Home
Posted By: longshot3 338 Federal options? - 10/18/20
I am really thinking hard on getting one. Would like a medium range "woods rifle", stainless/synthetic. The Hawkeye would be sweet, but who else made them? I know Savage made some. Anyone else?

Thanks!
Posted By: BRLMKR Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/18/20
Longshot you have a P.M..
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/18/20
Originally Posted by BRLMKR
Longshot you have a P.M..

Replied
Posted By: bwinters Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/18/20
Buy a Kimber 84M in 308, 257, or 243 and have it rebarreled with a Lilja 84m mod taper by shooter 71 You have $1500 in it but it will shoot well and last a lifetime. That's the route I took. A bit pricey but it shoots excellent and I really like the Montana platform.

Or have said calibers rebored by JES.
Sounds like a wonderful tool. Theres great things about 338, 348, and 358 bore moving along at moderate speeds. Enough range and plenty of performance without the need of super premium bullet too. Good ol cup and core work fine. Just so much to like
Posted By: mibowhunter Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/19/20
I had one built on a 700 action. I like it,but life got in the way and it's just collecting dust. Likes 185 and 210 TTSX over Benchmark..
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/19/20
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
I had one built on a 700 action. I like it,but life got in the way and it's just collecting dust. Likes 185 and 210 TTSX over Benchmark..

If it's the one in the classifieds, I saw that. Looks like a great barreled action.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/19/20

Mine likes 210 Partions over Benchmark.
Posted By: extremesolo Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/19/20
Tikka made them as well. I have a T3 in 338 fed that also likes 210 grain partitions over benchmark.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/19/20
Savage was making them last I knew.
I have a Tikka T3x that JES re-bored from 243 to 338 Federal.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/19/20
It's a small step down from 308 performance with 30-06 recoil.
Posted By: MOW Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/19/20
I had an early browning A-bolt in 243 (22" sporter) rebored by JES to 338 federal. It shoots 180 Woodleigh Weldcore and 160 Barnes X real well and I use it for elk and hogs in the thick stuff. AA-2230, Benchmark and X-Terminator are good powders.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/20/20
A few years back, I took a Savage bolt gun chambered for 338 Federal to Texas and shot a few hogs. I used the Federal Blue Box 200 grain load and enjoyed three bam flop kills. I really like the cartridge and will someday own another rifle so chambered. Likely a Tikka.
Posted By: longbarrel Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/20/20
In 1995, Ken Waters wrote a Pet Loads article on the ..338-308 or 338-08 as it was called before Federal adopted it. See Handloader 177. He found it to be better than the .308 and the .358 Winchester, in his widely experienced opinion.
Posted By: badger Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/20/20
My Mickey built Federal on a 700 action in a McMillan stock has become my go-to rifle for the Georgia woods. 185 TTSX’s flatten hogs and deer quite nicely......
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/20/20
160 Barnes into <1/2", w/o the big scope.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/20/20
I think Savage and Sako are the only manufacturers currently chambering for it. Shaw would probably make one for you.
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/20/20
Mine is a Savage and it outshoots and hits harder then any of my .308's. I am glad I discovered it.
Posted By: kandpand Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/20/20
Originally Posted by badger
My Mickey built Federal on a 700 action in a McMillan stock has become my go-to rifle for the Georgia woods. 185 TTSX’s flatten hogs and deer quite nicely......

Would love to hear the specs and see a picture
Posted By: CoryP Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/20/20
X2
Posted By: CoryP Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/20/20
Originally Posted by kandpand

X2
Posted By: MOW Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/21/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2

That's a sweat Model 99, is it a rebore or a new barrel? What kind of accuracy are you getting?
Posted By: hanco Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/21/20
I have a 99 with a nice stock. I’m sure thinking about making it into a 338 Fed. It be a fun rifle with the 160 TTSX for deer and pigs. I need to quit talking and send it off.
Posted By: badger Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/21/20
Originally Posted by kandpand

Pm me an email address and I’ll send a pic. Since Photobucket got hinky, I don’t post pics any more. It’s a pretty vanilla build, 8 twist Douglas stainless barrel at 23”, blueprinted 700 action in a blue McSwirley. Zeiss Conquest 3X9 scope. Rifle Basix trigger. Pretty light, I would estimate less than 7lb.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/21/20
I ended up finding a Kimber Montana, with most likely, a Pac Nor barrel on it. Turn key rifle with a 3-9 Conquest, dies and brass! Hopefully will have it next week sometime with some freshly punched paper. Really looking forward to shooting it!
Posted By: mibowhunter Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/21/20
Originally Posted by longshot3
I ended up finding a Kimber Montana, with most likely, a Pac Nor barrel on it. Turn key rifle with a 3-9 Conquest, dies and brass! Hopefully will have it next week sometime with some freshly punched paper. Really looking forward to shooting it!

Nice ! Keep us posted on how it shoots.
Posted By: JSH Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/22/20
I lucked into a Kimber 84 Classic at a price I couldn’t refuse. Love the way it handles but would have probably preferred a Montana for the stainless. Mine shot factory 200gr Fusions and 185 TSX pretty good. 200gr Accubond over H4895 has worked well and TAC is starting to show some promise. I think the Kimber is a great platform for the 338Fed.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/22/20

Now that is a SWEET hunting rifle. Too me that has got to be the perfect 338 Federal.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/22/20

Nice ! Keep us posted on how it shoots.

