Home
Posted By: mjbgalt 350 success - 09/20/20
Bought the savage axis package gun in 350 legend along with the Browning 155 gr ammo.

Got a chance to shoot at a friend's farm and the first group at 100 yards was just over an inch. He insisted that i shoot it at 200 to see how it did.

I didn't expect much because our slug guns and old fashioned muzzleloaders we are used to here in Ohio were about useless at 200 yards.

But I took him up on it just to humor him. 3 shots later I am a believer. A 4 inch group at 200 yards from a $349 rifle with a cheapo scope was surprising...especially since it's deer legal.

If my varmint rifle did 4 inches at 200 I would be pretty mad but to be able to reach out like that will be a huge plus in the places i hunt locally.

If you guys have been holding off on buying one, give it a chance. I am pleased with the results from factory ammo.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 350 success - 09/20/20
Next will be upgrading the scope and starting to load my own 350 ammo. Will be interesting to see if I can improve on that 200 yard group.

Gotta admit I once thought it was a fad and just another toy for guys to waste money on but I see the attraction and purpose to it now.

7 pound rifle with 18 inch barrel that can reach out into a cornfield and still be ok to use here in the land of stupid laws, will be nice to have.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 350 success - 09/21/20
Congrats for you guys. It’s a foot in the door for rifles.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 350 success - 09/21/20
That is my hope also. I see you guys talk about using rifles and it seems like we hunt on some other planet. 8 days of gun hunting and layers of stupid rules to keep us from tagging one.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: 350 success - 09/22/20
To get the state of Ohio to disavow ownership and control of a deer you have to hit it with your car.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: 350 success - 09/22/20
Every state fish and game department has
it's share of stupidity.
It's a true shame for those that foot the bills.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 350 success - 09/24/20
Congrats on doing your homework. Now you really know what your rig can do instead of just guessing.

To be fair, access to a range where that stuff can be accomplished can be tough. Thankfully, I have such a place 5 minutes away now; 300 yards is available, maybe half-again as far as any shot I ever had to take at a deer.

Still, I'm glad we don't have to deal with the nonsense common in the Midwest. On the minus side, the giant bucks you have are usually only found in a few bow-only counties in the Southern part of the state.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: 350 success - 09/24/20
The way people hunt in Iowa doing drives and stuff, I wouldn't leave the city limits if they had real rifles.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: 350 success - 09/25/20
Just handled a Ruger 350 legend.... nice gun. Appreciate any other thoughts on the round. Sounds like a nice deer round. Do you think it has the legs to hang around for brass and ammo?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 350 success - 09/25/20
If not I will rebarrel to the .358" bore version based on 223 straight.
Posted By: mathman Re: 350 success - 09/25/20
How much drop between one and two hundred?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 350 success - 09/25/20
9 inches.
Posted By: StuckInOhio Re: 350 success - 09/26/20
I believe you can have 1 round in the chamber and 2 in the magazine per Ohio rules. How many rounds does the mag hold? How would you get the mag to only hold 2 rounds and no more? I love dumb rules!
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 350 success - 09/26/20
I think it holds 4
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 350 success - 09/26/20
They decided to just make the rule that regardless of the magazine capacity we just have to only load 2
Posted By: tomme boy Re: 350 success - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Worst thing you could do. It does not generate enough velocity to use the 0.358" rifle bullets and has too much for the pistol bullets. Everyone is whining about a problem that does not exist.
Posted By: Switch Re: 350 success - 09/29/20
Just saying this straight cased law is stupid as sh t. What is reasoning behind it? Law maker must be getting a pay off from gun makers, 38 55 yes, 40 65 no?
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 350 success - 09/29/20
It's a dumb rule, but we're all glad it passed!

-Jake
Posted By: efw Re: 350 success - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by Switch
Just saying this straight cased law is stupid as sh t. What is reasoning behind it? Law maker must be getting a pay off from gun makers, 38 55 yes, 40 65 no?

The original shotgun-only stuff is just as stupid. This has always been a feel good attempt by those who don’t know what end the round comes out of.

I’m just enjoying the improvements for what they’re worth.

Originally Posted by tomme boy
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Worst thing you could do. It does not generate enough velocity to use the 0.358" rifle bullets and has too much for the pistol bullets. Everyone is whining about a problem that does not exist.

That is what I was wondering too re: existing .358 cal out of such a tiny cartridge.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: 350 success - 09/29/20
Was at a Walmart today and noticed they had more 350 Legend ammo than anything else except .45-70. All of the ammo shelves were pretty bare.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: 350 success - 09/30/20

Sounds like the new cartridge is "Legendary", and I've shot deer with a .357 Wheelgun before . . .

A step up from a .357 Max and on par with a 357 Herrett?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 350 success - 09/30/20
Its a little shy of the max ballistics but i think it might be capable of higher pressures than what it is loaded to from the factory
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: 350 success - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Sounds like the new cartridge is "Legendary", and I've shot deer with a .357 Wheelgun before . . .

A step up from a .357 Max and on par with a 357 Herrett?

That's a pretty good assessment, IMO. Certainly in a bolt gun it would be possible to push the "Legend" harder than the Herrett though.

