Home
I like Remington 798’s with the laminated stock. I have my eye 👁 one one in 270.
Nope. But did just get one back from the smith with a couple of mods. Remington 700 Classic in 300 Sav that was third in rotation for deer. Light mods - had a timney trigger installed and the barrel shortened from 24 to 22 inches with a recessed crown. I had already exorcised the J-lock several years ago. It actually shot very well, but trigger was "meh" and just wanted a little less barrel. Now need to get to the range and see what happens. So sort of like a new rifle.
Not new and not a hunting virgin, but only one antelope to its credit - a Ruger Hawkeye .280Rem. Plan to take it elk hunting.
Having a Dakota Varmint being made.
Got a bunch that need to be blooded. The newest one I have (or actually will have tomorrow) is one of the $250 Howas, but that one is a range toy for the time being. Made meat the last two years with my crossbow, so the rifles barely got an airing. Load work, for a couple anyway is done.
Hoping to hunt the Supergrade a little.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...78_AA7A_D1DD2C053A8C_IMG_6171.HEIC[/img]
I have a couple I'd like to try, if they shoot good out of the box. I won't have any time for load development.

700 CDL SF 257 Weatherby
Ruger Hawkeye African 280AI

Otherwise, I'll be using another 280AI. It's a Short Action Customs 700/Bartlein 3/Manners EH2 that is already dialed in.
Very late in December 2019 I decided I was bored after 20+ years of custom hunting rifles and handloading for them.

So after a little online education I headed down to the LGS and bought an over the counter CA Mesa in 6.5 Creed, and then wandered down the ammo aisle and picked up a selection of factory ammo offerings.

I've been really surprised (due mostly to my ignorance) with the quality of the rifle, and of the quality of some of the factory ammo offerings.

So, after some 300+ rounds later, I'll shortly be off to hunt camp with this combo to see what happens.

Perhaps after 2020 season I might just handload for it, but then again, maybe not.
Yep. A 25-284 will get its first taste of the woods this year.
GreggH
My 6.5 needs it’s cherry popped in couple weeks for deer opener.

Winchester M54, .30-30 Win., Lyman 48WJS.
Nope. Had my Walmart 270 I purchased in 1994 rebored by Cliff LaBounty less than a year later to 338-06. I dropped a decent bull, my first, outside Leadville early day one.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I had planned to take that rifle literally as I type to northern BC, outside Toad River. I has been moved to 2021.
Nope as well. I have too many rifles I bought last year to contend with.
Mauser 18 6.5 prc needs to go on it's first hunt, as does a ruger hawkeye std 3006.
No new rifles for me. I have enough for my needs and if I did get more guns I'd just give them to my grandkids after a year or so, and they have plenty now.
Well, you did say "new to you". How about a few 300 magnums? I got on this kick and collected a few 300 magnums last year.

1. One of my first 300 magnums, I got it back from my dad last summer:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2. 308 Norma magnum:

3. 300WSM Tikka t3 deluxe:

4. 300 WBY:
This is what I'll be hunting with come deer season. Remington 700 American Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Yup, 6mm Rem in a Ruger american and 25-06 in a ss M700 for 2 antelope tags. A M99EG in 300 Sav, 03A3 in 300win mag and another in 30-06 Ackley Imp., and an original Sharps in 45- 2.1 for 4 deer tags. Retired, like to hunt, shoot, and eat venison that simple.MB
At least one, a Weatherby VG2, chambered for 240 Wby. I have it zeroed with factory 80 grain TTSX.
bsa1917hunter, your 308 Norma Mag is a lot purtier than mine, and don't know the history with yours, but mine has so many stories it could tell if it could! For new, there's a WY stamped Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 257WBY or the Howa 1500 in 7mm-08 I just put into a Bansner stock.

308 NM [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] 257WBY [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

7mm-08 [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Or maybe the RAR in 7.62x39 for the Tamarack swamp in WI [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My “new to me” Steyr Prohunter Mountain in 30-06 will get hunted some this year. I hope to try it out on some pigs...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I’m going to try the Supergrade out this year I think.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...78_AA7A_D1DD2C053A8C_IMG_6171.HEIC[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...64_A9DA_23076FDE5BDE_IMG_6035.HEIC[/img]
Nope. I've made my 7mm-08 into the best that it can be. I can only use one at a time and a bunch of others sitting in the safe don't do me any good what so ever.
Yes. I should have in my possession a Ruger M77/44 by this weekend.
Yep, I picked up one of the new Sig Cross rifles to use on antelope through elk this year:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Even did some quick load development:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Things have changed a bit and I'm moving though, so I doubt I'll get to use it beyond a quick antelope hunt.... Next year though!
Last week I took my re-chambered .307 Win Marlin 336Y that John Boy painted for me to the range. Had to zero the Leupold Red Dot Sight. Fun as all heck to hear the bark from that 16 1/4" barrel! Plus, it put two Speer 150 grain FNs through the same hole at 50 yards. That's my swamp/thick cover rifle.

Last night I loaded some .358 Win necked up LC brass with 200 grain R-P Cor-Lokt PSP over IMR-3031. They'll be the first rounds down the barrel of the re-barreled S&W 1500 I "stole" off GB a month ago. I sent the bolt out to Tulsa for the Howa bolt recall. It's back and I'm good to go for the range. I'll mount a Burris Four X 1.5-6x42 with illuminated reticle on it this week. If it shoots well, it will be my hardwood ridge rifle.

