Home
Posted By: Pabst Nula question - 08/07/20
I called and talked to Mel today, kinda got cut off but will call back tomorrow to finish up. I'm interested in a model 20 in 7/08 but haven't decided on barrel contour or material.

I asked about a #2 contour, having experienced the balance of a fieldcraft in 270 and also one of the 6.5 CMs in 22" threaded. I was surprised when he replied with a question as to why I'd ever do that. Lol. He mentioned it would be 7 oz heavier than a similar rifle with #1 contour due to weight he would need to add inside the stock to make it balance. Kinda made me scratch my head, would love to hear thoughts on that...
Posted By: Aviator Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
Yep that’s the way he builds them, and it works!
Posted By: RBO Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
I’d Just buy a fieldcraft if I were you. I’ve had 2 Nula’s made, neither one was worth the money or the wait. I just thought the first one was a lemon until I got the second one.
Posted By: ejo Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
I received a 7-08 m20 last week with a no1 and it balances fine but kinda wish I went with a no2. I ordered it in November
Posted By: Pabst Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
Good to hear turnaround is under a year, that's good news. How would you say balance feels? Slightly nose heavy? Which scope did you go with?

I've got 2 Fieldcrafts, both excellent and both #2. I'd say the 22" CM is balanced perfectly but I really love the 270.
Posted By: ejo Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
I have a vx3 3-10 but it is not tracking correctly so will be switching it up. Balance is good and the rifle handles very nice. Another member helped me out for a upcoming trip and sold me a ula with a 2.5 or 3 contour rifle which is really nice to shoot.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
Originally Posted by RBO
I’d Just buy a fieldcraft if I were you. I’ve had 2 Nula’s made, neither one was worth the money or the wait. I just thought the first one was a lemon until I got the second one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS IN SPADES^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Pabst
Good to hear turnaround is under a year, that's good news. How would you say balance feels? Slightly nose heavy? Which scope did you go with?

I've got 2 Fieldcrafts, not excellent and both #2. I'd say the 22" CM is balanced perfectly but I really love the 270.

#2 Contour????? 270 24" barrel and it is a #1 contour.
Originally Posted by ejo
I have a vx3 3-10 but it is not tracking correctly so will be switching it up. Balance is good and the rifle handles very nice. Another member helped me out for a upcoming trip and sold me a ula with a 2.5 or 3 contour rifle which is really nice to shoot.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to use a vortex razor lh that I have here, thinking the weight is comparable to your vx3 as far as balance goes. Maybe a few oz heavier.

Do you prefer the heavier contour Ula? Happen to know diameter at the muzzle?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I've got 2 Fieldcrafts, not excellent and both #2. I'd say the 22" CM is balanced perfectly but I really love the 270.

I was thinking both of my Fieldcrafts had the same barrel contour (minus the threaded muzzle on the CM) but will post muzzle measurements.
Posted By: lotech Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
Originally Posted by ejo
I received a 7-08 m20 last week with a no1 and it balances fine but kinda wish I went with a no2. I ordered it in November

I had the same thought after ordering a #1 barrel (22") on a .308 at least ten years ago. After getting used to shooting a very light rifle on the bench, my concerns vanished. This rifle remains very accurate after much shooting and years of trying many different bullets and load combinations. The balance is perfect and the light weight (just under six pounds with scope) is really welcome when trekking upwards on an elk hunt.
Posted By: Brad Re: Nula question - 08/07/20

The Fieldcraft 270 @ 24" is a no.2 contour.
270 is 0.610" at the muzzle, CM is 0.630" just behind the threaded adapter.
Originally Posted by Brad

The Fieldcraft 270 @ 24" is a no.2 contour.

Previous owner told me it was a # 1 . I just measured it and it is .610, sorry for the confusion.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
you have to remember why Melvin built his rifle to remove all the weight he could that wasnt needed and that is his theory behind a #2 versus a #1 taper barrel
both will shoot and handle great.....

a crap shoot with Melvins rifles....I dont think so and if your not happy you have a 30 return policy with your rifle.... after 7000 rifles and thirty years he wouldnt be in business if he made lemons

fieldcrafts are nice rifles and i have a few nula and a few fieldcrafts...both shoot better than me....

