Home
Anybody got one? What do you think of it if you do?
I shot one today that a friend owns. It was a .308 and I was rather impressed with it.
Following this for further comments from others.
Ran across a “used” one at the local shop for a stupid good price, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Brought it home, scoped it, and loaded up a few rounds. First group through it with 143gr ELD-X put 5 shots into 3/4”.
I have one in 6.5 PRC. I have only sighted it in and shot a couple groups for accuracy. Factory ammo gave me a .6ish 3 shot group. Mine would not eject spent brass though, so they paid for me to send it back. They said that a spring supplier sent them some crappy springs. The turnaround was immediate. The sent it back to me with their notes reflecting "replaced bolt with new upgraded bolt." I haven't shot it since.

Mine isn't light. With a Meopta scope it tips the scales at 8 pounds 6 ounces. I could shave some weight going with a lighter scope. The LOP is listed at 13.5 inches which is pretty standard. The design is such that the LOP feels shorter than that.
The Mesa TI is a bit lighter and not that much more expensive.
I have a 270 Ridgeline and I really like it.

My next rifle will probably be a Mesa Ti in 7 Rem Mag.
I have a Mesa in 6.5 PRC with the Sig BDX system mounted on it. Mine is super accurate with 130 Accubonds or Sciroccos. I killed a couple of critters with it last year using the 143 ELD-X factory stuff. DRT.
Originally Posted by JoeBob

On a scale 7lbs exactly for the TI..the one I owned anyway.

Approx. $300-$400 more
how friendly is the mesa to long bullets
I've a 6.5 Mesa that shoots fantastic with anything I put in it. Planning on getting a Ridgeline Ti in 300 Win mag one of these days.
Originally Posted by MK257
Originally Posted by JoeBob

On a scale 7lbs exactly for the TI..the one I owned anyway.

Approx. $300-$400 more

Was that for a LA or SA model?
I bought one in 6.5 Creed at the very end of 2019 with the idea of shooting a factory rifle with factory ammo for the following hunting season. I was not disappointed.

I've put 368 rounds through it (sorry, a little OCD) - all factory ammo. Not a single hiccup with the rifle. Fit and finish is excellent. Trigger is very good as-is at just a hair over 3lbs.

I don't really get the need for the muzzle break on it, but it's no big deal. I didn't do the barrel break-in CA mentions. I just dry patch after 1 box, add powder solvent after 2 boxes, then add testing/cleaning for copper after 3 boxes. Happy Camper.

This barrel likes both the Precision Hunter and Black Hills Gold 143 gr. ELDX factory fodder. They're essentially the same round, but with the BHG seated about .015" deeper than the Precision Hunter. They both leave the muzzle at about 2560 fps. 5 shot groups are consistently between .75 and 1 moa out to 400 yards (as far as I've tested).

There's really nothing I want or would do differently to the rifle at that price point. As long as factory fodder quality is there, I'm not going to handload for it.

After this hunting season is over I'll give the Superformance 120 gr. GMX a workout with any eye to Pronghorn in 2021. Initial tests of other factory 120 gr. GMX showed the barrel wants that bullet weight going as fast as possible.

