wide, thick, heavy feet. Yet, on the trail that's whats needed.

And why again are we braggin' on papered bred for cow stuff...?

Some jackass on here even bragged he has a pony that Secratariat is the grand daddy of.. really...? for trail stuff?

Sorry boys and girls you can take all the papered cowy stuff and use it for fire starter. I want a horse bred for the hills. One that can go all day. And by go I mean up and down and around the hills. Carry a load of mountain gear. Not for a few minutes here and there during the day. I want one that has smart feet and not for cuttin' bovine. But smart feet that get placed where and when they need to. When they are traversing, climbing and descending terrain or negotiating H2O in volume.

As afar as boy vs girl. I choose and pick according to the make up and mind set. No matter if it has and inny or an outty.

Ok.. I feel better now.

It didn't morph into cow horses as one of the horses she wanted an opinion about just happened to be cow bred. Good cow bred stock like to see new country too... grin

Glad your feeling better!
Originally Posted by okie
Good cow bred stock like to see new country too... grin

At least sometimes.

A friend of ours had a pretty high dollar roping horse (the horse is now deceased), at least fairly high-dollar for these here parts, that was well bred, and well trained as a roper.

A local horsewoman started organizing an annual trail ride as a benefit for an organization here. This gal friend of ours registered herself and her horse for the ride. Always heard this and that, what a wunnaful horse he was and how he could do anything. She made a little jingle on him, loaned him to folks that either had no horse or were just visiting, to ride in our local rodeo series. Made a few coins that way too.

Well. These rides are judged at crossings, hazards, and obstacles. This one ride started out and within 1/4 mile of the start, there was easily 100 yds of belly-deep water and mud. A lot of folks had fun blasting through that spot spraying water all over. There were many other spots just like that throughout the ride. At the lunch break, where food was provided and awards given for the ride, a few of us wondered where Nancy* was.

Come to find out that Nancy and the wonder horse never even attempted the very first muddy bog - she was ascared and the horse was too. They turned around, loaded and beat feet back to town!

By the by, this is what was at stake. wink I demanded a recount, but to no avail.

On a 28 yo mare to boot!
[Linked Image]

At least sometimes.

A friend of ours had a pretty high dollar roping horse (the horse is now deceased), at least fairly high-dollar for these here parts, that was well bred, and well trained as a roper.

A local horsewoman started organizing an annual trail ride as a benefit for an organization here. This gal friend of ours registered herself and her horse for the ride. Always heard this and that, what a wunnaful horse he was and how he could do anything. She made a little jingle on him, loaned him to folks that either had no horse or were just visiting, to ride in our local rodeo series. Made a few coins that way too.

Well. These rides are judged at crossings, hazards, and obstacles. This one ride started out and within 1/4 mile of the start, there was easily 100 yds of belly-deep water and mud. A lot of folks had fun blasting through that spot spraying water all over. There were many other spots just like that throughout the ride. At the lunch break, where food was provided and awards given for the ride, a few of us wondered where Nancy* was.

Come to find out that Nancy and the wonder horse never even attempted the very first muddy bog - she was ascared and the horse was too. They turned around, loaded and beat feet back to town!

By the by, this is what was at stake. wink I demanded a recount, but to no avail.

On a 28 yo mare to boot!
[Linked Image]

Congratulations on the win.
Which one was the senior? wink
That was due to my "Jack Benny" status! wink and thanks.

My point was that I think training is more important than pedigree. Horses that only see the inside of the arena fence are oftenill prepared for any other job.

Good old Ruby The Wonder Horse was a registered QH, but she was exposed to a lot of things and did most everything well.

Ruby packed, led pack strings, trail rode, taught my daughter to ride, ran barrels and poles, did games, and so on. Every time I ride a horse, I miss her.
Hope you find a replacement for Ruby...
Me too, Dan. 'specially since Mac was to be my mount before the boy kid "stole" him! smile

At least sometimes.

On a 28 yo mare to boot!
[Linked Image]

That is very true and I've seen much the same thing happen myself. They got to get out in the countryside with 'em to make a trail horse. I've got two in here now that will get water lessons pretty quick!
Just exposure. My horses are going to go where I tell them to go. The rider has a lot to do with it too. If that rider didn't even try to ride across the water they had their mind made up without even trying; a hhorse is going to know that. I've had horses that didn't like new experiences, but we always got it done. He just had to di it anyway, like it or not.
I've been told by some folks down in America about how their kid or wife has a dressage horse, a 3-day horse, a jumper, etc.

