Home
Posted By: RevMike 7x57 - Not Supposed to Do This - 07/22/20
I posted some of this on another thread, but yesterday got my digital caliper out in order to get some precise measurements (old eyes and dial caliper just doesn't cut it anymore). Here's the back-story.

A couple of years ago I bought a M1909 Argentine Mauser that had been bedded into a B&C Carbelite stock. I bought it because I wanted something I could use in the wet weather that we have during our rainy season. The rifle shot ok, but the barrel was a pretty heavy profile, so I sent it off to have a few things done to it: check for lug set-back (there was none), have the action hardened, and then turn down the barrel. The 'smith used an old Rigby profile on the barrel, including the step, and finished it at .540 inches at the muzzle (24 inches). It took almost a pound off the entire rifle, bringing it to 7lbs, 2oz on the scale. I put an old 3-9 VXII on it, mounted in old-fashioned Weaver tip-off rings and Weaver base. Now the entire outfit comes in right at 8lbs. Not bad for an old, heavy military action.

Since this rifle will spend most of its life chasing pigs, I loaded up some 175-gr Hornady Round Nose Interlocks that I got a while back from Rocky Mountain Reloading. I loaded six three-shot groups, starting at 41.0 grains of IMR4350 and worked up to 43.5 in half-grain increments. Brass was Prvi, primers were WLR, and the CBTO was 2.635 inches, .010 off the lands. I didn't chronograph any of the loads, but using the data in Nosler's manual, I adjusted for a 24 vs. the 22 inch barrel they used in developing their data. I came up with about 2400 fps for the 41.0 grain load, and about 2500 fps for 43.5.

Here's where things get interesting.The first 100 yard three-shot group measured 1.607 inches CTC. Each subsequent group tightened up just a bit until I got to groups 5 and 6. Group 5 tightened up considerably to .661 inches CTC, and group 6 went .387 inches CTC. .387 inches! I suppose I could tweak the powder charge and seating depth to maybe even improve on that, but I'm not consistent enough off the bench to make it happen. Considering the fact that I was going to be content if this rifle shot around 1.5 MOA, I think I'm going to stop right there. Just about everything I shoot is inside of 125 yards or so, generally much closer to inside 75, this load will do.

I never dreamed that this old cobbled-together Military Mauser would be capable of anything even close to this, especially with that particular bullet. I guess I'm not all that interested in a 7-08 anymore. laugh

Sorry for the crappy smartphone pictures. I ought to learn to use my wife's camera.

175-grain Hornady Interlock Round Nose
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Turned down barrel with step

Finished rough weather Mauser

Three shots into .387 inches. That load is a keeper.
No need to tweak anything with that load!

Go forth and slay porky pig!
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I agree with elkhunternm. Don't mess with it any more.
Well done. Who was your smith?

Okie John
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

Tom Jackson, out in Davenport, Iowa. He posts quite a bit on AR.
The 7x57 and the 175 gr. RN are like bread and butter...meant to go together.
Pretty much.
I like either the 140's or 160's in my 7x57's.

But I am a heretic according to one person here.
Yeah, but he's now shooting 150-grain Ballistic Tips, so....
Originally Posted by RevMike

Yeah...but I'm shooting them in a .275 Rigby...made for lighter bullets and Red Deer....
Made for 140-grain Rigby HV...which were lead tipped. You can't rationalize away this one. laugh
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yeah...but I'm shooting them in a .275 Rigby...made for lighter bullets and Red Deer....

I saw on FB that you're using Hunter behind those bullets. Are you using a standard or magnum primer?

That's right!
Made for 140-grain Rigby HV...which were lead tipped. You can't rationalize away this one. laugh

You tell him Rev!
You'll have something if it repeats even close to that performance.
Wow.................flash back.
I used to have a classic English styled 7X57 I made for myself, but my brother-in-law beat me out of it.