I like a #2 taper on my nula rifles....308 and 260

another thought on the fieldcraft ....not sure they are going to make them again and i only say that because they took the facebook and email down at barrett
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
Originally Posted by RBO

I've had two NULA's (well, actually my second will arrive next week via UPS). The first was a .257 Roberts Imp. and I should never have sold it. Beautiful rifle and very accurate too. If you can score a Fieldcraft, by all means do so since they weigh the same as the NULA and are $2000 cheaper. The problem is Barrett has paused production of the Fieldcraft and they are getting scarce. That said, the NULA is worth every penny and $3700 for a custom rifle these days is very fair. Also, I like the cheek piece on the NULA better than the Fieldcraft. The other advantage about the NULA is you can get in just about any caliber. Melvin can do you a 6.5 x .284 that will do 3000 fps with a 140 grain bullet and 22" bbl in his Model 20 action which allows you to seat the bullet to just a hair under 3.00" long.
Thanks everyone. I'm really happy with both of my Fieldcrafts, just wanting one of Melvin's rifles while he's still at it. I spoke with him briefly today and will probably finish up on Monday.

Leaning toward 22" #2 in 7/08 and his classic green stripe paint scheme. He said lead time is around 10 mo these days.
Originally Posted by gene270
you have to remember why Melvin built his rifle to remove all the weight he could that wasnt needed and that is his theory behind a #2 versus a #1 taper barrel

a crap shoot with Melvins rifles....I dont think so and if your not happy you have a 30 return policy with your rifle.... after 7000 rifles and thirty years he wouldnt be in business if he made lemons

fieldcrafts are nice rifles and i have a few nula and a few fieldcrafts...both shoot better than me....

another thought on the fieldcraft ....not sure they are going to make them again and i only say that because they took the facebook and email down at barrett

Supposedly once they are freed up from their huge contract they will start making them again in 2021. I will look at a 7mm-08 when that happens.
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
Originally Posted by gene270

Supposedly once they are freed up from their huge contract they will start making them again in 2021. I will look at a 7mm-08 when that happens.

I'm going 6.5 Creedmoor, just so many better ammo options, but no flies on the 7mm08
Posted By: utah708 Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
Having had 3 NULAs, I would go #1 contour. Any thicker and you are giving back some of the weight advantage you are paying for. IMHO.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Nula question - 08/07/20
Thanks everyone. I'm really happy with both of my Fieldcrafts, just wanting one of Melvin's rifles while he's still at it. I spoke with him briefly today and will probably finish up on Monday.

Leaning toward 22" #2 in 7/08 and his classic green stripe paint scheme. He said lead time is around 10 mo these days.

This was exactly my thinking on my recently purchased one. Melvin is 75 years old.
Posted By: SKane Re: Nula question - 08/07/20

I would do prezactly this – paint scheme and all.
Posted By: DropTyne Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
Originally Posted by ejo

What's the weight of your bare rifle without the scope and mounts?

Thanks,
CH
Posted By: Huntr Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
Originally Posted by SKane

I would do prezactly this – paint scheme and all.

Exactly what I would do as well, however, I would do a 6.5 Creed.
Posted By: Pabst Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
One of the first things I asked Mel about was 7/08 or .284 and he didn't hardly say much about the .284. His comment was that 7/08 is completely capable with anything except the big scary bears. Not sure how many rifles he's building in .284 anymore but I have seen that Hornady is now making brass.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
How about 7-08 Imp?
Posted By: Jpterry Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
One of the first things I asked Mel about was 7/08 or .284 and he didn't hardly say much about the .284. His comment was that 7/08 is completely capable with anything except the big scary bears. Not sure how many rifles he's building in .284 anymore but I have seen that Hornady is now making brass.

Melvin is known for his .284 builds and built more than any gunsmith that ever lived. With brass now readily available, a Melvin 284 is just damn classy and sexy. He will definitely build you a great one.
7/08 Imp solves some of the ammo availability problems with the 284, just not sure the extra 50fps is worth the extra work with brass prep.