Pud
Buddy of mine has a Mesa in 6.5 Creed. It impresses the heck out of me. I've also done some reloading for him 'cause I'm retired and he's not. He's always buying rifles; has one ordered from Seekins right now. So he sells a lot of stuff to make room in the safe. I'm waiting for the Mesa to go up for sale, ( It's only a matter of time). I already know the gun, have shot it, and know what loads it likes.
The one Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor I tried briefly was a 3/4 to 1" shooter 'at best". I only tried a few factory loads, and handloaded the 120 Hornady Match and the 110 Hammer Hunter. I later tried one in a Bergara B14 Hunter and it was a bonafide 1/2" with anything I put in it. I just don't have a real use for a Creed, so sold it to play with something else. The Mesa was heavier than I felt it should be too. Just my take. Great rifles though, no complaints on their quality. I just am surprised at what a great value the Bergara B14 is!
I just picked up a Mesa in 6.5 CR and mounted a spare VX6 2-12 CDS Firedot on her. A bit heavier than I wanted, but definitely a quality set up. Fit and finish are very nice. To my mind it’s a much better value than my Weatherby Ultra lightweight in 270 Win; with a Leupold VX III 3.5-10X40 the Weatherby is noticeably lighter than the Mesa.
My 6.5 Mesa which is now listed on GB has never given me an iota of trouble and it shoots way better then one inch with premium ammo. I have it on consignment because I am thinning the herd .
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My 6.5 Mesa which is now listed on GB has never given me an iota of trouble and it shoots way better then one inch with premium ammo. I have it on consignment because I am thinning the herd .

Ed,

Maybe we can work a deal. I'm looking for this exact rifle, but wanted new. I'll go look at the auction.
Not to steal the thread but has anyone played with the Mesa LR in 6.5 Creed? I am looking at one of them but can change barrels on one of my Tikka's way cheaper
I have a Mesa 6.5cm. It shoots the Performance ELDX 143 great! I picked up here in the classifieds last year.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I have a 270 Ridgeline and I really like it.
My next rifle will probably be a Mesa Ti in 7 Rem Mag.

That is the problem with the Mesa. They are not available in 270 or 30-06.
If Christensen Arms manufactured their Mesa rifle in 243 Winchester, 270 Winchester and 30-06 Springfield, they would sell them like hotcakes.
what is the action like on the mesa? is it close enough to a 700 that a normal smith can rebarrel? I am thinking of a mesa long range and intend to shoot it quite a bit, enough that a rebarrel would eventually be in the works.
Originally Posted by pullit
Not to steal the thread but has anyone played with the Mesa LR in 6.5 Creed? I am looking at one of them but can change barrels on one of my Tikka's way cheaper

I have sold several of these rifles through the shop where I work. The only thing about the Mesa LR, is that it is a fairly heavy, bench type rifle. All the reports I have received from customers who bought them has been extremely positive. Accuracy is very good, very common to see .5 inch groups.

On a side note, I currently own three CA rifles. One 20 inch Ridgeline chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a solid .5" shooter from a bench. I also have a Ridgeline chambered for 270 WCF, with a 24 inch barrel. It shoots under an inch, with factory Federal blue box 130 AND 150 grain bullets. My latest, is a Mesa with a 22 inch barrel. It is chambered for 308 WCF. This rifle shoots seems to shoot between .5 to .75" with factory Federal Fusion hunting loads.

For my part, I am very happy with the Christensen Arms rifles I own. There is a very good possibility I will bring at least one more home for the safe. Your mileage may vary.
Originally Posted by noKnees
what is the action like on the mesa? is it close enough to a 700 that a normal smith can rebarrel? I am thinking of a mesa long range and intend to shoot it quite a bit, enough that a rebarrel would eventually be in the works.

AFAIK, it is a 700 Clone.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
If Christensen Arms manufactured their Mesa rifle in 243 Winchester, 270 Winchester and 30-06 Springfield, they would sell them like hotcakes.

Joel, it's interesting you say that. I REACHED OUT TO christensen over this very topic. Their reply was they have no plans to offer the mesa in any other standard calibers

Likewise a 24 inch 280AI in the mesa would be damned near nirvana
Hate the stock! Otherwise I would buy one.
Originally Posted by Esox357
Hate the stock! Otherwise I would buy one.

Is it the ergonomics of the stock that you hate?
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Joel, it's interesting you say that. I REACHED OUT TO christensen over this very topic. Their reply was they have no plans to offer the mesa in any other standard calibers

Likewise a 24 inch 280AI in the mesa would be damned near nirvana

I'm sure its an upsell situation.
© 24hourcampfire