Home
Posted By: JD45 Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/24/20
I worked for a top gunshop around 1996. I remember all the great sales and deals we had on Browning A-bolts. I was younger and thought I was Jack O'Connor and laughed at all of the novices and newbies that bought them.

Years later I realized how good they were. The barrels were floated, triggers not bad, decent synthetic stocks, and really nice walnut ones.

But mainly they would freakin shoot. Everybody we sold to bragged on them it seems. I saw groups shot with a 7mm Rem.Mag. that I couldn't believe.

I wish I had a stainless synthetic hunter model, and a Walnut Medallion. Very cool rifles, and a deal back then.
Posted By: Abolt2 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/24/20
I hear what your saying, I want a Medallion in 7mm-08 myself.
I own a few (22 lr, 22-250, 223 WSSM, 270 WSM and 325 WSM) and they’ve been fantastic. The 223 WSSM and 270 WSM are two of the most accurate rifles I own.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/24/20
If you knew how many we sold in a year it would surprise you. They're lots of them out there. You never see one on here. That says something.
Were those A-bolts built in Japan by Miroku?

How would the current line of X-bolts stack up against those A-bolts?
Safe to say, I think, that Browning sells good stuff; a good bit of it stuff they make themselves. I sometimes don't care for the metro-sexual styling of some of the newer stuff, but that's just a reflection of my "vintage". I have three rifles made by Miroku for Browning, two Low Walls and most recently a 92. The quality is as good as any I've seen, and better than most. I still prefer the Belgian-production versions of A5 shotguns and SA-22 rifles, but it's mostly a matter of tradition and also the color of the French walnut they wear. I've also seen several references in print about the high quality of Miroku barrels. Have to agree with that, based on my small sample.
Posted By: ckat Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/24/20
I don’t currently have an A-Bolt, but I wouldn’t hesitate to have another. The one I had was stupid accurate and very well made - the twist is the only reason I don’t still have it.

Interesting about the OP’s experience on sales. Our LGS used to push and sell lots of A-Bolts in the 90s and early 2000s - though they were never on sale, rather full MSRP; which was much higher than other comparable models at the time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: rj308 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/24/20
I have a stainless A-Bolt II in 6.5 SE. I have repeatedly shot very small groups with it and my 2 X-Bolts in 223 and 30-06. Word has it that Miroku hand chambers the A-Bolt II's and the X-Bolts. I don't doubt it. The insides look mighty fine looking thru the Teslong. RJ
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/24/20

Mine is accurate also.
(257 AI)
Just wish they had a better trigger system.

Back when I started moose hunting I used a Browning BBR in 300 Win Mag. Be nice if I still had it, but I digress! A-Bolts, A-Bolt II's, X-Bolts have all come and gone, not because I didn't like them, just how I am. A small core of guns will never leave, others get moved to try something else. Can't afford them all at one time!
Posted By: ckat Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/24/20
Originally Posted by rj308
I have a stainless A-Bolt II in 6.5 SE. I have repeatedly shot very small groups with it and my 2 X-Bolts in 223 and 30-06. Word has it that Miroku hand chambers the A-Bolt II's and the X-Bolts. I don't doubt it. The insides look mighty fine looking thru the Teslong. RJ

Rare bird... nice!
Posted By: rj308 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/24/20
ckat, It is a White Gold Medalion, one of 50 chambered for the Swede. I still have the beautiful fancy walnut stock that it came with. As soon as a got the rifle I put it in a McMillan Sako Classic Hunters Edge stock. It's a fine hunting rifle. I mostly hunt Roe deer over here in Romania with it. RJ
Way over-complicated triggers prone to failure in rough going. I have seen more in-field failures with them than all other makes and models combined. And that involves far fewer a-borts... several failures were with posters from here. Most common failure has been corrosion in the wire link in the trigger. It seizes and rifle will not shoot.

No issues with Browning, own and use quite a few of their other guns, even own an A-bort in 375 H&H.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/25/20
Hmm I didn't know that.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Way over-complicated triggers prone to failure in rough going. I have seen more in-field failures with them than all other makes and models combined. And that involves far fewer a-borts... several failures were with posters from here. Most common failure has been corrosion in the wire link in the trigger. It seizes and rifle will not shoot.