284 has a certain nostalgic appeal for sure. Seeing Hornady brass in 284 made me wonder if there's been more interest in the chambering recently. Seems most have moved on to 7/08 these days?
Posted By: HShunter36 Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
No matter what you decide you will be happy with one of Melvin’s rifles. My 22, 243, and 7mm-08 have 22” #1 barrels and my 270 & 300 have 24” #2 barrels. All of them balance well and are a pleasure to carry.
I'm sure you're right about that, probably hard to go wrong no matter what!
Posted By: Aviator Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
If I were to build another NULA I would have to consider the .284 Winchester with the availability of brass now...Peterson is making it also!
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
Just a thought, stick with the light contour, but go 24", or maybe 23". I did that on a Kimber 84M, factory contour but 23.25". The extra 1.25" is noticable, in my opinion balances better than the factory 22". Doesn't add much weight, but it's out there where it makes a difference.
Posted By: HShunter36 Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
I'm sure you're right about that, probably hard to go wrong no matter what!

Not sure how far you live from Southeastern Ohio but you are welcome to handle and shoot the ones I have.
Posted By: lhead71 Re: Nula question - 08/08/20
I have 2 fieldcrafts, my 7mm/08 is a joy to shoot and carry, and the 6.5 Swede is a beaut but I had to have a a NULA because at some point there won't be any more built by Melvin, I have an original ULA in 284 and a newer anniversary edition NULA in 260 and they both shoot house a fire. Simple load work up. You'll be pleased. I do prefer Melvins stock shape.
Posted By: Pabst Re: Nula question - 08/09/20
Thank you for the offer HShunter36, I'm in NV which makes it hard to stop by, but very generous of you.
I wanted to get a feel for Melvin's usual balance point at the front action screw and started experimenting with my 22" Fieldcraft in 65.

I took the scope off and taped wheel weights to the stock until balance was about at the center of the front action screw. After I put the scope back on (old model razor hd lh 3-15x), balance shifted rearward about 3/8".

Just handling and pointing it in my garage I can't say it's noticably less stable offhand than my Fieldcraft in 270 (balance with scope ~7/8" ahead of the front action screw). If anything it felt easier to hold offhand for longer periods of time.

Without feeling any obvious improvement in offhand stability I'm questioning the idea of going with a heavier #2 barrel.
Originally Posted by lhead71
I have 2 fieldcrafts, my 7mm/08 is a joy to shoot and carry, and the 6.5 Swede is a beaut but I had to have a a NULA because at some point there won't be any more built by Melvin, I have an original ULA in 284 and a newer anniversary edition NULA in 260 and they both shoot house a fire. Simple load work up. You'll be pleased. I do prefer Melvins stock shape.

This is also a nice idea, improved MV and shift in balance.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Nula question - 08/09/20
I've never spoken with nor met Mr Forbes. I do remember reading about his rifles in the 80's/90's and lots on here as well. I can imagine the conversation regarding #1 vs. #2 in a 7-08 went something like:

"I can only make them so light, but, I can add as much weight as you want......"
When I first asked him about barrel contours he thought I had doubts that a #1 could be made accurate. After that misunderstanding was cleared up, he was happy to put a #1 or #2 or whatever I wanted on the gun. He'll make whatever the customer wants.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Nula question - 08/10/20
Not a Nula, but a 7# 2 ounce 7/08 all up with a 1.5-6x42 30mm scope on it. I opted for a 20” #1 taper Shilen barrel and as my go to WI. whitetail rifle it works just fine though it is light in the front end. For longer range or a rifle that I would shoot more off hand, I would have made it a #2 taper.
Posted By: Pabst Re: Nula question - 08/11/20
#1 22" in 7/08 it is... or will be in several months time I should say
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Nula question - 08/12/20
#1 22" in 7/08 it is... or will be in several months time I should say

Congratulations....
Posted By: Pabst Re: Nula question - 08/12/20
Thanks, and thank you to all who chimed in.
© 24hourcampfire