Home
Posted By: 444Matt Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
I don’t see a lot of these, either in person or talked about much here. Who owns one and how do you like it? Any issues to look for? Thinking of a 30-06 or 270 and a Z3 3-9x36
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
I love the one I have
Posted By: borden811 Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
I’ve got one in .257 Roberts, and don’t have a single complaint. Light, accurate, looks good. What’s not to love!?
I’d like one in .270 Win. Thinking of selling/trading my .308 84M or my .260 84M for one.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
My .257 Roberts is about a perfect deer/antelope rifle I think.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My .30-06 with a piglet. It is more finicky than the Roberts, but we found a load around an inch that works. Will carry it on horseback elk hunt in a month.

Both bought used off of gunbroker.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
Cheesy ,

Nice wood on those
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
For the most part they are great. Unfortunately the more recent “Select” wood is only slightly a step up from a pine 2x4. If you want one with great wood, you’ll likely have to look around quite a bit and see pics of the exact rifle you’re buying. If buying new and unseen, your chances of winning the wood lottery are pretty slim based on quite a few newer examples I’ve seen both advertised and in person, especially the “French” walnut. There have been some really nice ones which have come up for sale here pre-loved, which also benefit from the knowledge of being proven shooters, if you want to go that way.

That being said, Kimber has reduced production of some of their models since their move to AL, and said at one point that they were no longer going to produce wood stocked rifles. Strangely they came out with the limited run of 6.5 Creed Classics not long after that announcement, so who really knows.

Good luck with your search.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
Kimber rifles not talked about much on this site? Really? They are one if the most popular rifles on the campfire and desrvedly so, These are fantastic rifles! If you buy one I bet you love it like no other....Good luck.....Hb
Posted By: JGray Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by borden811
I’ve got one in .257 Roberts, and don’t have a single complaint. Light, accurate, looks good. What’s not to love!?

Same here...
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
Well it will be sight unseen so I know I’m rolling the dice on wood appearances. I got a 12 month zero interest deal from the Base exchange with a star card. Lol haven’t used the star card in years but going to now. I just have to get them to find one at their distributors and gave it shipped.
Posted By: 257James Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
I have one in 257 Roberts, one in 280 AI, and a third in 30-06.....love them all. I agree on the current handles looking just a bit better than a pine 2x4, but if you search long enough, you can find a nice one.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
Sight unseen, odds are this is the wood you’re going to get.

Posted By: blairvt Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by Cheesy

that walnut?
Posted By: K22 Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/02/20
I have one in 7 08 and love it. My wood is not as nice as Cheesy's , but its not real plain looking either.

Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/03/20
Originally Posted by blairvt

that walnut?

A Grade French Walnut. They say so themselves...
Posted By: Cattledog Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/03/20
Some good looking wood here. I've seen a few Classics (non-Select) with good wood and darker color, while Select's I've noticed tend to be lighter color. Can anyone verify this, or is it just differences in cameras / lighting ?

Thanks
CD
Posted By: 257James Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/03/20
Classics were Claro Walnut versus the Classic Selects French Walnut. A couple I no longer have sick A 308 surrounded by a couple of 257s
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/03/20
K22,

Nice!
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/03/20
Honestly I haven’t seen a Classic or Classic Select with wood I would consider ugly, but I’m not as picky as some are.
Posted By: Cattledog Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/03/20
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Classics were Claro Walnut versus the Classic Selects French Walnut. A couple I no longer have sick A 308 surrounded by a couple of 257s

Thank you 257Deland, that explains it.
Nice rifles, wood on those two are exceptional. I couldn’t have let that 308 out of the stable...
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/03/20

I have a very high level of butthurt with Kimber for absolutely ignoring the LH (albeit small) market. Gorgeous rifles. My butthurt carries on. laugh
Posted By: K22 Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/03/20
Originally Posted by BobBrown
K22,

Nice!

