Home
Posted By: hanco Which 270?? - 10/17/20
Would you choose the 270 WCF, 270 WSM, or the 270 Weatherby? I have all three, like them all, but I’d go the 270 WSM if I could only have one.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
270 WCF.. Ain't nothing like the real thing!
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
The original. No critter will know the difference.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
Bullets will always matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,which is why the trio sucks ass. Hint.

Pass the 280,7 Whizzum and 7mm Rem Mag and hold The Fluff.

Hint................
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
An 8-twist 270 WCF is the way to go, out of your choices. More and more good bullets out there for a fast-twist 270, and the old standards will shoot just fine too. The extra pop of the larger cartridges is just not needed.
Posted By: hanco Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Bullets will always matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,which is why the trio sucks ass. Hint.

Hint................

I’m more of a 7 mag guy myself, never owned a 280, but might someday. The 270’s are fun to shoot, better deer cartridges I think, but what the hell do I know??
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
An 8-twist 270 WCF is the way to go, out of your choices. More and more good bullets out there for a fast-twist 270, and the old standards will shoot just fine too. The extra pop of the larger cartridges is just not needed.

KchuntShoot,

The only things you "shoot",are your mouth and Imagination...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now do "tell",what bullets you are shooting in "your" 1-8" 270? You know,the Imaginary ones you Pretend with. As an aside,just how "loud' is your Imagination,when you "shoot" it? Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon reality. Hint.

LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your heart for trying,you Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20

KchuntShoot,

The only things you "shoot",are your mouth and Imagination...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now do "tell",what bullets you are shooting in "your" 1-8" 270? You know,the Imaginary ones you Pretend with. As an aside,just how "loud' is your Imagination,when you "shoot" it? Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon reality. Hint.

LAUGHING!

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

Larry, when I want opinions on how awful it feels to lose a son to suicide or how n i g g e r dicks taste, I'll ask you. Other than than that, you are an expert only in being a prick, and I don't care. Run along now, boy.
Posted By: comerade Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
A .270 WCF, with a quality bullet is the ticket for myself.
With the latest developments in powders, it rivals anything out there and plenty for mature Bull Elk.
Even out of a 22" barrel it has lots of downrange capability. The WSM and the Weatherby might be a little tougher to shoot well, consistently well. ( with a short tube)
Sheep hunters minimize weight and bulk and most won't use a repeater with a 24 or 26" barrel. Cheers- .Good luck
kchuntshoot,

I am VERY "surprised",that you can speak in vivid detail regarding your Homoerotic Experiences,while you must GoogleFu all things The Rifle...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist,if only to your Whining Chagrin and Crying Karen Routine,which is assuredly no "Act" you Magnificently CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktard. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for doing your best and perhaps comment on what you "do"' for a "living",which precludes your having a First Fhuqking Clue?

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

cumrag,

It'll only come as a "surprise" to you,that Propellants are NOT bore specific,yet boolits are...you 'lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

As bore size increases,like barrel lengths loose less velocity at like length,with like case capacity. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
‘Stick,

How many RPMs to stabilize that thing in a 7-08 AI?

Posted By: Montivagant Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
For those that can read, 8-twist.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
.270 Winchester
Posted By: comerade Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
kchuntshoot,

I am VERY "surprised",that you can speak in vivid detail regarding your Homoerotic Experiences,while you must GoogleFu all things The Rifle...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist,if only to your Whining Chagrin and Crying Karen Routine,which is assuredly no "Act" you Magnificently CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktard. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for doing your best and perhaps comment on what you "do"' for a "living",which precludes your having a First Fhuqking Clue?

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

cumrag,

It'll only come as a "surprise" to you,that Propellants are NOT bore specific,yet boolits are...you 'lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

As bore size increases,like barrel lengths loose less velocity at like length,with like case capacity. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

your posts are unintelligible. This is an upbeat thread regardless of your nonsense
David,

I cain't know the minimum,for a couple/few reasons. Hint.