No issues with Browning, own and use quite a few of their other guns, even own an A-bort in 375 H&H.

Have never seen the trigger issues you describe all the A-Bolts I have worked on have had better than most triggers. I have seen many of the original A-Bolts with button rifled barrels that look as good as a custom barrel, on the other side I have seen some A-Bolt II barrels that were horrific. very inconsistent.

When you speak of A-Bort you must mean the AB3..............WOW what a POS !!!!!!! Browning really missed the boat with this one, has nothing in common with an A-Bolt or A-Bolt II except the Tupperware stock
Posted By: rj308 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/25/20
I can see the A-Bolt bashers have found this thread. Go on ahead. Us owners/users of A-Bolts know better, that they are absolutely fine rifles. RJ
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/25/20
Sure did enjoy hunting the Whitetails with a Micro Medalion A-Bolt in .284. That little thing was a bit sassy shooting max load 140 Game Kings. Longest shot was 430+.
Currently have 257 Robt AI A-Bolt that clover leafs 100gr NAB at 150yds.
Jim
I’ve had my Brother in laws A Bolt SS .270 he got as a teenager (guess early 90’s) for several years. It’s killed some deer and I really like the weight, short bolt lift etc but damn if I can shoot good groups with it plus the recoil is sharp! Still it’s a cool rifle and appreciate being able to use it past few years. I fixed a failed magazine spring and upgraded to a Leupold VXIII a few years ago. Makes a nice climbing or walking gun. He hasn’t been screaming to get it back but it will be a pass down to his boys I’m sure.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/26/20
Pardon me for interrupting, but did you just say that recoil from a .270 Win. is sharp?
Originally Posted by JD45
Pardon me for interrupting, but did you just say that recoil from a .270 Win. is sharp?

Sure did. And while I’m relatively inexperienced compared to many I’ve had the opportunity to shoot plenty of larger caliber guns that handle recoil better than it. I think it just doesn’t fit me well but others complain about it too including the actual owner of the rifle who decided he enjoys his dads old Browning A Bolt .270 with the BOSS. That thing is a laser!
Posted By: ADNA Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/26/20
I bought my .338 Winchester mag A-bolt in 1988. I have taken it to Africa 4 times and have taken many deer, elk, moose and other animals with it. It was only gun I used for many years. It is semi retired now. I have many other rifles of several brands, but my A-bolt is the one rifle I would never get rid of.
I have an A bolt in 30-06. I like the rifle but never warmed up to the Boss. Never messed with trying to rebarrel it without the boss. I figure it would be better off to just buy another abolt without one if I really wanted one.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/26/20
in the late 80's when i finally had a job that paid decent, first thing i wanted was a good squirrel gun. my budget range was either a 77/22 or the A bolt. i chose the ruger because the browning just looked too disco-era for me. thick, shiny finish, cheesy gold trigger, etc. if they had one that was less gawdy then maybe i would now have a safe full of A bolts instead of 77's.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/27/20
Originally Posted by chefcreed
I think it just doesn’t fit me well

That is probably it, though they are also a very light rifle, which makes a difference.

FWIW though I have one in .30/06, and I find it very easy to get on with - kicks a lot less than another .30/06 I own, despite that other rifle being heavier. About the most accurate rifle I own too, which is nice, and I've killed a truckload of deer, pigs, goats and other stuff with it. .
Posted By: hanco Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/27/20
Both son in laws have them, both 7 mags, both shoot really well
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/27/20
Back in the very early 90s, "anybody who wanted to act like somebody" in our neck of the hunting woods in FL had to have a Stainless Stalker ABolt. 270 and 7mm Rem Mags were very popular. I finally got a composite stalker (black) in 270 and it shot very well. That gun went through a lot, I took quite a bit of game with it, but had a few notable mishaps that I blamed on it. All were my fault but after losing a beast of a low fence, south Texas monster, I sold the gun.

I ended up buying a matching composite stalker in 22-250 with BOSS as a sister gun for practice/hogs/truck gun and it served me very well over the years. I still have it, after rebarrelling with a Kreiger.

