Home
Posted By: jdb Last rifle. - 10/05/20
I’m turning 50 next year and I’m going to do up a rifle for the last chapter. This rifle will need to handle deer to 400 or so yards and hopefully a cow elk or two along the way. Maybe a bear or two as well. I’m pretty set on 7mm08 for chambering. Although I could be swayed but short actions are the way I’m leaning. I was going to do a Remington 700 compact and swap out the stock for a b&c, talleys and a leupold vxIIIi in 2.5x8. Now I’m thinking a tikka super lite. Any input?
Posted By: utah708 Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
I would go Tikka before I went with a Remington these days. I'll bet I have had over two dozen 700's pass through my hands over the years, and none have been as easy to get shooting well as all of the Tikkas have been.

But if I was going to do it, and it really was going to be my last rifle, I would get one of the high precision Remington clone actions, a Triggertech, a McMillan or Manners stock that fits your physique really well, and a top quality stainless barrel 22", 1-8 twist.

I got no problems with your choice of cartridge. I'd go with a zero stop scope, by the way.
Posted By: jdb Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
I’m not super familiar with what a zero stop scope is? I’m just looking for a scope I can sight in and it stays that way for years. I’m not a dial up and down guy
Posted By: ingwe Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
I like them both...alot. But honestly my tikka super light is one of my favorite rifles. Hard to beat. Period.
Posted By: jdb Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Oh and I’m thinking 140 grain accubond. And agin I appreciate input.
Posted By: Hookset Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Originally Posted by utah708

But if I was going to do it, and it really was going to be my last rifle, I would get one of the high precision Remington clone actions, a Triggertech, a McMillan or Manners stock that fits your physique really well, and a top quality stainless barrel 22", 1-8 twist.

You could get about this for less money by getting a Bergara Premier Mountain. Still a lot more than a Tikka, but less than a custom with a premier action.
Originally Posted by jdb
Oh and I’m thinking 140 grain accubond. And agin I appreciate input.

It would be hard to go wrong with that combo...
Posted By: skeen Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Originally Posted by Hookset

You could get about this for less money by getting a Bergara Premier Mountain. Still a lot more than a Tikka, but less than a custom with a premier action.

This makes sense, to me, anyways.
Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Originally Posted by jdb
I’m turning 50 next year and I’m going to do up a rifle for the last chapter. This rifle will need to handle deer to 400 or so yards and hopefully a cow elk or two along the way. Maybe a bear or two as well. I’m pretty set on 7mm08 for chambering. Although I could be swayed but short actions are the way I’m leaning. I was going to do a Remington 700 compact and swap out the stock for a b&c, talleys and a leupold vxIIIi in 2.5x8. Now I’m thinking a tikka super lite. Any input?

Get the Tikka and don't look back. I've owned and loaded for maybe 15 Tikkas now and ever one has been an accurate rifle and a couple were super accurate, as in consistent 5-shot sub-moa groups. Those factory Tikkas have consistently been better rifles than my Rem 700s and I've owned a bunch of the Remingtons, too.

You don't say if you're a reloader or not, so I'll assume not. Then for a cartridge, I would recommend a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 308 Win since there are loads of excellent factory ammo for both cartridges. And both will kill elk just fine based on my Tikka experiences with the 6.5x55 and 30-06. Or get a 270 Win since the Tikka actions are all 'long' actions and the old 270 is an awesome round with tons of great factory ammo available.

The factory T3x stock is fine - no need to change anything there unless you prefer more of a pistol grip and that's an easy swap on the T3x. Your choice of scope and rings sounds fine but whatever you choose, I would keep it simple and light weight. Don't go overwhelming the Superlite model with a 'Hubble Scope" and overbuilt rings.

Whatever you pick, hope you get out lots to enjoy it!
Posted By: 16bore Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
With 50 comes wisdom....’06 all the way.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
I can't imagine buying my last rifle at 50.
I'm 68, just bought one today, and have at least one more to go.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
NVhntr has a point...you may want another rifle someday, and age shouldn't stop you from getting it. But I see your point, it's time to buy a "keeper." So, pick the chambering you want, not what others tell you you should get. Handle some rifles and get the model you want. Within reason, don't look for a bargain, be willing to pay a little more for something you'll like better. Then enjoy it!
Might be along the lines of “tired of farting around with stuff”

