Home
Posted By: brinky72 Cheap 6.5 Creedmoor truck gun - 08/26/20
Looking for real world experience with either a Ruger American or Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor. I have owned an Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor that had a Timney trigger and it shot well. Looking to see how the Ruger compares. I’m looking for an simple,accurate durable, no frills 6.5. Michigan allows a centerfire under .269” for night time varmint hunting so a 6.5 Creedmoor fits the bill and I’m looking for a decent shooter for around $500. Thinking this might be a flip of a coin between the two.
I have a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and I bedded the forearm to stiffen it up, other than that, it is about factory. I did cut a coil off the trigger spring to get the trigger weight down. I took factory Hornady 120 ELD-M and went to 1000 yards with it. Of course I did put a scope on it....
Oh, I guess I should add that I liked it so well (for a cheap gun) that I bought the exact same rifle in 6 MM Creedmoor but this one takes the AI mags. The 6.5 uses the factory rotary mag. If I were buying new I would go the AI mag route. That was not an option when I bought my 6.5
For that price, you're going to get a lot more bang for buck from a Winchester XPR. Same barrel and trigger as M70s, teflon coated bolt, already has their version of Cerakoat, etc. I had a standard length 6.5cm that shot Hornady SST 129s very, very well. Mine was just black, but they come in all kinds of camo patterns now, too.
I like my Ruger Predator a lot. Stupid accurate for a rifle I paid $350 for. They are over $400 now. But I don't completely trust the magazines. I think Tikka is worth the extra money, about $600 in blue and you see them closer to $500 at times.
Posted By: Dre Re: Cheap 6.5 Creedmoor truck gun - 08/26/20
Lots of options
Tc venture or compass are know shooters.
I don’t care for the RAR, I know people love them.
There are or were some sales on sauer 100 and that’s a lot of gun for the money.
Weatherby vanguard .
Mauser M18 for 399 last time I saw on sale. Great reviews
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
For that price, you're going to get a lot more bang for buck from a Winchester XPR. Same barrel and trigger as M70s, teflon coated bolt, already has their version of Cerakoat, etc. I had a standard length 6.5cm that shot Hornady SST 129s very, very well. Mine was just black, but they come in all kinds of camo patterns now, too.

I bought an XPR a few months ago, but haven't shot it yet. Was going to buy an M18 or Sauer XT, but went for the Winchester instead. For a budget rifle, I think it's actually pretty nice but mine doesn't have the Perma-Cote. I paid $350 and Winchester had a $50 rebate at the time. They processed the rebate really quick, with good communication. IIRC, I had a check in less than a week. Right now, there's a $25 rebate.

The stock on the XPR is quite a bit stiffer than the RAR that I had. I think the trigger is better than the factory RAR or 700 too. The rifling looks much better than the 700 rifles that I've looked at. Bedding luggette and magazine are similar to the Tikka. Fat bolt like an RAR, and easy to disassemble for cleaning. Safety locks the bolt. The bolt stop appears to handle impacts, not the pin. And it looks like there's decent primary extraction, but I'm not an expert at evaluating that so much. Feeding and ejecting dummies seems fine.

My only complaint is that the 60 degree bolt lift is a little heavy, compared to say a 700. Not a big deal for the intended use though. And mag OAL for L/A is sufficient, but not extended.

Assuming it shoots, this might become my favorite beater rifle grin
I didn't realize they made a version without the perms-coate, though some of them are just coated flat black and you'd never know it just from looking.
White paper towel wiped along the barrel, turned rust red. No different than some other blued barrels. Not a deal breaker, as I'll just apply Dyna Gun Shield.

I think their advertising is a little misleading, as I thought that all models had Perma-Cote. But if you check out their website carefully, they don't list it for the standard model. Just matte blued.
Weatherguard V2 or Compact V2 or regular V2 or Mossberg Patriot or RAR-P?
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

I bought an XPR a few months ago, but haven't shot it yet. Was going to buy an M18 or Sauer XT, but went for the Winchester instead. For a budget rifle, I think it's actually pretty nice but mine doesn't have the Perma-Cote. I paid $350 and Winchester had a $50 rebate at the time. They processed the rebate really quick, with good communication. IIRC, I had a check in less than a week. Right now, there's a $25 rebate.