I would buy another Browning bolt, as they are put together very well and shoot.
Originally Posted by ADNA
I bought my .338 Winchester mag A-bolt in 1988. I have taken it to Africa 4 times and have taken many deer, elk, moose and other animals with it. It was only gun I used for many years. It is semi retired now. I have many other rifles of several brands, but my A-bolt is the one rifle I would never get rid of.

Same here. My A-bolt II in 7mm-08 is by far the best “out of the box” shooter I own, and it will be the last rifle I own when the time comes to sell the herd.
Love my stainless 260 A-Bolt.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/28/20

And not only corrosion, but moisture/condensation freeze up can shut the whole dance down...and has.
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
I own a few (22 lr, 22-250, 223 WSSM, 270 WSM and 325 WSM) and they’ve been fantastic. The 223 WSSM and 270 WSM are two of the most accurate rifles I own.

What sort of accuracy do you get out of those? I've got an X-bolt stainless stalker in 325WSM that does 0.75MOA.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/28/20
I've been shooting A-Bolts since 1988 (7mm RM Composite) and it shot very good, took my first elk with that rifle. My father has a SS 270 that he has taken elk, mule deer and white tails with, shoots great. I now have his Composite Stalker BOSS in 7mm RM, it will shoot with any custom rifle I have. Never had or saw a trigger failure. In 1988, we rafted down the Deschutes River across from the Warm Springs Indian Reservation, my rifle got soaked during the trip and no one bought oil (I flew in from the east coast), I wiped the rifle off with a paper towel and went hunting.

Interior Oregon, although wet, doesnt take the same toll on metal as does areas with heavy salt spray, which happens quick.

The A-Bolts are certainly accurate, and if you are not in the extremes, they will get the job done.

I'll run mine in fair weather, Whitetails, pronghorn, woodchucks, etc.
But for times when I have to trust my rifle, I'll be running my Model 70's.
Posted By: Vinootz Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/28/20
A few of you mates from down under like the 325wsm. Some Kiwis from New Zealand too. It’s a great cartridge. I got an ABolt titanium in the 325. Can’t go wrong with a powerful 8mm. It’s a good open country cartridge in a nice rifle you got there. A few of us yanks and Canucks up north like them too. I got a Kimber in 325 also. They are both under an inch most of the time.

Had one of the early Micro Medallions in 284 Winchester.🙂
Originally Posted by Vinootz
A few of you mates from down under like the 325wsm. Some Kiwis from New Zealand too. It’s a great cartridge. I got an ABolt titanium in the 325. Can’t go wrong with a powerful 8mm. It’s a good open country cartridge in a nice rifle you got there. A few of us yanks and Canucks up north like them too. I got a Kimber in 325 also. They are both under an inch most of the time.

8mm isn't all that popular a calibre down here, but I've got a couple of ex-mil Mausers so have stock of projectiles. I've always wanted an 8mmRM but never got around to buying one, and now they are like hen's teeth here. The 325WSM is the next best thing, and I wasn't expecting the skinny barrel Browning to shoot that well.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/30/20
You mean you can own a rifle down there ? Fill us in on your guns laws please. I only know what I hear on the fake news.
Have LH 280 Abolt stainless stalker and 25 and 243 WSSM in just stalker models and they all just straight up shoot out of the box.
Posted By: rj308 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by 358wsm

And not only corrosion, but moisture/condensation freeze up can shut the whole dance down...and has.

Yea, about as much as it can any other trigger, including God's trigger (Winchester M70 before M.O.A.)
Lord have mercy, let me grab that flame suit! RJ
You mean you can own a rifle down there ? Fill us in on your guns laws please. I only know what I hear on the fake news.

Yes. The firearms/weapons laws are state controlled and each state is a bit different. I live in QLD (Queensland) and a summary of the licence types are here:

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-licensing/what-are-weapons-categories

Firearms licence in QLD is called a weapons licence, but you are not allowed to use them as weapons (except....). A committee obviously came up with the naming because it's inappropriate, nonsensical and contradictory meaning.

The net result for me is:

I have a bolt action 22 on a Category A licence that I can use on a range or out hunting. I also have an under-lever 0.177 air rifle on this licence.