I say hell, I got one all wrapped up in one! They have to, especially here because of the cost to keep.

At $8 - $8.50 per bale, in-the-field, the critter better be versatile. wink

At $8 - $8.50 per bale, in-the-field, the critter better be versatile. wink

Ouch! Remind me not to bring any horses if I ever move to Alaska eek . A local farmer I know hooked me up with some nice orchard grass/alfalfa blend for $150 a ton, it came to $2.60 a bale. Actually we are going to cut here in another month so he is making room in his barn.
$150 divided by $2.60 is 57 bales. 2000 divided by 57 is 35 pounds per bale. tiny bastids.....
Wow.. we bale the small ones at 100#'s large at 1700#'s
In the Los Angeles area last summer some people were paying $18 for 80-pound small squares. That's $450 a ton.
BIL grows grass horse hay on his 10 acre pasture. Good clean stuff and people call him and say, "Hold me a ton on your next crop." Pay and I will. "Sorry, but I don't have the money right now." Winter and they are whining and buying what few bales he has left at bale price. WTF? Horses cost $$ between vets and farriers most a lot of folks don't have a clue. If you think it costs to take Buffy (dog/cat) to a vet wait until you have have one make a house call for large animal. Sorry for the rant, but people just do not think!
$150 divided by $2.60 is 57 bales. 2000 divided by 57 is 35 pounds per bale. tiny bastids.....

You have to bale light so the women and small girls can handle them. Half the girls in some of these barns don't weigh 100 pounds. I have wheel and skid loaders with forks so I round bale my place.
Originally Posted by mtrancher
In the Los Angeles area last summer some people were paying $18 for 80-pound small squares. That's $450 a ton.

I would bet that hay was coming in from New Mexico. Farms in Ocala Florida form a co op and have hay from South Dakota and New Mexico shipped in by rail.
Not sure. I'll have to double-check with my sister. She lives in Topanga Canyon and has horses. I believe that's the price she told me. The drought in the southwest is part of this, of course. When I went out of the breeding business a few years ago my mares went to Sealy, Texas. I stay in touch with those folks. Last year they purchased alfalfa hay from Minnesota. Because of the oil boom north of me trucks are hauling pipestem this way and returning south with big rounds.
Small bales 55-60 lbs were going for $15 this winter here in Colo Springs. Highest I saw 3x3x8's was $169.
Usually I can get a semi of 3x3x8's ( 800 lbs) for about $85/ bale with 55 or so on the truck delivered to me.That is about the eqivalent of about 12 small bales. or about $7/ small bale.
Originally Posted by SedonaMare
Huntsman, I'd usually agree with you absolutely on that, but a few of the mares I've helped start these last four months of my apprenticeship have really changed my mind. Plus, the little mare I rescued and broke in for my little sister three years ago is the sweetest tempered equine I've ever known:
[Linked Image]

That's me on my little sister's mare, Eclipse. Trust us, we named her that well before we knew there'd be a stupid book about a vampire with "Eclipse" in the title.
a mare is mare, period
Originally Posted by Pat85

You have to bale light so the women and small girls can handle them. Half the girls in some of these barns don't weigh 100 pounds. I have wheel and skid loaders with forks so I round bale my place.

Interesting info. I have been working with a freelance journalist from Boston on an article she is doing on "The Feminization of the Horse Industry." What caught her attention, besides the reduced weight of sacked feed, was the term "Husband Horses." Out here we have "kid's horse" and "woman's horse" but evidently back east they have "husband horse" to describe a horse that is really, really safe and gentle.
Originally Posted by mtrancher
Out here we have "kid's horse" and "woman's horse" but evidently back east they have "husband horse" to describe a horse that is really, really safe and gentle.

I only ever heard that term thrown around at those english barns. You don't hear that term in New Holland Pa. Amish country or any place where a horse is a tool of the trade.
Since i raise my horses i ride whatever comes out and good ones are good no matter the sex. I will readily admit though that running them together helps. A bunch of old geldings don't seem to let a mare act up as bad. When horses run in a herd they don't seem to aquire the idiosyncracies that those stalled or run in small pens do. You can sure tell when one is horsing but it;s their day to work or go to a roping thats just what we do. I don't pay any attention to them.

