Home
Do you have a new rifle to try this fall? I have a new to me L-61 Sako in 338 Win Mag and a Remington 798 in 7 mag. I need to get them sighted in before hunting season. Sako is serial number 008, probably first day of production in 61.

Anyone else have a new rifle to hunt with this fall?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]la croix good for you

Tikka T3x in 7mm-08
I just got a rem 760 in 3006 for a backup
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Tikka T3x in 7mm-08

You won't regret that one, my friend. I'll be trying out a cartridge that I have often thought of testing. Ordered a Weatherby Vanguard S2, chambered for 240 Wby mag. Also sent for three boxes of Barnes 80 grain TTSX loads for same. They claim 3500 fps for that little pill. If all goes well, we gonna see how it works.
Yes, three. A Vierordt double rifle in 8 X 65R Brenneke, an actual Wilhelm Brenneke rifle on a 98 Mauser in 7 X 64 Brenneke and a Haenel/Rasch 1890 in 9 X 57 Mauser.
Remington 81 .32 Rem
Remington 141 .30 Rem
Savage 99 .22-250
I have a 7600 in 280 Remington I'd like to use this fall for deer. I wanna order the Timney trigger spring kit for it, but so far it is shooting well.
Always! Kimber 8400 ( 300WSM) & 84L(270) , Bergara B14 (300WM) and latest ,a pristine Mark X Cavalier.(30-06) My Marine SIL is going to hunt with the Kimbers, I'm taking the Bergara and Mark X. Tons of fun!
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Remington 81 .32 Rem
Remington 141 .30 Rem
Savage 99 .22-250

old school cool!!!!!!!!!!
I am installing the Talley lightweights on it as I type. The scope has been ordered. Nosler Liberty 6 Creed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

7mm Mag

.44 mag

Beanland 7mm08 build in works. Dont think it will be done by hinting season but will see.
Originally Posted by Buzzaw

7mm Mag

.44 mag

Those all look wicked buddy!

Is the 7 mag a Supergrade or a custom of some sort? The red pad has me intrigued!
Yes and no. Have a Savage 12FV 6.5CM I purchased last Christmas. Would be great f antelope as we don't carry far, not so good for elk because of the fat barrel. But I'll probably use the Savage 11 FXP3 .243 Win I picked up a couple years ago, used, for .$295. I've been using it to shoot clay pigeons and 4" steel at 600 yards. Or my Ruger M77 .257 Roberts I've been using for years.

Elk will be tried and trusted rifles - two of the following: Ruger M77 7mm RM, MKII .300WM, MKII .338WM or Hawkeye .280 Rem.
Winchester 71 .348 Winchester and a Steyr Model M Professional .30-06 with a Kahles 6x42 scope and hopefully my Shiloh Sharps .50-90 and if completed a Ruger Flattop Bisley .38-40/10mm from John Powers
Weatherby MKV Backcountry 240 Bee with 7.5 RMP

Working on loads now
New for this year, I have a FN-98 in 275 Rigby and a 700 Lego gun in 6CM.
I picked up a 1981 M70 XTR featherweight 7 x 57 last October. Just got it working properly. It will go caribou hunting, but primary if conditions work out will be my dad's 1927 M94 with Lyman aperture sight.

Because I can. Maybe.

Leaving Friday. smile
Originally Posted by hanco
Do you have a new rifle to try this fall? I have a new to me L-61 Sako in 338 Win Mag and a Remington 798 in 7 mag. I need to get them sighted in before hunting season. Sako is serial number 008, probably first day of production in 61.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]la croix good for you

Yes,

a couple so new they have not arrived yet !

ya!

GWB
Bergara B14 Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor cause the shooting and hunting community has convinced me that all other calibers are now worthless antiques!
Nope! Just checked in the safe.....same old rifle! wink memtb
Picked up a NOS Forbes in 270 I’ve mounted a Vortex 1.5-8 on it and hope to get to the range if we can get temps out of the 90’s. Also a JM Marlin in 30-30.

