Home

Hey Gents,

I'm setting up a Tikka T3x for a friend.
When running a 40mm objective lens scope, which Talley or Leupold mounts get the scope down where it should be.?

Thanks,
Scott
Talleys

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Talley lows and don’t look back.
2nd choice would Be dnz Game reaper
Talley extra lows worked on mine
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Talley extra lows worked on mine

DD's have also worked for you in the past. That's what I run on some of my Tikka's..
I have tried them all. My 3 tikkas wear sportmatch rings. Hands down the best and strongest tikka mounts out there.
I put Burris all-steel weaver type bases on mine with good rings. Worked fine.
Are you planning to leave them in the creek? I hear that's a major factor in the decision. 😂😇
Originally Posted by ingwe
Talleys

What scope is that....and caliber rifle? Nice work and rifle.
Not a fan of talleys or Leupold mounts for a Tikka, this is what I thought worked best on mine Mountain Tactical

Then add low Burris Signature Zee Rings.
Originally Posted by spence1875
I have tried them all. My 3 tikkas wear sportmatch rings. Hands down the best and strongest tikka mounts out there.

+1. Love 'em.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Talleys

ingwe,

Thank you, Sir.

And a Thanks to you all.
Lots to consider.

Scott

I have tried several different rings/mounts for Tikka T3 rifles and I like the Talley lighweights best (low)..weight is a big factor for Me and these are light and strong, I also like that the Talleys screw on to the receiver not clamp on a dovetail 👍....Good luck...Hb
You have two choices : Sportsmatch or Sako Optilocks

Originally Posted by boatanchor
Not a fan of talleys or Leupold mounts for a Tikka, this is what I thought worked best on mine Mountain Tactical

Then add low Burris Signature Zee Rings.

Make that 3 choices.
Tag
I think myself much to much is made of brand name. They all do pretty much the same thing and seem's even aluminum ring's hold scopes on a rifle. I need to say I had a set of off the wall rings and base's one time that were pure ugly. Got rid of them soon as I could but they never failed! I'don't know what height rings you need but you should be able to find out easily in the store you buy them from. If it is actually a sporting goods store with sales people that know what they are talking about. I'd get the low rings with the understanding I could take them back and exchange if need be. If I remember right, Weaver used to have a chart on the back of the packaging telling you where they worked!
Originally Posted by 358wsm

I'm setting up a Tikka T3x for a friend.
When running a 40mm objective lens scope, which Talley or Leupold mounts get the scope down where it should be.?

Based on this, I'd go Talley 1 Pc lows. I had a VX2 3-9x40 in these on a T3 , and they worked fine and are really light.

If you're open to other brands, as others mentioned I think the Sportsmatch are hard to beat. They seem sturdier than the Talleys, but that said I've never broken 1 Pc Talleys either.

Milled Talleys, a la 16bore’s dad.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I agree. Whittaker’s sells them.
If you want a 1” scope with a 40 mm objective as low as possible, go with either the milled Talley lows, or unmilled Talley extra lows as they are both the same height. I’m running a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 scope in extra lows with Butler Creek caps on it with no issues. I’ve also run Leupold 2.5-8x36 and 3.5-10x40 with no issues. It will also fit a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 without issue. If you want the scope to sit a little higher, regular lows will also work. It really depends on you and how the rifle fits.

How do the Leupold PRW2's compare? I got talked into mounting 20 oz scope on a lightweight t3x 338 with these and a pic rail. The PRW2's are definitely heavy as the rings alone are 4.7 oz plus the pic rail. Could the sportmatch rings hold as strong without the pic rail?
Milled Talley Lows should fit up to a 44mm objective. Each scope and barrel is slightly different, but it shouldn’t touch the barrel. The milled Talleys look good on a T3/T3x as well.
The way I see it, the integrated dove tail is there for a reason.......mount your rings directly to it and forget the rails, bases, etc. Can't see how adding extra parts to the "system" will result in stronger mounts than going directly to the rail. YMMV.
I have Sportsmatch on both by T3 and T1X. No complaints.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The way I see it, the integrated dove tail is there for a reason.......mount your rings directly to it and forget the rails, bases, etc. Can't see how adding extra parts to the "system" will result in stronger mounts than going directly to the rail. YMMV.

