Home
Our son is shopping for a set of tires for his Honda. Any brands to avoid, or brands recommended?
We have Maxxis Bighorns on ours and they’ve been great on the trail and daily doing chores. Would buy them again.
I'm running these Sedona Ripsaws. We have lots of sharp rocks and I wanted big heavy blocks for treads to help prevent cuts. So far they've been great for that. I haven't had them in deep snow to know how they work there.

[Linked Image]
Maxxis, ITP, Kenda, and Titan are all brands that I have used and trust. What kind of riding does your son partake in, this will point us in the right direction for recommendations. I recently swapped my Mudlie XTR's out for a set of Maxxis Mud Bugs and could not be happier with their performance.

[Linked Image]
I've had a couple sets of Greenball Dirt Devils. No complaints.

How aggressive ?

Bias or radial ?

two sources here.......GBC are great....

https://www.pureoffroad.com/gbc_atv_tires.htm

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/tires
Originally Posted by tikkanut

How aggressive ?

Bias or radial ?

two sources here.......GBC are great....

https://www.pureoffroad.com/gbc_atv_tires.htm

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/tires
If you're buying online, Rocky Mtn ATV is great. I've ordered from them several times and each time they shipped within 24 hrs, usually same day if you order before noon. I've never had a need to try their customer svc but I've heard it's good.
I put a set of Kenda Bearclaws on my Foreman last summer and have been very happy with them. Did great during hunting season and has done all the chores around home since.
The mines here run Swamp foxes. Very durable, loads of traction, not ideal for hard pack roads at high speeds
Thanks folks, our son read the comments here, and looked other places. He ordered the IPA tires, and mounted them last night. [Linked Image][Linked Image]

depending on trail conditions of course......

be sure to carry plug kit & compressor......

had those on a Rhino years back....... cry

run these Chicanes DOT rated now...28-10x14

[Linked Image]
Just put a new set of tires on my Yamaha Kodiak 450 and after a lot of research I chose Maxxis Bighorns. The 6-ply sidewall and the reviews that indicated they rode well on hard pack trails/2-track roads, plus having acceptable performance in mud made my decision.
Originally Posted by tmax264
I put a set of Kenda Bearclaws on my Foreman last summer and have been very happy with them. Did great during hunting season and has done all the chores around home since.

Ditto.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thanks folks, our son read the comments here, and looked other places. He ordered the IPA tires, and mounted them last night. [Linked Image][Linked Image]

those are ITP tires- I suppose you maybe have a few too many IPAs before typing this!! wink
This place started out as a rough crowd, and it ain't getting any better. laugh[Linked Image]

Same that I put on my Honda Foreman. They're great as far as I'm concerned.
Do you guys just bring your tires and rims into the local tire shop and have them switched out after you get the new ones?
That's what I did. Swapping them yourself isn't as much fun as it sounds if you don't have the equipment.
I took them in. I've got a Northern Tool manual machine and it does regular tires okay but those atv tires that had been seated for 15 years were a real biotch to try and break the beads.
Thanks!
I have ITP mudlites on my Rhino. Great tire in the rocks.
I've done my own tire swap before but it can be a real pia. Pull the valve stem out, set the tire/rim in front of your truck, lining it up so the drivers side front tire runs over the tire, forcing all the air out and it will pop the bead but sometimes it can take a couple of attempts at it. Now I just take them to the local tire shop and pay them $15 bucks a shot.
Originally Posted by tzone

Same that I put on my Honda Foreman. They're great as far as I'm concerned.

Same here,, reasonable too!
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Maxxis, ITP, Kenda, and Titan are all brands that I have used and trust. What kind of riding does your son partake in, this will point us in the right direction for recommendations. I recently swapped my Mudlie XTR's out for a set of Maxxis Mud Bugs and could not be happier with their performance.

[Linked Image]

These tires work well for mud. I rode in a lot of that in Alaska. Mostly bought ITP. But any of these are good for mud.

I know the OP's son made his choice, but for anybody else that might be looking, ITP TerraCross are a great all round tire. Definitely worth a hard look.
RP Talon 12-Ply Run Flat DOT Approved ATV / UTV Tires

RP Talon 12 ply run flat Tires

Review this item
Add to Wish List
review 0 Review(s)

Part Number:RP-3200-06
Questions about this item? Be the first to ask here.
Starting At$179.95
Choose Options
Size
25x8-12 25x10-12 [+$15.00] 26x9-12 [+$25.00] 26x11-12 [+$50.00]

I run Carlyle or ITP on my 4 Wheeler and S X S, because they are made in USA.

However , I really like the above mentioned RP Talon - DOT - 12 ply- run flat for mixed use highway and trail. But, they are %(<#!)&^ chinese. They ain't cheap

and I can't find a USA equivalent.

I've run Swamp Foxes for years here in Utah. They've been great in mud, snow, loose dirt and gravel. I haven't tried them in soft sand.
It depends on where you like to ride. Where we go, rocks are the problem. We seldom get mud. I've been running these Sedona Ripsaws for a couple years and love them for rocks. The rubber blocks are close together to keep sharp rocks from getting through. There's also a lot of rubber to wear out.

[Linked Image from i.b5z.net]
I have GBC grim reapers on mine. 8 ply.
We have had good luck with the Kenda Bear Claws on several ATV's
Maxis Bighorns, not Bighorn II. They are a little more money but well worth it for the 6 ply construction and the smooth ride on hard packed trails.
Kendas
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Maxis Bighorns, not Bighorn II. They are a little more money but well worth it for the 6 ply construction and the smooth ride on hard packed trails.

Can you elaborate on “not Bighorn II” for us? You don’t like them (why?) or you just like the original better?
Originally Posted by cisco1

RP Talon 12 ply run flat Tires

Review this item
Add to Wish List
review 0 Review(s)

Part Number:RP-3200-06
Questions about this item? Be the first to ask here.
Starting At$179.95
Choose Options
Size
25x8-12 25x10-12 [+$15.00] 26x9-12 [+$25.00] 26x11-12 [+$50.00]

I run Carlyle or ITP on my 4 Wheeler and S X S, because they are made in USA.

However , I really like the above mentioned RP Talon - DOT - 12 ply- run flat for mixed use highway and trail. But, they are %(<#!)&^ chinese. They ain't cheap

and I can't find a USA equivalent.

These tires are tough and work well on hard terrain like the Maxxis Ceros or AMS Radial Pro. Be aware of the extra tire weight, a blown belt on a remote hunt is no fun to replace.

next set for my Kawi SxS will prob be the BFG's

28-10x14

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires/atv-utv-tires/mud-terrain/mud-terrain-t-a-km3-utv.html
© 24hourcampfire