Home
Posted By: Dogger Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
To assemble your “go-to - first pick out of the safe - go anywhere all-around rifle for the lower 48 for non-dangerous game that you eat”

The $1500 budget covers the rifle, rings, and bases (not scope)...

What would you put together, and why? What range of game and what environments? If you saved any $$, what are they put against? You already have a reliable range finder. And Binos.
Posted By: jwall Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
MY answer is obvious and you probably get 2 rifles for $1500.

2 diff cartridges -- ALL Wx, aka, synthetic, stocks......

Let's see what others have to say.

Later

Jerry
Posted By: 16bore Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Tikka T3 in a chambering if your choice, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 3-9.

Go forth and whack schit.....
I just built a 308 with a new Remington receiver, new bolt that is fluted, custom bolt handle, a 3 position safety Obermeyer 11.25 5R barrel, Shilen trigger, and a B&C stock with aluminum bedding block. It was bedded and cerrokoted by David Christman (ACGG). 15 rounds down the barrel.
You can have it for $1800 with scope bases and rings.
Add up the parts and tell me what it would cost to build.
Posted By: okie john Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Lots of ways to answer to this question. I’d look at the Remington M-700, the Tikka T3x, and the Winchester M-70 chambered for 30-06, 308, 270, or 7mm RM. Barrel length would be between 22” and 24”. I’d definitely go stainless/synthetic plus a fixed 4x or a good 2.5-8 or 3-9 variable with an objective bell smaller than about 45mm in field-detachable mounts. I’d zero it at 200 yards with the heaviest bullet that the chosen cartridge will move at 2,700 fps, and go forth.

My latest attempt is based on a Remington Model 700 ADL Package Rifle (https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-adl-stainless-synthetic-scope). I replaced the bases with Nikon Weaver-style bases, then started testing cheap factory loads. Remington 150-grain CoreLokt ammo and Winchester 150-grain Power Points both went sub-MOA with velocities over 2,800 fps, so I was happy. I wanted to make as few mods as possible, but I also wanted a shorter barrel, better groups if I could get them, and the ability to shoot with a tight sling without the POI shifting.

I had Brett Evans of NW Armswerkes (https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Interest/NW-Armswerkes-453136081456406/) cut the barrel to 22”, bed it into an HS Precision stock, and provide factory BDL-style bottom metal. He determined that this rifle was actually chambered for 7.62 NATO, so he ground 0.005” off of the recoil lung to make it a 308 as marked. Work took 12 days.
  • With bases but without optics, it weighs 6.92 pounds as opposed to 6.51 before (and the 6.3 of a Tikka) and the balance is a bit farther aft.
  • Weight with a 4x Leupold (shown) is 7 pounds, 11 ounces—heavier than a lot of options but it balances well. It's also easier to shoot well than a flyweight.
  • About 2/3 of the barrel lettering is below the stock line due to the recoil lug modification. Not ideal but not a deal breaker.
  • I can definitely feel the shorter chamber—closing the bolt on RP factory cartridges reveals a very snug fit that wasn't there before, and I can’t close the bolt at all on some handloads that were a snug fit before.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It shoots better in initial load testing but I’m not the guy to get the most out of it from the bench. It groups several loads in less than 1.5" at 200 yards pretty often, and while it doesn't shoot the 150-grain PowerPoint load as well as it once did, it's still pretty good with plain old 150-grain CoreLokts.

Reduced-power deer load.

Favorite factory load.

My round count is just shy of 900, and the barrel seems to be settling in and getting more accurate.

This rifle is more accurate than I can hold and powerful enough for anything I can afford to hunt. Total cost was about $1,100 without glass. Use the rest of your budget for ammo.

Okie John
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
A CLR/NULA hybrid would come in around $1,500, less if you opted to use the original barrel in 270, 30-06, 7MM RM, or 300 WM.