Yep you are adding addt'l failure points by using a rail and rings vs what the sports match offers.
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner

How do the Leupold PRW2's compare? I got talked into mounting 20 oz scope on a lightweight t3x 338 with these and a pic rail. The PRW2's are definitely heavy as the rings alone are 4.7 oz plus the pic rail. Could the sportmatch rings hold as strong without the pic rail?

The problem or weak link in your set up is not the rings it's the picatinny base. the link that I put in my last post was a base that eliminates most of the problem (it has an integral recoil lug). The up side for that base and rings is adjustability, you can do 0 MOA like the sportmatch or 10,20,30,40 added MOA plus with the signature zee rings you have adjustable windage as well and no ring marks on your scope. The sportmatch is a good solid ring set up it just has no adjustability and a possibility of leaving ring marks.
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner

The problem or weak link in your set up is not the rings it's the picatinny base. the link that I put in my last post was a base that eliminates most of the problem (it has an integral recoil lug). The up side for that base and rings is adjustability, you can do 0 MOA like the sportmatch or 10,20,30,40 added MOA plus with the signature zee rings you have adjustable windage as well and no ring marks on your scope. The sportmatch is a good solid ring set up it just has no adjustability and a possibility of leaving ring marks.

I should have specified, the pic rail that is mounted does have the integral recoil lug that is specific to the T3x, so I believe it would be identical to the mountain tactical rail you referenced (minus the extended length).
Extra low Talley's for a 40mm objective. Never had a problem with them in numerous Tikka T3/T3x rifles. Optilock's are a little too high and heavy for my taste with a 40mm objective scope.
i also prefer a rail and rings setup on my tikka's. i like the steel warne weaver one piece rail and burris signature zee rings with the posi-align inserts.
good luck,
Big Ed
I use the Warne Tikka-specific QR rings. Replace the QR hardware with a regular old SHCS and washer so it can't get knocked loose. The rings clamp to the dovetail and include a recoil pin to engage the hole in the receiver. About the most bomb-proof setup I've seen. You can take the scope off and reinstall it with RTZ and no hassle with releveling it. And it's low, because you don't have the unnecessary added height of a rail.
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
I use the Warne Tikka-specific QR rings. Replace the QR hardware with a regular old SHCS and washer so it can't get knocked loose. The rings clamp to the dovetail and include a recoil pin to engage the hole in the receiver. About the most bomb-proof setup I've seen. You can take the scope off and reinstall it with RTZ and no hassle with releveling it. And it's low, because you don't have the unnecessary added height of a rail.

I like the sportsmatch for many of the same reasons; I’m not a big fan of vertical split rings but those do look like they would work well.
Just checked out the Sportsmatch, as I hadn't heard of them. Waaaay too tall for the scopes I like to use.
Just checked out the Sportsmatch, as I hadn't heard of them. Waaaay too tall for the scopes I like to use.

To tall?
Sportsmatch is one of the lowest mounts possible on the Tikka action.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Either Sportsmatch or Sako/Tikka Ringmounts.
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I agree. Whittaker’s sells them.

Yes, this is what I have in mine. It's a 7-08
Originally Posted by Northman

To tall?

Looking at https://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/products, I don't see anything lower than the TO48C Medium with a 17mm "A" dimension. The picture looks taller than what you have. What p/n did you use, and where are they available?

Or are you using a 30mm scope? I found those lows with an "A" of 13mm.
Originally Posted by Northman

To tall?

Looking at https://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/products, I don't see anything lower than the TO48C Medium with a 17mm "A" dimension. The picture looks taller than what you have. What p/n did you use, and where are they available?

This is where I buy em

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sportsmatch-TO84-30mm-suits-TIKKA-15mm-dovetails-early-Brno-15mm-eg-Model-2/302359501564?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Did some quick searching, found reports of the 1" medium Sportsmatch rings being ~14.7-ish from the top of the rail to the bottom of the tube.

Warnes LINKY are 11.7mm. That 1/8 inch matters a bit to me.
Did some quick searching, found reports of the 1" medium Sportsmatch rings being ~14.7-ish from the top of the rail to the bottom of the tube.

Warnes LINKY are 11.7mm. That 1/8 inch matters a bit to me.

It may be a good idea for you to quit reading specs and listen to those who actually use them.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
© 24hourcampfire