Home
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20
How frickin stupid does Ruger have too be too not offer just a basic fuggin Hawkeye with a stainless barrel or at least cerakoted whichever with a decent synthetic stock and no stupid frickin muzzle brake, and not frickin threaded for one either? Stainless or ceakote, decent friggin synthetic stock, no gadgets. Just be able too put a scope on it zero it, put a sling on it and go hunting. Can Ruger CEO pull his head out of his 4th point of contact?

Oh and I forgot too add don’t flute the stupid barrel (looking at you Winchester). Don’t flute the stupid bolt, a normal looking bolt handle oh and give can we just get a freaking hinged floor plate instead of some stupid ass ADL style blind magazine BS (looking at you Barrett). How dang hard is it?
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20
There's always the used market. Here's one in the classifieds right now:

Ruger 77 MkII UL Stainless 30-06 - $675 shipped.
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20

I think the Ruger Stainless Hawkeye is one of the best hunting rifles for bad weather that's ever been made. We have four in the family.

I had two and bought two more on sale when they were discontinued. A really good parctical hunting rifle IMHO.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20
I also have two Hawkeye All-Weather SS guns. The manufacturers don’t seem to realize that some of us prefer SS to Cerakote. They all keep headed that way.
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
There's always the used market. Here's one in the classifieds right now:

Ruger 77 MkII UL Stainless 30-06 - $675 shipped.

Thanks, I know the used ones are out there. I was just on a rant because I think it’s absolutely stupid that Ruger doesn’t still make them. I feel better that I got that rant off my chest 😆
Aren’t the Mark II’s a little lighter than the Hawkeyes?
For Ruger folks what is preferred Mark II or the Hawkeyes?
Posted By: Dogger Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20
Hawkeyes are considered to have more svelte stocks and a better stock trigger. I have handled Hawkeyes and agree, but I own two Mk IIs and no Hawkeyes
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I think the Ruger Stainless Hawkeye is one of the best hunting rifles for bad weather that's ever been made. We have four in the family.

I had two and bought two more on sale when they were discontinued. A really good parctical hunting rifle IMHO.

How do they shoot? Ex BIL has old Red Pad, Tang Safety 270 that shoot great with 4831 and 130 BT. Best I remember it shoots good with about anything.

I prefer the trigger and matte finish on the Hawkeye Stainless. The Mark II stainless with the boat paddle stock brings the most money with collectors now. I prefer the stock on the Hawkeye,the polymer is stiffer than the paddle models.

I used to own a couple of Ruger Mark II Stainless rifles,had a matte finish put on them and had the triggers worked on.

Sold them both when the Hawkeye Stainless models came out.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20
Ridge, I gripe and moan occasionally about the many new in box rugers I've owned over the years. Coming out of the box with issues. BUT, it's like griping about a family member that pisses you off, at the end of the day, you still have love for em.

Here in Alaska, so many hard working people, who can't afford expensive sht, fill their freezers year after year, with well worn Rugers.

I guesstimate that over the past 15 years, Ruger has made about $6000 off me. In every instant that I had a problem, they've FIXED IT.

About the only 77 that makes sense to me anymore, is the Hawkeye African. With the thread protector on (no muzzle brake b.s.):

It looks like a normal hunting rifle with good open sights.

The do-nothing tactical and long range blowhards, have really effected the bolt action hunting rifle line ups of present day.
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

How do they shoot? Ex BIL has old Red Pad, Tang Safety 270 that shoot great with 4831 and 130 BT. Best I remember it shoots good with about anything.

I have three that shoot one moa or better. A 243,a 280,and a 30-06. My 270 is a two moa rifle but I'm pretty sure it's just bedding. Should be an easy fix. I had a 308 Hawkeye that was moa or better.

I also owned a wood stocked Hawkeye in 338 Federal that was moa or better.

So five out of six Hawkeyes that I've shot would put three shots in an inch at 100 yards right out of the box with factory ammo.

I'm pretty sure the 270 that shoots 2 moa just needs the barrel channel floated and maybe the action bedded.
Doc, my first 100yd, three shot, one-hole group was in 2003. It was mk ll in 223 with a vari x 2 leupold 3-9. It was a 55 grain nosler ballistic tip handloads using winchester brass that I collected off a shooting range.