CLRs are often dismissed, but if you talk to Mr. Forbes you get a very different perspective.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
I think my current Kimber Montana .308 with its Leupold VXII 2-7x33 pretty much fits your criteria. Suitable for any medium to large game from 10 yds to as far as I'm comfortable shooting.
I'd buy a Tikka and spend the rest on a couple of hookers. I damned sure wouldn't buy a Christensen Arms Mesa, A Nosler Liberty, a Remington 5R or any Ruger.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
T3X and a used 3-12x LRHS.
Posted By: lhead71 Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Tikka T3x stainless light, talley rings, Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 x 36. Total for new stuff $ Rifle -$800.00 scope $399.00, rings $50, money left for ammo $250.00. If used, even less.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
I just did this with a howa 1500. Sold the package scope and put on a straight 6 weaver k6. 30-06.

Cost me $399.

I think a lot of us over think and overspend the simplicity of this hobby. Including me.
Posted By: JPro Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Yeah, I'd probably just buy an SS T3X in .270win and put the rest of the funds toward the glass and loading supplies. Run a good 140/150gr around 3,000fps. Rather boring, but in a good way.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by 16bore

and there you go
Under $1500 would mean any rifle in my safe. It could mean as many as 3 or 4 of them, depending on which ones were picked.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I just built a 308 with a new Remington receiver, new bolt that is fluted, custom bolt handle, a 3 position safety Obermeyer 11.25 5R barrel, Shilen trigger, and a B&C stock with aluminum bedding block. It was bedded and cerrokoted by David Christman (ACGG). 15 rounds down the barrel.

Way more than $1800, fo' sho'.
Winchester M 70 Featherweight in a .270 Win.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

That $300 over budget would be $300 well spent.
Originally Posted by Fotis

and there you go

Except mine is sitting in LW’s with a 6x42 /M1.

For now......😉
Posted By: Fotis Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
That would work also
Originally Posted by Fotis
That would work also

It’s a Leupold, so “until it doesn’t” Ha!
Originally Posted by jwall
MY answer is obvious and you probably get 2 rifles for $1500.

2 diff cartridges -- ALL Wx, aka, synthetic, stocks......

Let's see what others have to say.
Later

BINGO

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'd buy a Tikka and spend the rest on a couple of hookers.

BINGO x2

Originally Posted by JGRaider
T3X and a used 3-12x LRHS.

BINGO x3

Originally Posted by lhead71
Tikka T3x stainless light, talley rings, Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 x 36. Total for new stuff $ Rifle -$800.00 scope $399.00, rings $50, money left for ammo $250.00.

BINGO x4

Originally Posted by JPro
Yeah, I'd probably just buy an SS T3X in .270win and put the rest of the funds toward the glass and loading supplies.

BINGO x5

X 6 counting MINE. PLUS

Originally Posted by Dogger
To assemble your “go-to - first pick out of the safe - go anywhere all-around rifle for the lower 48 for non-dangerous game that you eat”

You didn't include a scope... assuming UHH supposing, you have a scope.

A Tikka T3X SS Lite in 30-06 OR 7 RM..... all weather equipped, all around, ALL game in North America.

Seems simple to me.

GOOD Luck

Jerry
Posted By: Dogger Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
interesting... one-offs to CLR, M70, Howa, and Kimber, a couple builds on Remington actions, and a buttload of Tikka
Boring Elmer Fudd Fest.....
Used fieldcraft with Talley lightweights
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
interesting... one-offs to CLR, M70, Howa, and Kimber, a couple builds on Remington actions, and a buttload of Tikka

A diverse audience is likely to reply with equally diverse answers to the same question.

I offered the CLR/NULA hybrid because it falls within your budget and, IMO, you get more value from it than you would from a regular production factory built rifle. I think that a person who has a modicum of both hunting and shooting skills could successfully hunt North American game with a wide variety of rifles chambered for any of the four cartridges that the CLR was made in.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
260Remguy-

Agree 100%. My "Melvinized" CLR's have continued to impress me with accuracy and very easy to carry!
I'd buy a Tikka and spend the rest on a couple of hookers. I damned sure wouldn't buy a Christensen Arms Mesa, A Nosler Liberty, a Remington 5R or any Ruger.