The stock on the XPR is quite a bit stiffer than the RAR that I had. I think the trigger is better than the factory RAR or 700 too. The rifling looks much better than the 700 rifles that I've looked at. Bedding luggette and magazine are similar to the Tikka. Fat bolt like an RAR, and easy to disassemble for cleaning. Safety locks the bolt. The bolt stop appears to handle impacts, not the pin. And it looks like there's decent primary extraction, but I'm not an expert at evaluating that so much. Feeding and ejecting dummies seems fine.

My only complaint is that the 60 degree bolt lift is a little heavy, compared to say a 700. Not a big deal for the intended use though. And mag OAL for L/A is sufficient, but not extended.

Assuming it shoots, this might become my favorite beater rifle grin

The ergs of the XPR stocks don't work for me, so my throw-away 6.5 Creedmoor is a Mossberg Patriot that came in a matte gray Cerakote finish.
Originally Posted by brinky72
Looking for real world experience with either a Ruger American or Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor. I have owned an Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor that had a Timney trigger and it shot well. Looking to see how the Ruger compares. I’m looking for an simple,accurate durable, no frills 6.5. Michigan allows a centerfire under .269” for night time varmint hunting so a 6.5 Creedmoor fits the bill and I’m looking for a decent shooter for around $500. Thinking this might be a flip of a coin between the two.

I have a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendel... I'm working with it, but am not impressed... paided $449 for it... 10 Round mag is standard..Metal work finish internally is rough

I picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor in a T/C Compass... for $200 on sale... I am very impressed with it...and its very accurate, well made ( good Q/C) feeds real well, especially compared to the Ruger Grendel...

Liked it enough and for $200, I picked up another for a disabled Marine Buddy again...picked him up a 223 Howa Mini a few years back from Short Action Smoker...
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The ergs of the XPR stocks don't work for me, so my throw-away 6.5 Creedmoor is a Mossberg Patriot that came in a matte gray Cerakote finish.

XPR seems pretty generic in terms of ergos. What doesn't "work"?
Originally Posted by 4th_point

XPR seems pretty generic in terms of ergos. What doesn't "work"?

The usual, fit and feel.
Compass for sure on the cheap, but a Vanguard would be super. I'm in the just can't like the RAR group, though I try and try and try again. $500? Hmmm.... IMO a Vanguard is a huge advancement over an Axis or RAR, a real forever rifle.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Compass for sure on the cheap, but a Vanguard would be super. I'm in the just can't like the RAR group, though I try and try and try again. $500? Hmmm.... IMO a Vanguard is a huge advancement over an Axis or RAR, a real forever rifle.

Agreed, lots more value in a $550 V2 than from a sub-$400 whatever.

Back in 02/20 Barrels and Arrows in Marshall, MN, was selling stainless Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM for $380, too good a price not to buy one.
Compass for $234 after rebate. Free shipping.

https://images.kygunco.com/Follow_Your_Compass/v1/Follow-Your-Compass.html

16.5" threaded 9 twist compact 223? Hmmmm.
Bought a used Tikka t3x in 6.5 c with Tikka rings $450 put a used 3x9 bushnell banner bc on it for $40 that cheap enough? What a lot of people need are used rifles without paper trails.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Bought a used Tikka t3x in 6.5 c with Tikka rings $450 put a used 3x9 bushnell banner bc on it for $40 that cheap enough? What a lot of people need are used rifles without paper trails.

What advantage is there to "no paper trails" unless you think that the firearm was stolen or if you are planning to commit a crime with it?
Well Jeff I think americans who are legally able to own a firearm should be able to do person to person transfer without any paperwork or government approval whatsoever. Mb
Posted By: z1r Re: Cheap 6.5 Creedmoor truck gun - 08/28/20
My two cents, the least expensive 6.5 Creed I have is a Weatherby Vanguard, got it second hand, like new. A tack driver and IMO, a perfect truck gun. Paid $325 with rings and bases. A bargain!
Well Jeff I think americans who are legally able to own a firearm should be able to do person to person transfer without any paperwork or government approval whatsoever. Mb

I agree, but private sellers have no legal obligation to determine the person to whom they are selling a firearm can legally own it. You might care and I might care, but not everyone does. I sell personal firearms to people who I know, but I provide them with a bill of sale and I keep a record of the transaction. If a person sells a firearm to a convicted felon and that felon uses the firearm in the commission of a crime, the seller could very well find himself/herself facing both criminal and civil actions. Not worth the risk to me, but I have more to lose than many.

