Home
Posted By: roundoak Horse panniers - 02/05/19
While hunting with my cousins in Montana last fall we decided to outfit one of the ranch horses with a pack saddle and panniers. An agreement was made that they obtain a pack saddle and I would get the panniers.

They upheld their end of the bargain.
[Linked Image]

Help me out here with your recommendations.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Horse panniers - 02/05/19
utah style for meat.....

[Linked Image]
https://www.davistent.com/product/leather-end-pannier/
Posted By: roundoak Re: Horse panniers - 02/05/19
Do you use a insert of some sort to help keep it clean?
nope. Mine are Cordura instead of canvas and they hose out easier. That said, bloodstains don't affect performance, either way.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Horse panniers - 02/05/19
We like the ralide. A lot of our trails are very tight and brush and the ralide slides off the trees better. They aren't as easy to pack meat in, but that's a tradeoff we accept and make due.

My very first set were corduda with poly inserts. All that's left of them is the cordura bags.

The new bear resistant ralide are quite a bit heavier. I don't like them.
Posted By: byron Re: Horse panniers - 02/05/19
Try to find a outfit like my old Morgan panniers. Has cordura (?) panniers with hard inserts. Makes for a pretty versitile system.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Horse panniers - 02/05/19
I still use the older canvas panniers. After bagging the meat,I put it in a garbage bag before hauling it back to camp.Then take it out to hang it.
No blood doesn't affect performance,but it sure gets gamey smelling over time.
The Utah bags are bigger in volume,but for my smaller mules they hang down to far and put too much pressure on the rib cage. I'm kinda fussy and like to keep the packs up high so more weight is distributed along the top of the thorax.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Horse panniers - 02/05/19
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, one more question. Is there a specific pack that can be placed on top of the panniers?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Horse panniers - 02/05/19
Originally Posted by roundoak
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, one more question. Is there a specific pack that can be placed on top of the panniers?

There are commercially available top packs. About any tack store that carries packing equipment will carry them. Some you tie them down with a diamond or other hitch.Some have straps and buckles that you secure them with.

These folks carry a No Knot system. https://www.outfitterssupply.com/horse-packing-equipment.asp
Posted By: ironbender Re: Horse panniers - 02/05/19
I really lik the “H” style top packs. They are very stable.

And work perfectly with a sawbuck.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Horse panniers - 02/06/19
Keep your eye on Craigslist. They aren't common but they do show up. If you use searchtempest.com, they use craigslist to search a bunch of cities at once.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Horse panniers - 02/06/19
Just what works for us here. H pack.

[Linked Image]

Square top packs don't balance as well, nor cinch down as securely.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Horse panniers - 02/06/19
I prefer to load light loads on top, loose.Usually on top of loaded soft panniers and then lock it all down with a double diamond.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Horse panniers - 02/07/19
Absolutely agree vince. Our top packs are mostly sleeping bags, pad, and clothes.

General rule is the higher it's packed, the lighter it should be.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Horse panniers - 02/07/19
I use a sewed together sawbuck double cinch, and a ring on top. Instead of a diamond I use 4 motorcycle tie downs to attach and snug it down. The tie downs can be used to hang the quarters from trees after the pack.
I use a sewed together sawbuck double cinch, and a ring on top. Instead of a diamond I use 4 motorcycle tie downs to attach and snug it down. The tie downs can be used to hang the quarters from trees after the pack.
A cordura saddle pannier like pictured in my avatar can also fit over a saw buck. Then you can use it both ways. There ia another style that fits bucks even better. But my I pad will not condense pics enough to post.

Remember to cool meat and give access to air. Be very careful of plastic, not to be awkward as saddle sore is very wise and a great asset to this forum. And I really respect his insight.

But garbage bag plastic is not tested to be food safe, and a garden hose will was out the cordura after the hunt. IMO.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Horse panniers - 02/07/19
Angus.I never put meat in the garbage bag unless it is already in a game bag and don't use the cheese cloth type. Sometimes I have to pack it out right away because of bears. It is still warm,but typically is not in the bags more than an hour -an hour and half . If the meat has hung overnight and pretty much bled out, then I don't use the garbage bags. Wish I had cordura bags instead of canvas.

I ran into guy from TN one year. He had put warm meat in garbage bag right after quartering and then put the bags under a tree for shade . Then he returned the next morning to pack it out.The smell was horrendous

That is a good idea about the double cincha.Not being a motorcycle rider, what is the tie down? Is it just a ratchet strap?

Here is a tip.Instead of black pepper or some of those sprays, use chili powder sprinkled on the quarters to keep flies away. It washes off and leave no taste on the meat
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Horse panniers - 02/08/19
Nope not the ratchet the gripper type. Wish I could post photos, it works slicker than calf slobber!
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Horse panniers - 02/09/19
http://www.outfitterspackstation.com/utahpanniers1.html

These are the ones I like for a general style. Pack just about anything.

The outfitter I guide for has a bunch of this mesh style.

http://www.buckstitchcanvas.com/pac..._34&zenid=s0r445ro7i8si8lfojlv163tq4

And they are pretty nice for packing a bunch of meat.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Horse panniers - 02/10/19
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I forwarded information to my relatives in Montana and we will make a decision this week on what panniers will serve our needs.
© 24hourcampfire