The rifling in that barrel was flawless.
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Ridge, I gripe and moan occasionally about the many new in box rugers I've owned over the years. Coming out of the box with issues. BUT, it's like griping about a family member that pisses you off, at the end of the day, you still have love for em.

Here in Alaska, so many hard working people, who can't afford expensive sht, fill their freezers year after year, with well worn Rugers.

I guesstimate that over the past 15 years, Ruger has made about $6000 off me. In every instant that I had a problem, they've FIXED IT.

About the only 77 that makes sense to me anymore, is the Hawkeye African. With the thread protector on (no muzzle brake b.s.):

It looks like a normal hunting rifle with good open sights.

The do-nothing tactical and long range blowhards, have really effected the bolt action hunting rifle line ups of present day.

I agree with you about family member comparison. I have a couple family members I could have a fist fight tonight and eat breakfast together in the morning ha.
Good customer service means a lot. Prefer not too need it but it’s nice too know it’s there. Although I actually have zero Rugers at the moment I have always liked them. Revolvers, rifles whatever.
Ridge, you can go to Japan for a Howa, to the bankruptcy buy-out for a Remington, to Serbia for a Zastava, to the Czech Republic for a 550, to Portugal for a Winchester model 70 or to Finland for a plasTikka.

Affordability, with a bunch of rugged features, you can pick up a Bugger Cockeyed 77 that is and always will be made in the United States of America.

It'll come out of the box in rough shape, you will drink a Budweiser, you will fly an American flag, then fill your fkn freezer.

Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20

It'll come out of the box in rough shape, you will drink a Budweiser, you will fly an American flag, then fill your fkn freezer.

👍
Ridge, you can go to Japan for a Howa, to the bankruptcy buy-out for a Remington, to Serbia for a Zastava, to the Czech Republic for a 550, to Portugal for a Winchester model 70 or to Finland for a plasTikka.

Affordability, with a bunch of rugged features, you can pick up a Bugger Cockeyed 77 that is and always will be made in the United States of America.

Good too go except for that nasty Budweiser.

There's a method to the madness :

It'll give you a headache the next day, that will help you forget about the head ache you had, caused by your new ruger.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20
Good luck with just sticking a scope on a Ruger and having it shoot good. They are assembled kit guns. It's up to you to do the fine tuning and work the bugs out. If you don't want to do that, buy a Tikka.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Good luck with just sticking a scope on a Ruger and having it shoot good. They are assembled kit guns. It's up to you to do the fine tuning and work the bugs out. If you don't want to do that, buy a Tikka.

Not true
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/08/20
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Not true
It's very true on most of them. Once in awhile the stars align and they get one mostly right. Most have issues that need to be worked out.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
Since Ruger is one of the few American firearms companies that are thriving, I imagine they are making good decisions about what to make for the current market at any point in time. Models come and go, and come back when they think the timing is right. Right now, the market seems to be focused on cheap and accurate. Hawkeyes cost more to make than many are willing to pay, but specialty models like the Hunter, Predator, and Target must be selling well, or they’d not be making them. Not long ago, Hawkeye All-Weathers were available at a considerable discount, indicating that the supply line was over-supplied. I bought a couple myself, and still have the .223. The three I’ve owned were all good shooters, and totally trouble-free. When I gave my son the choice of several of my rifles, he picked the .308 Predator, which he had borrowed for a cull hunt and liked very much. Too bad for me!

From comments I’ve read here, I’m guessing threaded barrels appeal to about as many as they don’t. Don’t want one myself, but don’t object to it being there.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by Dogger
Hawkeyes are considered to have more svelte stocks and a better stock trigger. I have handled Hawkeyes and agree, but I own two Mk IIs and no Hawkeyes

Thats exactly where I'm at. 2 mkII's and no Hawkeye's. The Hawkeye isnt a bad rifle though. I like the LC6 trigger, but the MkII trigger can be turned into a very nice trigger with a little honing and a lighter spring. Accuracy is always improved with a good glass bedding treatment. Thats for both the Hawkeye and MKII. The MKII's had a nicer deep blue finish, but the stainless was too shiny, as compared to the Hawkeye matte finish.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
As much as I’d hate to admit it, I could have just bought a SS MkII or Hawkeye AW in 30-06 and mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 scope and made every shot on game that I’ve ever made, assuming it was a legit 2 MOA gun.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
The Hawkeyes are so nice they ruined the Mark II's for me. Made them feel clubby. I still like a Tanger though
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
How frickin stupid does Ruger have too be too not offer just a basic fuggin Hawkeye with a stainless barrel or at least cerakoted whichever with a decent synthetic stock and no stupid frickin muzzle brake, and not frickin threaded for one either? Stainless or ceakote, decent friggin synthetic stock, no gadgets. Just be able too put a scope on it zero it, put a sling on it and go hunting. Can Ruger CEO pull his head out of his 4th point of contact?