Been down that road...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
I'd be looking for a .284.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
My Tikka stainless 30-06 is as accurate as m70's and m700's that I've had. If you've not yet had a Tikka, I would vote for getting a Tikka they are solid accurate and have great triggers.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Originally Posted by jdb

when i was 50 years of age i was just getting warmed up and started on buying a rifle or 2 every year in different cartridge rifle ,i have always been a hunter /reloader of ammunition and so reloading for different rifle cartridges has always been kinda a expensive hobby for me but worth it. now at 67 years of age i still look forward to a new cartridge i have never used or reloaded for this fall 2020 it will be a 6.5 Newton, this spring its was a new 6.5 Creedmoor. last summer 2019 i was reloading and shooting a 25 Creedmoor but waiting for some new custom dies made just for this 25 Creedmoor rifle. the 7mm-08 is a great cartridge, i built a 7mm-08 cartridge before any rifle factory ever offered one to the public and i still own that Remington action custom rifle and it still will shoot under a 1/2 inch ,5 shot group at 100 yards plus i killed plenty deer with this great cartridge in the past too. i will say this even now at 67 years of age i ain`t slow`n down i will be trying a new or old cartridge in a neat rifle every year, but if i was you forget about buying only 1 more new rifle at 50 . >go for the gusto and buy and shoot many more cartridges,good luck,Pete53
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
You might also want to consider a Browning X-Bolt. I handled several different rifles when I was looking and the X-Bolt easily felt the best to me. I have the Stainless Stalker.
I also have Tikkas and the X-Bolt is just as accurate plus the magazine fits flush and holds 1 more round. GLWYS
Posted By: jwall Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20

jdb - What NVhntr said below.

Originally Posted by NVhntr

I also did NOT think about getting my last rifle at 50.
I'm 70 and have had a lot to come & go since then. Some stayed obviously.

In 2018 I bought my last (?) rifle. maybe. Tikka T3X in 7mm RM....NO regerts (grin) and it's my 2nd Tikka, also NO regrets.

ATST I'm a 700 fan and have some BUT why buy a Rem + synthetic stock WHEN you can get a Tikka IN a syn stock?

Good Luck whatever decision you make.

I hope you live longer and buy MORE 'last' rifles ! LOL

Jerry
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

7 RM on Left; 270 on Right

270 Works 2016

7 RM Works 2019
Heres another pic of a Tikka Superlight with something dead. This rifle, with a scope with BDC type reticle is about the easiest and quickest thing to use in the field. I much prefer the set-up over turret spinning .

Little brother to the ‘06 for playing....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: okie john Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Originally Posted by jdb

I did this in 308, starting with a Remington Model 700 Package Rifle (https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...ynthetic-scope).

I replaced the bases with Nikon Weaver-style bases. Remington 150-gr. CoreLokt and Winchester 150-gr. Power Points both went sub-MOA with velocities over 2,800 fps, so I was happy. I wanted to make as few mods as possible, but I also wanted a shorter barrel, better groups if I could get them, and the ability to shoot with a tight sling without the POI shifting.

I was referred to Brett Evans of NW Armswerkes (https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...3136081456406/) so I had him cut the barrel to 22”, bed it into an HS Precision stock, and provide factory BDL-style bottom metal. He also determined that this rifle was actually chambered for 7.62 NATO and that grinding 0.005” off of the recoil lung would make it a 308 as marked. 12 days later he called and told me that the work was done.
  • With bases but without optics, it weighs 6.92 pounds as opposed to 6.51 before (and the 6.3 of a Tikka) and the balance is a bit farther aft.
  • Weight with a 4x Leupold (shown) is 7 pounds, 11 ounces—heavier than a lot of options but it balances well. It's also easier to shoot well than a flyweight.
  • About 2/3 of the barrel lettering is below the stock line due to the recoil lug modification. Not ideal but not a deal breaker.
  • I can definitely feel the shorter chamber—closing the bolt on RP factory ammo reveals a very snug fit that wasn't there before, and I can’t close the bolt at all on some handloads that were a snug fit before.

It shoots better in initial load testing, but my bench technique has improved significantly since then. It’s now sub-MOA with a lot of loads and sub .5 MOA with several others.

If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Tikkas are the only rifles I’ve owned that run right out of the box with no adjustment. They're nice but I don't care for detachable magazines. Someday they’ll quit making Tikka mags and then you’ll have a rifle that can suddenly become an awkward single-shot with a big hole in the bottom. Also, check prices on a M-88 Winchester, Tikka 695, or anything else with a detachable mag both with and without mags.