I own all three of the above mentioned and agree with us entirely. The Weatherby feels like a rifle, stock, action, drop floor plate, bolt, trigger, the whole deal....not much plastic. Ruger should either start a hardwood option or drop the price, those stocks are worse than the axis stock.
It shouldn't be any of the government's f ukking business to know which citizen has what.
Originally Posted by z1r
My two cents, the least expensive 6.5 Creed I have is a Weatherby Vanguard, got it second hand, like new. A tack driver and IMO, a perfect truck gun. Paid $325 with rings and bases. A bargain!

A V2 purchased for $325 is more than just a bargain.

My first 6.5 CM was one of a special run that Weatherby made for Cabela's back in 2014. It is the most accurate out of the box centerfire rifle that I've yet to own.
Posted By: z1r Re: Cheap 6.5 Creedmoor truck gun - 08/28/20
Originally Posted by bmoney

I own all three of the above mentioned and agree with us entirely. The Weatherby feels like a rifle, stock, action, drop floor plate, bolt, trigger, the whole deal....not much plastic. Ruger should either start a hardwood option or drop the price, those stocks are worse than the axis stock.

Yeah, funny thing, my 16 YO said the exact same thing about the Vanguard, said it felt right. He liked the fit, feel, and ergonomics. That fact that it is a real shooter is icing on the cake.
Originally Posted by mathman
It shouldn't be any of the government's f ukking business to know which citizen has what.

Even if that citizen is a convicted felon?

Convicted felons don't have natural rights? Why do we bother to keep them alive, then? Isn't it slavery to have no natural rights? Isn't slavery unlawful? Seems awfully hypocritical to me.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Convicted felons don't have natural rights? Why do we bother to keep them alive, then? Isn't it slavery to have no natural rights? Isn't slavery unlawful? Seems awfully hypocritical to me.

Did I say that convicted felons should be kept alive?

I think that anyone convicted of the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony where death occurs should be publicly hanged by the neck until dead in the zip code where the crime took place.
Geebus, another thread shot to hell. Come on guys. Most of us aren't felons . LOL
Jeff last I knew convicted felons can't legally own guns. Looking at a 4473 some misdemeanors will get you rejected also. My key words are still the same people who can legally own a firearm should be able to do person to person transfers without the government sticking it's nose in your business. I'll allways think that way. Mb
Jeff last I knew convicted felons can't legally own guns. Looking at a 4473 some misdemeanors will get you rejected also. My key words are still the same people who can legally own a firearm should be able to do person to person transfers without the government sticking it's nose in your business. I'll allways think that way. Mb
I

You have a right to your way of thinking and I have a right to mine.
Geebus, another thread shot to hell. Come on guys. Most of us aren't felons . LOL

'Sorry, I didn't intend to hijack this thread.
To the OP: I have a Marlin 6.5 CM and a 260. Both with an Accu Trigger type trigger and both in synthetic stocks. $450 - your choice.

The CM is throated and on a long action. If you are not a handloader, stay away from this one.

'Sorry, I didn't intend to hijack this thread.

Didn't say you did, hiJack, just shot it, LOL.. FTF off the books is good chit any damned day though. MAGA. Besides, I'm about convinced to buy another Compass I don't need!
Yep...All citizens have the right to keep and bear arms without infringement. The 2nd doesn't say anything about getting gov't approval or a background check. Anybody who doesn't like it should get the fuuck out. Go live in China or some other place where citizens don't have the right to bear arms and your candy ass can feel safe. Goddam Fudds who can't read and understand plain english are why we have so many infringements to our rights already.