! have a 9mm semi-auto pistol on a category H licence that I can only use at a target range and have to provide evidence of having used it in 6 events every year.

I have several bolt action rifles (308, 8x57, 30/06, 325WSM, 375H&H, 458WM) and a 500NE double rifle. All these are on a Category B licence and I can use on a range or out hunting.

A genuine reason is needed when I applied to purchase each firearm, and that being target shooting and hunting.

Note that the licence applies to the person, but the firearms are registered under that person's licence.

I also have an antique 1849 Colt pocket revolver that is registered but not under any licence (ie no licence required).

Semi-auto centrefire rifles are Category D but I don't have any, or that licence. Conditions of licence are more strict for that class.

Note that 50cal Browning is Category R, that also contains machine guns in that class.

I think I need to buy a 6.5mm bolt action rifle of some sort, a 22 magnum (Browning T-bolt?) and possibly a shotgun.

I miss my M14.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 07/04/20
Thank you so much for sharing that with us! Nice to hear from a real citizen there.

I'm so glad that you can enjoy something, because I feel you enjoy shooting as much as anyone, but I hate your gov't even more now.

A sissy ass, pantywaste communist prick came up with all those laws.
A few of mine.
Gold medallion .30-06, Gold medallion .22lr, and a ..22WMR
I’ve seen incredible groups shot by the A-Bolts predecessor as well...the BBR. It is heavier, but handles sweet.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 07/07/20
I bought the basic A Bolt in Long Action back in 92 or 93....

in 06, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag...

each one, shot like it thought it was a varmint gun...

I still have each one, as it is against my religion to let go of an accurate rifle...
Posted By: Seafire Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain
A few of mine.
Gold medallion .30-06, Gold medallion .22lr, and a ..22WMR

very nice Jack.. especially the two rimfires...
I bought my son a A Bolt micro medallion in 7-08 for his 9th birthday. 20" barrel. What a great rifle. He still enjoys it at 22 years old and ocassionaly still hunts with it. Not long ago we had it at the range and hit steel at 550 yards with it. 45 grs of Varget under a 120 gr BT. Those micro medallion were discontinued but they continued to make the micro hunter. Anybody that I know that has a Browning bolt rifle of any kind, loves them.
I have three A Bolt BOSS rifles that are amazingly accurate. Two .270's and a .300WM. What I always grab for the last 28 years.
I found an A-bolt I Stainless Stalker in 30-06 on gunbroker a few years ago. It was supposedly NOS and when I got it it definitely appeared that way.

I bought it because when I was 16 looking for advice on what rifle to purchase as my first it's what my uncle suggested in both caliber and model. I ended up going with a Winchester Classic Stainless with BOSS in 7mm Rem Mag at the time. My uncle passed away and when I stumbled on it on gunbroker I thought I'd buy it.

It's as accurate as any other rifle I own but it's also one of the hardest recoiling.
Originally Posted by Jonnymac
I found an A-bolt I Stainless Stalker in 30-06

It's as accurate as any other rifle I own but it's also one of the hardest recoiling.

Swap out the recoil pad for a Limbsaver or similar. Made a world of difference on mine! I shot it for many years with the factory pad when I was young and tough (dumb wink ). Decided as I got older that I don't like recoil that much.

I have this exact gun and have killed several hundred deer with it. My dad got it in a trade when I was 14 or 15 and I'm 40 now. It mostly sits in the safe these days as I tinker with other rifles, but I dragged it out a few weeks ago and took it to our local range. I hit every plate I shot at out to 500 yds and was wondering why I ever needed any other rifles. It shoots factory 180 AB into 3/4 moa and I would suppose you can kill most anything in NA with that. Also shoots 150 SST into 1/2 moa groups and they are tough on whitetails...... eek
Originally Posted by ckat
I don’t currently have an A-Bolt, but I wouldn’t hesitate to have another. The one I had was stupid accurate and very well made - the twist is the only reason I don’t still have it.

