Home
Thinking of buying a new 700 CDL SF in 257Wby, but have heard a lot of quality and accuracy complaints over the past years.

I'd like to hear the experiences from actual owners of these rifles.

Especially those chambered in 257Wby.

And especially those manufactured in Alabama (any 700 model).

Thanks!
My bud bought one fairly recently. I don't think it was an Alabama model. He is happy with it. One box of factory ammo and a 3 shot MOA group. Very handsome rifle.
I just unloaded two CDL SF's one in 257 the other in 7mm rem mag. The Rem mag had crooked chambering. The 257 did not shoot as well as a Vanguard 257 I owned a long time ago.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I just unloaded two CDL SF's one in 257 the other in 7mm rem mag. The Rem mag had crooked chambering. The 257 did not shoot as well as a Vanguard 257 I owned a long time ago.

Thanks Oldelk.

Do you have any idea where the 257 was manufactured, or how old it was? Did it have the little square QR code on the receiver?
I unloaded one a year ago and the 7 Mag went down the road a month ago or so, both had the square code on the receiver and the ultra thick recoil pad.

They were both RR prefix.
My brother in law has one in 30-06. 3 shots touching at 200 yards with factory rem ammo. He is very happy. Ed k
Knew someone that had a new 700 CDL SF in 257 WM. Tried all kinds of loads, could not get it to group. My Guide Gun 45-70 shot better groups at 100 than that 700 did. He sent it down the road.
Thanks Ed. I'm leaning towards rolling the dice.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Thinking of buying a new 700 CDL SF in 257Wby, but have heard a lot of quality and accuracy complaints over the past years.

I'd like to hear the experiences from actual owners of these rifles.

Especially those chambered in 257Wby.

And especially those manufactured in Alabama (any 700 model).

Thanks!

I've got three Model 700s, one SPS .30-06 and two ADL Synthetics, one .22-250 and one .243. They all three shoot better than me. Not sure where they were made.

Did you buy them new? If you knew one had a crooked chamber you should have sent it back on warranty issues. You don't have to eat crap.
I have one in 257. Only shot 110 accubonds in it, but it holds right around an inch. Was going to try other bullets but never got around to it. I did change the trigger which helped it immensely.

Who the heck would knowingly buy a rifle with a crooked chamber?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Who the heck would knowingly buy a rifle with a crooked chamber?

Does your dealer allow you to borescope rifles prior to their purchase? Now STFU and stick to the political forum.l
I have a CDL in 25-06. That X mark pro trigger sucks in my opinion, but I was planning on a Timney anyway. My rifle shoots fine, it will put Hornady whitetail classic into 2/3 inch just fine. There are tons of my handloads it will shoot into an inch, the normal loads like 52.0 of RL22 and H4831 with a 115grn NBT all shoot into an inch. It will put 80grn Barnes TTSX with Varget and H4831 into 1/2 to 2/3 inch.
https://imgur.com/2esKxCc
https://imgur.com/vOtcIWd
© 24hourcampfire