Thanks BobBrown.
All 4 of my Classics have had great wood. Not AAA of course but I like to tell folks that if they were any nicer I wouldn’t want to hunt with them and any uglier I wouldn’t want to own them. When I bought my first Classic in .308 I was looking for a 7-08 and found both together in a little gun shop. The 7-08 had less pretty figure so I went with the.308 that was much better. At the time I figured I’d found my perfect mountain rifle. I still think it’s my perfect mountain rifle.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/03/20
Originally Posted by BobBrown
I love the one I have

As do I. A true featherweight.
I've been looking for a Select in 7-08, with a nice hunk of wood for awhile now. The search continues.

Or a 280AI that I would shorten to 22"

I have a Montana in 7-08 and 257 Roberts. Very happy with both.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/04/20
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I've been looking for a Select in 7-08, with a nice hunk of wood for awhile

Same here, but in .270
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/04/20
I spent 2+ years looking for my Roberts. Paying the wood premium hurt at the time. Doesn’t bother me now.
Posted By: Benben Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/04/20
I have a 280 AI. I looked a long time for one with nice wood, and hunted with it for a year. Then I sold it to Nyrifleman. I immediately regretted selling it, and he was kind enough to sell it back to me a year or two later. I love it.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/04/20
Mines a 25/06. Love it. Shoots less than an inch with Barnes ttsx and tsx, nice and trim in the grip. Carries well, handles great.

Posted By: RifleDude Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/04/20
Classics were Claro Walnut versus the Classic Selects French Walnut.

Initially, Kimber offered a choice of either AA French with ebony forend tip or AAA Claro with no forend tip in the Classic Select. Apparently, a lower grade of French with added forend tip vs a higher grade of Claro had similar cost. Eventually, Kimber discontinued the AAA Claro Selects in favor of the French walnut versions, obviously to simplify production variations and supply chain. Then, they later reduced the French walnut grade to A. The view there, whether right or wrong, was that French walnut of any grade is considered a "step up" from black or Claro walnut. Really nice walnut in general is in much shorter supply today than it used to be a couple decades ago, and few factory rifles of any brand come stocked with pretty wood anymore, unless you're willing to pay a premium to get it. It's a shame, but the reality of the market.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/04/20
Originally Posted by Benben
I have a 280 AI. I looked a long time for one with nice wood, and hunted with it for a year. Then I sold it to Nyrifleman. I immediately regretted selling it, and he was kind enough to sell it back to me a year or two later. I love it.

That is a beautiful rifle!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 09/04/20
Had one in .270 Win. MOA or better with Nosler factory 130gr AB cartridges and Leupold 6x on top. Wood was a bit plain for my tastes. Gave it to a grandson for graduation present. He was pleased...
Posted By: hanco Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 03/27/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Mines a 25/06. Love it. Shoots less than an inch with Barnes ttsx and tsx, nice and trim in the grip. Carries well, handles great.

That is nice.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/16/23
Sorry for resurrecting an old post but had a question about the 84M Classic Select Grades I’ve seen some old posts from other sites talking about Kimber 84M issues like light firing pin strikes, feeding, extraction issues. Is this something Kimber fixed years ago and the Classic Select Grades have better quality control or we are still seeing these issues with the Select Grades?
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/16/23
AAA French 257Rob & 308...both departed. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Woodzloafer Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/16/23
Originally Posted by sqweeler
AAA French 257Rob & 308...both departed. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Why are they "departed", did you have issues with them? Thank you.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/16/23
Just made way for other thing's.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/17/23
How many years were the 84M Classic Select Grades in production?
When were they discontinued or are they still being made?
Posted By: Denver257 Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/17/23
Originally Posted by GAGoober
How many years were the 84M Classic Select Grades in production?
When were they discontinued or are they still being made?
Only part of that I can answer is that kimber is not currently producing any wood stock rifles, I wanted a classic select in 257 Roberts and have been checking for any production for the last year, checked for the last time about 30 days ago with no change and then found the exact one I was looking for in near perfect condition with excellent wood at the Tulsa show. Quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles. Already owned a hunter model in 257 and in 280ai, very happy with all my kimber’s!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/17/23
Sorry for resurrecting an old post but had a question about the 84M Classic Select Grades I’ve seen some old posts from other sites talking about Kimber 84M issues like light firing pin strikes, feeding, extraction issues. Is this something Kimber fixed years ago and the Classic Select Grades have better quality control or we are still seeing these issues with the Select Grades?