1) I only have whole value RPM's in said chambering(8").
2) Though it's low tide now here in Kansas,Winter has yet to arrive and atmospherics affect stability a "smidge"
3) They pinwheel in 7-08 SALAMI at 8",in the current atmosphere

The hurdles are gonna be COAL latitude/throat geometry,as the bitches do have some "length",if only to horn KchuntShoot up even more. Hint. LAUGHING!

7-08AI/190 at a mocked 3.00" COAL. I don't have any rifles so chambered,that'll get that far in regards to mag confines,as I drive AICS binderless for .025"-ish less latitude. Hint.

Someone was musing Montucky 84L COAL confines,ala 7mm Mouser Improved and it'd jive nicely,with a thunk to throating,which is of course easily arranged. Hint.

Coming full circle,the easiest pitch is a 700 L/A and I'd just as soon drive 280 SALAMI as anything. No thang to reap 5rds in the belly and it's turn-key Awesomeness,with ZERO trade-offs or bullschit. Win/win. Hint.

Here's a 162 ELD M,175 NPT,180 ELD and the 190 Beer Can,if only in extrapolation. Hint.

Food for thunking.

Thank me later.

Hint..................

Mossykchunt,

Stabilization is factored by Gross RPM and Atmosphere,though I'm sure the number "8" makes you giddy...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Gross RPM is different at 1000fps,than it is at 3000fps,despite a 1-8" constant. Read that again. now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for "shooting" your Imagination and Pretend.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

cumrag,

You be SURE to cite any/all words that are "too big" or "too Technical"and I'll happily hand you more opportunity to prove you are a CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Are you trying to horn KchuntShoot up with your syncopations? Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for Whining,you Fhuqking CLUELESS Crying Karen.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
Thanks.

A 280 might be the ticket
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
I am saving up my lwr 48 money to buy a box of them 190s. LOL grin
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20

270 W.C.F. and 130 gr. Partitions for the last 40 years when chasing PA and NY bucks. Never wanted or needed anything else.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
Whichever rifle you like the best. The animals won't know the difference between the 3. I have both a .270 and a WSM. I really like the rifle the WSM is chambered in so I use it often. That being said a .270 WCF lives in my truck (Stevens 200). The animals I shoot don't seem to know the difference.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
I’ve been well served by the standard 270 Winchester. Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
Have nothing bad to say about the 270.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Which 270?? - 10/17/20
Nothing has been or can ever be killed with a 270. Because of COAL and RPM, it bounces off game.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Which 270?? - 10/18/20
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Nothing has been or can ever be killed with a 270. Because of COAL and RPM, it bounces off game.

There is that as well.
Posted By: Dre Re: Which 270?? - 10/18/20
I’m waiting to see what the 277 furry will do out of longer tube.
In mean time the old faithful 270 win will so just fine.
Posted By: Shag Re: Which 270?? - 10/21/20

KchuntShoot,

Pardon reality. Hint.

LAUGHING!

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

How's it perform on big game? Pics? You gonna Imagine? lol
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Which 270?? - 10/21/20
I have 2 different 270 wins there both good shooters. At 1 time I had a m70 pf carbine, it shot ok but the muzzle blast from the short 20" barrel really sucked so it went down the road. I also have a Mark V Sporter in 270 Weatherby mag , it shoots 150 gr Horn SP's at 3150 fps very accurately and kills deer and antelope rfn. Until you try thr 270 Weatherby don't knock it they are amazing.
MB
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Which 270?? - 10/21/20
Originally Posted by hanco
Would you choose the 270 WCF, 270 WSM, or the 270 Weatherby? I have all three, like them all, but I’d go the 270 WSM if I could only have one.

Limited to these choices....my choice would be none of the above.