The old version of H4227 was the ideal burn rate for the Herrett. There isn't data for powders currently in production that match its numbers. I've been messing with the Herrett for a few years.
Posted By: bhh Re: 350 success - 09/30/20
I sent the guy who developed the 357AR cartridge a few .358 diameter 216gr flat-nose cast bullets. He was able to get them to 1900 fps at under 223 pressures in an AR rifle.
I used these same bullets in a 358 Winchester loaded to 1850 fps and took a half a dozen southern Ohio Whitetails and they worked fine. Most shots were around 150 yards but the longest shot was 250 yards. That deer went about 40 yards.
So I don't see why you couldn't rechamber and find a suitable bullet that would work.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 350 success - 09/30/20
Yep
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: 350 success - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by bhh
I sent the guy who developed the 357AR cartridge a few .358 diameter 216gr flat-nose cast bullets. He was able to get them to 1900 fps at under 223 pressures in an AR rifle.
I used these same bullets in a 358 Winchester loaded to 1850 fps and took a half a dozen southern Ohio Whitetails and they worked fine. Most shots were around 150 yards but the longest shot was 250 yards. That deer went about 40 yards.
So I don't see why you couldn't rechamber and find a suitable bullet that would work.

Any bullet designed for the 35 Remington should work very well, given the similarity of the two calibers' velocities.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: 350 success - 10/01/20
I was tempted by a Ruger American in 350 Legend last week...... i held off since I just dont think the round has staying power.
Posted By: bobmn Re: 350 success - 10/01/20
bhh: "I used these same bullets in a 358 Winchester loaded to 1850 fps and took a half a dozen southern Ohio Whitetails"
Has Ohio changed the rifle cartridge restrictions from straight walled only?
Posted By: bhh Re: 350 success - 10/01/20
Not during deer season. I'm culling on my farm using crop damage permits granted by the ODNR. Totally legal.
The article "Handloading the 350 Legend" in the Hodgdon 2020 Annual Manual states "The New 350 Legend straight-wall hunting cartridge can be a challenge to handload,,," Not all AR-15 rifles chambered in 350 Legend will chamber 358 diameter bullets. Mike Bellm has an interesting comparison of the 357 Maximum. 357 Maximum with long throat and the 350 Legend.
Thanks bhh for explaining the exception.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 350 success - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by hikerbum
I was tempted by a Ruger American in 350 Legend last week...... i held off since I just dont think the round has staying power.

The American is just as simple to rebarrel as a Savage. I've done it twice now. At the price point I don't think you could lose on it. If Ruger would offer one in a LH I'd be all over it like a hobo on a samich.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 350 success - 10/03/20
I caught the 350 legend bug last year. I didn't want to drop a bunch of money, so I bought a 350 Legend upper for my AR-15 from Bear Creek Arsenal. I had a Leupold VX-1 laying around already. With 150 grain Winchester Deer Season XP ammo it shoots dime size groups at 50 yards, and quarter size groups at 100. I didn't shoot a deer last year, but I'm gonna give it another run this season. Sure beats getting beat up by a 12 Gauge slug gun, and I'm sure it will do great to150 yards or so.

Ron
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 350 success - 10/04/20
I do a hunt in Ohio every year so I see a 350 in my future. I'm waiting for another years reviews from those I know have and use the 350 and Im also looking for one in a rifle I can be happy with.
Our hunting is changing there from just big timber hunting In National forest at ranges 75 yards or less with most being about 30-50 to a combination of Timber and farm fields on private. The Private hunting will have ranges less than 200 with most 75-150. So Im looking for a lighter weight bolt carbine with Lower recoil with ranges longer than my 44 Ruger carbine. Magazines sticking out of the bottom of the stock don't interest me.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 350 success - 10/04/20
Howa makes the Mini in .350. I suspect the Oregunsmithing LLC replacement for the .223 magazine setup would also work with the .350. Makes a nice little package.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: 350 success - 10/04/20
Originally Posted by hikerbum

Very popular caliber here in Michigan, I only see it gaining in acceptance. I would have one in a second, but I have a very capable 357 Max (TC Encore).
Posted By: cooperfan Re: 350 success - 10/04/20
Originally Posted by Switch

We are thankful for the straight wall caliber rule here in Michigan (zone 3). Much better than slugs and muzzleloaders.

I have come to love hunting with my 357 Max encore more than any gun that I have.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 350 success - 10/06/20
Took a friend and my brother to my gun club yesterday to sight in their new deer rifles. My friend bought a Ruger American compact in 350 legend and topped it with a Vortex Crossfire II 3x9 scope. My brother bought a Ruger American Ranch Rifle with the camo stock and he topped his with a Leupold VX-3 3.5x10. Both were able to shoot 3 shots into 1/2" or less at 50 yds with Winchester 150 grain Deer Season XP. Both have nice 150 yard deer set ups. Where we hunt 100 yds is a long shot. Most are 50 and under.

Ron
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 350 success - 10/07/20
I picked up a RAR last year as well. Shoots right at an inch at 100 and is a hell.of a lot more fun than my 45-70.
They both make the annual OH trip, though.
Posted By: KenMi Re: 350 success - 10/07/20
Got a Ruger Go Wild last week. Took it to the range to find a load it liked. I load the 150 grain Maker TREX solid copper tipped bullet. It was stacking them at 100 yards.
© 24hourcampfire