Pardon my ignorance, but if it was stupid accurate, what difference did it make what twist it had?
Posted By: Tansun Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 10/07/20
I still have a stainless a-bolt with the Boss recoil compensator. Like it for ease of dialing in factory loads when bench shooting, and long distant hunting. Back in day could easily have 5 shot group in 1/2” circle or smaller @ 100 yards. Was and is a heck of a loud shooter.
Posted By: strut64 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 10/07/20
Owned an A Bolt in 25-06. Had a Boss system and it was astoundingly accurate. Great round for PA whitetail. I traded it off for a trap gun and no longer hunt deer. I recommend an a bolt to any one seeking a good rifle
Posted By: JD45 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/18/22
I wish I could split this into a "Where are the old BARs?" thread.

I've literally seen one in 5 years at gun shops used.
I wish I could split this into a "Where are the old BARs?" thread.

I've literally seen one in 5 years at gun shops used.

Where do you live? I know of at least 2 dozen or more in 3 different places.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 06/19/22
SC
Sill have mine from when I was a kid. 1st year of the BOSS system for Browning Medallion 7mm rem mag with the walnut stock. Even had my name engraved in script on the bolt when they use offered it. Sent in the bolt and a few weeks later showed up. Thought I was the chit being I was the only one in the area, much less high school with a "personalized" rifle. haha. I never really played around with the BOSS system, just put the CR on it and went shoot. Still shoots lights out, but now that I'm much older, 50, I'm still curious on If I can actually dial that sucker to close to 1 hole groups.
Shot one of my BOSS Medallion .270 Win today with some 130gr SST's at 3043fps. Lightened the trigger spring.

.293" three shot group at 100 yards. I've stretched this rifle out to 550 yards on targets and can nail a grapefruit every time as long as I don't have too much wind.

Really my very favorite rifle for the last 31 years.
Originally Posted by bluestem
Were those A-bolts built in Japan by Miroku?

How would the current line of X-bolts stack up against those A-bolts?

My brother bought a 7mm Rem mag White gold medallion 2 years ago with a Nikon monarch scope mounted for 550. it has 2 dings on the stock which could refinished but otherwise it is like new.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My brother bought a 7mm Rem mag White gold medallion 2 years ago with a Nikon monarch scope mounted for 550. it has 2 dings on the stock which could refinished but otherwise it is like new.

Screaming deal on a White Gold model... I've only seen a couple.
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Screaming deal on a White Gold model... I've only seen a couple.

it came with 10 boxes of factory ammo. Deal of the Century, the guy who does my consignments just shook his head.
The ammo was worth almost that much... SMH
I always appreciated the craftsmanship of the A-bolt rifle and have owned a few. They were plenty accurate and very smooth operating. The stock design just didn't work for me though.
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
The ammo was worth almost that much... SMH

Yeah the guy wanted to buy something else BADLY.
i know a 7mm mag won't win many popularity contests but tha still will get the job done lgs had a browning abolt hunter 7mm rem mag nice walnut stock with good grain just a few light handling marks had a vx3 3.5-10x50 in leupold dual dove tail two pice mounts on it, when i turned the tag over i was shocked, walked up to the owner of the shop laid it on his counter and paid him $575 out the door for it....... it will cloverleaf almost any 150 gr load if put in it......
this thread got me thinking...... how many abolts do i have??
abolt medallion 300wsm
abolt medalion 270wsm
abolt stainless 270 wsm
abolt hunter 22-250
abolt hunter 30-06 (was bought cut and crowned to 20" barrel when i bought it)
abolt hunter 7mmrem mag
abolt hunter 270 win (was rebored by jes to 35 whelen two years ago)
abolt micro hunter 7mm-08
abolt micro hunter 358win (grice gun shop special run)

i would be pressed for funds to sell any of these rifles everyone one of them is a shooter
Posted By: ingwe Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 08/04/22
I worked for a top gunshop around 1996. I remember all the great sales and deals we had on Browning A-bolts. I was younger and thought I was Jack O'Connor and laughed at all of the novices and newbies that bought them.

Years later I realized how good they were. The barrels were floated, triggers not bad, decent synthetic stocks, and really nice walnut ones.

But mainly they would freakin shoot. Everybody we sold to bragged on them it seems. I saw groups shot with a 7mm Rem.Mag. that I couldn't believe.