Fred
The mare i'm roping on now horses so strong she has a white discharge all over both hind legs but i never see any difference in her performance or attitude.
Fred
Every mare is different.Some show a lot,some act up, and some you never know.I prefer not to deal with it if possible.
I used to run a saddle mare with the geldings and never had any problems, then I got a new neighbor across the fence and we had to agree on a "no mare" policy. Nothing has worked well since, so no more saddle mares.
I get my bales off the wagon from my neighbor/hay supplier. $3 a bale and they run about 40-45 pounds.

Round bales I have to drive to get. They run about 400 pounds and are $30 stored indoors.

I'm sure prices will go up this year.
Theres no better way to cripple your good gelding than leaving them out with mares. When boys play, they rear. When girls "play", they kick. Bad combination.

Hay here has been over $300/ton for some time.
You fellers are tempting me to haul a giant trailer down to America for hay! smile
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/grd/3001587747.html

HAY-HAY-HAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-05-07, 11:46AM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orchard Mix - $330
3 sring bales 105-110pds
19 bales per ton
768-5036 V&V Hay

whoever thought you could get rich watching the grass grow?
Here is the recent price on hay in L.A. according to my sister:
50-lb. Timothy bale is $18.50 per bale plus 8.75% sales tax. Delivery is extra.
Alfalfa is $17.95 per bale plus tax and delivery.
Straw is $14 a bale plus tax and delivery.
Husband horse ad:http://www.localhorse.com/Ads/Georgia/Horses-for-Sale/Draft/Handsome-Husband-Horse-or-Trail-Buddy-Buchanan-GA-17533.htm

Also, my sister was told recently to expect hay to go to $25 for a 50-lb bale by September.
Shows the trend of the horse industry. Seems to be more female dominated(especially in the North East) Marketing horses as husband safe. So hubby can ride with you. Dead broke plug that hubby wont get hurt on.
Originally Posted by Robster
Dead broke plug that hubby wont get hurt on.

Can't let hubby get hurt, he has to go to work to pay for these things.
Looks like we need to start selling some of our hay!
This $4.25 a gallon fuel isn't helping the situation much either. Farmers rather sell it off the field or out of the barn at a below market price than load it up and take it to a hay auction where the closest one is 60 miles from here.
Hey all! Thanks so much for the interest and advice. Sadly, my horse search has come to an indefinite hiatus. I have not been able to visit with you all lately as my family has suffered a bit of an upheaval. My mother was let go from her position at work, and as such my monetary priorities have shifted back towards helping my family. Although I already pay rent and a portion of our utilities, I just don't think it's the right time to add another proverbial mouth to feed, much as I'm dying to. Just going to have to keep sharing the mare with my little sister. It works out well, though--every time she rides, I walk. Keeps me in fighting trim smile

If I can get off work, I'm going to accompany my trainer at the Heber Valley Horse Sale next weekend, to give some of the horses I helped work a nice send-off.

http://www.hebervalleyhorsesales.com/

This big black gelding, "Lefty," is my personal favorite. Edited to add that his registered name is "Ad Cool Moon."

[Linked Image]
Smoothest jog and lope I've ridden in a long time. Good looking, and good minded. If any of you are looking for a young horse with potential as a super fancy 4-H or trail horse, he's the ticket. I put the 5th through 12th rides on him, and he never gave me a lick of trouble. At four years old, he's about 15.3 and 1200 pounds. Started right! He will have about 40 rides by the time of the sale. My trainer offered him to me for 1500 six weeks ago, but I was concerned about finishing such a gorgeous animal to be my stalwart mountain partner and not some sort of Western Pleasure star. Considering recent events, I'm glad I didn't take him. Re-selling him would have brought on too much heartbreak, he's just so nice.
Any of you all going to be there?
And in case you're comparing this latest photo to the other, I really did cut off all that hair! My other passion is stage-acting, and I got cast in a role that required a pixie-cut. I donated my locks, and am working on growing it all back smile
Good luck to you, but don't be a stranger.
Sedona,
Great grace to you and your family. As SS said, don't be a stranger. And I like the haircut.

john
© 24hourcampfire