My oldest son graduated from his compact Ruger American in 243 to a stainless T3 in the same. Have lots of range work to be done still have over 3 months before our rifle season begins though.
270 Fieldcraft. I really like it so far. I don't shoot it as well offhand as the old faithful 7stw, but I've got a few more months to practice..
I have some new 30/06s MS and a new Elite Ritual 35. I also have a new to me 270Win in a Pre-64 Model 70. It has been a wet year so I probably won't take the engraved deluxe but the Stutzen has some draw.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Is that image reversed?
Nope. Just from Gun Room. The Deluxe is on the bottom.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Tikka T3x in 7mm-08

You won't regret that one, my friend. I'll be trying out a cartridge that I have often thought of testing. Ordered a Weatherby Vanguard S2, chambered for 240 Wby mag. Also sent for three boxes of Barnes 80 grain TTSX loads for same. They claim 3500 fps for that little pill. If all goes well, we gonna see how it works.

From what little I’ve got to shoot the rifle I think you’re correct. It is quite accurate and handles nicely.

I looked at the Vanguards but I wanted to test drive a Tikka. The 240 should be devastating on whitetails and hogs.
Right before Covid I picked up a Ruger Hawkeye stainless in 338 Federal, in the box, but used. Nice shooter and mild recoil but then as things happen I stumbled into a Remington 660 in 350 Remington mag. Working on loads for the 350 Rem mag. Might have to sell the Ruger....
I might use this Tikka T3 TAC .300 WM that I bought from a friend a month or so ago. It shoots Federal Premium Vital-Shok Trophy Copper 180gr ammunition into small groups so should work great on deer/elk out to 500 yards or so ... maybe a little more if necessary. I have a few boxes of the Trophy Copper so no need to do any load development for this one this year. With the side mounted sling it's easy to carry, and it's very soft shooting for a .300 WM so would work well on a hunt up here.

[Linked Image from thr.mcmxi.org]
New 7mm RM, .308, .270 Wby, .300 WM and 6Mm Remington provided I am physically able to hunt.
Originally Posted by slm9s
270 Fieldcraft. I really like it so far. I don't shoot it as well offhand as the old faithful 7stw, but I've got a few more months to practice..

Got one as well, too hot to take it to the range.

Along with a Mark 270 bee.

When Uncle sugar sends me a stimulator check there will be one more. grin
Christensen Arms Mesa 6.5 Creed.

I took it on a partial trade from a friend with less than 40 rounds down the tube. Seems like a nice built rifle lot's of good reviews.

I'm thinking 130gr Berger VLD's.

Tikka T3x in 7mm-08

From what little I’ve got to shoot the rifle I think you’re correct. It is quite accurate and handles nicely.

I looked at the Vanguards but I wanted to test drive a Tikka. The 240 should be devastating on whitetails and hogs.

You can load 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over 43 grains of Varget and make deer BAD sick.
Last year it was my faux Howa Alpine in 7mm-08, this year it's a Weatherby Vanguard S2 Weatherguard in 257 WBY. Topped off with a Zeiss HD5 3-15 sitting in Leupold steel bases and 30mm rings with Durlon bushings for a 1" scope. Haven't shot it yet, but working on it!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I have some new 30/06s MS and a new Elite Ritual 35. I also have a new to me 270Win in a Pre-64 Model 70. It has been a wet year so I probably won't take the engraved deluxe but the Stutzen has some draw.

Left hand MS?? shocked
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Nope. Just from Gun Room. The Deluxe is on the bottom.

I have never seen a left handed Mannlicher-Schonauer before
Nope.

I haven't got a new rifle (traded into, didn't purchase) since 2017.

I doubt I'll use it this year since it's the 100th anniversary of the 300 Savage, and that will get the go all season.
CA Mesa in 6.5 CM. Can't decide whether to use factory 143 gr. Precision Hunter or 120 gr. Superformance on the elk hunt. Both group just dandy.
CZ550 Safari Magnum in .300 win mag. It went to American Hunting Rifles for a tune up over the winter and its shooting 165gr TTSX's pretty well. Hoping to take it up to NYS for whitetail this fall for its inauguration.
I just got one of the last 2 rifles I have on my Bucket list. A Remington M141 in 35 Remington.
I may try to fill some of the freezer with it this season.

Tikka T3x in 7mm-08

You can load 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over 43 grains of Varget and make deer BAD sick.

I’ll keep that in mind. There’s no Varget to be found around here right now.

I’m working on the 150 ballistic tip and H4895 right now.
Mauser M18 6.5 prc

years ago I picked up one of the last Ruger LH hawkeye standards in 3006.........really need to get that gun in the deer stand.....