Oh and I forgot too add don’t flute the stupid barrel (looking at you Winchester). Don’t flute the stupid bolt, a normal looking bolt handle oh and give can we just get a freaking hinged floor plate instead of some stupid ass ADL style blind magazine BS (looking at you Barrett). How dang hard is it?

They still make a M77? Been at least two years since I've seen a new one in the store. American this, American that. Lucky you can even find a 10/22 these days.......

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
The largest LGS near here has had them, but not in the numbers you use to see years ago, but that also applies to everything except ARs. Same situation in the big store down in Leesburg; some nice used stuff, a bazillion ARs and Glock-like objects, then Tupperware. I assume they’re ordering what sells. Plenty on the WWW, if anyone wants one.

A few weeks ago, I called the local store about getting a new Howa. They told me they can’t get them. I mentioned that the WWW was loaded with them, and the guy kind of snapped at me, “We can’t get them!”. I find that hard to believe. Maybe he thought I was going to try and get a lowball price, but I never mentioned that at all. I was actually willing to pay full ticket to avoid the kind of shipping Hell I’ve been experiencing lately, but we never got near that point. So much for supporting local dealers.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20

There's a method to the madness :

It'll give you a headache the next day, that will help you forget about the head ache you had, caused by your new ruger.

I have 3 stainless Hawkeyes in 223, 6.5 CM, and 338 FED that were purchased used and think that they are nice rifles made even better with McM stocks.

Ruger has a pretty good record of recognizing what the market wants and building it for them (us?). When WBR, Sr., was running things he pushed some projects that weren't mainstream, like the RSIs, the Gold Label, and the 96s. Some of them were successful, like the RSIs, and some not so successful, like the Gold Label and 96s. Right now the market seems more interested in long range shooting than in more traditional hunting modes, so they are pushing the styles of rifle that are selling the best.

Budweiser is a good base for red beer, 12 ounces or Bud and 4 ounces of tomato or V8 juice.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
Ten years ago the idea of a braked short .375 with a 20" bbl and adjustable pull length would have seemed silly to me. Then I handled one - at 9.5# scoped it feels like a typical 7# field gun. Fast swing, weight between the hands. Been using it past two seasons. Really like it, about 300 rds down the pipe so far. Comfortable, feels like a non-braked 9.5# '06. Excellent trigger. Which means can shoot it as precisely as our .243.

Hunt alone, and always wear electronic muffs, so brake is a non-issue. Suppose could either install a weight, or simple end cap. Accuracy just fine, Hornady 270s 5 into 3/4" at 100 yds. Speer 270s and 235s about 1-1.25", Nosler 300 partitions about 1".

As for the cartridge, easily delivers 24" H&H ballistics from a 20" tube. Like when a product delivers what it promises.

Only Ruger "quirk" is remembering the angled screw wants 95 inch-lbs. Mine likes 35# middle, 50# rear.
Posted By: skeen Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
As much as I’d hate to admit it, I could have just bought a SS MkII or Hawkeye AW in 30-06 and mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 scope and made every shot on game that I’ve ever made, assuming it was a legit 2 MOA gun.