I wish I had a stainless synthetic hunter model, and a Walnut Medallion. Very cool rifles, and a deal back then.

Same here, but our shop had a couple crack gunsmiths. When a customer would ask if the A-bolts were any good, I'd escort him into gun repair...look over the few hundred guns in the rack waiting for repairs. " Do you see any Browning A-bolts in there?"
grin

I thought not.....

And yeah..the accuracy!
Posted By: Teal Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 08/05/22
Originally Posted by ingwe

Same here, but our shop had a couple crack gunsmiths. When a customer would ask if the A-bolts were any good, I'd escort him into gun repair...look over the few hundred guns in the rack waiting for repairs. " Do you see any Browning A-bolts in there?"
grin

I thought not.....

And yeah..the accuracy!

I may smoke a turd in hell but....

You don't see toasters in for repair either. You just throw them out.

😃

(No dog in this, I like Browning O/U, never owned an A Bolt)
Posted By: Oakster Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 08/05/22
I like the A bolts quite a bit, and the A bolt II.
In the early 90’s when my dad got tired of toting the Mark V .300 Wby Mag he asked me what he should buy. Needed a stainless.30-06. I did a bunch of research and suggested the Stainless Stalker. He carried that rifle until 2013 when the trigger malfunctioned. He killed two truckloads of deer and elk with that rifle.
Had a 300 mag SS Stalker II Boss that I foolishly sold. It was truly a one hole gun if you kept barrel cool. I foolishly sold it in a moment of weakness. I killed animals of all kind with that rifle….love to have it back
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Had a 300 mag SS Stalker II Boss that I foolishly sold. It was truly a one hole gun if you kept barrel cool. I foolishly sold it in a moment of weakness. I killed animals of all kind with that rifle….love to have it back

I have the same gun. Used to shoot some elk with it and a couple of deer. Don't shoot it much but don't want to sell it either.

I had a friend leave his Abolt SS leaned against a tree while packing out a moose. They took one gun with them and when returning to the kill site cautiously they were charged by a grizzly as he got to the gun. The Abolt was froze up but the 700 wasn’t which saved them some real problems. I hadn’t heard of them freezing up at the time this happened and figured it could happen to any gun in the right conditions.
When I was a kid I lusted after an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .30-06. I had ads for them stuffed in my school binder so I could drool a little during class. After a summer of projects for my dad I finally had scratch to buy one myself. We went down to the local sporting goods store and they were sold out so I "settled" for a Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06. The model 70 is still in my safe 30 years later but now identifies as a .25-06. I still get a little nostalgic when I see a stainless a-bolt on a used rack even if I never actually had one in my personal collection.

Can the triggers be replaced with a decent aftermarket to eliminate the freezing/seizing issues?
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
I always appreciated the craftsmanship of the A-bolt rifle and have owned a few. They were plenty accurate and very smooth operating. The stock design just didn't work for me though.

The gold medallion stock fits beautifully. So much better than the stalker/medallion style.
I’ve owned/own a few. My .30-06 is crazy accurate and a .308 I sold my dad is same.
Never owned an X-Bolt.
Posted By: woofer Re: Speaking of the old A-bolt - 08/12/22
Still have my 1st year Gold Medallion. Unfortunately the stock is a pile of ashes in a northern Maine deer camp.
Took out of the moth balls after 20 years a while back to see if it still shot bugholes. It did. So I took it out for old times sake on a -billion degree day and the insanely gorgeous stock promptly spit clean in half at the wrist. I wept openly....
As much as [bleep] on them as a 700 lover those things fit perfect and shot lights out with ease....

Cheers
I have ABolt 22LR that love. I know it’s not a big game rifle but is one of my favorite rifles since I bought it new in 1985. I bought my son a 2008 Shot Show special for his first rifle. It was a 270 Win with a octagon barrel and oil finished stock. It is the best looking gun I ever bought. He loves it and is afraid to hunt with it because he doesn’t want to mess it up. I love the ABolts more than the X Bolts.
Picked up a new unfired 7mm-08 medallion today. No box but it was to pretty to pass up
© 24hourcampfire