I also used a fairly warm load of 4350 with the same Hornady 175 gr round nose bullet and got clover leaf groups from it too. The barrel was an original from a 1908 Brazilian Mauser I cut to 22" and turned the steps out of it. One of those "old surplus rifle barrels" that so many want to replace. If the bores are shiny you'd do well to give those old barrels a chance before you decide to replace them.

My current 8X57 is another one. It's so accurate with 170 gr Hornady SSTs that it is unbelievable. It was 29 inches long and I just cut it off to 19 and turned a nice taper to it.
I never took pictures of the best groups I shot with it, but I do have this picture of the target shot with the worst ones. These were shot with 200 grain Speer bullets and the 170 SSTs shoots[u] groups 1/2 this size .

That's groups too, not just one group. I've done it several times. So it's not just a lucky happenstance.
This old barrel really is that accurate.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]PC070001 by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

Not bad for old surplus military junk .
Not a 7, but I have a 6.5 Swede still packing the 114 year old military barrel that is just over a 1/2 minute shooter. Was supposed to be a truck gun, but it lives in the safe with the fine guns now.
Exactly - you do NOT fix what ain't broke... smile

I still remember the ass chewing you gave me over Ballistic Tips in the 7x57
Originally Posted by MagMarc

120gr NBTs are looking promising in my 275. I had a match 7x57 reamer in my rifle and now the throat is too short for 175gr RNs.
I love accurate rifles as much as the next guy, but how small are the pigs and deer you plan on shooting ?
Good thread!
Posted By: CRS Re: 7x57 - Not Supposed to Do This - 07/22/20
Fantastic, love when old rifles shoot like that.

Ingwe did that?!

Me thinks someone has some explaining to do! smile
Originally Posted by mathman
You'll have something if it repeats even close to that performance.

I'll probably never know because it's only once in a blue moon that I can repeat it myself!
Originally Posted by Redneck
Exactly - you do NOT fix what ain't broke... smile

Lee, that MRC that you adjusted the trigger on will do it too - and this is a factory 158-grain Prvi Grom.

Originally Posted by super T
I love accurate rifles as much as the next guy, but how small are the pigs and deer you plan on shooting ?

Florida deer are pretty small. Florida pigs not so much. (BTW, that's the old Ingwe Special in that pic)

Ingwe did that?!

He did 😂

Gotta back Ingwe on this one. I have killed Red deer with my John Rigby .275, handloaded with 140 grain bullets at 2900fps.
One shot drops too, even though my bullets didn't have a lead tip.
John
I think I'm going to stop right there.

Ja think????

grin

Ingwe did that?!

He did 😂

Yeah, but that was back in the day when NBTs were thin jacketed and explosive.

Besides, I say again, that was a 7x57..

Mine is a .275 Rigby laugh

Florida deer are pretty small. Florida pigs not so much. (BTW, that's the old Ingwe Special in that pic)

Beautiful one of a kind rifle! laugh
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

Tom Jackson, out in Davenport, Iowa. He posts quite a bit on AR.

Thank you.

Okie John

Beautiful one of a kind rifle! laugh

It actually is. And I think the addition of the sights and barrel band swivel makes it balance about perfect.

I got to look that rifle over and really liked it. I bought my own 7x57 Featherweight after that.
Just out of curiosity, where did you find a 1909 Belgium mauser chambered in 7X57?
My Ruger 77 Mk2 in 7 x 57, new out of the box threw shoot gun groups...

I was pretty frustrated with both of the ones I had.. got two for the price of one...

nothing worked.... UNTIL... I tried one last load.... 175 grain RN Hornady... with 40 grains of 3031..

half inch group....worked the same in BOTH Ruger 7 X 57s...

same charge with 139 to 175 grain bullets pretty much the same thing...

Hornady lied about one thing... with the 175 it claimed 2400 fps...

for some reason, both Rugers plus my Model 70 Featherweight, the MV was 2650 fps instead... in ALL 3 rifles...

no complaints.. I use what works...

the Featherweight, using Speer 160s SP, or the Nosler 140 grain B/Tips.... those I run 44 grains of IMR 4895 or 4064.. the 140s, give me an MV of 2800 fps, out of its 22 inch barrel....it works so why change..

the Ruger is fed 40 grains of 3031, regardless of bullet weight...