Certainly the same can be said for me, and probaby most, if not all of us. blush
Posted By: Hudge Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
I’ve got a Ruger Hawkeye SS in .338 WM, and really like it. The only thing I’ve done to it besides mount a scope on it, was to replace the trigger spring. It shoots pretty decent as well, but so did the Ruger 77 MKII .257 Rob. I used to own. I was just in a big box store this week on Tuesday and noticed a new Ruger Hawkeye SS in .300 WM they had, I definitely do not need another .300 mag of any kind, but had it been a .30-06, it may have come home with me. I had one in .338 Fed on lay-a-way at Wal-Mart when I was still a poor enlisted member of the Air Force. I cancelled the lay-a-way, as I ended up buying a .44 mag revolver instead.
Posted By: SeeDepp Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
I sure wish they still made the standard Hawkeye. That rail they put on top of the Hunter version is ugly, especially taking away from the appeal of "traditional Mauser-type sporter" that the M77 always had. Even if you take it off, you are left with a drilled receiver. The threaded barrel would make a nice option for the Hawkeye line, but the bulb of metal swollen at the muzzel required for adequate shoulder against the suppressor... it does not look good at all.
Posted By: bulkie_roll Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20

Budweiser isn't an American company ( Belgian ) …
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
I don't know why Ruger abandoned the stainless market as they did. Most of the people I know didn't care for the scratch prone matte stainless finish Ruger eventually went to. Their original brushed stainless in a good stock, with the very good LC trigger, priced like a Tikka should do well.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by SeeDepp
I sure wish they still made the standard Hawkeye. That rail they put on top of the Hunter version is ugly, especially taking away from the appeal of "traditional Mauser-type sporter" that the M77 always had. Even if you take it off, you are left with a drilled receiver. The threaded barrel would make a nice option for the Hawkeye line, but the bulb of metal swollen at the muzzel required for adequate shoulder against the suppressor... it does not look good at all.

Yup
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/10/20

o

Agreed. Bught an All Weather Hawkeye in .280 Rem to replace a #1 in same. The #1 was really nice and a great shooter but it didn't suit my hunting needs. THe All Weather fits very nicely and is one of three stainless Ruger "elk " rifles (.Hawkeye 280 Rem, MKII.30-06, .MKII 338WM). The .280 Rem is going elk hunting in November,.
Posted By: lastround Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/10/20

I’m hanging on to my MkII stainless models as long as I have a breath. I like Ruger and like products made in the USA.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/10/20
The new hawkeyes come oughtta the box with:

Steel rings, steel mag box,steel bottom metal, steel floorplate, steel bolt shroud.

All this dmn steel. Will it be as smooth as Steely Dan? Probably not.

Smooth enough to get those plasTikka fan-boys all caddy as sht though.

In the dozens of villages I've been to, Ruger bolt guns are all over. In the thousands of miles of river Ive run, Ruger bolt guns in many hunters hands.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/10/20
Personally I vastly prefer the Mk II stainless to the Hawkeye AW. I don't care for the finish on the AW it scratches too easily and looks like crap after a while. The MK II is the perfect rifle for all weather such as what you get in Alaska.
Posted By: JPro Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/10/20
I'm rather fond of my Hawkeye Predator in .308. No, it's not as smooth-cycling as many others when you take it out of the box, but it fit the bill for a magnum-weight stainless/laminate sporter. Easy to shoot, partly due to the weight and the 2-stage target trigger. Did pick up an extra ring in the next lowest height so I could get the Leupold down low.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Jpro,
When you said you picked up an extra ring, was the height proper to just transfer your front factory supplied ring to the rear? I've noticed that they're selling single ruger rings, which is confusing.
Just read the ruger scope ring chart. That's mighty cool:

The factory supplied front medium ring, is used as the rear ring for lowering scope. Only requiring a single additional ring to purchase.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Personally I vastly prefer the Mk II stainless to the Hawkeye AW. I don't care for the finish on the AW it scratches too easily and looks like crap after a while. The MK II is the perfect rifle for all weather such as what you get in Alaska.

Is Ruger still using that delicate matte finish? When the Hawkeyes first came out the finish was easily blemished. Eventually they went to a satin finish but I haven't kept up with how they're doing them for specific configs like the Hawkeye AW.

The main improvement to the Hawkeye for me is the slimmer stock.
Posted By: lastround Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

My sentiments exactly!
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/11/20
I own 3 left handed Hawkeyes, all are stainless with the gray laminated stocks, .270 Win, .25-06 and .300 WM. All three have trigger springs from "Ernie the gunsmith". I bedded the .25-06 and the .300 WM, although they shot acceptably before hand. The .25-06 is the most accurate gun I own, the .300 WM and .270 are right behind it. They're all nice positive feeding and extracting guns and the Ruger rings are rock solid.