My centerfire fancy begins at .284 & ends at .308.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Which 270?? - 10/22/20
I have a 270win shooting 130s at 3100 and the wsm shooting 140s at 3200. Both are 1/2” guns. I tend to grab the wsm...and would be confident with it for everything between deer and elk with the 140 accubonds. YMMV. No question a 270win is adequate for the same, I just prefer the wsm. Both are Tikka 3x models so it’s not the rifle.
Posted By: hanco Re: Which 270?? - 10/22/20
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I have a 270win shooting 130s at 3100 and the wsm shooting 140s at 3200. Both are 1/2” guns. I tend to grab the wsm...and would be confident with it for everything between deer and elk with the 140 accubonds. YMMV. No question a 270win is adequate for the same, I just prefer the wsm. Both are Tikka 3x models so it’s not the rifle.

I use the 140 Accubonds in all three.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Which 270?? - 10/23/20
My interests in the 270 have gone the direction of the 6.8 SPC
Posted By: szihn Re: Which 270?? - 10/23/20
I have owned 7 different 270 Winchesters and also one 270 WSM. I killed deer, atelope and elk with the Short mag and I have killed most American game except buffalo and moose with my various 270 Winchesters, starting in 1968. And I did kill about 12-14 horses and cattle with my 270 when I was a kid on the ranch. I hunt with a man that's been using the 270 Weatherby for about 20 years, so I have seen a lot of game killed with that round too.

Of the 3 you listed I'd still go back to the Original.

as of nowI own a 25-06, a 6.5 Mannlicher, three 270 Winchesters, two 308s, a 303 British, two 300 Savages, three 30-06s a 300 H&H and an 8MM Mauser and then my bore sizes jump up to .366, 375 and 423". But from 25 to 32 calibers of the rifles I still own now, and including many I have owned and sold or traded off, I have to say the 270 Winchester seems to kill all game up to and including bull elk as well and in many cases a bit better then any of them. (Yes I do include the 300 mags, the 7MM Mags and the 338 mag)

Why?

I can't really say,--------- but that's what I have seen over the last 1/2 century. Mathematically it should NOT do as well as the 7MM Mags 300s and the 338s. But it has for me and has for over 50 years. In all my hunting and guiding hunters, if used with good bullets for the job, I have not seen the old 270 ever lack for anything.

The largest game animals I have personally killed with 270s were bull elk and the largest non-game animals I have killed with them were cattle. The largest game I ever saw killed with 270s were 3 moose and one bull bison shot by this man.>>> https://www.wyofile.com/the-life-of-a-trapping-legend/ Jake killed that big bull with one round of Factory Remington 150 grain Round Nose to the neck from about 125 yards, and the buffalo dropped instantly.

Posted By: Tejano Re: Which 270?? - 10/23/20
The 270 win. has panache the others don't have. I am shooting the WSM now and once I got past the advertising hype I like it a lot. Have not shot the 270 Weatherby having always had one or more 7mm RM around, but it is easy to see why it was a favorite of Ed Weatherby. My sons 270 Colt/NULA is a sweet and very practical rig. Light but heavy enough to shoot well. My 270 WSM is in a feather weight hunters edge stock and under 8lbs fully ready to hunt. Last couple of times it got the nod for Elk hunting as my 7RM and 300 Win. are a pound to a pound and a half heavier.

So, I can't decide, but I think everyone should have a 270 Win. the others are nice too.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Which 270?? - 10/23/20
In my early years, I could not abide the thought of the 270 WCF. I had a hunting partner that used it to the exclusion of everything else. I giggled and called it a poodle rifle but in reality, every time I heard that rifle crack, I got up and started in his direction, because I KNEW he had game down. He shot nothing but 130 grain Remington Core-Lokts. Still does. Now, myself, I was a 7mm/08 man and then a few other cartridges too. Call me more of an experimenter and he more of a traditionalist. Fast forward, I get a chance to order a rifle gratis. Christensen arms. Pick the rifle. Pick the cartridge....I end up with a 270 Winchester. If I don't reload, or if I do. the 270 will fill the freezer. Easily. I have no illusions that it can be eclipsed by other cartridges but with factory familiarity is what it is. I keep this rifle to ensure meat in the freezer.
Posted By: CRS Re: Which 270?? - 10/23/20
All three just to piss off BS.... crazy Just wish you guys would quit quoting him. Ignore is a wonderful thing.