Will do, for sure!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/22/20

Sounds like a great score!
Posted By: Bighunter_338 Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/27/20
So you can pretty much take any 243 or 308, have it rebore to .338 and voila, you have a 338 federal?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/27/20
Basically
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by Bighunter_338
So you can pretty much take any 243 or 308, have it rebore to .338 and voila, you have a 338 federal?

Yep
Posted By: Mjduct Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/29/20
I found a Kimber montana in 338 federal on the broker a few years back, a little cutting and crowning later and I’ve got a 16.5” barrelled hog hammer
Posted By: prm Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/29/20
Find the platform of your choice in any .243, .260, 7-08, or .308, and have JES rebore for ~$250.

FYI, you cannot rebore a 6.5 Creedmoor to a 308 based cartridge. Though the longer 6.5 CM mags for the T3X work very well for allowing longer 338 Fed loads. The Kimber platform limits you to 2.82”.
Posted By: Teeder Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/29/20
Incase anyone cares, there's a pretty nice looking kimber 84m classic in .338 fed on GunBroker right now.
Posted By: rem141r Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/30/20
if you're into shorties, ruger made the 77 frontier in 338. i love mine. handy little bugger. bit of a bark though with the 16.5" barrel but i never need more than 1 shot. probably why i'm deaf as a stone.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/30/20
Longshot3: I sure like my Tikka T-3 in 338 Federal. It shoots great and I even kind of like the detachable magazines.
I have had it about 3 years now.
I have NOT brought any game to bag with it as yet but it always goes along on Spring Bear Hunts and dark timber Elk ventures.
Recoil is mild and the trigger is great.
I have a Zeiss 3x9 variable on it.
It is pleasant to pack up the gated logging roads when Spring Bear Hunting!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: MOW Re: 338 Federal options? - 10/30/20

I'm going to copy you, picked up a Savage 99C. Going to rebarrel it to 338 Federal, Cerakota the barreled action black, internals NP3 and a Boyds pepper laminate stock.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 338 Federal options? - 11/02/20
So I took my rifle to the range with some factory American Eagle 185 soft points and it is shooting a consistent 1.25-1.5 inch group at 100 yes. Perfect for the woods this season.

On a side note, the Zeiss that came on the rifle would not hold zero, so I changed scopes at the range and all was good. Being the great company that they are, Zeiss is replacing the scope with a brand new Z4!

When the season is over in January, I'm going to be working on loads for this rifle. I think I've decided on the 185 ttsx.
Posted By: RyanSinBA Re: 338 Federal options? - 11/04/20
So I took my rifle to the range with some factory American Eagle 185 soft points and it is shooting a consistent 1.25-1.5 inch group at 100 yes. Perfect for the woods this season.

On a side note, the Zeiss that came on the rifle would not hold zero, so I changed scopes at the range and all was good. Being the great company that they are, Zeiss is replacing the scope with a brand new Z4!

When the season is over in January, I'm going to be working on loads for this rifle. I think I've decided on the 185 ttsx.

Awesome to see Zeiss stand behind their product!
Posted By: prm Re: 338 Federal options? - 11/04/20

Good luck finding 185 TTSXs if you don’t already have them. I’m starting on some 185 GMXs because I can’t find any TTSXs for sale.
Posted By: Jonnymac Re: 338 Federal options? - 11/07/20
I have a Montana Xtreme X2 dunno how it shoots the only time I took it to the range I had problems with case extraction with factory Federal Fusion loads. After 3 shots I called it quits and it sat in the safe for a long time. Right now its at the gunsmith I'm guessing it has a rough chamber and the cases are sticking we'll see. There weren't any signs of excessive pressure on the cases.

I should have shot it right away when I bought it but I did not and by the time I did MRC was out of business, so I'll be paying for whatever the fix is on my dime. Hopefully honing the chamber takes care of the issue.

I'm also thinking about maybe getting the barrel cut down a bit (it's 24" from the factory) but I'd like to actually try shooting it for accuracy first as is.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 338 Federal options? - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by prm

Good luck finding 185 TTSXs if you don’t already have them. I’m starting on some 185 GMXs because I can’t find any TTSXs for sale.

Jeeze! I can't find any either! Might have to go the Hornady route as well. The 185 Fusion is hard to find too. Federal uses that in it's MSR line.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 338 Federal options? - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by Jonnymac
I have a Montana Xtreme X2 dunno how it shoots the only time I took it to the range I had problems with case extraction with factory Federal Fusion loads. After 3 shots I called it quits and it sat in the safe for a long time. Right now its at the gunsmith I'm guessing it has a rough chamber and the cases are sticking we'll see. There weren't any signs of excessive pressure on the cases.

I should have shot it right away when I bought it but I did not and by the time I did MRC was out of business, so I'll be paying for whatever the fix is on my dime. Hopefully honing the chamber takes care of the issue.

I'm also thinking about maybe getting the barrel cut down a bit (it's 24" from the factory) but I'd like to actually try shooting it for accuracy first as is.

Hopefully, it's an easy(and inexpensive)fix!
Posted By: Jonnymac Re: 338 Federal options? - 11/07/20
I hope so too. I didn't ask for price....I guess worst case it has to get rebarreled if the chamber is fubar. The honing sounds like it should be fairly simple but he has a 12 week backlog
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: 338 Federal options? - 11/16/20
[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

Just picked this little darling last week. I also picked up 5 boxes of 210 TTSX. It’s currently at my smiths getting threaded 9/16x24 to be used with a 9/16-5/8x24 adapter so I can use my 338 supressor on this.

Anyone have a good load for the 210 TTSX IN THE 338 federal?
© 24hourcampfire