The only possible improvements that I could see Ruger making is a slightly larger safety (like a Win 70 style) and less bolt throw. With some of the euro scopes (with the larger ocular size) it can get a little close.
Posted By: JPro Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/11/20
Just read the ruger scope ring chart. That's mighty cool:

The factory supplied front medium ring, is used as the rear ring for lowering scope. Only requiring a single additional ring to purchase.

Yes indeed. Works well with 40mm 1” Leupold models.
Posted By: 25aught6 Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I own 3 left handed Hawkeyes, all are stainless with the gray laminated stocks, .270 Win, .25-06 and .300 WM. All three have trigger springs from "Ernie the gunsmith". I bedded the .25-06 and the .300 WM, although they shot acceptably before hand. The .25-06 is the most accurate gun I own, the .300 WM and .270 are right behind it. They're all nice positive feeding and extracting guns and the Ruger rings are rock solid.

The only possible improvements that I could see Ruger making is a slightly larger safety (like a Win 70 style) and less bolt throw. With some of the euro scopes (with the larger ocular size) it can get a little close.

I too own a LH SS/LAM Hawkeye in 25-06. less then 20 rounds fired. removed the scope and put it back in the safe.Gotta love the 24" mag conyour barrel on it. Just thought I'd set it aside after i watched them dry up so fast. Guess I'm waitting for the right trade to come down the line. If not I will happily keep it.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/11/20
I wish companies like howa would quit trying to pass cerekote off as stainless. They don't cerekote the bore and that's where I like some extra corrosion resistance. If they want to narrow what they are manufacturing drop the blued steel stuff and make everything out of stainless.

If peopled want blued looking or matte black guns offer the stainless in a nitrided version. I wonder how many more dollars stainless material is at their cost verses blued steel. You don't have to blue or coat SS so it seems like that could offset some of the steel material price differences.

Bb
Posted By: 25aught6 Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/11/20
An all American, all SS rifle with a durable stock of any material.... What if it would weigh upwards of 8-9#'s ready to hunt? What if it only shot minute of deer to a mere 350-400yds? What if it didn't have TACT-I-COOL stamped on it anywhere? Nice thought. Will never work unfortunately. If someone takes this idea and runs with it or already has, please let me know. I'll take three!

Posted By: hookeye Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/11/20
Just got a mk2 .308 boat paddle. Needs cleaned up a bit ( total camo spray can job by prev owner ).
Metal is back to bare stainless.

The stock would be Ok w decent recoil pad and reg studs for swivels.

Looks like Leupold doesnt make stainless med rings for Rugers anymore.
I hate Ruger rings.
Posted By: MosesTucker Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/11/20

Hahaha well said. And I love my Tikka. But I love my Ruger more. Very we’ll said!
Posted By: Lw308 Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/12/20
To answer the original post: I have often wondered that myself. A good and stout synthetic stock, nice quality of SS for the barred action and a decent price tag!!! Imho the Hawkeye is nothing like my 2 Mkii rifles. The checkering on the Hawkeye is all messed up and fine detail ain't there. Buy used or a Tikka.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by Lw308
To answer the original post: I have often wondered that myself. A good and stout synthetic stock, nice quality of SS for the barred action and a decent price tag!!! Imho the Hawkeye is nothing like my 2 Mkii rifles. The checkering on the Hawkeye is all messed up and fine detail ain't there. Buy used or a Tikka.

IMO the Mark II is a turd compared to the Hawkeye
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/12/20
I have had very accurate MKII and Hawkeye rifles and some of both that were only so so. I have had several that developed ejector issues and some MKII especially that had awful factory triggers. That said, I really like the whole M77 series and find myself hunting with them a lot.
Posted By: 308ld Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/14/20
How frickin stupid does Ruger have too be too not offer just a basic fuggin Hawkeye with a stainless barrel with a decent synthetic stock.

Oh and I forgot too add don’t flute the stupid barrel . Don’t flute the stupid bolt, a normal looking bolt handle oh and just get a freaking hinged floor plate. How dang hard is it?

Well, back in 2009 when I bought this 308 Ruger Hawkeye All Weather, that is exactly what it was. Non fluted barrel / bolt with a hinged floor plate. But then I had the bolt and barrel fluted. I like it fluted, different strokes, Grandkids did the paint job.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/14/20
Originally Posted by 308ld
How frickin stupid does Ruger have too be too not offer just a basic fuggin Hawkeye with a stainless barrel with a decent synthetic stock.