Holy shyt I thought the right to self defense was a God given/natural right ? That's what the pro 2A crowd always proclaims. Must be bullshyt as men/governments could't take away a God given/natural right.
#truckgunrightsbygod
https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/24416/weatherby+vanguard+s2+youth+65+crd

Man! Felons gave up that right when they pulled the trigger(Not meant literally). It's called the rule of law.
#felongaveitback2godman
I bought the patriot predator as a truck gun and because I wanted to try a creed and at my local shop he had it priced less than $300. Easy sub MOA with most loads. I like the stock more than the other budget guns. I duracoated it and it checks all the boxes for a cheap gun that shoot well reliably and I won’t cry if it gets signed up in the process.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Mauser-M1...c-5rd-Mag-Bolt-Action-Rifle-M18065C.aspx

Just over 4 bills.
Wow. Two threads in one. I'll join the OP's portion. You could do worse than a Ruger American Predator. It won't win beauty contests and, yes, I know all of the shortcomings. If you truly just want a beater truck gun that is very accurate, I would suggest the Ruger American Predator. I, like many above, do prefer the Vanguard, especially the S2. If I were to choose between each of these for the same money, Vanguard S2 all day long. However, three of the Ruger American Predators I have owned in 6.5 Creedmoor have been three of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Thanks for all the information and, the entertainment. I’m also of the conviction (pun not intended) that big brother doesn’t need to know my business but that’s a whole different topic. I kind of find it interesting that the libs want to defund the police and are looking to dissolve the 2nd amendment. Kinda putting the cart in front of the horse. Not sure what their plan is when there are no cops left to collect the guns.
Compass for $234 after rebate. Free shipping.

https://images.kygunco.com/Follow_Your_Compass/v1/Follow-Your-Compass.html

16.5" threaded 9 twist compact 223? Hmmmm.

I handled one of those little compact 223's today and was pleased to see it marked 223/5.56mm so you could use whatever old ball ammo you have sitting around will work fine in it. Also like that the stock spacer was included to bring it up to daddy length. Should make an outstanding tractor gun.
Ruger predator 6.5 Freakmoor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Fotis

Great advice from Fotis!
Savage Hog Hunter in 338 Federal

That’s about ideal.
Both would be a fine truck gun.
Originally Posted by brinky72

That’s about ideal.

RAR-Ps are good shooting rifles, I currently have 15 of them, But I don't care for the stock ergs, specifically the comb height. Changing comb height can be as easy and inexpensive as the purchase and installation of a comb riser kit or as expensive as a whole new stock. When I started buying RAR-Ps back in 2015, I swapped out several of the stocks for Boyds Heritage style laminated stocks. That cost a couple hundred $$ and added a full 16 ounces to the weight of the package, but the improved ergs more than off-set the additional weight for me. A lot of people accommodate themselves to a poorly fitting long gun, but I am not one of those people, even when it comes to cheap truck guns.
My beater 6.5man-bun is also my beater .223 coyote rifle.

TC Dimension.

Stock looks funky, but the 5r barrels shoot and the trigger doesn't suck.

That’s amazing. I’m getting 2940 from a PRC shooting 56g rl26 out of a 22 inch barrel. Haven’t tried much more than that. But right now I’m not push it.
Sauer 100 XT 6.5 CM $499

This or the Mauser 18 linked above would be my choice for +/- $500.

The TC Compass for $234 after rebate would be great if they had any in stock.

Yes.
Originally Posted by DeoVindice

Yes.

Agreed Deo!
This Howa would be quite nifty, pick a stock.

Howa 6.5 Creedmoor

Originally Posted by Rossimp

Howa 6.5 Creedmoor

I have a Howa 6.5CM

I need to buy her a lighter, svelter stock.

She's a thick, heavy beotch

Howa 6.5 Creedmoor

For about $20 more a person could buy a complete Howa 1500 rifle in 6.5 CM from WeitzerFirearms via their ad on GB. It would be the standard rifle with a 22" #2 contour barrel, not he 20" #1 contour barrel like the barreled action from Brownells, so it would be a little longer and a little heavier.

Howa 6.5 Creedmoor

For about $20 more a person could buy a complete Howa 1500 rifle in 6.5 CM from WeitzerFirearms via their ad on GB. It would be the standard rifle with a 22" #2 contour barrel, not he 20" #1 contour barrel like the barreled action from Brownells, so it would be a little longer and a little heavier.

Link to said GB posting...? I don’t see it anywhere on GB.
Decent price here: https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/hunting-rifles/thompson-center-compass-6-5-creedmoor.html

If the barrel is anything like my Dimension's it'll shoot really well.
Originally Posted by Wesley2

Howa 6.5 Creedmoor

Link to said GB posting...? I don’t see it anywhere on GB.

It was there yesterday, one of those here today gone tomorrow things.

Try contacting the seller directly, Weitzer Firearms in Colleyville, TX, 214-477-4779
© 24hourcampfire