I didn’t plan for this little Remington to be my last rifle but justifying others gets harder every time I shoot it. I might build myself a spare, though…

Okie John
Posted By: RevMike Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
Heres another pic of a Tikka Superlight with something dead. This rifle, with a scope with BDC type reticle is about the easiest and quickest thing to use in the field. I much prefer the set-up over turret spinning .

Tom, dat pig's been rolling in some clay! I can't enlarge this: what's the scope?
Posted By: geedubya Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20

69 in December,
I'm still just one rifle away from being satisfied.

LOL,

GWB
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Another Tikka fan here. If I were in your shoes, I’d go with a. T3x SS in 270, or if you handload, 30-06 (factory fodder is seriously under loaded).
Posted By: Tstorm1 Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20

I've got 3 Bergara's from their entry/B-14 line and have handled their Premier series. The B-14 series is smooth and the Premier series is even better. The Premier series also come with a Triggertech from the factory so no upgrade needed. The barrels area a heavier contour so they weigh 1/2 to 1 lb more than Tikka's. All mine shoot well at under an inch easily and the 300WM tossing 0.3" groups with handloads.

That said I've also got a couple Tikka's and with their weight and accuracy they are hard to beat! If in tight quarters I'll take the Tikka over Bergara as it maneuvers easier being lighter.

By the time you buy a Tikka or R700 and put an aftermarket stock on it you're in the Bergara Premier series along with Christensen Mesa (not sure of chamberings). Lots of great options and don't think you'll be disappointed by any of them. Shoulder and handle them, buy the one that feels the best.
Posted By: HaYen Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20

Agreed. 54 and I still have several I'll be buying.

Zero Stop (vs Zero resettable) means you can turn the turret and it will stop at Zero. Zero resettable means you can set your turrets for that load and zero it (usually by removing the turret and positioning it to zero)

If you will shooting at 400+ yards, it's a nice to have to dialing in your ballistics and then resetting after the shot. I've switched over to mail/moa reticles first/ second plane it really doesn't matter to me.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
"Last rifle" is only something you tell your wife!!! My vote is for tikka as well. Lite or superlite, makes no difference to me. If you want to upgrade it, throw it in a McMillan edge.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
"Last rifle" at 50?

At 50 I had one big game rifle, a 7mm RM, a .22-250. .44 Mag carbine and a .22LR.. At 69-1/2 I have a safe full of rifles and am in the process of building another. Life doesn't end at 50.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
"Last rifle" at 50?

Life doesn't end at 50.

I hope not !! LOL
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
"Last rifle" at 50?

At 50 I had one big game rifle, a 7mm RM, a .22-250. .44 Mag carbine and a .22LR.. At 69-1/2 I have a safe full of rifles and am in the process of building another. Life doesn't end at 50.

I think a lot of us changed things up a bit after we joined this site
T storm

I have 2 Tikkas, pictured above. P 2 ... no need for aftermarket stock !

? ? ?

Jerry
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Hard to argue against a Tikka. They just plain shoot with no fuss, no tweaks, just mount a good scope and you’re done. They are pretty darn light and have a decent factory stock, not great but definitely a step above most factory tupaware you see now days.

That being said my latest rifle purchase was a Browning Hells Canyon Speed. I bought it over a T3x Superlite just to try something different. It should be in later this week. The X Bolt series of rifle from Browning don’t get a lot of love here but they are accurate and on the lighter side as well.
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ingwe

Tom, dat pig's been rolling in some clay! I can't enlarge this: what's the scope?

Mike that's a Minox ZV-3 I got from Doug at a screaming deal.

The BDC lines match up my load exactly out to 400 yards, scope is bright, clear and has excellent eye relief.

Easily one of my favorites..
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Last rifle. - 10/05/20
Originally Posted by jwall
"Last rifle" at 50?

Life doesn't end at 50.

I hope not !! LOL

Me too.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
OP, in my opinion, you've described the one at this link, for the most part:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ts-rem-1st-gen-ti-in-7mm-08#Post15272849
Posted By: jwall Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by jwall
"Last rifle" at 50?

Life doesn't end at 50.

I hope not !! LOL

Me too.

What a bunch of 'enablers' ! grin grin
Posted By: okie john Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by Tstorm1
By the time you buy a Tikka or R700 and put an aftermarket stock on it you're in the Bergara Premier series along with Christensen Mesa (not sure of chamberings).

I coonfingered a Christensen Mesa the other day and was favorably impressed.

Okie John
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
"Last rifle" at 50?