Oh and I forgot too add don’t flute the stupid barrel . Don’t flute the stupid bolt, a normal looking bolt handle oh and just get a freaking hinged floor plate. How dang hard is it?

Well, back in 2009 when I bought this 308 Ruger Hawkeye All Weather, that is exactly what it was. Non fluted barrel / bolt with a hinged floor plate. But then I had the bolt and barrel fluted. I like it fluted, different strokes, Grandkids did the paint job.

What's it weigh now?
Posted By: 308ld Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/14/20
Well, it's not a lightweight. All up just like it is 7lbs 13oz. I also have an Ultra Lite Ruger Hawkeye, .257 Roberts, 20" barrel, Standard action, Blued/walnut, and that weights 7lbs 14oz all up.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/14/20
Originally Posted by 308ld
Well, it's not a lightweight. All up just like it is 7lbs 13oz. I also have an Ultra Lite Ruger Hawkeye, .257 Roberts, 20" barrel, Standard action, Blued/walnut, and that weights 7lbs 14oz all up.

Thanks. Here's a link to a lightened Ruger: ruger guide gun 416....extreme make over
Posted By: Iron_ghost Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/18/20
I’m surprised they don’t offer a stainless/all weather version as well. Perhaps they have a new model that’s coming out with ceracote or something. Seems to be the trend.
Nitrocarburized/FNC barrels would be awesome.

For those who don’t know, Ruger has a “Tell the CEO” option where you can send emails to the CEO directly.
I just sent a message yesterday asking about a stainless/synthetic Hawkeye (as well as a few other suggestions). Wish I would’ve suggested FNC barrels as well.

Here’s the link if anyone wants to write him:

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO/
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/18/20
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I wish companies like howa would quit trying to pass cerekote off as stainless. They don't cerekote the bore and that's where I like some extra corrosion resistance. If they want to narrow what they are manufacturing drop the blued steel stuff and make everything out of stainless.

If peopled want blued looking or matte black guns offer the stainless in a nitrided version. I wonder how many more dollars stainless material is at their cost verses blued steel. You don't have to blue or coat SS so it seems like that could offset some of the steel material price differences.

Bb

You can thank LSI, the importer, not Howa, for that. I suspect they thought they could turn a quick buck somehow with that bad idea. Weatherby still sells some in SS, and lo and behold, LSI has a couple too, including a SS with a walnut stock, which was the model I inquired about at my LGS. Someone on here from OZ said that they even get SS Minis. I’m hoping that eventually Brownells, the exclusive distributer here for the barreled actions, will snag some in SS eventually.

I have a Knight ML that’s nitride over SS, about as good as it gets.
Posted By: oldpinecricker Re: Ruger Hawkeye SS - 10/18/20
It even worse for left handed folk. I feel fortunate in that I picked up one of the Ruger Scout rifles in 308 and a Hawkeye compact riflenin 338RCM. Other than the bolt starting out a little rough in action I really love these rifles and the compact feel and handling. The triggers on mine are excellent and they are accurate rifles. I am planning on getting a stainless scout version if possible.

Ive got some old milsurp collectable 30-06 rifles but nothing left hand. I always wanted a commercial left hand 30-06 and yesterday I picked up a used MKII 30-06 locally. The finish is blued but far better than current Ruger products and the action while longer than my short action versions is smooth and tighter. The MKII is nicely put together but the trigger is amongst the worst on a bolt action ive come across. Price was $400 but I feel that is fair and I walked away with a true left hand 30-06 ive always wanted and I will address the trigger myself. I truly wish Ruger would just keep some models of stainless available for the 77 Hawkeye models. They don't have to make huge runs, but at least enough to supply the market and get the finish up to level it was in the tanger and MKII era. Im happy to have the 3 left hand 77 riflesni scored and they are my go to bolt actions. Theres plenty of crappy synthetic stocked rifles out there companies build for cheap and sell for high profit margin. Lots of them. But whats really lacking in the market are the classic hunting rifles and we are losing that heritage. There isn't any more Remington (i could care less), and winchester really doesn't exist anymore, and Ruger is alive and well but mostly caters to the polymer and cheap product market. I hope Ruger at least does runs of their classic rifles in the future.
© 24hourcampfire