Maybe this is the year once the woods get cold
Originally Posted by szihn
I just got one of the last 2 rifles I have on my Bucket list. A Remington M141 in 35 Remington.
I may try to fill some of the freezer with it this season.

I was just offered a 141 in 35 Rem. Nice rifle!
I got one and sold it
Couldnt find a peep for it.

Neat rifle (141) and made it this far not D&T.
Wasnt gonna happen on my watch

Broke even on it. Good enough.

Have two rifles yet to be blooded.
My bought new Steyr Prohunter in .30-06 ( just put a Leupold vx3i 3.5-10x on it ).....

And

a '67 Ruger #1 in .280 rem. Not found a proper scope for it yet.
Just got a Winchester 1895 in 35 Winchester. It's got period sling swivels, a two leaf folding rear sight and a Lyman rear peep sight. I've been wanting one for years and found this one in great shape with a like new bore, at a fair price. Got some new brass and have settled on a load that the rifle seems to like. All I need is for deer season to get here!
I do have a 94 Winchester 7/30 Waters that needs blood on it.
Yep, got an old Sako just like yours except it's an '06, 200gr partitions at 2700 fps, first load workup, three in 5/8ths inch, zeroed and ready.

Feldcamp built M-70 in 6.5-55, 147gr ELD's at 2960 fps, it's ready to 1100 yards.

Not rifle of course, but it's going hunting, Freedom Arms '97 44 Special 5.5" round butt, 255gr 'GT Bullets' Keith bullet at an easy 1030 fps, cant wait to try that one on a deer or pig.
I’ll use this, added a Leupold VX-II, 2 x 7. pre-64 30-06 Featherweight.

[Linked Image]
I'll be slummin, Remington rifles, "without welded bolt handles", Leopold scopes "that don't hold zero" and Talley UL rings "that aren't robust and break"... Oh and varmint bullets!!! Yet another year of "just getting by"....😂😂😎🖕
I have a few new rifles. I need to work up a good load for my new Tikka T3x 7mm08.. Almost there though..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I'm all dressed up and no place to go. I lost my leese two years back but bought a new to me 70 year old model 721 Remington in .30-06. Then I finally finished my Zastava action barreled in 7x57. I've got some Hornady Interlocks and some 180 and some 200 grain SGKs over 58 and 56 Grains respectively of IMR 4831 for the 06. All I've got for the 7x57 is some factory Sellier and Bellot 140 grain round nose. But I haven't shot either one yet.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I have a few new rifles. I need to work up a good load for my new Tikka T3x 7mm08.. Almost there though..

That one needs to be sent back . Talk about an inconsistent shooter. grin
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Just got a Winchester 1895 in 35 Winchester. It's got period sling swivels, a two leaf folding rear sight and a Lyman rear peep sight. I've been wanting one for years and found this one in great shape with a like new bore, at a fair price. Got some new brass and have settled on a load that the rifle seems to like. All I need is for deer season to get here!

Most interesting rifle and cartridge posted so far. Well done and good luck with it.
Dakota Varmint .22 PPC
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image share

This one will hopefully see action this fall for the first time! Mauser action, chambered in 358 Win. Will be feeding it 200 grain cast at 2100 fps. Going old school, should work great for Pa woods!
I'm looking forward to hunting with my, new to me, Husqvarna in 7x57. When I got it accuracy was horrible. As this is unusual for a Husqvarna, I started looking for an answer. The problems were not hard to find, a scope base screw that was about three threads too long, glass bedding bearing on things that should be clear, tang screws that were not cleared of bedding compound etc. After a little work it started acting like a Husqvarna should. I've had these rifles before but not in 7x57. I love it when you get a bargain on a rifle because of easy to fix issues.
OK. I took pictures of possible candidates for this "lost" year. I call it a lost year because as a teacher I have no clue if I will be able to get out. I might get out a lot or not at all. However, if I do go I won't uses my plastic rifles unless the weather is really crappy. I also probably won't use the MS1952 Deluxe but the others are game. I put the Abolt medallion in as a truck gun loaner. You always need a loaner. I might also use my 338 Win Mag Model 70 Classic but I am waiting for Vortex for the backordered scope that I have planned for it. I am not the photographer that you guys might be. Both MS are 30/06.