I think a lot of us changed things up a bit after we joined this site

For me it had more to do with my three daughters graduating college debt free. smile
Posted By: 16bore Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
All about K.I.S.S. for me. Too much stuff, too many other things to do. Family at the top of the list. 223, 243, 30-06. Rifles rigged up the way I like, good stash of ammo, grab a toy and play when time allows.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
Tikka t3x lite or go custom build. Bighorn action, Bartlein barrel, triggertech, mcmillan stock. and gunsmith of your choice.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by 16bore
All about K.I.S.S. for me. Too much stuff, too many other things to do. Family at the top of the list. 223, 243, 30-06. Rifles rigged up the way I like, good stash of ammo, grab a toy and play when time allows.

That would work for me, too, except I have fun playing with different toys. Have been thinking about thinning the herd some and getting some space back in the safe by gifting a rifle each to each of my daughters/SILs.

But then I think "Nah, not yet." smile
Posted By: 16bore Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by 16bore

That would work for me, too, except I have fun playing with different toys. Have been thinking about thinning the herd some and getting some space back in the safe by gifting a rifle each to each of my daughters/SILs.

But then I think "Nah, not yet." smile

Yup, gotta find your fun level. Ended up passing along some rigs to family.
Posted By: Brad Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by jdb

Sounds like a solid plan. I doubt you could go wrong with either.

See my second signature line below:
Posted By: Brad Re: Last rifle. - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by okie john

I did this in 308, starting with a Remington Model 700 Package Rifle (https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...ynthetic-scope).

I replaced the bases with Nikon Weaver-style bases. Remington 150-gr. CoreLokt and Winchester 150-gr. Power Points both went sub-MOA with velocities over 2,800 fps, so I was happy. I wanted to make as few mods as possible, but I also wanted a shorter barrel, better groups if I could get them, and the ability to shoot with a tight sling without the POI shifting.

I was referred to Brett Evans of NW Armswerkes (https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...3136081456406/) so I had him cut the barrel to 22”, bed it into an HS Precision stock, and provide factory BDL-style bottom metal. He also determined that this rifle was actually chambered for 7.62 NATO and that grinding 0.005” off of the recoil lung would make it a 308 as marked. 12 days later he called and told me that the work was done.
  • With bases but without optics, it weighs 6.92 pounds as opposed to 6.51 before (and the 6.3 of a Tikka) and the balance is a bit farther aft.
  • Weight with a 4x Leupold (shown) is 7 pounds, 11 ounces—heavier than a lot of options but it balances well. It's also easier to shoot well than a flyweight.
  • About 2/3 of the barrel lettering is below the stock line due to the recoil lug modification. Not ideal but not a deal breaker.
  • I can definitely feel the shorter chamber—closing the bolt on RP factory ammo reveals a very snug fit that wasn't there before, and I can’t close the bolt at all on some handloads that were a snug fit before.

It shoots better in initial load testing, but my bench technique has improved significantly since then. It’s now sub-MOA with a lot of loads and sub .5 MOA with several others.

If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Tikkas are the only rifles I’ve owned that run right out of the box with no adjustment. They're nice but I don't care for detachable magazines. Someday they’ll quit making Tikka mags and then you’ll have a rifle that can suddenly become an awkward single-shot with a big hole in the bottom. Also, check prices on a M-88 Winchester, Tikka 695, or anything else with a detachable mag both with and without mags.

I didn’t plan for this little Remington to be my last rifle but justifying others gets harder every time I shoot it. I might build myself a spare, though…

Okie John

That's a great rifle John!
Posted By: jdb Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
So when last rifle might have been a poor choice of words. What I’m looking for is a short action, light weight, accurate rifle of sufficient power too handle most of my hunting situations. It would be my new go too rifle. Thank you all for the input!
Posted By: Judman Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
Geez, are you circling the drain??? 😂😂
Posted By: jdb Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
Like a turd in a punch bowl!!!!
Posted By: viking Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
I bought a SS tikka in 243.
Posted By: Mac284338 Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
Geez, I'm 71 and have two rifles within the past year and a new scope. Love my 6.5 PRC and 300 WM. I must be nuts.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
Yep, I'm 60 and have 4 builds in progress right now, 9.3x62, 338-06, 275 Rigby, and 256 Newton.
Next in line is a 375 H&H, to be followed by a 6mm Rem.
That leaves 4 actions waiting for whatever else I think of...

Last rifle at 50?
Don't you Blaspheme in here!