I’m not an expert, just have the 2 Classic Selects pictured above as well as a Classic in .308 I bought used off the classifieds here in 2007.

My .30-06 required some tweaking to get consistent ejection. No other issues on the 3.

The issues you mention seem to all be tweaks that can be fixed based on the Kimber “tweaking” tutorial floating around here. Maybe somebody will link to it or I might when sitting at a computer.

There seem to be two camps of Kimber owners. Those of us that absolutely love them. And those that think they’re a steaming pile of crap.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/17/23

I’m not an expert, just have the 2 Classic Selects pictured above as well as a Classic in .308 I bought used off the classifieds here in 2007.

My .30-06 required some tweaking to get consistent ejection. No other issues on the 3.

The issues you mention seem to all be tweaks that can be fixed based on the Kimber “tweaking” tutorial floating around here. Maybe somebody will link to it or I might when sitting at a computer.

There seem to be two camps of Kimber owners. Those of us that absolutely love them. And those that think they’re a steaming pile of crap.

I have a Classic Select in 30-06 very nice rifles. No problems with mine what so ever. Mine shoots 1/2MOA with q68 TTSX and 64 grains of Ramshot Hunter in RP cases and chronographs at 2950 FPS
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/17/23
Own three Kimbers: a 270 WSM Mountain Ascent, a 257 Bob in a 84M Hunter and a 7mm-08 Classic Select in French Walnut.

All shoot around 1/2" or better with the Classic easily shooting better. Though YMMV I've had no issues with any of them.

Pictures don't do the Classic Select justice:

If someone were to post the Kimber Tweaks thread that would be appreciated
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/17/23
I have just one Kimber, It's an 84-M in 308 Winchester. I'm blessed, it has nice wood and shoots great too.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/17/23
I have a Classic with Claro wood in 338 WM. I haven't shot it yet but I think it's going to be a boomer since it's so light.
Classic Select 30-06, 168 TTSX, 64 grains Ramshot Hunter.

200 yard group

Shooting platform

Posted By: 69sportfury Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/17/23
Originally Posted by jwp475

200 yard group

]

You missed the quarter ;-)
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Originally Posted by jwp475

200 yard group

]

You missed the quarter ;-)

No quarters were injured in the making of these pictures. We surrounded and cut the quarters escape route off. The quarter was taken into custody without anyone being injured
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/18/23
Originally Posted by olgrouser
If someone were to post the Kimber Tweaks thread that would be appreciated

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...486078/Montana_tinkering....#Post8486078
Posted By: wildfire45 Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/18/23
My main big game/ western rifle is an 84L Classic in .30-06. Love the rifle and have taken elk, antelope and deer with it but I have noticed that over the years of carrying it the finish on the stock has dulled considerably especially around the action (balance point) when hand carrying. This is the darker, apparently Claro walnut. Mine has a nice piece of wood but certainly not exhibition grade.

I would like to spruce up the finish again, not looking for high gloss just back to newer looking. Anyone done this without a full restore? Tips on products to use? I'm debating between a wax or Tru-oil rub. The bottom metal and trigger guard have also faded around the edges to a sort of grey patina that I think looks great, no desire to change that as it looks like what it is, a well loved and hard hunted classic American hunting rifle. Mine loves 150 ttsx's and is doing well with Hornady's 180 CX Outfitter line.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Kimber Classic Select? - 04/18/23
Thx Cheesy!
© 24hourcampfire