The Pre-64 Sporter in 270 Win with a VX2.5-8 that was a good deal.

The 338 Win Mag Model 70 Classic that was also a steal.

The 30/06 Browning Abolt medallion with the 4-16 Redfield that I picked up for $300.00. Its not perfect but it hasn't been shot much and is pretty accurate. It is great as a loaner.
Just bought a new Remington model 700 sps in 300 win mag for a nilgai hunt in February 2021. For deer and elk I'll use the same rifles I've used in previous years.
Yeah, i think id like to buy yet another Kimber Montana .308 Win but they seem to be very scarce right now.....Hb
A 25-284 is getting it s first work out this year.

GreggH
Have a new to me Shiloh 74 in 40-90 2 5/8" SBN loaded with 370 gr. ppb's and new to me Sharps 74 45 2.1" Business rifle using 420 gr. ppb's over 75 gr Fg and a couple of newer bolt guns. I retired in May so I can hunt long as I can stand it. lol. MB
I'm going to have a. Sig Cross before the NH deer season.
Not 'new', but never seen blood..........450 Bushmaster upper for bear.

George
Originally Posted by hanco

Oh goodness yes. I have acquired two .338-06s, and a 9.3x62. Unfortunately they have to compete with some other pre-existing rifles that have some sentimental value driving the desire to hunt them this fall.
- I hope to use the .25-06 that I killed my first pronghorn with in 1991 for my AZ pronghorn hunt early this September (took 20 years to draw that tag!)
- I hope to use the 7mm RM that I killed my first mule deer with in 1990, for my Montana general deer tag this fall.
- I hope to use my Savage 99 .358 Win, that I have had for a while but never hunted or really done much work with, for my AZ cow elk hunt in late September.

That leaves a Montana deer B-Tag, and hopefully a Montana pronghorn tag (should find out later this week!) Maybe the Nine Three for the B-Tag and one of the .338's for the "goat?"
I'm 60. Not as many seasons in front of me as behind me. Going to concentrate on using "fun" rifles.

Cheers,
Rex
Nothing new this year, but still need to kill one with my ruger American ranch in 300 blackout. It is a dream to carry and shoot.
I picked up this M70 Supergrade 300 RUM and I’ve had this 06 Featherweight for awhile but haven’t really done much with it till now. Both are doing pretty well so far and may get to hunt.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by Judman
I'll be slummin, Remington rifles, "without welded bolt handles", Leopold scopes "that don't hold zero" and Talley UL rings "that aren't robust and break"... Oh and varmint bullets!!! Yet another year of "just getting by"....😂😂😎🖕

I will probably have to drag out a 700 too, junkie Leupold, sorry Talley bases and rings,
I’ve a Kimber 84L 7x57 I need to carry around as well as a short (18”) barreled Tikka 6.5 Creed I want to shoot at a deer with.
I have a couple new ones that will get used this fall - Fieldcraft 1:9 270 and Ruger African 9.3x62...
J Gray tell me about your 9.3 ruger African, what's the going rate on them in us dollars? MB.
Picked up a nice Remington 7600 in 257 Roberts. Going to take that out on a few walkabouts.
A couple 7mm-08's

Remington Model 7 FS

Dakota Model 10

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Agreed.......giving tikka a bad name

By publishing that pick tikka may be sending some folks to see you
I got a new to me Glenfield 30-30 that I'm excited to take hunting.
Originally Posted by moosemike

It was later in my hunting career that I hunted with a 30 WCF, but I found it to be a deer killing SOB. The 170 grain Remington Core Lokt HP drops them in their tracks.
Originally Posted by moosemike

It was later in my hunting career that I hunted with a 30 WCF, but I found it to be a deer killing SOB. The 170 grain Remington Core Lokt HP drops them in their tracks.

Yup. At woods ranges it leaves little to be desired.
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Agreed.......giving tikka a bad name

By publishing that pick tikka may be sending some folks to see you

Hey, I did say I was working on a load for that rifle. Ha ha.. It will be shooting better when all is said and done. I also just used the cheap Nikon 3-9x40 that came on my $500.00 Tikka 300WSM I bought at a local gunshow last year:
I'm thinking about trying this one with 175gr LRX bullets this year..
© 24hourcampfire