I just own plain old 270 WCF's. Seem to work, but then I do not feel the need to pursue LR hunting. I have fast twist 22's and 6.5's for playing around with steel.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Which 270?? - 10/23/20
Originally Posted by hanco

I bet if you did, it wouldn't take very long for you to start missing the 270 Win enough to sell that 270WSM and buy another 270 Win! wink
Posted By: beretzs Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by Poconojack

270 W.C.F. and 130 gr. Partitions for the last 40 years when chasing PA and NY bucks. Never wanted or needed anything else.

Bob crushed a pile of stuff with the same combo as well. As much as there is better today it still does great work.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by CRS
Just wish you guys would quit quoting him.

It's not the quoting that is a problem, per se; rather, it is quoting to highlight one portion; but, failing to realize everything not germane can be deleted from the quote portion of the post. For example, see what I did to the quote from CRS. I removed all portions not relevant to my post.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20
It's not the quoting that is a problem, per se; rather, it is quoting to highlight one portion; but, failing to realize everything not germane can be deleted from the quote portion of the post.

The Germans ain't got nothing to do with it ! (sorry couldn't help myself)

Posted By: CRS Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by CRS
Just wish you guys would quit quoting him.

It's not the quoting that is a problem, per se; rather, it is quoting to highlight one portion; but, failing to realize everything not germane can be deleted from the quote portion of the post. For example, see what I did to the quote from CRS. I removed all portions not relevant to my post.

No, The problem is BS's drivel and 24hr campfire persona. Ignore is a wonderful thing.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by GeoW
270 WCF.. Ain't nothing like the real thing!

And I've never found it lacking on game, up thru & including moose so of those 3, the Win version, hands down.

But................if you have a choice in a new rifle then the 280 excels & makes the most sense, if for no other reason, it shines brightly with 160's & there are a plethora of really good 160 grain bullets available.

And the 7-08 ain't bad either; magnum sized rounds, either belted or not, don't spin my prop much.

MM
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20
270Win for me. Load it with 150 Partitions and you’re good to go for most North American game. Old combo, but still highly effective.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by 1911a1
It's not the quoting that is a problem, per se; rather, it is quoting to highlight one portion; but, failing to realize everything not germane can be deleted from the quote portion of the post.

The Germans ain't got nothing to do with it ! (sorry couldn't help myself)

That made me laugh out loud, not just the typing of LOL, but, literally, laugh out loud. I could laugh myself sick watching nothing but clips of Jackie Gleason from the Smokey and the Bandit movies.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20

Hint................

I assume you're the "fluff"?
I own a Terramark MK V in 270 Bee. 129 LRX at well over 3400 fps. Shoots great! Love it!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by Fotis
I own a Terramark MK V in 270 Bee. 129 LRX at well over 3400 fps. Shoots great! Love it!

If I had a drooling emoji I'd insert it here. Fine rifle.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Which 270?? - 10/29/20
If you can't kill any of the non-dangerous species of North American game with a properly constructed bullet fired from a 270 WIN you're probably not much of a hunter. Of course the same could be said of many cartridge/bullet combinations. The 270 is too easy, too common, too conventional for people who like to take the road less traveled.
Thank you sir!

Shoots great too

She will be wearing a Vortex Razor HD LTH 3-15x42mm starting today.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Which 270?? - 10/30/20
Originally Posted by Fotis

That’s a beautiful gun!!!
Posted By: pullit Re: Which 270?? - 10/30/20
I have owned 2 or the 3 270's listed, never owned a 270 Bee. That being said I would not feel under gunned with any, but would chose the 270 Win. in these times just for the fact that ammo would be easier to find. And brass could be made from an 06 with one stroke of the handle.
© 24hourcampfire