Did you end up snagging one of the CDNN Rugers? Mine turned out pretty good.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
A CLR/NULA hybrid would come in around $1,500, less if you opted to use the original barrel in 270, 30-06, 7MM RM, or 300 WM.

This, or a fieldcraft.

Do you have to wonder Why ?

Jerry
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

Did you end up snagging one of the CDNN Rugers? Mine turned out pretty good.

Nope.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Used fieldcraft with Talley lightweights

Bingo
Posted By: Brian Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
If I wasn’t doing a lot of mountain hunting a used beretta mato would check those boxes - add Talley bases and rings and a ultimate firearms sling
guns international and guns America each have a 7mm remington magnum listed

Load it midway has Remington copper 140 grain TSX in stock
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Factory options:

Tikka T3 of your preferred flavor. 308,7mm08, 270,30-06

Kimber of your flavor in above add 280AI

Browning XBolt of your flavor

Weatherby Vanguard of your flavor

Win model 70 plus a Edge stock and trigger work

Any money saved put towards glass or reloading
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/15/20
Pawn shop JC Higgins Model 50. FN commercial Mauser action, High Standard chrome lined barrel. $300. Chambered in .30/06. Burris Scope for another $225. Shoots factory 150 grain Federals into 3/4 inch at 100 yards. I am good to go, and under budget. 😜
Posted By: moosemike Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/16/20
Kimber Hunter in 270 Winchester

You'd be a chit wacking mother fu cker with that set-up.. Fo sure.. Some guys think there's "lots of ways to answer" this question, but damn why not keep it simple? Guys that like accuracy, lightweight, no fuss and a nice balanced rifle that will slay the f out of chidt will pick Tikka... Nuff said..
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/16/20

Jerry

It's a no brainer........Mr. Freaking MaGoo can shoot a Tikka under MOA.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Jerry

It's a no brainer........Mr. Freaking MaGoo can shoot a Tikka under MOA.

It does make being a looney and wanting to try other rifles frustrating. A Tikka T3 is about the most confidence inspiring rifle purchase I can think of. I’ve tried a ton of different setups but nothing that worked as well right out of the box as they do.
Posted By: go_bears Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/16/20
No doubt I'd look for a used fieldcraft. From the four I've handled 243, 2x 6.5, 270 they've never shot worse than 3/4 moa, most 1/2in. The balance and feel is a step up from tikka. I have two tikkas that are very accurate but they don't have the feel or craftsmanship of the Barrett. You'll never feel bad picking it out of the safe and running the bolt.
Posted By: JGray Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/16/20

I did just this when Whittakers closed out the last of the Fieldcrafts: 1:9 twist 270. I think it was a little under $1500, plus Talley LW's. I already had a SWFA 3-9 to put on it. RE26 with 150 Accubond LR at 3120 fps or 165 Accubond LR at 2930 fps and 1/2 - 3/4 MOA for both.

I think I would go with a Tikka Stainless Laminate in 308 Win. I think its the best looking of the Tikka hunting rifles and it would a great all weather Swiss army knife.

Buy a used Sako 85 short action ~950
Buy a Krieger 6.5mm barrel ~325
Have a friendly smith chamber it for you to 6.5 creed, or 260.

Shoots flat out to 300yds , w/ little or no kick, the Krieger will like any weight you throw at it..

You can shoot it out to 1k yards if you want to, for a hunting rifle a 260 is what I went with ... I still have the reamer smile
Posted By: rj308 Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/16/20

Over my lifetime, I spent a huge amount of money on Guns, motorcycles, booze and women. The rest my money, I spent foolishly. RJ
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/16/20
I would go Kimber montana for plastic or win mod 70 supergrade for wood
Posted By: tas6691 Re: Given a budget of $1500 - 10/16/20
Sauer 100 Ceratec or a used Cooper Excaliber. Talley Lightweights most likely.
© 24hourcampfire