Blue Dot with Speer varmint bullets, gives me 100 yd, ONE hole groups... but that is a story for a different day....
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Just out of curiosity, where did you find a 1909 Belgium mauser chambered in 7X57?

It's a M1909 Argentine. The barrel was obviously a rebarrel as, as I said, it had a really heavy profile - .655 at the muzzle. Less rings and bases it weighed 7lbs 15.7 oz. on my postal scale, and that was with a 30 oz Carbelite stock. After I got it back, the barrel had really been put on a diet and the entire rifle, including bases, weighed 7lbs 2 oz. As I said in the opening post, rings and scope bring it to right about 8lbs. M1909s aren't known for being particularly light to begin with, but I'm pretty pleased the way this one turned out.

Ingwe did that?!

He did 😂

Yeah, but that was back in the day when NBTs were thin jacketed and explosive.

Besides, I say again, that was a 7x57..

Mine is a .275 Rigby laugh

Tamato or Tomato.
Posted By: CRS Re: 7x57 - Not Supposed to Do This - 07/24/20
I was thing potato, pa tah to
Yeah,that too! wink
Originally Posted by szihn
Wow.................flash back.
I used to have a classic English styled 7X57 I made for myself, but my brother-in-law beat me out of it.

I also used a fairly warm load of 4350 with the same Hornady 175 gr round nose bullet and got clover leaf groups from it too. The barrel was an original from a 1908 Brazilian Mauser I cut to 22" and turned the steps out of it. One of those "old surplus rifle barrels" that so many want to replace. If the bores are shiny you'd do well to give those old barrels a chance before you decide to replace them.

My current 8X57 is another one. It's so accurate with 170 gr Hornady SSTs that it is unbelievable. It was 29 inches long and I just cut it off to 19 and turned a nice taper to it.
I never took pictures of the best groups I shot with it, but I do have this picture of the target shot with the worst ones. These were shot with 200 grain Speer bullets and the 170 SSTs shoots[u] groups 1/2 this size .

That's groups too, not just one group. I've done it several times. So it's not just a lucky happenstance.
This old barrel really is that accurate.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]PC070001 by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

Not bad for old surplus military junk .

I've got a Yugo 24/47 sporterized but left the steps in the military barrell that's pretty accurate. I've got a couple of loads for it plus i shoot some Wolf 196 grain in it. It hovers around 1 moa average. The first load I worked up was with 150 grain Hornady Interlocks which shot around 1.5 MOA 5 shot groups. The three shot were about .7 moa. Then I worked up a load with 170 Sierra Pro Hunters that will shoot 5 shots just a hair over MOA. That's way more than I have a right to expect out of my 72 year old eyes. I haven't killed anything with the Sierras yet but the Interlock load took a couple of hogs.
I used to have an 1895 Chilean Mauser that the barrel had be cut to 21" and the steps turned completely out of the profile. Never could get more than about 2600 fps with loads that were pressure appropriate but it would consistently shoot 1/2" or better with my loads.
My 93 allways shot the175 pretty decent, picked up a part box of the 154 grn RN same profile as the 175.The chamber is not tight but generous still shoots fine I did not take thep steps out of the barrel.It will shoot the 139gr hornady SP and 140 NPT. I hit gunshots alot and allways pick up the bullets Hornady hates and discontinued 100 gr SP 243& 257,154 &175 grn RN 7mm. Got a pretty good supply, you need to do the same. MB
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Got a pretty good supply, you need to do the same. MB

That's exactly what I did with both 175-gr RNs and Speer Deep Curls. They both shoot very well in a couple of my rifles, so I loaded up while I could.
Swap those Soft Points RN's to FMJ RN's and you're ready for elephants!

Like Karamojo Bell
© 24hourcampfire