Then there's the Remington 750 in .243 Win that is also a newcomer. I put a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36 on it in some Burris Zee rings. It will go to the range, but will probably have to fight it out for time in the woods. My gunsmith tells me the 750s have feeding issues. I'm not gonna chance it until it gets some good range time.

So I got them going for me, which is nice....
yup!

Merkel 141, 8 x 57 JRS

Should be hoglet thumping at its best!

ya!

GWB
Show off!!! Ya!
I've been at it so long that nothing much, rifle-wise, excites me much anymore. I may take the Geedubya route this year and hunt with a small-caliber double, just to make it more sporting.
Originally Posted by Biebs
Show off!!! Ya!

+2
I’ve already got three more than I need. I know, I know! Need doesn’t enter the thought, but the answer is no!
Originally Posted by hanco
Do you have your eye on a new or new to you rifle for hunting season??

Too late to get a new one this year's season.
Picked up a Vierordt DR in 8 X 65R Brenneke. It, along with several other vintage, century old rifles will be used this year. Different one every day and if I hut morning and evening, two a day.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Well, you did say "new to you". How about a few 300 magnums? I got on this kick and collected a few 300 magnums last year.

1. One of my first 300 magnums, I got it back from my dad last summer:

2. 308 Norma magnum:

3. 300WSM Tikka t3 deluxe:

4. 300 WBY:

I have two 300 Weatherby Kleinguenthers and a 300 Win mag 700 5R. You got me beat.
Originally Posted by geedubya
yup!

Merkel 141, 8 x 57 JRS

Should be hoglet thumping at its best!

ya!

GWB

More details please!
Looking to pick up either a Win 94 angle eject or a Marlin lever in ether .375win or .356win. Gonna put a Leupy 2.5-8x36 on it an raise hell on deer in the brush
AHR in 7mm Magnum
6x47Rem
Dakota 76 in 338-06
Merkel K1 German Stalking Rifle in 7x57R

Originally Posted by lastround
I’ve already got three more than I need. I know, I know! Need doesn’t enter the thought, but the answer is no!

I dont know if you can put a number on how many you really need.. 1 rifle for every day of the season. 1 rifle for each day in the month?

After some more range time my Tikka T3x in 7mm08 is going elk hunting soon and I just picked a a new 7-30 Waters in a G2 Contender for deer season.
Using my 28 Nosler rem 700 Proof barrel with 180 ELD's

well, if tikka has a rebate this year i have my eye on a 8 twist stainless 22-250 rem.............but i digress. anybody have a word on any tikka rebates for 2020 like they have had the previous couple yrs??
Big Ed
Originally Posted by whitearrow
well, if tikka has a rebate this year i have my eye on a 8 twist stainless 22-250 rem.............but i digress. anybody have a word on any tikka rebates for 2020 like they have had the previous couple yrs??
Big Ed

Oh thanks for reminding me. I may have to pickup a T3X Stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor, if they do offer them this year.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by hanco
Do you have your eye on a new or new to you rifle for hunting season??

Too late to get a new one this year's season.

I should buy a T3 30-06.
Custom model 70 in 6.5 creedmoor.

I've got a blueprinted 700 stainless LA with magnum bolt face and a Benchmark carbon wrapped 6.5 mm 7.5" twist barrel begging to he a .264 Win mag but no more fun money for now.
I have two that still need to be blooded- a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 x 55 and a Howa in 6.5 Creedmoor.

If I kill something with these, next in the rotation will be my late wife’s Kimber .243
I have a Stevens 200 I put a 6mm CM barrel on and am using suppressed. I'm sure I'll use it with 95 grain LRX on a doe antelope first week of October here in CO. I'm not sure I'll use it on my 4th season buck tag as the rifle weighs 10+ lbs and I won't have my Howa 6mm CM ready to hunt by then. Then I'll use my Stevens and RAR .300 BLK during OK rifle deer season. I've had the RAR .300 BLK for a few years, but this is my first year with a suppressor and the 6mm CM.
New to this deer season are Ruger #1's in 375 H&H, 405 Winchester, 450-400 NE a custom 300 H&H, 250 Savage and a Remington 700 Classic in 300 Savage. All will get to the stand but how many actually see action is another story but I am lining up takers for venison.
Did not just eye it,I bought a new Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather 6.5 Creedmoor. Waiting for new scope to arrive, I like my Extreme Weather in 30-06 so much I thought why not.

Oh yeah.
I'll be running a new to me Winchester Stainless Classic in 270 WSM.😀
I found a NIB 1999 M77 Mk ii .308win. Just got a MeoPro 3-9x40 #4 mounted in low rings. Load development to start ASAP!

Way cool American rifle. Good luck.

New or yet to be bloodied here, prior to the boating accident.....
TC Compass 2s, 308, 6.5 CM, and 7mm RM, Howa Mini Russian x39, 300 BO RAR, KoO 89 BGR 270, Rem 721 30-06, Rem 700 243, and a faux 700 270 Mtn Rifle, oh, and 4 223/556 and one 300 BO ARs, a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendal, a CVA Single shot Hunter 7-08.... Damn, LOL oh chit! Most likely to hunt two not mentioned. whistle

© 24hourcampfire