Home

In the event that I'm too busy right now to set up my bench, and dont see much slowing down anytime soon, how good (or bad) are the Barnes Vortex prerolls.?šŸ˜
Buddy uses 180 grains in his 30-06. Accurate and elk don't like it. I've used them in a 300 win mag but accuracy wasn't fantastic.
I have used the 150 and 168 in my Tikka T3 308, both shoot very well and kill stuff fine.

mike r
150's in my 308 work/shoot great!! I stock up when SW has them on sale. They shoot as good as anything I reload.
They work well. Iā€™ve got a hunting buddy that is all he will shoot, regardless did he is hunting bear or caribou. Two weeks ago, my son got a decent caribou using my old .30-06 and 168 gr Barnes TTSX.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Buddy uses 180 grains in his 30-06. Accurate and elk don't like it. I've used them in a 300 win mag but accuracy wasn't fantastic.

I could not get them to shoot worth a flip in my 300 WM or 270 WSM. Now the .308 and .30-06 they shooter great in.
Buddy uses the 168 TTSX 30-06 from his weatherby.

Deadly on elk!
I use the them in a variety of calibers and taken
243 the 85 TTX and the 80 TTXS = 1 pronghorn
280 140 TTXS
7-08 120 TTXS 1 5x5 bull and 3x3 blacktail
300 WSM 165 both TXS and TTXS 17 elk, mostly bulls
300 Win 165 TTXS 1 6x6 bull and one 4x3 buck
338 Win 225 TSX 1 bull
The 338, an old Ruger tanger, shoots silver dollar size groups, the others around quarter size groups.
I think I recovered 1 bullets, a 165 from the 300 WSM Montana that went in the front of the chest and stuck in the back hindquarter.
I bought a box of 140gr tsx bt for the wifeā€™s 270 wsm they shot under an inch. I also tried some 50gr tsx fb out of both my fast and slow twist 22-250s and they both also shot them well. Although the 22-250 brass had some corrosion on them when I opened the box... nothing a little steel wool didnā€™t take care of though. I have heard of other people having some issues with qc stuff. There was a thread on here a while ago about it.

Well, those reports are leaning toward the positive side.

Thank you Gentlemen.
I used the 85gr 243 load on a spike last year. Shot it quartering away at 100 ish yards. Stevie Wonder could follow the blood trail easily. Worked perfectly.
Have used them in 30-06, 308, 7-08 and several of those loads shot in the .3-.4 range, most were well under one moa in rifles that liked them.
Used them for a little while in my 243 (80's), didn't like them. Pretty accurate but the petals sheared off really fast and the rest penciled through on a blacktail. Shot a wolf with them too, center punched it in the chest and never recovered it. Not sure what caliber you are looking for though. Sounds like the larger calibers work a little better. Nosler makes prerolls too.
The 100TTSX load shoots great in a 25-06 T3 but they are pretty slow. I have heard others say this also but hey, I will give up speed for accuracy in a factory load....
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Well, those reports are leaning toward the positive side.

Thank you Gentlemen.

Just remember, they owned by the same company that owns Remington.
Iā€™ve yet to own a rifle they shot well in.(tried in 2 different 30-30ā€™s a 30-06 and a 243) I donā€™t blame that on the ammo though. If my rifle shot it accurately Iā€™d hunt it with zero worries.
Originally Posted by 358wsm

In the event that I'm too busy right now to set up my bench, and dont see much slowing down anytime soon, how good (or bad) are the Barnes Vortex prerolls.?šŸ˜

The 150-grain 308 load is sub 0.5 MOA in my 700 308 at 2,886 fps.

Hard not to like that kind of performance.

Okie John
I reload for every rifle I have. I'm one who, when a really good sale occurs will grab some factory ammo. It's a cost effective way of obtaining new brass. Anyway, I came across a small store going-out-of-business sale several years ago and nabbed several boxes of Barnes Vor-TX 280 ammo with 140 grain tipped TSX. I've never been a huge Barnes bullets guy; but, these have been very accurate out of my 280.
Never have recovered a 168 ttsx from the ot6.
I like high break down shots.
Shoulder spine shoulder.
Have taken several head on below the white patch on neck and out the pelvic girdle shots
( nasty gutting out)

As " unethical" as it might sound.
I would take just about anyshot a WT buck presents knowing the bullet will punch thru vitals in a line that I can envision prior to the shot.

I really DGAF about meat damage.
That schit is urban legend over rated anyways.

JMO.......

In .30/06, I found the Barnes 168 grain TTSX to be a superb factory loading. 7/8" three shot groups at 200 yards (Blaser R93) which I could not equal with my handloads. I took that combo to Africa in 2018 and it was a an excellent performer on a cull hunt. It is now my "go to" .30/06 load.
I use them light for caliber is just about everything I hunt with. Always been very accurate and never failed to pass through.

The 130 gr. 308 TTSX is my go to walk around medicine in a Kimber adirondack sun 5# syringe. ā€œCuredā€ lots of critters with that combo.
My go to hunting round.
127 in the 6.5, 130 in the 270, and 168ttsx.
The faster they go the better they work.
My 06 has many elk on it with ttsx.
Originally Posted by Mjduct
I use them light for caliber is just about everything I hunt with. Always been very accurate and never failed to pass through.

The 130 gr. 308 TTSX is my go to walk around medicine in a Kimber adirondack sun 5# syringe. ā€œCuredā€ lots of critters with that combo.

I shoot that in my BLR. Deadly on deer. Damn near no recoil either
The 100 grain TTSX in .25-06 has killed a bunch of hogs, deer and a nice Axis for me so far. My fave in the .25-06.
Bob

Used 130gr TTSX in 270 to take aoudad and axis. Dall sheep at 450yds. Shoots moa in my Sako 85.
The 200 gr ttsx shoot great out of my tikka rebored to a 35 whelen. I shot an elk this weekend and there was no tracking.

Looks like Sierra is the new owner of Barnes.

Tried them in one .338.

Fed 250 partitions were more accurate so I moved on.

Might try again in the future. Might not.
I had lent out my Remington 700 in .30-06 to a friend a few years ago. Last year, he returned it sighted in for 150 gr. Barnes Vortex TTSX in 150 gr. I used that combo last year on a 170 yd shot on a medium sized Kentucky whitetail. Absolute hammer. Fortunately for me, he gave me a box and a half of ammo when he returned the rifle. I will be reordering it when the supply runs low.
Originally Posted by tkinak
150's in my 308 work/shoot great!!

I used that bullet in the VorTx factory ammo to great effect on a cull hunt overseas. Across a dozen deer & a sizable boar, there was nary a hiccup.

FC
Chose them (Barnes Vor-tx 120gr TTSX) as a light for caliber, reduced recoil load for my Wife's Savage Lady Hunter in 7mm-08.

She has dumped a pile of Canadian Whitetail & 1 bull moose with them.
I had lent out my Remington 700 in .30-06 to a friend a few years ago. Last year, he returned it sighted in for 150 gr. Barnes Vortex TTSX in 150 gr. I used that combo last year on a 170 yd shot on a medium sized Kentucky whitetail. Absolute hammer. Fortunately for me, he gave me a box and a half of ammo when he returned the rifle. I will be reordering it when the supply runs low.
Glad guys are having luck with this ammo. I havenā€™t been able to get it to shoot accurate for me. Extreme spread has been over 100 in all the loads I tried. Which could explain the accuracy issues. Itā€™s a hard pass for me on the vor-Tx ammo

Barnes is now owned by Sierra.
© 24hourcampfire