Rex
Posted By: jwall Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Mac284338
Geez, I'm 71 and have two rifles within the past year and a new scope. Love my 6.5 PRC and 300 WM. I must be nuts.

Welcome to the NUT cabinet !! wink smile
The 300 WM has been a fav of mine a long time. Actually was my FIRST magnum and
before the 44 RSBHK.

Jerry
Posted By: Hookset Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
FWIW, I got a “last rifle” a couple years ago on my 50th birthday. My late wife surprised me with a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5x55. It’s an outstanding rifle and will likely always be the go-to deer rifle.
I’ve since bought and sold several rifles, so my “last rifle” obviously isn’t the last one I’ll buy, but it will most certainly be the last one to go.
Posted By: memtb Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20

I have two “last” rifles! One purchased 4 years ago, which is pretty specialized and may never be hunted with. The other was purchased (built) in 1990. This is my constant “go to”, “all around- do it all” hunting rifle. I hope to use it until the end! memtb
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
Mine is a 260 Sako 85 that I put a custom barrel on .

Very little kick, none to really speak of.
Flat shooter inside of 300 yards
Light weight

It’s a nice rifle, and a lot like what you are describing, in fact it’s not too far off of your 7-08 - however there is better bullet selection for the powder column in 6.5 than 7mm which really should have an 06 column IMHO.
Posted By: jwall Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
My 'last' rifle is a Tikka T3X Lite SS in 7mm Rem Mag. I bought it in 2018 AFTER I had said, " I'm not in the market for another rifle". I meant that...... well...

I hunted it in 2018 and 2019 and killed deer both years, pix posted here usually in the Deer Hunting forum.

My 'last' rifle BEFORE that was my Custom 98, in 284 Win. I wanted a 284 W for many years and I was FORTUNATE enuff for a Campfire Friend to GIVE me this rifle. I've killed deer with it too.
Load is 139 HBTSP, surplus 4831, Vel 3000 fps. < 270 & 280 territory>

I have more hunting rifles than I have lifetime to hunt and wear out.

Today... "I'm not in the market for any other rifle" and that's true. It doesn't mean I won't find something I like at a steal and buy.

Truthfully, I don't know how many rifles I've bought, sold, traded----- SINCE I turned 50.

Life does NOT end at 50. Life is GOOD.

Jerry
Posted By: specneeds Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
I prefer a little more speed & power in my rifles but hard to argue 7-08 isn’t as good a deer caliber as you could want. My 7mm RM I bought new is 44 years old this year & it got a VX3I 4.5-14x50 to celebrate & is making the annual elk trip. Sighted it in 2” high at 100 yards 3 shots you can cover with a dime - 4th time the pre-season sight in has produced that kind of group. It will always be my favorite deer rifle despite buying 1/2 a dozen others after I turned 50.
Posted By: Will16 Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
I’d build a good gun in 6.5 prc with the reamer set up for factory ammo. Have a good smith set it up like LRI so it’s tuned and feeds well. Bighorn origin action has rem m700 foot print and takes m700 accessories while having control round feed and mechanical ejection. Lots of good choices for actions but no matter what get a good barrel.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
We travel frequently so my main rifle is a "truck gun", a Tikka T3 Lite in 308. It is very accurrate and reliable and very smooth in action and handling. If I were to replace it my choice now would be a Superlight in 6.5C but 7-08 is never a bad choice.

mike r
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Last rifle. - 10/10/20
FWIW, I got a “last rifle” a couple years ago on my 50th birthday. My late wife surprised me with a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5x55. It’s an outstanding rifle and will likely always be the go-to deer rifle.
I’ve since bought and sold several rifles, so my “last rifle” obviously isn’t the last one I’ll buy, but it will most certainly be the last one to go.

That's an awesome story to share Hookset. I'm sorry about your wife.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Last rifle. - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by memtb
The other was purchased (built) in 1990. This is my constant “go to”, “all around- do it all” hunting rifle. I hope to use it until the end! memtb

And the "go to" rifle would be? ...
Posted By: drover Re: Last rifle. - 10/11/20
Last rifle - an oxymoron used as justification to purchase the rifle that one is currently infatuated with.

drover
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Last rifle. - 10/11/20
The last rifle I put together,was yesterday afternoon...but have a few more to go. Hint.............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: hanco Re: Last rifle. - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The last rifle I put together,was yesterday afternoon...but have a few more to go. Hint.............

I like that, great looking young man and rifle!!!
© 24hourcampfire